CENTER OC JAMES REYES HIRED AS NEW LUMBERTON AD/HC

VP93....

1 minute ago, SmashMouth said:

That is correct. Gotta start somewhere. Or they could just sit on their hands and do nothing and piss and moan about why we don’t win. Then go out and buy a new train horn and helmet decals to make everyone feel good til we have a losing season.

How many football coaches are on staff at Lumberton HS?  Start here:  Offer the salary that will entice the type of coach you're looking for, free up money in the budget to give stipends that will allow them to bring whoever they need, and allow it for a reasonable number of coaches that winning programs need.  

Just now, oldschool2 said:

How many football coaches are on staff at Lumberton HS?  Start here:  Offer the salary that will entice the type of coach you're looking for, free up money in the budget to give stipends that will allow them to bring whoever they need, and allow it for a reasonable number of coaches that winning programs need.  

I think that’s reasonable. Can’t complain about that. They just passed a 70 trillion dollar bond. I’m sure they can find a couple bucks here or there... I know I have to when I pay my property taxes now. 😎

I think that’s reasonable. Can’t complain about that. They just passed a 70 trillion dollar bond. I’m sure they can find a couple bucks here or there... I know I have to when I pay my property taxes now. 😎

That’s no joke. But I think it’s going to be nice 👍

6 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Not sure what that is...

That's the reason Lumberton won't get a high name coach like you're advocating for and also the reason they won't get a high name coach's assistants.  

Since that's the case.. maybe don't scoff at any possibility.   Inexperienced AD's is exactly what yall's pay scale says that you want.  

2 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

That's the reason Lumberton won't get a high name coach like you're advocating for and also the reason they won't get a high name coach's assistants.  

Since that's the case.. maybe don't scoff at any possibility.   Inexperienced AD's is exactly what yall's pay scale says that you want.  

I’m not scoffing. I’m saying make a change. Status quo ain’t gonna get you there. 

I’m not scoffing. I’m saying make a change. Status quo ain’t gonna get you there. 

Someone threw a suggestion out earlier to be met with, "Surely you're joking?".  I don't know.. seems a little like scoffing.  Perhaps I misread the situation.  Either way, with the amount of money that Lumberton will likely pay for a football staff.. I'd be open to all options.  It helped you guys immensely by dropping but if it doesn't stay that way,  it will be a very tough football job.  A job that even money won't fix..  No successful coach is gonna go there to get a bunch of L's on the record. 

1 minute ago, oldschool2 said:

Someone threw a suggestion out earlier to be met with, "Surely you're joking?".  I don't know.. seems a little like scoffing.  Perhaps I misread the situation.  Either way, with the amount of money that Lumberton will likely pay for a football staff.. I'd be open to all options.  It helped you guys immensely by dropping but if it doesn't stay that way,  it will be a very tough football job.  A job that even money won't fix..  No successful coach is gonna go there to get a bunch of L's on the record. 

Agreed. 

The last time I saw anything on it (from one of the news sites), Barbay was getting around $95k in Jasper, so their pay scale is most likely very close to Lumberton's. I doubt that he's going anywhere, but I can't help but put Jasper in a hypothetical situation like this. I doubt they would start someone else out at a salary like that unless he came in with the same track record. It would probably be someone with less experience. 

Lumberton is in a tougher spot than Jasper would be just because there would be a lot more work to do to change the culture of the program and like someone mentioned, a lot of losses would pile up in the process. A college that I follow (Nebraska) is going through the same thing with Scott Frost. It's tough and requires a lot of patience from everyone involved. Just find someone that understands winning culture and give him time and money to build it. Most schools go through long periods of losing at some point. I've studied a lot of schools' histories that are posted here and it happens and then someone brings them out of it. 

Just now, Bulldogs92 said:

The last time I saw anything on it (from one of the new sites), Barbay was getting around $95k in Jasper, so their pay scale is most likely very close to Lumberton's. I doubt that he's going anywhere, but I can't help but put Jasper in a hypothetical situation like this. I doubt they would start someone else out at a salary like that unless he came in with the same track record. It would probably be someone with less experience. 

Lumberton is in a tougher spot than Jasper would be just because there would be a lot more work to do to change the culture of the program and like someone mentioned, a lot of losses would pile up in the process. A college that I follow (Nebraska) is going through the same thing with Scott Frost. It's tough and requires a lot of patience from everyone involved. Just find someone that understands winning culture and give him time and money to build it. Most schools go through long periods of losing at some point. I've studied a lot of schools' histories that are posted here and it happens and then someone brings them out of it. It can happen. 

Good post. Exactly what I’m trying to convey. 

Money is important, however lumberton ISD pay scale compares to smaller schools like Orangefield, Bridge City, and Hamshire Fannett.  Just about all assistant coaches teach in the classroom so their stipends are determined by their experience.  I think they can get a well qualified coach.  They need to make sure they get one ready to change the football culture.  I am talking about one that will get the OL and entire defensive unit more physical.  Also one that teaches discipline by eliminating mistakes and penalties. In my opinion, a strong defense has to be the #1 priority. A coach that will teach the importance of being successful in  athletics, the classroom, and life.

9 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Money is important, however lumberton ISD pay scale compares to smaller schools like Orangefield, Bridge City, and Hamshire Fannett.  Just about all assistant coaches teach in the classroom so their stipends are determined by their experience.  I think they can get a well qualified coach.  They need to make sure they get one ready to change the football culture.  I am talking about one that will get the OL and entire defensive unit more physical.  Also one that teaches discipline by eliminating mistakes and penalties. In my opinion, a strong defense has to be the #1 priority. A coach that will teach the importance of being successful in  athletics, the classroom, and life.

There's also a reason that Orangefield, Bridge City, and Hamshire Fannett doesn't have big name coaches either.

Btw.. their stipends have nothing to do with experience.  The teacher pay scale is what it is... but some schools may have a 10K football stipend to go along with that.. possibly another 4K for powerlifting or track.  The teaching salary can be relatively comparable everywhere (big schools)..  But those stipends for extra duties will be what makes it worth while to be an assistant for this school or that one. 

3 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

There's also a reason that Orangefield, Bridge City, and Hamshire Fannett doesn't have big name coaches either.

Btw.. their stipends have nothing to do with experience.  The teacher pay scale is what it is... but some schools may have a 10K football stipend to go along with that.. possibly another 4K for powerlifting or track.  The teaching salary can be relatively comparable everywhere (big schools)..  But those stipends for extra duties will be what makes it worth while to be an assistant for this school or that one. 

If you cross the Trinity heading west the pay scales improve dramatically.  BH pay scale starts at $65,000 for a first year teacher.  Goose Creek and other districts start out at $55,000 or more.

Many assistant coaches  west of the Trinity make more than lots of Head Coaches in the Golden Triangle.  

Babin will probably make more as an assistant in the Houston Area than what he made at Lumberton.

6 minutes ago, oldman said:

If you cross the Trinity heading west the pay scales improve dramatically.  BH pay scale starts at $65,000 for a first year teacher.  Goose Creek and other districts start out at $55,000 or more.

Many assistant coaches  west of the Trinity make more than lots of Head Coaches in the Golden Triangle.  

Babin will probably make more as an assistant in the Houston Area than what he made at Lumberton.

Oh I'm well aware.  

35 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

How much was Scott Surratt making when he first got hired at Cartridge?  What he is making now is a direct result of him achieving elite coaching status because of 7 State Titles in 13 years.

7 minutes ago, Reagan said:

How much was Scott Surratt making when he first got hired at Cartridge?  What he is making now is a direct result of him achieving elite coaching status because of 7 State Titles in 13 years.

I know exactly why he is making what he makes now.. I also know it's nothing close to what he made when he started.  That's not what we're talking about.. I'm full aware that Lumberton will need to hire someone that hasn't yet made a name for themselves.  I'm saying that Lumberton will not be able to buy a big name coach without competing with what big name coaches make.. which they won't/cant.  Schools that pay less than 90-100k are just going to have to deal with the fact that they're going to get someone that hasn't reached that top tier status yet.  

3 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I know exactly why he is making what he makes now.. I also know it's nothing close to what he made when he started.  That's not what we're talking about.. I'm full aware that Lumberton will need to hire someone that hasn't yet made a name for themselves.  I'm saying that Lumberton will not be able to buy a big name coach without competing with what big name coaches make.. which they won't/cant.  Schools that pay less than 90-100k are just going to have to deal with the fact that they're going to get someone that hasn't reached that top tier status yet.  

The point is -- Surrett was not a big name coach.  He was a hit or miss selection.  He'd never been a head coach.  Lumberton will have to make the same choice.  Either hit or miss!  But you are right, they more than likely won't get a big name coach.

Their teaching stipend has everything to do with experience the longer you have been in the teaching profession the more you make

coaching stipends are different. In football offensive and defensive coordinators get more than other assistants and varsity coaches get more than freshman or junior school coaches

in other sports the head of that sport will get more than the assistant

The problem is that the stipend scale at Lumberton is not very good

• WOSgrad changed the title to CENTER OC JAMES REYES HIRED AS NEW LUMBERTON AD/HC