revised projections

stevenash

4 hours ago, stevenash said:

Earlier this week, "models" projected 3000 corona virus deaths in Texas.  That has now been revised to 900.  From Sept 29 of 2019 through January 9 of 2020, there were1126 flu deaths in Texas.,  The flu deaths are from the Texas dept of state health services

I know. Yet my brother, daughter, 2 sisters and countless friends are out of work now. 

So......I guess we’ll have to shut the country down every winter now.  We’ve allowed the government to “mandate” and “restrict” our liberties for awhile now.  We’ve invited big brother to tell us how to live our lives.  Fear rules, and “trust us - we know what’s best for you”.  No thanks.

55 minutes ago, Chester86 said:

So......I guess we’ll have to shut the country down every winter now.  We’ve allowed the government to “mandate” and “restrict” our liberties for awhile now.  We’ve invited big brother to tell us how to live our lives.  Fear rules, and “trust us - we know what’s best for you”.  No thanks.

Yea I saw a story yesterday about opening up beaches in Florida. If you don't follow the rules, you will be subject to prosecution. These new rules are not the typical "no glass bottles, no public nudity." Who decided these new rules? Was it voted on by state reps? I'd bet not. We the people own the land, be it public or private.

11 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I personally know 2 that have now died of corona virus. No one that I know personally has ever died from the flu.

My condolences to you and prayers for the families. I know 2 people that have passed from flu, one was H1N1. Both died shortly after getting the flu shot.

32 minutes ago, stevenash said:

How old were they and did they have an serious underlying medical conditions?

Even though I have stated that I know people who have died from the flu, it was during flu seasons past. I stated that in response to someone who said that they knew someone who had died of coronavirus. In all actuality, it is not a means to judge the severity of either. Death counts are what matter. Whether or not we knew them does not.

12 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I personally know 2 that have now died of corona virus. No one that I know personally has ever died from the flu.

CDC officials do not have exact counts of how many people die from flu each year. Flu is so common that not all flu cases are reported, and flu is not always listed on death certificates. In 2017, there were an estimated 80,000 + flu deaths, much higher than the normal average. So the question to me when trying to use the flu as the barometer as to when we are supposed to freak the hell out over an illness is this: why didn’t we as a nation lose our jobs, our savings, our common sense, our liberties with such an outbreak of the flu? That’s not to say that we should diminish the severity of the China virus. But it should speak volumes to the idea that maybe there has been a gross overreaction regarding this illness. The reaction to the China virus is as much political as well as a field day for the media as anything. Perhaps if there is ANY positive thing that has come from this crap is that maybe we will begin to approach ALL communicable illnesses in a more responsible manner. 

But at what point do we lift restrictions?   As I remember, Stay at Home initially was to slow down the transmission of the disease to prevent Hospitals from being overran.  We’re there.  My question, do we Stay at Home until there’s zero chance of anyone dying from Covid?   Until it goes away?   What if it never goes away, what in the cornbread hail do we do then?    Do we huddle in our homes until we die of Covid, hunger, despair/suicide?   Millions of people/families are losing everything they owned.  At some point, in the near future, we need to open everything up.   Dam the torpedoes, full speed ahead.  Jmo

32 minutes ago, Hagar said:

But at what point do we lift restrictions?   As I remember, Stay at Home initially was to slow down the transmission of the disease to prevent Hospitals from being overran.  We’re there.  My question, do we Stay at Home until there’s zero chance of anyone dying from Covid?   Until it goes away?   What if it never goes away, what in the cornbread hail do we do then?    Do we huddle in our homes until we die of Covid, hunger, despair/suicide?   Millions of people/families are losing everything they owned.  At some point, in the near future, we need to open everything up.   Dam the torpedoes, full speed ahead.  Jmo

No way to stay at home until there's zero chance.  We go to work everyday knowing we could be killed in a wreck.  The flu comes around every year, no stay at home orders.  People die every day due to complications from smoking cigarettes,  no ban on those.  Time to get this country back on track.  

42 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

No way to stay at home until there's zero chance.  We go to work everyday knowing we could be killed in a wreck.  The flu comes around every year, no stay at home orders.  People die every day due to complications from smoking cigarettes,  no ban on those.  Time to get this country back on track.  

Only sure thing about life is you’re going to die.  I’m a high risk person, but I see the need to open up.   What we have is a balance scale.   On one side you have Health, and the other side, Economics.   Currently, Health is getting all the attention, but we need to start the pendulum back to Economics.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

The answer to the question is impossible to know with 100% certainty. But it’s time to test the waters... Governor Abbott has decided to start moving ahead in a very slow process. Good. Not good enough though. Let’s ramp it up a little more even. We are luckier than some regarding the number of deaths. Not near as bad in Southeast Texas. So why not open things up. I’m tired of being protected from myself. I was at the grocery store yesterday sans mask, and a lady who was wearing one commented to me, “You sure are brave...”. I said, “Why, because  I’m not wearing a mask?” She replied yes and I explained to her that 1. I can’t find any N95 masks, 2. If I could, I would save them for my asthmatic son and others in my family who are more at risk,  3. I never wore a mask during flu season and 4. I sanitized my buggy, don’t touch my face, keep about 10 ft. between me and the next guy if possible and finally, I don’t know for certain, but I think we are being led down an unnecessary path that could do worse than kill us. Our freedoms and liberties that hundreds of thousands of people have died for (including my Dad) are slowly but surely being taken away from us. I’ll take my chances. I wished her good luck and continued looking for the perfect tomato. I have no issue with her wearing a mask or trying to ensure her own safety. But I’m a frickin grown man. Can someone let me wipe my own ass for goodness sake?