Silsbee 81 Hardin-Jefferson 51/FINAL

WOSgrad

I've refrained from responding, but I'll throw this out there.  This is the best overall team that I've ever seen silsbee have.  The depth is incredible.  And for not being a big team they rebound very well.  Good things in the near future I would assume.  However I think that if silsbee doesn't win it this year that they may never win it all.  Key players on this team graduate this year in McCain, Newton, Harris, Jones, Barnes and Tyler.  Those 6 will be hard to replace. As far as the series with HJ goes it has lost its thunder a bit.  HJ will be back.  Some great kids in the system coming up.  And more size than HJ has ever had.  But if we are going to bring records up since they were both in the same district only one matters......1-0!

18 minutes ago, Lazeek said:

I've refrained from responding, but I'll throw this out there.  This is the best overall team that I've ever seen silsbee have.  The depth is incredible.  And for not being a big team they rebound very well.  Good things in the near future I would assume.  However I think that if silsbee doesn't win it this year that they may never win it all.  Key players on this team graduate this year in McCain, Newton, Harris, Jones, Barnes and Tyler.  Those 6 will be hard to replace. As far as the series with HJ goes it has lost its thunder a bit.  HJ will be back.  Some great kids in the system coming up.  And more size than HJ has ever had.  But if we are going to bring records up since they were both in the same district only one matters......1-0!

Barnes is a junior.

I was expecting the 1-0.

46 minutes ago, Lazeek said:

Barnes is a junior, he will be around another year.

HJ                         Silsbee

'07                           2                              1

'08                           2                               2

'09                           1                               2

'10                           1                               2

'11                           0                               2

'12                           1                               1

'13                           0                               2

'14                           0                               2

'15                           1                               1

'16                           0                               2

'17                           0                               1

total                         8 wins                      18 wins

7 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Well, Silsbee has now won 12 of the last 14 games against HJ, with two consecutive 30 point wins.

Is the rivalry over?

Despite Silsbee's record in the last several years against HJ, this has remained a rivalry because HJ has consistently played very close games against Silsbee (despite Silsbee having the better team for probably every year but 2 or 3 since they were placed in district together).  The fact that you had two teams in the same district that were basically competing with each other every year to see which team was going to state for a stretch of about 6 or 7 years made the rivalry even greater.  That being said, the rivalry has lost its luster for a couple of reasons, IMO, and neither is the fact that Silsbee has won 14 of the last 18 (or whatever it is, please post the head to head again, AAW).  The first is obviously the fact that currently there is too large of a talent gap between the two schools for HJ to compete.  Right now it's the weakest HJ team in probably 15 years (still a solid team), and the strongest Silsbee team (ever?) this rivalry has seen.    The second reason, in my opinion, is that since the two have moved up to 4A, their routes to regionals has become much tougher.  I remember a couple of years ago HJ had a really solid team (although clearly behind Silsbee), and had a really nice season.  They made it a couple of rounds deep into the playoffs, and put up a great game against a Houston school (Sterling, maybe?), that had pulled in players from all over the city, and was fielding basically a Houston all-star team.  HJ played them close, but eventually lost late.  A few years prior, that HJ team would've been more than good enough to meet Silsbee in the regional finals for a trip to state, but now there are all of these "small" Houston schools that are fielding 4A squads from 6A pools of talent, and it makes it next to impossible for a legitimate small school to advance.   The fact that an HJ/Silsbee regionals matchup hasn't occurred in several years, much of which is a result of having all of these big schools in the way, has dampened the rivalry.  Silsbee's current squad is an obvious exemption to that, but they better take advantage while the can, because it's only going to get harder as big city schools skirt rules and drop classifications to win championships. 

32 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Maybe we can see this data in a pie chart or a bar chart. Maybe a ppt slideshow? 

2 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

HJ has a good team this year. I could see them going 3 rounds at least. 

Kinda what I was referring to in my essay earlier in the thread, though. They still have a solid small school team, but once they get matched up with the "4a" (with 6a talent pools) Houston squads they just don't have the depth and talent pool to compete.  Despite a slightly larger enrollment, HJ is much more like the East Chambers, Bunas, and Kountzes of the world than they are like Yates or Lincoln.  It's frustrating to see my small school alma mater have to match up with big city teams in the playoffs.  In a way it's a shame for silsbee as well, who has a small town team that probably could run off a streak of 3 or 4 state championships in a row if they didn't have to face these same types of teams that are pulling in players from all over major cities.  That said, silsbee still has a very good shot at a championship or two or three these next few years, but if they were playing legitimate 4a schools at regionals and state it would almost be guaranteed.  Maybe silsbee fans feel differently since their team has shown they're capable of competing with these guys, so don't let me speak for y'all. To me it would make a state championship more special to beat out a couple of big city giants, but it would leave a bitter taste in my mouth to miss out on one because their opponents are able to make all star squads out of a city with millions of people, while silsbee is relegated to putting together a team from an area with only a few thousand people.

Once again I will advise everyone to use caution hanging banners two or three years into the future. Strange things can happen dealing with 16 year old players in pressure situations. Silsbee has a very good club, one that should be in the mix for a title. That being said there's lots of basketball still to be played this season.

8 hours ago, whsalum said:

Once again I will advise everyone to use caution hanging banners two or three years into the future. Strange things can happen dealing with 16 year old players in pressure situations. Silsbee has a very good club, one that should be in the mix for a title. That being said there's lots of basketball still to be played this season.

Although, I'm not as knowledgeable on basketball as many of you, I agree with this post 100%.  I've learned one thing, some days, nobody can make a basket.  Why?  Way over my head.  Went w/G'son to see Mav's last Sat.  Silsbee could have beat them.  Hail Mary threes from Dirk, no chance (don't think he'd made one if he had time to say The Rosary).  I do know, as a fan, it's very frustrating.  Can't imagine what it's like for a coach.  Imo, Silsbee would still win most games, even if having an off night.  But having one against a tough opponent, not so sure.  Enough gloom and doom, win a SC Tigers.