What will it take for SETX to start getting the respect that DFW & ETX currently gets?

Combine the three Beaumont schools into one. Or atleast just have two. 

Combine PNG and Nederland into one. 

Combine WOS/LCM/OF into one. 

Other then that. Every now and then we might have a team make a deep run but we as a area are behind times with Dallas FW area. In stadiums/indoor practice/ more coaches on your staff then years past/ practice equipment/ and most all $$$$ 

1 hour ago, navydawg31 said:

Combine the three Beaumont schools into one. Or atleast just have two. 

Combine PNG and Nederland into one. 

Combine WOS/LCM/OF into one. 

Other then that. Every now and then we might have a team make a deep run but we as a area are behind times with Dallas FW area. In stadiums/indoor practice/ more coaches on your staff then years past/ practice equipment/ and most all $$$$ 

If you combine WOS, OF, and LCM you pretty much get just WOS with about 5 or so players from OF and LCM. Combine that with the fact they would be a 6A doesn't bode well for that team. Now if you combine the BMT schools I think you have a team capable of making deep runs. Also as some people stress on here facilities go a long way in those upper classifications and it's something that just isn't as valued around here as metropolitan areas. The better facilities I think over time can make a mediocre athlete a good athlete and a good athlete a great athlete. Whether or not that makes them a better football player depends on the coaching which can be bought with the right amount of money. Which again I'm not sure this area is willing to pay for. 

I don't think that merging schools to create a larger number of 6As or 5A's is the answer.  The last 6A title out of this area occurred 32 years ago (French).  Only 1 team in the area has even gotten out of the region since then (Memorial in 2011(?)).   5A is pretty much the same story, the last 5A title was claimed 29 years ago and the last appearances in the final game have also been few and far between since (WO-S, 1988, 2000, PNG, 1999, Dayton 2008).

And to further that point, East Texas has gained notoriety for the success in lower classifications......4A-2A.  While an occasional John Tyler, Texas High. Marshall or Lufkin might make noise in 6A/5A ranks, East Texas is known for its Gilmers, its Carthages, its Waskoms, Arps and Altos.

No, it is commitment by a community to allow kids to develop.  Sure better facilities may help, but in itself it is not the answer, either. What I mean by community commitment is a community that buys into a coach just as much as the players and allows the coach to be boss.  Not asking for his job after a certain loss, not starting stupid online petitions, not whining about the workouts a coach might not necessarily fit lil' Johnny's favorite sport, not refusing to do something because the newest guru said do it another way.

If you really want to see if the community is in tune with that commitment, don't look at the football forum now.  In a time where the boys are about to hit the field, everyone backs their school's teams.  No, look at the football forum and other forums while jump shots are falling and fastballs are being thrown.  During those times, are you seeing threads and posts complaining about the football coach doing lifting on a certain day or a workout that was "too extreme?"  Do you see posts that call for a coach's head because he "yells" at kids?  Do you have coaches leaving the football program on what seems to be a semi annual basis?  If you see this out of your school, then chances are you do not have a community that has bought in and the chances that your school will be participating in football beyond the first week of November are remote.

Now, I understand that some will claim the desire for a more "balanced" athletic program and I get that.   I am not advocating the sacrifice of any other UIL sport in order to succeed at football.  However, the reality is that those schools who do perennially advance deep in the playoffs in football do not have their program lie dormant while other sports are being played and that for this area to achieve the "respect," that reality must be accepted.

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

I don't think that merging schools to create a larger number of 6As or 5A's is the answer.  The last 6A title out of this area occurred 32 years ago (French).  Only 1 team in the area has even gotten out of the region since then (Memorial in 2011(?)).   5A is pretty much the same story, the last 5A title was claimed 29 years ago and the last appearances in the final game have also been few and far between since (WO-S, 1988, 2000, PNG, 1999, Dayton 2008).

And to further, that point, East Texas has gained notoriety for the success in lower classifications......4A-2A.  While an occasional John Tyler, Texas High. Marshall or Lufkin might make noise in 6A/5A ranks, East Texas is known for its Gilmers, its Waskoms, Arps and Altos.

No, it is commitment by a community to allow kids to develop.  Sure better facilities may help, but in itself it is not the answer either. What I mean by community commitment is a community that buys into a coach just as much as the players and allows the coach to be boss.  Not asking for his job after a certain loss, not starting stupid online petitions, not whining about the workouts a coach might not necessarily fit lil' Johnny's favorite sport, not refusing to do something because the newest guru said do it another way.

If you really want to see if the community is in tune with that commitment, don't look at the football forum now.  In a time where the boys are about to hit the field, everyone backs their school's teams.  No, look at the football forum and other forums while jump shots are falling and fastballs are being thrown.  During those times, are you seeing threads and posts complaining about the football coach doing lifting on a certain day or a workout that was "too extreme?"  Do you see posts that call for a coach's head because he "yells" at kids?  Do you have coaches leaving the football program on what seems to be a semi annual basis.  Then chances are, you do not have a community that has bought in and the chances that your school will be participating in football beyond the first week of November are remote.

Now, I understand that some will claim the desire for a more "balanced" athletic program and I get that.   I am not advocating the sacrifice of any other UIL sport in order to succeed at football.  However, the reality is that those schools who do perennially advance deep in the playoffs in football do not have their program lie dormant while other sports are being played and that for this area to achieve the "respect," that reality must be accepted.

West Brook 1982 state champ