Silsbee hires Cypress Ranch OC Randy Smith

48 minutes ago, SilsbeeFootball15 said:

The main issue is that Mackey (most likely) is leaving and taking his son with him. That is a huge loss for the receivers and the team in general. These kids are brothers and this guy came in and broke it up. It's not Smith's fault, however that's the main issue. Also he runs a 2 back 2 receiver system and that takes away the big threat in our passing game we had last year... All that and possibly losing coaches they have been with for years will  cause the kids to act a little hostile about the whole situation

I know that system will change the big passing numbers.  But I think it has its advantages in that respect as well.   We have Adonis coming back after a good year running the ball he has speed and is tough to bring down. Real good at attacking the middle of a defense.  Add a speed back who gets to the edge easily and things can Definately open up for the passing game.  Sure we won't have all 4 receivers on the field at once, at least most of the time, unless one ends up in the backfield but you could end up with 2 as wideouts and say Barnes at tight end.  Sounds like it could be pretty potent to me.

5 hours ago, Pepper Brooks said:

Most HC coaches will bring other coaches with them 

Change can be a good thing.

Kids and community need to support Coach Smith and the other coaches.

I could not agree more with Pepper Brooks.  Coaching changes happen at every level of play, however the buy in by all parties involved will determine how much success the young men, and women will see.  Silsbee has tons of talent and has had lots of success under the past coaching staff.  With that being said some of the kids that are only playing one sport could have many more opportunities by playing multiple sports.

8 hours ago, SilsbeeFootball15 said:

The main issue is that Mackey (most likely) is leaving and taking his son with him. That is a huge loss for the receivers and the team in general. These kids are brothers and this guy came in and broke it up. It's not Smith's fault, however that's the main issue. Also he runs a 2 back 2 receiver system and that takes away the big threat in our passing game we had last year... All that and possibly losing coaches they have been with for years will  cause the kids to act a little hostile about the whole situation

Anybody who has watched Silsbee play knows it takes a lot less than that to make those kids "act a little hostile."

11 hours ago, Kj Dad said:

Just seen on FB a Silsbee kid complaining saying New OC/DC. I think its time for him to move. An I was told by a Reliable Source, if Mackey Doesn't remain the OC, Lil Mackey was staying. Guessing thing start to change and Mackey's going with his Father.

Depends on the players who are talking.  Some of them just do that.  I  would consider the sources first, but this was     gonna happen at first.  Natural reactions.

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Anybody who has watched Silsbee play knows it takes a lot less than that to make those kids "act a little hostile."

Because Bridge City kids are little angels? They were almost as vocal, physical, and emotional as Silsbee in last season's game. A little more and they might have won... but they performed as expected and lost :)

11 hours ago, ST413 said:

I know that system will change the big passing numbers.  But I think it has its advantages in that respect as well.   We have Adonis coming back after a good year running the ball he has speed and is tough to bring down. Real good at attacking the middle of a defense.  Add a speed back who gets to the edge easily and things can Definately open up for the passing game.  Sure we won't have all 4 receivers on the field at once, at least most of the time, unless one ends up in the backfield but you could end up with 2 as wideouts and say Barnes at tight end.  Sounds like it could be pretty potent to me.

I agree that it will be an effective offense, but the kids do not want to hear that. They are angry with change and that is to be expected. I think the new coach will be a good change in Silsbee's program. From what I've heard he is very big on discipline and respect which is something all programs need in order to be successful. If the kids buy into his program and follow through, with or without Kolten, I think they finish in the top two spots in district this season...

I will never understand why all "disciplined" coaches are run heavy. 

I will never understand why coaches say "you have to establish the run" to win games.

I will never understand why "being a players coach" is somehow paired with being undisciplined.

You can be a players coach, be disciplined and throw the dang ball. These three things DO go together.

Sick and tired of old school, ground and pound, my way or the highway coaches that think they know it all and invented the dang game. 

I understand the kids feelings.  Especially those that have played with Kolten both on the field and the court.  Totally understandable.  They have had a comfort zone with these coaches and of course Kolten is a brother to them.  I hate to see him leave for his senior season.  I have seen comments from them and others about it negating our receiving Corp though, and although the numbers may not be quite as big I think it may help them in some ways.  I think this new offense has the chance to be just as effective without the yardage numbers.  And it could make a big impact on the defense as well.  My point was more towards that perception than towards the kids being upset.  I have had that experience myself a coaching change before my junior and senior year was the main reason I didn't play those years.

10 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I will never understand why coaches say "you have to establish the run" to win games.

I will never understand why "being a players coach" is somehow paired with being undisciplined.

You can be a players coach, be disciplined and throw the dang ball. These three things DO go together.

Sick and tired of old school, ground and pound, my way or the highway coaches that think they know it all and invented the dang game.

I agree... I am a fan of the 4 receiver spread offense myself. However, if it works then it works... If he wants to come in and run the ball, as long as it works, then I won't have one complaint.

34 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I don't think a "disciplined" coach has to be run heavy.  I think disciplined refers to how your team handles itself not how it plays. And of course you can win games without establishing the run but it makes it sure makes it better and more consistent to have both. Now as far as being a players coach and being undisciplined, it may not always be the case but they generally run together.  Generally if a coach is laying down the law more players are upset with him so he isn't considered a players coach. Now some coaches garner enough respect to have well disciplined teams without having to lay down the law. 

1 minute ago, ST413 said:

I don't think a "disciplined" coach has to be run heavy.  I think disciplined refers to how your team handles itself not how it plays. And of course you can win games without establishing the run but it makes it sure makes it better and more consistent to have both. Now as far as being a players coach and being undisciplined, it may not always be the case but they generally run together.  Generally if a coach is laying down the law more players are upset with him so he isn't considered a players coach. Now some coaches garner enough respect to have well disciplined teams without having to lay down the law. 

I just seems to me that those coaches that like to throw the ball get a bad rap as being undisciplined. Just because they want to throw the ball, doesn't mean that they don't believe in the run game. Just because they like to throw the ball, doesn't mean they are undisciplined. It is stupid, but MANY coaches believe this crap. 

34 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

Most people think Silsbee threw the ball more than they ran.  I don't know the numbers but Silsbee ran out of the shotgun with a spread offense.  More running than throwing, just had huge plays on the throwing end due to run success and size, speed mismatches with the receivers.

jmo

you are right only question I have is how many of those runs were actually scrambles.....i think we have the athletes in the skill positions for either offense to be successful.

Silsbee has a chance to do some big things in 4a if everyone buys in to the new coaches program a if Silsbee'sdefense doesn't wear down in  the second half against wo-s then the Tigers could have easily won that game I think the changes will benefit silsbee it's time to stop settling for second and third round playoff exits and start trying to win state titles 

35 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

Most people think Silsbee threw the ball more than they ran.  I don't know the numbers but Silsbee ran out of the shotgun with a spread offense.  More running than throwing, just had huge plays on the throwing end due to run success and size, speed mismatches with the receivers.

jmo

Very, very, very few teams actually throw more than they run.

Teams that are balanced (50/50) or close to it (60/40 - Run/Pass) are the ones that get accused of playing basketball on grass and being undisciplined. 

And any team that lines up with 4 wides better be throwing to all 4 of them or they are giving away tendencies.

2 hours ago, MBaller#1 said:

Silsbee has a chance to do some big things in 4a if everyone buys in to the new coaches program a if Silsbee'sdefense doesn't wear down in  the second half against wo-s then the Tigers could have easily won that game I think the changes will benefit silsbee it's time to stop settling for second and third round playoff exits and start trying to win state titles 

Come on man....really

2 hours ago, MBaller#1 said:

Silsbee defense didn't wear down...WOS defense just tighten up in the second half