Silsbee hires Cypress Ranch OC Randy Smith

If I were to say I thought this was the best hire of the offseason BH fans would say I was hating, but oh well. First and foremost I like this hire because he comes from a program where they run the ball and play stiff defense. Matter of fact they're pretty run heavy, I think the year Cy Ranch went to the finals their qb had the same number of passing and rushing attempts if I remember right. They averaged something like 55 or 60 rushing attempts per game that year.

The second reason I like the hire is because even though he drops down from what's probably the second highest enrollment district in Texas, his talent was about middle of the road comparable to the rest of 9 teams. Yet, he was still able to manufacture points against what I think is the best collection of district coaches in the Houston area. Cy Ranch is a new school but I've always said that if you can win the Cypress district you have to be considered a title contender and he's coming off a team that's done it twice in a row. I think he's going to grind most teams into the ground with Silsbee's talent. My only concern is that he had this success with one of the saltiest defenses in the state the last couple of years backing him up and I know Silsbee's has struggled recently in that area.    

3 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

If I were to say I thought this was the best hire of the offseason BH fans would say I was hating, but oh well. First and foremost I like this hire because he comes from a program where they run the ball and play stiff defense. Matter of fact they're pretty run heavy, I think the year Cy Ranch went to the finals their qb had the same number of passing and rushing attempts if I remember right. They averaged something like 55 or 60 rushing attempts per game that year.

The second reason I like the hire is because even though he drops down from what's probably the second highest enrollment district in Texas, his talent was about middle of the road comparable to the rest of 9 teams. Yet, he was still able to manufacture points against what I think is the best collection of district coaches in the Houston area. Cy Ranch is a new school but I've always said that if you can win the Cypress district you have to be considered a title contender and he's coming off a team that's done it twice in a row. I think he's going to grind most teams into the ground with Silsbee's talent. My only concern is that he had this success with one of the saltiest defenses in the state the last couple of years backing him up and I know Silsbee's has struggled recently in that area.    

Sounds good, but Silsbee WR's  are the most talented on the team for next year. What's gonna happen now turn receivers into running backs! He's in Silsbee now and that means throwing the ball more, but we'll c

42 minutes ago, Bmt_4now said:

Sounds good, but Silsbee WR's  are the most talented on the team for next year. What's gonna happen now turn receivers into running backs! He's in Silsbee now and that means throwing the ball more, but we'll c

I do not care how he does it. Silsbee will score points.

The defensive side of the ball has to get better!

7 hours ago, Bmt_4now said:

I know Silsbee was looking for someone long term and I'm surprised that they didn't hire in house or at least from the area! This coach has done a lot of moving around hopefully he was just look for the right head coaching job and hopefully Silsbee is the right fit! Don't wanna c another opening after a couple years! Good luck to Silsbee!

Kind of my thoughts.  Based on his resume', doesn't look like 4A SETX football is a destination job for him.   Wish the Tigers nothing but success though.  

4 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Looks like a lot of that "Best Receiving Corp in Texas" better figure out how to play safety or db.  Time to brush up on backpedaling. 

Lol.  Such vitriol when it comes to Silsbee.

Talent just needs coaching, some of the players on defense this year were first timers.  Good defense amounts to trusting your teammates to do their job, trust comes from executing their part of the defense and execution comes from players  having the discipline and dedication to get better at doing your job or role in the defensive scheme.

It all comes full circle in my opinion.

Good teams have the talent and great teams use preparation to get the most out of that talent.  Most teams just don't have enough talent every year to win continuously, some teams do.  

12 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

Talent just needs coaching, some of the players on defense this year were first timers.  Good defense amounts to trusting your teammates to do their job, trust comes from executing their part of the defense and execution comes from players  having the discipline and dedication to get better at doing your job or role in the defensive scheme.

Good teams have the talent and great teams use preparation to get the most out of that talent.  Most teams just don't have enough talent every year to win continuously, some teams do.  

And some good receivers are happy just blocking on the outside.  What else can you do with a prima donna receiver in a run-oriented offense?  

O-line is gone, QB gone, and the coach keeps calling up runs?  Could get kinda tense over there.  

10 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

And some good receivers are happy just blocking on the outside.  What else can you do with a prima donna receiver in a run-oriented offense?  

O-line is gone, QB gone, and the coach keeps calling up runs?  Could get kinda tense over there.  

It will still be more than enough.

17 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

That's right, the way we won in college was putting some of our best athlete on special teams! Most high school put the players that doesn't play that much on special teams! I was always thought if you win 2 phases of the game you usually win the game so if Silsbee can score points maybe put some athletes on special teams and force fumbles and win that phase and that also keep ur defense off the field and fresh! Maybe they could maintain that way! Just a thought! Lol

15 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

You just need to worry about BC nailing down that 3rd or 4th place playoff spot.

Silsbee will be just fine