TOM WESTERBERG HIRED AS NEW BARBERS HILL AD/HC!

What's the right type of student athlete?

Well, most of the schools in the district are sending kids to D1 schools for athletic purposes (play football).  Barbers Hill is not.  But, Barbers Hill is probably sending a lot of kids to college for academic reasons.  Maybe even some Ivy League schools.  Not saying Barbers Hill doesn't have talented kids..and not saying those other schools don't have smart kids.  But I don't think BH sways as much toward having a bunch of athletic talent like their district opponents.

Kind of like:  Stanford has very talented players..and every once in a while they have a good enough team to beat some upper echelon schools.  But...year in and year out, they wouldn't do very well in the SEC.  Alabama, LSU, and company just get better players.  Take that how you want.

Well, most of the schools in the district are sending kids to D1 schools for athletic purposes (play football).  Barbers Hill is not.  But, Barbers Hill is probably sending a lot of kids to college for academic reasons.  Maybe even some Ivy League schools.  Not saying Barbers Hill doesn't have talented kids..and not saying those other schools don't have smart kids.  But I don't think BH sways as much toward having a bunch of athletic talent like their district opponents.

Kind of like:  Stanford has very talented players..and every once in a while they have a good enough team to beat some upper echelon schools.  But...year in and year out, they wouldn't do very well in the SEC.  Alabama, LSU, and company just get better players.  Take that how you want.

I'm asking you what kind of student? CP who will most likely win state in our classification has excellent academics and great athletics. Or maybe Aledo who once again is a favorite to win state and has excellent academics and athletics. I don't think you have to have the most D1 players to have a great program at the high school level. If that's the case then Crosby will beat CP hands down.

I'm asking you what kind of student? CP who will most likely win state in our classification has excellent academics and great athletics. Or maybe Aledo who once again is a favorite to win state and has excellent academics and athletics. I don't think you have to have the most D1 players to have a great program at the high school level. If that's the case then Crosby will beat CP hands down.

With the level of athlete BH has right now they can compete in cycles. With their enrollment and the level of competition they play it's almost impossible to do it consistently though. I think once their enrollment gets to 1800-2000 you can start to see them as a yearly contender again. 

You use Cedar Park and Aledo as examples but Cedar park is one of the bigger 5A's in the state and I don't think Johnathan Gray will ever walk down the hall in Barbers Hill. Cedar Park and Aledo also produce their fair share of D1 talent, and some of it the most elite in the country. Over the last decade both of those schools have sent a lot more kids D1 than Crosby has. 

Even Stewart's best teams were with guys like Pearson, Mitchell, Green, and Dugat. He was the only guy winning like that around here. Katy is probably the only team in the state that you can say sort of beats teams at a talent deficit. 

There's a reason the other 1000+ coaches around the state can't copy Katy though. 

With the level of athlete BH has right now they can compete in cycles. With their enrollment and the level of competition they play it's almost impossible to do it consistently though. I think once their enrollment gets to 1800-2000 you can start to see them as a yearly contender again. 

You use Cedar Park and Aledo as examples but Cedar park is one of the bigger 5A's in the state and I don't think Johnathan Gray will ever walk down the hall in Barbers Hill. Cedar Park and Aledo also produce their fair share of D1 talent, and some of it the most elite in the country. Over the last decade both of those schools have sent a lot more kids D1 than Crosby has. 

Even Stewart's best teams were with guys like Pearson, Mitchell, Green, and Dugat. He was the only guy winning like that around here. Katy is probably the only team in the state that you can say sort of beats teams at a talent deficit. 

There's a reason the other 1000+ coaches around the state can't copy Katy though. 

Aledo has continued to win without JG. It's just funny how teams with money and coaching seem to have talent. I'm saying BH has one of those things and with the right coach I think you would start to see talent. I think you will see more teams deep in the playoffs and playing for titles that as you would say look more demographically like BH than Crosby or Dayton. Usually those schools will have money coaching and great academics. Not usually the most FBS talent. Believe me when Dayton played LT in 2007 and I saw LT warming up at Kyle Field I wasn't the least worried. Then the game started and I realized real quick we were way in over our head even with a ton of talent.

The right coach can win with the athletes BH has.....just have to get the right coach, one that is gonna get kids to want to play again. Over the past several years too many kids have quit to concentrate on one sport....mostly baseball. And if you truly look at the baseball team....they don't have D1 players there either, but I'll get to that when baseball starts up on that thread. I think a big name is a mistake. BH will try to bring a coach in with rings, but it will probably be one that is close to his way out. Young and energetic is what they need. 

As for Bruce Taylor as HC......no......great guy, but don't think kids want to play for him either.....he should be on his way out as well....42 years is a long time to coach

Aledo has continued to win without JG. It's just funny how teams with money and coaching seem to have talent. I'm saying BH has one of those things and with the right coach I think you would start to see talent. I think you will see more teams deep in the playoffs and playing for titles that as you would say look more demographically like BH than Crosby or Dayton. Usually those schools will have money coaching and great academics. Not usually the most FBS talent. Believe me when Dayton played LT in 2007 and I saw LT warming up at Kyle Field I wasn't the least worried. Then the game started and I realized real quick we were way in over our head even with a ton of talent.

I understand what you're saying but you keep naming Aledo, who are the other Aledo's? Nobody else with money can find a coach like Aledo's? Why aren't there 10 Aledo's out of the 1400+ Texas High Schools? No they don't have JG anymore, but they still have D1 linemen that block for D1 backs and they throw to D1 receivers. Aledo has a lot of FBS talent, and who do the play in the semis and finals? Brenham, Temple, John Tyler, Manvel, La Marque, Guyer, etc. None of those teams are what I would consider having money and none look demographically like BH. I agree that you don't need those kids to win but it's funny how those teams keep winning.

Even when Dayton played Travis they had Gilbert who ended up being the Gatorade National Player of the Year to go along with 5 or 6 other FBS kids, Dayton had Green and Dugat. After Katy name the best 5-10 6A's in Houston. Probably Manvel, Westfield, Pearland, North Shore, Dickinson, Atascosita, etc. It's not really true to say the teams playing deep into the playoffs are more like BH than Crosby. I'm not saying you need the best athletes to win, I'm just saying there are probably 50+ BH's around Texas but only one Katy.  

We all get wrapped up in winning, no matter what school your at. BH needs someone to lead BH past teams like NC and KWP and get the 3rd or 4th spot. Anyone at BH that thinks we should be winning district championships every year is living in a fantasy world. It also depends on the district you play in. I compare BH to the likes of PNG, Ned, Vidor, KWP, NC, Lumberton in this area. With the right coach, I feel that BH can compete for atleast 3 or 4 most years. BH will never be a 3rd or 4th round contender. 5A is getting tougher every realignment. We do have athletes in other sports besides basketball that could contribute on the football field. Hopefully a new coach can come in and pull some of them to play football as well. Personally, I think the AD and head football coach should be two different positions. The reason being is the HC/AD alot of times don't like to play nice with other sports and therefor pisses of athletes that play other sports and they leave football. Some people may disagree with me on this, but it's my opinion. I feel that the hire that BH will announce will be a really good coach that will get BH back into contention.

I understand what you're saying but you keep naming Aledo, who are the other Aledo's? Nobody else with money can find a coach like Aledo's? Why aren't there 10 Aledo's out of the 1400+ Texas High Schools? No they don't have JG anymore, but they still have D1 linemen that block for D1 backs and they throw to D1 receivers. Aledo has a lot of FBS talent, and who do the play in the semis and finals? Brenham, Temple, John Tyler, Manvel, La Marque, Guyer, etc. None of those teams are what I would consider having money and none look demographically like BH. I agree that you don't need those kids to win but it's funny how those teams keep winning.

Even when Dayton played Travis they had Gilbert who ended up being the Gatorade National Player of the Year to go along with 5 or 6 other FBS kids, Dayton had Green and Dugat. After Katy name the best 5-10 6A's in Houston. Probably Manvel, Westfield, Pearland, North Shore, Dickinson, Atascosita, etc. It's not really true to say the teams playing deep into the playoffs are more like BH than Crosby. I'm not saying you need the best athletes to win, I'm just saying there are probably 50+ BH's around Texas but only one Katy.  

There hasn't been a team in our classification win a title since 06 when LM won I believe.  Lamar Consoladated in 07 but I don't think they were in our region. Why? Tons of talent in region 3. If it's not money and coaching wouldn't we scrape one out every now and then. The only reason I keep bringing up Aledo is because they keep winning. Let's leave them out though. This year if no team from out region wins a title which is very probable that would make 9 years and counting and if you look at who keeps winning a vast majority of time it's teams with money and coaching. Yes they have talent but my argument is they have talent because of the 2 things I mentioned. Guess we will see come December. I will wager that the teams that walk away with rings in our classification will be wealthy well coached and will not be the 2 teams with a ton of D1 talent. Otherwise my SOC pick of last year would of been spot on.

Edited by bronco pride

We all get wrapped up in winning, no matter what school your at. BH needs someone to lead BH past teams like NC and KWP and get the 3rd or 4th spot. Anyone at BH that thinks we should be winning district championships every year is living in a fantasy world. It also depends on the district you play in. I compare BH to the likes of PNG, Ned, Vidor, KWP, NC, Lumberton in this area. With the right coach, I feel that BH can compete for atleast 3 or 4 most years. BH will never be a 3rd or 4th round contender. 5A is getting tougher every realignment. We do have athletes in other sports besides basketball that could contribute on the football field. Hopefully a new coach can come in and pull some of them to play football as well. Personally, I think the AD and head football coach should be two different positions. The reason being is the HC/AD alot of times don't like to play nice with other sports and therefor pisses of athletes that play other sports and they leave football. Some people may disagree with me on this, but it's my opinion. I feel that the hire that BH will announce will be a really good coach that will get BH back into contention.

Dang man we haven't finished better than 3rd or 4th the last 3 years. Don't take our spot. Lol. 

BTW, D1 athletes don't automatically mean you go far or win state. When my wife taught at Katy HS in the early 2000's, Katy was either winning state or playing for state. I could count on two hands how many kids went D1 from all of those teams combined.

Katy has always been good about every player on the field taking care of their assignment each play. That has been the case for the last 20 years and it equals wins and success.

Edited by TradenupBH

In this time in day, its about 3 things.... Money, facilities, and location.... Period............. If you do not have all 3, you will not stay on top.. LT is a prime example, came from never doing anything, to 5 in a row... Look at the location, the facilities, and we all know the money... Watch the finals on TV this year and listen to the announcers.. D1 kids going to SEC schools that have played for sometimes 3 high schools, tons of them play for at least 2... The good ole UIL has let it go to a point where its a miniature college scene. But back to BH.. BH is a great school, but have more issues with other things than devoting it all to sports.. My cousin was ran off from BH with the last regime.. Hes at King doing pretty well for himself running the offense.. BH has had good coaches before.. It takes more than that.. Crosby is in a good spot for the next 3 or so years, due to location, facilities and money, in that order.. Take the Mid County teams... Neauman coaches to get to the playoffs, as well as PN-G. Thats about as far as it goes.. Guess what, look at the location for 1... Then for Nederland look at facilities, then money... Yep, you guessed right, playoffs are about as good of a goal as your going to get.. PN-G same boat.. Location, is nothing better than horrible.. Now we have great Facilities, and money, but location is way less than desirable.. Dont get me wrong, these 2 get a few good athletes and every 4 or 5 years might get a few rounds, but its due to in house talent... PAM could win on a consistent basis, because they have tons of D1 kids every year.. But guess what they lack, money, facilities, and coaching... So it takes a certain SETUP to win.. Do not think for 1 second Katy lacks athletes... They have awesome facilities, a booster club that donates over half a million a year, and location is prime.... So in the nutshell do not fool yourself, because High School Football is BIG BUSINESS IN THE STATE OF TEXAS..... If you do not believe me, Just ask Art Briles......

BTW, D1 athletes don't automatically mean you go far or win state. When my wife taught at Katy HS in the early 2000's, Katy was either winning state or playing for state. I could count on two hands how many kids went D1 from all of those teams combined.

Nederland consistently beats teams with a lot more D1 talent than they have. They do it with coaching and the community and kids all buy in. Whaley projects a lot better at the college level that's why he gets all the FBS offers and rightly so but IMO Kraus is a better high school player which is all that matters for winning at the high school level.

Nederland consistently beats teams with a lot more D1 talent than they have. They do it with coaching and the community and kids all buy in. Whaley projects a lot better at the college level that's why he gets all the FBS offers and rightly so but IMO Kraus is a better high school player which is all that matters for winning at the high school level.

You are right and Wrong... Nederland is beating other schools with the same non existent D1 talent... Once the playoffs come around, they do not make any big runs.. Krautz is a great High School player, Whaley could project better as a college player... I would also say Nederland has had more D1 kids than any other team in the district combined over the last 10 years (FBS).. And that number would be 2.. Thats correct 2... Dravonte Johnson with UT, and the Washington kid with A&M.... Livingston had 1 who went to UT and Strong booted.. Everyone else a big goose egg.....

In this time in day, its about 3 things.... Money, facilities, and location.... Period............. If you do not have all 3, you will not stay on top.. LT is a prime example, came from never doing anything, to 5 in a row... Look at the location, the facilities, and we all know the money... Watch the finals on TV this year and listen to the announcers.. D1 kids going to SEC schools that have played for sometimes 3 high schools, tons of them play for at least 2... The good ole UIL has let it go to a point where its a miniature college scene. But back to BH.. BH is a great school, but have more issues with other things than devoting it all to sports.. My cousin was ran off from BH with the last regime.. Hes at King doing pretty well for himself running the offense.. BH has had good coaches before.. It takes more than that.. Crosby is in a good spot for the next 3 or so years, due to location, facilities and money, in that order.. Take the Mid County teams... Neauman coaches to get to the playoffs, as well as PN-G. Thats about as far as it goes.. Guess what, look at the location for 1... Then for Nederland look at facilities, then money... Yep, you guessed right, playoffs are about as good of a goal as your going to get.. PN-G same boat.. Location, is nothing better than horrible.. Now we have great Facilities, and money, but location is way less than desirable.. Dont get me wrong, these 2 get a few good athletes and every 4 or 5 years might get a few rounds, but its due to in house talent... PAM could win on a consistent basis, because they have tons of D1 kids every year.. But guess what they lack, money, facilities, and coaching... So it takes a certain SETUP to win.. Do not think for 1 second Katy lacks athletes... They have awesome facilities, a booster club that donates over half a million a year, and location is prime.... So in the nutshell do not fool yourself, because High School Football is BIG BUSINESS IN THE STATE OF TEXAS..... If you do not believe me, Just ask Art Briles......

Agree and disagree. First, years from 2001 through 2005 at Katy HS, they had good HS athletes, hardly any went D1 and that's a fact. Alot of kids to pick from, but not many D1. Second, BH is alot like PNG as in other ISSUES. Look when MB was forced out. That was community pissed off, same as how BH got with current coach. Don't know before that because I was at PNG and was there through the MB years. I understand it takes more then a good coach to be successful. My point was one, BH community needs to realize that a playoff spot is the goal, not state championships (won't happen) and two, a school can win and be successful without D1 talent.

You are right and Wrong... Nederland is beating other schools with the same non existent D1 talent... Once the playoffs come around, they do not make any big runs.. Krautz is a great High School player, Whaley could project better as a college player... I would also say Nederland has had more D1 kids than any other team in the district combined over the last 10 years (FBS).. And that number would be 2.. Thats correct 2... Dravonte Johnson with UT, and the Washington kid with A&M.... Livingston had 1 who went to UT and Strong booted.. Everyone else a big goose egg.....

I was referring to their dominance in district play not playoff runs. I am a little shocked that Nederland has put out more D1 talent over the last 10 years than all the teams in your district combined. Why do you think that is. Is there no talent in the beaumont area or are the kids not being promoted and coached up.

Edited by bronco pride

Define "D1". Is it FBS vs FCS?

REL currently has 2 players at D1 Incarnate Word and GCM has 1 player there. Do they count?

I was referring to their dominance in district play not playoff runs. I am a little shocked that Nederland has put out more D1 talent over the last 10 years than all the teams in your district combined. Why do you think that is. Is there no talent in the beaumont area or are the kids not being promoted and coached up.

I left out the Central, they have put some D1 kids, and Ozen put out Tony Brown...

So to my point Nederland is beating teams with more talent at least FBS talent and I'm assuming it's because they have better coaching. Were did the stat of no one on the last 10 years going D1 come from. Lol. For a minute I thought I was nuts.

That is actually me not sure why it shows Stattrax

Edited by bronco pride

That is actually me not sure why it shows Stattrax

I must have gotten tired of typing..lol.. Central has had some D1 talent, but lacks facilities and money, and coaching.. Ozen is in the same boat.. PN-G, Lumberton, and Vidor, have had no D1 talent for a long time.. Not sure about GCM and Baytown, but since they struggle to win games I imagine they are in the same boat...

I must have gotten tired of typing..lol.. Central has had some D1 talent, but lacks facilities and money, and coaching.. Ozen is in the same boat.. PN-G, Lumberton, and Vidor, have had no D1 talent for a long time.. Not sure about GCM and Baytown, but since they struggle to win games I imagine they are in the same boat...

GCM and Lee both have 1 going D1 this year. Not much else.. Some talented kids but it doesn't seem like the coaches are developing the talent.