TOM WESTERBERG HIRED AS NEW BARBERS HILL AD/HC!

.   Gage is a good man, taught and coached for a lot of years and won his share of games and did have a couple of Rings, cannot knock that or take that away.,  his whole career should not just be remembered by what he did not do in BH. ( though hated watching the offense)  Another post said it, we never had a ton of talent from the beginning, my biggest disappointment was we never got a good lifting and strength program started here.so never got bigger or stronger,and it showed,   BH has a decent 2017 class, and a above avg 2018 class, they will no way be in the talent class that Crosby or Dayton has, but could be a New Caney and fight for 3rd or 4th, which is a good start. Who ever comes in will have to build from the ground up and it starts in the off season weight room.  The kids look like Cross Country runners for a reason, no weight program, Need to hire as great strength coach ( they got the money), this takes time but builds a culture and that is the foundation for the future, wins won't come over night    

I have to ask....have you ever seen their off season workouts? Those kids work just as hard or harder than any kids in the area. They don't need a power lifting program to become strong. Most of those kids would not even be in power lifting.....they play baseball and basketball as well. I don't think they off season program is a problem, you might because your not seeing a change in your son because he does not do the extra work. The main problem is genetics.  I've said it before....at the hill a 4.6 is really fast.  You can't teach a kid to run a 4.4. That's on genetics. Now maybe there is a coach out there that can win with these kids, but better not bring the spread. There is not a QB in the school that can throw, and that includes those that quit to play just baseball. Gage was about to have a lot of kids quit because he lost them. There are some other coaches on staff that lost those kids as well. Question is will the next coach be given the ability to clean house like Gage did? Don't think that's a good idea. Every coach that Gage brought in did not stay the whole time he was there.....most left or was forced to leave. Will be an interesting off season

As much as I like Crosby, sometimes you guys are crazy.

Evans can win with the kids they have there right now. Play defense, control the clock by running the ball well. Develop a QB who can move them down the field when there is need. Evans can do all of those things.

C'mon man. You're talking apples and oranges. Tatum produces NFL players, Barbers Hill is probably close to three times their size and can't produce a D1 kid. I'm not at all saying that's what you need to win but you also have to ask yourself who they're going to beat? It's a lot easier to win when you have better players than everybody else. 

Price and Gage both won district titles at BH, Price going undefeated. Last time they were able to get into the playoffs they won 31-0, the next two years they went 6-4 and missed them. It's just hard to win consistently given some of the factors against them. 

I have to ask....have you ever seen their off season workouts? Those kids work just as hard or harder than any kids in the area. They don't need a power lifting program to become strong. Most of those kids would not even be in power lifting.....they play baseball and basketball as well. I don't think they off season program is a problem, you might because your not seeing a change in your son because he does not do the extra work. The main problem is genetics.  I've said it before....at the hill a 4.6 is really fast.  You can't teach a kid to run a 4.4. That's on genetics. Now maybe there is a coach out there that can win with these kids, but better not bring the spread. There is not a QB in the school that can throw, and that includes those that quit to play just baseball. Gage was about to have a lot of kids quit because he lost them. There are some other coaches on staff that lost those kids as well. Question is will the next coach be given the ability to clean house like Gage did? Don't think that's a good idea. Every coach that Gage brought in did not stay the whole time he was there.....most left or was forced to leave. Will be an interesting off season

Dayton might have one legit 4.4 guy. You don't have to run a 4.4 to have an effective offense. It's funny how all these schools have 4.4 kids everywhere then you watch a NFL combine and realize not so many 4.4 guys.

Edited by bronco pride

Dayton might have one legit 4.4 guy. You don't have to run a 4.4 to have an effective offense. It's funny how all these schools have 4.4 kids everywhere then you watch a NFL combine and realize not so many 4.4 guys.

we had three this season, our next ballgame is next yr lol (no playoffs with only 3 wins) 

we had three this season, our next ballgame is next yr lol (no playoffs with only 3 wins) 

So true. Kids that are coached up run good routes and have good hands. Knowing assignments on defense pursuit angles tackling. So much a good coach can do and what usually happens is you find out there are some really good players just didn't know it because of poor coaching or scheme. I forget what Jerry Rice and Emmit Smith ran. Pretty sure closer to 4.6 than 4.4. They were both descent I guess.

Edited by bronco pride

Ok....I get that most schools don't have many 4.4 guys, but the hill has 2 or 3 4.6 guys with a bunch of 5.1 guys.....I'm not saying that these kids can't win....just think that expectations are pretty high for kids that are just not very athletic. Do think the main problem is kids are wanting out of the program. Maybe it's happening everywhere, but there a lot of kids concentrating on 1 sport, and it's not foorball

Yes I have seen the workouts, not impressed.    Lifting  correctly makes a huge difference, I stated BH will not have the level of athletes that Crosby or Dayton has,but with lack of athletic ability and over all speed, you better have strength and size.   As far as my kid not going the extra mile or working extra,, you must know him, because he does not go the extra mile, He is starting to see the importance of it now and now starting to lift extra, after getting man handled by Crosby and Dayton he knows he has to get stronger and bigger,  (starting to see Dad was right, but he ain't going to admit that,)( teenagers), I was really referring to almost every kid in the program, no size or over all strength.      When I played, we had a heck of a weight program, made a huge difference, most of us were sticks our freshman year, lacked over all athletic talent and speed, but by the end of Jr year it paid off.  We were able to man handle teams..   You are right, we don't have the over all athletes , but we do have some.   I do think we have some kids that can throw in that school, maybe in baseball or basketball, how would anyone know if we didn't , we have not thrown the ball in 6 years at BH..    Who ever gets the program will have a lot of work to do, and it takes a few years to build a good program,  I know some look through rose colored glasses and think we should start winning now, or think just because their kid cant do it, then there is no other kid in the school that can do it. These kids will have to learn a whole new system and again can only do so much about God given speed, but you do have control over getting bigger and stronger, that has to happen,and have a way to motivate kids to go the extra mile and build a culture where every kid dreams of putting on their communities High School uniform and playing for the home crowd, and will give everything they have on the field and in the gym.  We lost a lot of that over the last 5 years, and you are correct on that kids were dropping out of the program or hating it or not wanting to work extra,  I wonder as well if the new coach will clean house, hope they leave some alone, Need a OC and Strength coach, hope they leave the DC, kids like him and want to play for him..

Loosing the pride over the past 5 years is on the administration.  They hired Gage. They have the arrogance of having the stipulation that the new coach has to have a ring.....worked out well with this last coach they hired. One of BH's problems is the administration getting caught up in image.  Doesn't matter what you look like on the outside if your broke on the inside. School board should think about going after a guy that can get the kids to want to play and not worry about the political bs......worked out well for crosby.....I'm not saying you have to go out and hire a 1st time head coach, but make sure it's the right guy. Just because a guy won a ring in the 90s doesn't mean he's a good coach. Find a guy that wants to be there not one that is looking to help his retirement numbers go up. Don't help somebody pay off their lake house.... hire the guy that can truly make a difference in those kids lives, one that coaches not stands there with his arms crossed, one that motivates by actions and is there during athletics,  not one that shows up at the end and gives a 5 min speech. Go get one that relates.....as far as having big strong kids.....strong you can help....big is still genetics.....can't coach your o line to be 6'2 280......just saying

Edited by bljnhjs19

As much as I like Crosby, sometimes you guys are crazy.

Evans can win with the kids they have there right now. Play defense, control the clock by running the ball well. Develop a QB who can move them down the field when there is need. Evans can do all of those things.

Wrong, wrong, wrong and still wrong. Three yards and a cloud of dust is garbage. You can NOT completely stop the teams in that District. Defense and ball control are not the way to go. Nobody with any sense will tell you that Southlake and Highland Park out athlete people. These are the type of kids on the Hill. Do NOT pigeon hole them because of the color of their skin or their academic abilities. This is the type of program where you can teach the kids highly intuitive concepts in the passing game and running game, be multiple and check plays at the line based on the fronts and coverage. You can take advantage of what the defense gives you because of the intelligence of the kids. Also, because of the financial advantage of the community, these kids will get the best individual coaching possible. If you commit to the passing game, you will have multiple kids with specialized training and receivers with great route running skills because the parents will seek out the extra coaching the high school staff can not give them because of UIL restrictions. Vision and progress, NOT turn back the clock to some OLD ways. Tried and failed.

Wrong, wrong, wrong and still wrong. Three yards and a cloud of dust is garbage. You can NOT completely stop the teams in that District. Defense and ball control are not the way to go. Nobody with any sense will tell you that Southlake and Highland Park out athlete people. These are the type of kids on the Hill. Do NOT pigeon hole them because of the color of their skin or their academic abilities. This is the type of program where you can teach the kids highly intuitive concepts in the passing game and running game, be multiple and check plays at the line based on the fronts and coverage. You can take advantage of what the defense gives you because of the intelligence of the kids. Also, because of the financial advantage of the community, these kids will get the best individual coaching possible. If you commit to the passing game, you will have multiple kids with specialized training and receivers with great route running skills because the parents will seek out the extra coaching the high school staff can not give them because of UIL restrictions. Vision and progress, NOT turn back the clock to some OLD ways. Tried and failed.

**See Georgetown,

Loosing the pride over the past 5 years is on the administration.  They hired Gage. They have the arrogance of having the stipulation that the new coach has to have a ring.....worked out well with this last coach they hired. One of BH's problems is the administration getting caught up in image.  Doesn't matter what you look like on the outside if your broke on the inside. School board should think about going after a guy that can get the kids to want to play and not worry about the political bs......worked out well for crosby.....I'm not saying you have to go out and hire a 1st time head coach, but make sure it's the right guy. Just because a guy won a ring in the 90s doesn't mean he's a good coach. Find a guy that wants to be there not one that is looking to help his retirement numbers go up. Don't help somebody pay off their lake house.... hire the guy that can truly make a difference in those kids lives, one that coaches not stands there with his arms crossed, one that motivates by actions and is there during athletics,  not one that shows up at the end and gives a 5 min speech. Go get one that relates.....as far as having big strong kids.....strong you can help....big is still genetics.....can't coach your o line to be 6'2 280......just saying

You hit the nail on the head, cannot hire a coach who wants to improve salary over the next 5 years to increase pension.  Don't need a ring from 1967, or someone that just coached a big program,  We need a coach that can teach our kids to love the game again, energy, does not make a kid feel like crap all the time. I bet half our coaches did not play past high school, most the good ones left, (Coach Taylor is awesome though).  I tried to give Gage some credit for the past, he had to do something right to win state and win as many games as he won, but looked to be just there for the ride the last 4 years and so caught up in his system he refused to change anything, that would had been work..  I agree the administration killed the desire of football in most kids, that is why they went to other sports.  Who searches for a coach ?  How does that work, because our school board knows nothing about football and our superintendent, not sure on what he knows.   

I agreed with you on everything, except the over all genetics for all of our kids, I think the kids work hard when they are there, but it is about technique and train like a football player, I didn't see that, and not alone on that one, plus look at our kids, there are some that are genetically cursed , but there are some big dads and sometimes in BH some bigger MOMS, LOL.     We have a lot of kids 6'0 plus and weigh under 180 lbs, the potential of having 6'0 plus 245 lb kids vs 6'0 plus 170 lbs kids is there.  I also think we have kids that can play, not all super athletes, but we have kids that can throw and catch, we have no leave you in the dust kids, but there are a couple of kids that can play QB, one was on varsity this year and never got a chance, the other is in baseball, there may be a few more, but no matter who gets the QB job there will be critics and same as  the new coach,  but we don't know until we go into another system..   JMO, so lets see what will happen.  Maybe they can put a team together from this forum to be the search committee,.  My last long winded post (I know, Thank Goodness, rambling BH poster)

You hit the nail on the head, cannot hire a coach who wants to improve salary over the next 5 years to increase pension.  Don't need a ring from 1967, or someone that just coached a big program,  We need a coach that can teach our kids to love the game again, energy, does not make a kid feel like crap all the time. I bet half our coaches did not play past high school, most the good ones left, (Coach Taylor is awesome though).  I tried to give Gage some credit for the past, he had to do something right to win state and win as many games as he won, but looked to be just there for the ride the last 4 years and so caught up in his system he refused to change anything, that would had been work..  I agree the administration killed the desire of football in most kids, that is why they went to other sports.  Who searches for a coach ?  How does that work, because our school board knows nothing about football and our superintendent, not sure on what he knows.   

I agreed with you on everything, except the over all genetics for all of our kids, I think the kids work hard when they are there, but it is about technique and train like a football player, I didn't see that, and not alone on that one, plus look at our kids, there are some that are genetically cursed , but there are some big dads and sometimes in BH some bigger MOMS, LOL.     We have a lot of kids 6'0 plus and weigh under 180 lbs, the potential of having 6'0 plus 245 lb kids vs 6'0 plus 170 lbs kids is there.  I also think we have kids that can play, not all super athletes, but we have kids that can throw and catch, we have no leave you in the dust kids, but there are a couple of kids that can play QB, one was on varsity this year and never got a chance, the other is in baseball, there may be a few more, but no matter who gets the QB job there will be critics and same as  the new coach,  but we don't know until we go into another system..   JMO, so lets see what will happen.  Maybe they can put a team together from this forum to be the search committee,.  My last long winded post (I know, Thank Goodness, rambling BH poster)

Have a dad at the Hill who played 8 years in the NFL. Also I know a ton of parents and kids from BH and they have plenty of talent to be successful. Problem is most don't play football. 

This job has been open for a mere one day, and I know this is news to everyone, but there's some inside information saying Beasley is the man. Dont look for this to begin moving for a few weeks though.

The folks in the land of the screaming blue eagle are about to find out. Beasley's steamrolling offense will take the Eagles to new heights offensively. Get ready Barbers Hill...you got a great one 

The folks in the land of the screaming blue eagle are about to find out. Beasley's steamrolling offense will take the Eagles to new heights offensively. Get ready Barbers Hill...you got a great one 

Isn't this guy like 35, has he ever even called a play at the high school level? I know Crosby got a young guy but he was also a state championship level coordinator. BH tries to steamroll people now and can't, it would be more of the same trying to run La Porte's offense without La Porte's caliber of players.