TOM WESTERBERG HIRED AS NEW BARBERS HILL AD/HC!

That's definitely one of the more ignorant comments I've seen on here this year. I would assume apples to oranges is what you were talking about? Evans won those state titles with Lennon Creer and Denarius Moore. Creer was the most dominant player at the small school level at that time and Moore was a future NFL draft pick, he had them both on the same team in 2A/3A. The next time Tatum was really good they had Jalen Overstreet who was at the time probably the #5 dual-threat qb in the entire country . . . playing 2A. Some places, especially at the small school level you're going to win sometime because your players are just that much better than everybody else. When Tatum had to come up this last alignment and their talent level didn't dwarf everybody they went 7-16, the last time they came up before that was '08 and '09 when they went 11-11. It's a lot different coaching when you have the best players on the field, that's never going to be the case if he went to BH.

You can even look at the Rivals pages and see the talent difference even though BH has the much larger enrollment. Kids at each school that were recruited enough to receive a profile:

Tatum:  

This is the hidden content, please

Barbers Hill:

That's definitely one of the more ignorant comments I've seen on here this year. I would assume apples to oranges is what you were talking about? Evans won those state titles with Lennon Creer and Denarius Moore. Creer was the most dominant player at the small school level at that time and Moore was a future NFL draft pick, he had them both on the same team in 2A/3A. The next time Tatum was really good they had Jalen Overstreet who was at the time probably the #5 dual-threat qb in the entire country . . . playing 2A. Some places, especially at the small school level you're going to win sometime because your players are just that much better than everybody else. When Tatum had to come up this last alignment and their talent level didn't dwarf everybody they went 7-16, the last time they came up before that was '08 and '09 when they went 11-11. It's a lot different coaching when you have the best players on the field, that's never going to be the case if he went to BH.

You can even look at the Rivals pages and see the talent difference even though BH has the much larger enrollment. Kids at each school that were recruited enough to receive a profile:

Tatum:  

Barbers Hill:

+1,000

Welp I just read a DCTF art.on Former BH(98-2009) HC Don Price.Article states he was 99-35.1996-2006 Price won 10 games(5) times & at least 8 gm every year.All this success came w/o a FBS player on his roster.Gage 5 yrs=36-18.In 4 yrs Price turned King's undiciplined program around to team that beat Dayt badly(by 62 pts) 2014-2015 & still playin with some FBS kids.Ask me BH is looking for atheletes,until =a revolving door,smh.CE King picked for 21-5a 3 peat in basketball

Edited by liltex

Welp I just read a DCTF art.on Former BH(98-2009) HC Don Price.Article states he was 99-35.1996-2006 Price won 10 games(5) times & at least 8 gm every year.All this success came w/o a FBS player on his roster.Gage 5 yrs=36-18.In 4 yrs Price turned King's undiciplined program around to team that beat Dayt badly(by 62 pts) 2014-2015 & still playin with some FBS kids.Ask me BH is looking for atheletes,until =a revolving door,smh.CE King picked for 21-5a 3 peat in basketball

But does C.E. King have a run-thru tunnel? That's a pretty big deal.

This. BH has won in the past without athletes. They were quite successful under Price, and they ran him out of the door. Take a look at what Evans did at East Chambers if you want to see the difference coaching can make. He didn't bring those athletes with him to EC, he developed them. Same story in Tatum. You guys talk like these kids are bred to play and coaching and sculpting has nothing to do with it. Crosby had athletes before Riordan....explain to me why they are one of the top teams in the state rather than the first or second round exits they used to experience. BH will never have the athletes that Crosby or Dayton has, so I guess they ought to get rid of the program, right? Wrong. There are guys who can develop those guys at BH and coach them up in such a way that they put Crosby and Dayton into dog fights each and every year. Evans is one of those guys.

This. BH has won in the past without athletes. They were quite successful under Price, and they ran him out of the door. Take a look at what Evans did at East Chambers if you want to see the difference coaching can make. He didn't bring those athletes with him to EC, he developed them. Same story in Tatum. You guys talk like these kids are bred to play and coaching and sculpting has nothing to do with it. Crosby had athletes before Riordan....explain to me why they are one of the top teams in the state rather than the first or second round exits they used to experience. BH will never have the athletes that Crosby or Dayton has, so I guess they ought to get rid of the program, right? Wrong. There are guys who can develop those guys at BH and coach them up in such a way that they put Crosby and Dayton into dog fights each and every year. Evans is one of those guys.

Welp good luck on BH search,luck can't help Dayt 957 pts allowed past 3 yrs smh

BH is like a lower enrollment Friendswood and they seem to drum up plenty of athletes and are very competitive. Get a good coach with good participation and BH will be fine. On another note damn Liltex I didn't realize Dayton D had given up that many points the last 3 years. What happened to the Dayton D everyone was scared of.

BH is like a lower enrollment Friendswood and they seem to drum up plenty of athletes and are very competitive. Get a good coach with good participation and BH will be fine. On another note damn Liltex I didn't realize Dayton D had given up that many points the last 3 years. What happened to the Dayton D everyone was scared of.

Just retired !

Couple things:

East Chambers has done as much or more since Evans left as they did when he was there.  So..yeah.  And Tatum...it's an awful funny  coincidence that Evans won 2 state titles when he had superior athletes...yet has had mediocre at best years without them.  Case in point...0-10 this season.  Did he all the sudden forget how to develop athletes?.. or try a couple years under a new game plan?..  It's ok. You don't have to answer.

And...Barbers Hill was successful before: 1) In a lower classification. 2) When they did jump classifications the district was different.  This district did not look the same when Don Price was there as it does now.

I'm just saying.  Athletes make THE difference.  You can think what you want...but you can't win a horse race with a donkey.  I don't care how good of a trainer you are. 

Dwayne Nunez, C.E. Kings OC, might be a good fit at BH. He's coached there before as an assistant and look what he is doing with Kings offense.

Kings offense is three players one happens to be one of the best at his position in the country. Not gonna be pretty when the cupboard is empty, not to mention the move to 6A. IMO.

BH was successful under Price when they were the big school down in 3A(4A). He went undefeated his first season they moved up, then subsequently went .500 the next four years combined. When Price got fired he turned over a young team to Gage that had went 7-4 the year before and were poised to have the season they did in 2011. Since taking over for Price he's 33-20 and has one playoff win to his credit while Price never won a playoff game after they moved up. Every few years BH does get Dayton or Crosby in a dog fight.

I understand what you're saying about Riordan coming into Crosby and getting us past the second round hump, but if Evans develops players so well then why couldn't he get East Chambers past the second round? You do realize that in a 6 year span at running back alone he had Lennon Creer(Tennessee), Bryce Beal(Houston) and BJ Allen(Baylor). On some of those same teams he had Denarius Moore(Tennessee) and Chance Blackmon(Colorado). If they didn't score enough they had guys like Stephen Hodge(TCU) on the defensive side of the ball.

I understand your theory about his level of player development. I'm just telling you it's a lot easier to win the derby if you already have a bunch of thoroughbreds in the stable to choose from versus trying to "develop" some.

I gotcha. Just saw how well they were doing and remembered how he was a BH before. Nunez dad was a pretty successful offense line coach in the college ranks. Dwayne is a very knowlegable guy and knows how to get kids ready to play.

By no means do i intend to take anything away from Coach Nunez.  I just think it's hard to judge King offensively, with those 3 players.

By no means do i intend to take anything away from Coach Nunez.  I just think it's hard to judge King offensively, with those 3 players.

It may not be a stretch to think King has three more players like that coming though. When Williams was a freshman they had a kid named AJ Jeffery that played running back there before he transferred to Summer Creek. When I was talking football one day with my cousin who's a coach at North Shore he told me about the freshman back at King which was Williams at the time.

I didn't really get to see film of Williams freshman's year until after he was a sophomore and getting noticed. It was impressive. Well, now they have another freshman back who also wears #3 and is probably even more impressive. They definitely have receivers that project to be as good as Coleman too. And as usual, they have speed to burn. Not to mention they're probably picking transfers from North Shore and North Forest who are only 5 or 6 miles away. IMO, the ability of King's staff to develop quarterbacks is where their success will lie or not. They're probably fine everywhere else as long as they can stay in 5A. 

I think the next HC at BH will be a prime "get" ;)

We'll see in a few weeks. 

I think that BH is going to go out and get a guy that is a proven winner.  Probably someone with a big school state championship..or more.  But he'll get there and have the same success that all of these past BH coaches will have.  Not much.  It's unfortunate but they don't have the right type of student athlete to compete with the Dayton, Crosby, Humble, C.E. King, etc...'s of the world year after year.

That school strikes me as a place that is dominant in all activities that require superior intelligence and/or unique skill set.  Example: academics, band, girl's basketball, baseball, softball, distance running,..  And activities that require just raw athleticism are probably a struggle.  Football, track, boys basketball.  I'm no follower of Barbers Hill or anything...but I'd be willing to bet no school in the district wants to have a Test Score contest.  But none would have a problem with a footrace.

I think that BH is going to go out and get a guy that is a proven winner.  Probably someone with a big school state championship..or more.  But he'll get there and have the same success that all of these past BH coaches will have.  Not much.  It's unfortunate but they don't have the right type of student athlete to compete with the Dayton, Crosby, Humble, C.E. King, etc...'s of the world year after year.

That school strikes me as a place that is dominant in all activities that require superior intelligence and/or unique skill set.  Example: academics, band, girl's basketball, baseball, softball, distance running,..  And activities that require just raw athleticism are probably a struggle.  Football, track, boys basketball.  I'm no follower of Barbers Hill or anything...but I'd be willing to bet no school in the district wants to have a Test Score contest.  But none would have a problem with a footrace.

What's the right type of student athlete?