Andre Boutte elected to Texas HS Basketball Hall of Fame

That's the thing you guys are missing Bouttee molded those guys into the players they became, but here's my point. It has been only 5 players(I believe could be a few more) from Texas to go to the NBA out of high school Bouttee has coached two of them....enough said!

Imagine how good Kevin Garnett and Moses Malone's HS coaches must have been.  And Kobe's?  Has to be the GOAT coach!

Jackson's path to the NBA was far more winding than Perkins. Jackson had to play stints in other Countries, endure training camp cuts & injuries. So to say he went straight to the NBA is a bit of a stretch, although I understand exactly what you're saying. Didn't know only a few from Tx went straight from HS to the NBA, thought it was a few more. Good stuff Finest

That's the thing you guys are missing Bouttee molded those guys into the players they became, but here's my point. It has been only 5 players(I believe could be a few more) from Texas to go to the NBA out of high school Bouttee has coached two of them....enough said!

OF does raise a good point. No matter how you twist, turn, cut, delete , cut or copy, the guy had two NBA stars. 

This is where my opinion takes criticism.  Don't get me wrong...great honor. And he definitely worked his way into a position to be a very successful coach.  With a resume that no doubt deserves a Hall of Fame induction.  And wins is what gets you there.

But keep this in mind.. Phil Jackson didn't win any championships without MJ or Kobe. None.

So you guys saying that he is the greatest Texas high school coach that's ever lived...I think that the greatest coaches alive today are probably people you've never heard of.  A good coach in my opinion is someone who has his/her team competing every single game especially with lesser talent.  Because the only thing that changes from year to year is the talent you have. Coaches become better coaches with more exposure to experience.  So if a coach wins a championship one year because he is a "better coach" then why doesn't that coach continue to win championships every year?  Because they have different players.

Anyways.. Congrats.  Truly a great honor.

There is just as much coaching skill involved in coaching a lot of talent as there is in coaching lesser talent.  

Phil Jackson (the example you used) was a master at managing egos and personalities and getting them to play for the greater good all the while allowing them to be themselves.  That is every bit as difficult as getting a group of lesser talented kids to play hard and out execute their opponents to a .500 record.

There is just as much coaching skill involved in coaching a lot of talent as there is in coaching lesser talent.  

Phil Jackson (the example you used) was a master at managing egos and personalities and getting them to play for the greater good all the while allowing them to be themselves.  That is every bit as difficult as getting a group of lesser talented kids to play hard and out execute their opponents to a .500 record.

I'm not saying he isn't good at what he does.  And he undoubtedly has forgotten more basketball than I'll ever know...but you can't tell me you don't see the significance.  All 11 championships he won he had 1 of the 2 arguably greatest scorers in the history of the game.  No Kobe...No MJ...no ring.  I find that to be a fact that can't be argued.

And yet he is said to be one of the greatest NBA coaches ever.

How can you justify the Miami Heat making multiple Finals appearances and championships to all of the sudden not even making the playoffs? Well...I think you know the answer to that question.  And it has zero to do with coaching.

Again.. Congrats Coach Boutte

Care to explain Calipari and Kentucky?  Memphis?  UMass?

Never won a title anywhere.

Yeah Spoelstra had no bearing on how that team won....no management of egos, managing role players, putting those guys in positions to be successful.  He just rolled the ball out straight to the finals four years in a row.

Care to explain Calipari and Kentucky?  Memphis?  UMass?

Never won a title anywhere.

Yeah Spoelstra had no bearing on how that team won....no management of egos, managing role players, putting those guys in positions to be successful.  He just rolled the ball out straight to the finals four years in a row.

what about him? 

what about him? 

It seems as though there is a feeling that if you have the best players you win championships and coaching has zero to do with it.  I say great coaching is found in all types of teams...good, bad, and mediocre...just as bad coaching is found in all types of teams.  

So if Miami won championships simply because they had Lebron, DWade, and Bosh and Spoelstra had nothing to do with it why didn't Kentucky win it all this year?  Why not Memphis in 2008?  Why not UMass in 1996?  He had the best talent (maybe not in 1996).  Talent wise Wisconsin and Duke shouldn't have even been in the same gym as Kentucky this year. 

It seems as though there is a feeling that if you have the best players you win championships and coaching has zero to do with it.  I say great coaching is found in all types of teams...good, bad, and mediocre...just as bad coaching is found in all types of teams.  

So if Miami won championships simply because they had Lebron, DWade, and Bosh and Spoelstra had nothing to do with it why didn't Kentucky win it all this year?  Why not Memphis in 2008?  Why not UMass in 1996?  He had the best talent (maybe not in 1996).  Talent wise Wisconsin and Duke shouldn't have even been in the same gym as Kentucky this year. 

certain situations talent trumps coaching, its a rarity but it has happened. Never seen it in college or HS but it recently happened in the NBA. 

KU was a better overall team by the time they played Memphis in 08 imo, Memphis couldnt hit a FT if life depended on it. Umass in 96 they beat UK first game of the yr then came tourney time ran into arguably the best UK team ever, that Umass team would have been in the final four regardless of Cal being there. I give you this past season, without Cal they lose at least 5 other games. 

I onced asked Coach Bouttee how he felt about people saying he only won cause he had talent and his response to me was from what he said was a John Wooden quote "No coach can win without talent but not every coach can't win with talent"

Also keep in mind that he only coached for 21 years most of the coaches you guys named coach 35+ years IMAGINE how many wins he'd have if he was still coaching till this day. He's 1-1 vs Hughes Sr and 1-0 vs his son 1-1 vs Jackie Carr 9 state appearances 3 championships 

I onced asked Coach Bouttee how he felt about people saying he only won cause he had talent and his response to me was from what he said was a John Wooden quote "No coach can win without talent but not every coach can't win with talent"

Also keep in mind that he only coached for 21 years most of the coaches you guys named coach 35+ years IMAGINE how many wins he'd have if he was still coaching till this day. He's 1-1 vs Hughes Sr and 1-0 vs his son 1-1 vs Jackie Carr 9 state appearances 3 championships 

See OF, I was going along with your analogy until you put Carr in the equation :)

He is a great and beat a lot of hall of fame coaches...it's hard to find a championship team without a stud or two...

In coaching its more then X's and O's...you can draw up the best plays but if you don't have the players to execute it, it doesn't matter....

He's one of the best game managers Texas has ever seen....

Edited by show me love

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody remember how he did when he was at Kountze?

Won the district title both years losing in the Regional Quarter finals to Diboll in 1988, and then losing in the same round in 1989 to a VERY good Cleveland team in OT. Would have been BETTER in year three, with EVERY PLAYER returning, but he was offfered the Lincoln job in the spring of 1989. 

Anybody know what Coach Boutte's plans are now that PAISD has eliminated the AD position? It's not a great time of year for someone in coaching/Athletics Administration to be looking.  But then again, someone with his resume should have no trouble finding a good job when they start to open up.

Anybody know what Coach Boutte's plans are now that PAISD has eliminated the AD position? It's not a great time of year for someone in coaching/Athletics Administration to be looking.  But then again, someone with his resume should have no trouble finding a good job when they start to open up.

That change doesn't take effect till next school year. He will finish this school year as associate AD unless he decides to leave the school on his own before year is out. There is talk that PAISD is looking into keeping Boutte in some capacity.

Was very weird timing though. I wonder what the situation would have been had they made this announcement before they hired the new basketball coach.