Race Relations

@CBSNews: It starts out like any dinner party. But then a difficult conversation begins.

This is the hidden content, please
This is the hidden content, please

Saw it on CBS news.  Good stuff.  I've done it, but you have to be careful who you talk with.  Many folks out there who are so hardheaded, or opinionated you can't discuss anything with them.  That problem runs across the whole spectrum.  Good people are good and color doesn't matter. 

Saw it on CBS news.  Good stuff.  I've done it, but you have to be careful who you talk with.  Many folks out there who are so hardheaded, or opinionated you can't discuss anything with them.  That problem runs across the whole spectrum.  Good people are good and color doesn't matter. 

​good points reb! 

I'd like to know why when an incident like the Lafayette shooting, Aurora shooting, Sandy Hook, Charleston church shooting or your every weekend shootings in Chicago happen if the culprit is hispanic or black or arabian descent they are automatically labeled "thug" or "terrorist" versus if they were caucasian being automatically labeled as having "mental issues/illness" or "comes from a broken home" or "a loner"….… 

I can weigh in in this topic from both sides....  

Believe it or not, the stereotype for our black people is the be 'hard' or 'thuggish' as seen by the music scene, sports, ect.  And we (black people) are viewed by white people as such.  Sad, but true.  Our people wear pants hanging down to their behind ect.  Not all embrace this but most do.

Black people view most white people as racists based on past actions or American history.  It's not as abundant....  Or should I say it's not as transparent, but it still exists....  There were studies ran on this...  A lost white person on a heavily populated interception was assisted by many people, while the lost black man received minimum help and was ignored or blatantly disrespected.  

At the end of day, I don't think race relations have gotten better or worse.  The only difference is that now, during the social media era, most of it is done behind a screen name.  Look on the local media links, you'll see it.  Look in the inboxes....  You'll see it...actually I have proof as I have many hate messages from a few Caucasian people because I didn't agree with them in certain issues.  

Hopefully, I'm alive to see the ignorance on both sides hash out the differences.   

Ps.  We could get deeper if I bring up the Mexican people or any one else of the Hispanic heritage. 

I'd like to know why when an incident like the Lafayette shooting, Aurora shooting, Sandy Hook, Charleston church shooting or your every weekend shootings in Chicago happen if the culprit is hispanic or black or arabian descent they are automatically labeled "thug" or "terrorist" versus if they were caucasian being automatically labeled as having "mental issues/illness" or "comes from a broken home" or "a loner"….… 

Your first four were committed by whites with mental issues. No secret there. White people are usually your mass murderers.  The Muslim guy who killed the recruiters was an exception to that statement, but terrorists are usually Muslim and Isis even claimed responsibility. He was said to have mental/drug issues. The shootings in Chicago are committed by gangsters against each other. Thugs are what they are. Every now and then they kill 7 year old kids. 

Do you think that saying the whites have mental issues somehow excuses them from being termed a thug? Not sure where you are going with this but that's how I see it.

Your first four were committed by whites with mental issues. No secret there. White people are usually your mass murderers.  The Muslim guy who killed the recruiters was an exception to that statement, but terrorists are usually Muslim and Isis even claimed responsibility. He was said to have mental/drug issues. The shootings in Chicago are committed by gangsters against each other. Thugs are what they are. Every now and then they kill 7 year old kids. 

Do you think that saying the whites have mental issues somehow excuses them from being termed a thug? Not sure where you are going with this but that's how I see it.

​i never see them being deemed that. Just find it very strange. 

I can weigh in in this topic from both sides....  

Believe it or not, the stereotype for our black people is the be 'hard' or 'thuggish' as seen by the music scene, sports, ect.  And we (black people) are viewed by white people as such.  Sad, but true.  Our people wear pants hanging down to their behind ect.  Not all embrace this but most do.

Black people view most white people as racists based on past actions or American history.  It's not as abundant....  Or should I say it's not as transparent, but it still exists....  There were studies ran on this...  A lost white person on a heavily populated interception was assisted by many people, while the lost black man received minimum help and was ignored or blatantly disrespected.  

At the end of day, I don't think race relations have gotten better or worse.  The only difference is that now, during the social media era, most of it is done behind a screen name.  Look on the local media links, you'll see it.  Look in the inboxes....  You'll see it...actually I have proof as I have many hate messages from a few Caucasian people because I didn't agree with them in certain issues.  

Hopefully, I'm alive to see the ignorance on both sides hash out the differences.   

Ps.  We could get deeper if I bring up the Mexican people or any one else of the Hispanic heritage. 

​good points. 

Must be the media because they portray things to influence your thought processes. Very powerful indeed. I have never made that distinction. To me, color has no bearing on being a thug.

​exactly!  Same with the mental illness/issue item as well wouldn't you say? 

Took my comment down I see must have hurt someones feelings. I will change it a bit . He is a thug, punk, coward, lilly livered pole cat And I dont mean thug as the new meaning of thug per Cal. There is that better?  I felt the same about the Colo. killer and the SC killer if it were up to me they would have been hung in public the day following their capture. But thats just me.

Took my comment down I see must have hurt someones feelings. I will change it a bit . He is a thug, punk, coward, lilly livered pole cat And I dont mean thug as the new meaning of thug per Cal. There is that better?  I felt the same about the Colo. killer and the SC killer if it were up to me they would have been hung in public the day following their capture. But thats just me.

​it violated a forum rule, btw I took it down. 

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I feel like "thug" is the new "n" word.  To me race relations aren't any better because it is only discussed during times of tension, after some crazy event.

I disagree with what you say about the word thug.  A thug is a thug no matter skin color.  I think it is seen that way because somehow race has to get involved. To many thin skinned ppl in the world.

​The white thug in the SC church murders was labeled just as he is, a racist, evil, a hater, etc.

Thug means thug and nothing more but I'm sure a lot of people use the word as a replacement for the n word the media do it all the time all one has to do is read. Immature troubled youth depressed mental illnesses big mistake. THUG I'm just calling like I see it from the sc shooter both movie shootings sandy hook biker gang majority of media refuse to use thug.  Big Ben was accused of doing the same thing jameis winston did only one was called thug. I can go all day with this.

Must be the media because they portray things to influence your thought processes. Very powerful indeed. I have never made that distinction. To me, color has no bearing on being a thug.

​Good perspective.  For the same reason, everyone knows who Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and Freddie Gray and few have ever heard of Kate Steinle.

​Good perspective.  For the same reason, everyone knows who Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and Freddie Gray and few have ever heard of Kate Steinle.

​Sry that young lady died, but IN BOLD what were they each portrayed as Nash? Its only one word, this should be easy for you.