Larry Haynes Out at Lumberton

So let me get this straight you go 1-29 fire your only coach in history to make the playoffs. Then you bring in a guy with over 150 wins after going 1-29 and you don't even let him have two full calender years on campus to turn around the worst program in setx unless you include Beaumont Legacy. Wow that makes no sense. The superintendent must be a coward to let his school board do something that irrational. You can't give the guy two full years on campus to turn around 1-29.

Maybe he wanted to go AD only and not be head football coach. Hasn't he already retired once? Sounds like a pretty sweet gig to me.

Football parents happy. Players happy. Kids getting bigger, stronger, faster. Offensive numbers good. Defense a work in progress. Young team mostly sophs and Jrs this year. Returning a lot. Does this sound like a football decision? In mid March? When you run a football program and an athletic department your way, sometimes people get upset. Keep in mind lumberton is known for what? Girls soccer, girls basketball, and band. Why is that?

Been in Lumberton 40 plus years, not sure if any group of coaches will ever get full buy in and enough time to change the mindset here. Frustrating for sure. As far as athletes and talent, Lumberton has both but many leave for other schools with more stable and successful programs. Hard to blame the parents, you only have four years in high school and every parent wants to provide the best opportunities possible for thier children to reach potential . My hindsight, I should have moved my kids but I didn't. Lessons learned.

Football parents happy. Players happy. Kids getting bigger, stronger, faster. Offensive numbers good. Defense a work in progress. Young team mostly sophs and Jrs this year. Returning a lot. Does this sound like a football decision? In mid March? When you run a football program and an athletic department your way, sometimes people get upset. Keep in mind lumberton is known for what? Girls soccer, girls basketball, and band. Why is that?

Yeah not sure how good the band will be after this school year

I am a sucessful smaller school coach. I am looking for a fresh new start at a bit larger school. BOOM! Lumberton Raiders job opens up. Two other similiar jobs open up. I jump on the internet and start studying the mighty RedRaiders and looking deeply into their program. As I research them and the other two school i find out that the other two schools coaches were there long term. I see the Raiders school board does not like keeping coaches very long. I see that a very sucessful coach held the job before me but was cut in the midst of a rebuild were he had the school on the upward path. I now assume unless I take Lumberton and win next season I will be terminated within a year at the most two seasons. I also see Lumberton plays in a competitive district and it will be no cake walk to get back to were I need to be. Sorry Raiders fans but your school board just sent me a very good up and coming coach in the other direction. This is how I see a coach would feel about coming to Lumberton.

I am a sucessful smaller school coach. I am looking for a fresh new start at a bit larger school. BOOM! Lumberton Raiders job opens up. Two other similiar jobs open up. I jump on the internet and start studying the mighty RedRaiders and looking deeply into their program. As I research them and the other two school i find out that the other two schools coaches were there long term. I see the Raiders school board does not like keeping coaches very long. I see that a very sucessful coach held the job before me but was cut in the midst of a rebuild were he had the school on the upward path. I now assume unless I take Lumberton and win next season I will be terminated within a year at the most two seasons. I also see Lumberton plays in a competitive district and it will be no cake walk to get back to were I need to be. Sorry Raiders fans but your school board just sent me a very good up and coming coach in the other direction. This is how I see a coach would feel about coming to Lumberton.

Unless of course you have ties to the district and you think it might be different with you! Which in turn it will take you doing what others want versus what you feel should be done.

Sometimes it just doesn't work. A coach has a philosophy and tries to implement it when he comes in and it just doesn't work. Whether it is the players, community or just the coaching itself.
I just went back and read the article when Haynes was hired, he had only had one losing season in his 21 years as a HC. He had previously went 19-11 in his first go around in Lumberton. He has now been at Lumberton for two seasons and has only won what 4 games? So that tells me something is not working this go around.
As far as not keeping coaches around very long, Alvin Crauder was the previous HC there and was there for what 8 or more years. So it's not like they are firing coaches every two years, just this one.
The school board vote 7-0 not to extend his contract, one of those school board members happens to be the starting QB's dad, so that tells me a lot about what the players and the players parents think about the job he is doing as a Head Coach.
This is High School football too, there is no such thing as rebuilding as everybody says. You can't go and recruit players like they do in college or draft players like the NFL, you have to take the players and athletes you have that are enrolled in that High School and you have to implement a system that best fits what student body you have at the school. As the Athletic Director you also have to get kids tI buy into other sports as well. While the girls program over the last few years has been successful, the boys program has been a disaster all the way around.
One other problem I have observed in Lumberton is that the youth sports has been pretty successful in the area, but when those same kids get to High School they are no longer successful. So parents have really high expectations when little Johnny doesn't lose a game in Peewee football and then that same group gets to middle school and High School and they can't win a game the parents get upset and place the blame on the coaching because that is the only thing that has changed.

Sometimes it just doesn't work. A coach has a philosophy and tries to implement it when he comes in and it just doesn't work. Whether it is the players, community or just the coaching itself.
I just went back and read the article when Haynes was hired, he had only had one losing season in his 21 years as a HC. He had previously went 19-11 in his first go around in Lumberton. He has now been at Lumberton for two seasons and has only won what 4 games? So that tells me something is not working this go around.
As far as not keeping coaches around very long, Alvin Crauder was the previous HC there and was there for what 8 or more years. So it's not like they are firing coaches every two years, just this one.
The school board vote 7-0 not to extend his contract, one of those school board members happens to be the starting QB's dad, so that tells me a lot about what the players and the players parents think about the job he is doing as a Head Coach.
This is High School football too, there is no such thing as rebuilding as everybody says. You can't go and recruit players like they do in college or draft players like the NFL, you have to take the players and athletes you have that are enrolled in that High School and you have to implement a system that best fits what student body you have at the school. As the Athletic Director you also have to get kids tI buy into other sports as well. While the girls program over the last few years has been successful, the boys program has been a disaster all the way around.
One other problem I have observed in Lumberton is that the youth sports has been pretty successful in the area, but when those same kids get to High School they are no longer successful. So parents have really high expectations when little Johnny doesn't lose a game in Peewee football and then that same group gets to middle school and High School and they can't win a game the parents get upset and place the blame on the coaching because that is the only thing that has changed.

I disagree 100% on that high school coaches don't "rebuild" programs. You do not rebuild from outside involvement (recruit). You rebuild from the inside.

You have to get kids excited about playing football. That is the hardest part with a school that wins 2-3 games a year. It's tough to get kids motivated to give up their blood, sweat, and tears if they feel like they will lose. No one wants to be labeled a "loser" by their peers. Trust me, the hardest part about being on a campus with a losing team is having to hear the things their classmates say to them. Those kids that do NOTHING for their school are quick to run them down and criticize their efforts.

If a coach can come in and get kids to "buy in" to his program and "rebuild" the program mentally. That is 2/3 of the battle. The other 1/3 is coaching.

As far as Lumberton and Coach Haynes. His teams always played hard against GCM. It was simply a numbers game. It's tough to have kids, especially linemen, play both ways at the 5A level. I think he is a good coach and will be coaching somewhere else soon.

One chance you couldn't be further from the truth. The football team was vastly improved last year and has several returning starters at key positions. The rest of your guestimates are just as far fetched too btw. The kids are literally praying the board promotes coach Payne to preserve some consistency plus they love him. In my opinion, if you bring in Babin or anyone with a non-pro style offense, you will do a disservice to some of the key skill position players....possibly lose a few of them.

I can agree that sometimes parents live in fantasy land...but Coaching is vital...I have seen teams that were 1/2 as athletic as another and the the team that was well coached and was wired tight beat a more athletic team.  My dad coached for 23 years in the high school ranks mostly 5A in the Dallas area...his rule of thumb was that your game plan had to change with your personel and their skill set. So many coaches today say here is my offense or my defense...now run it...seen first hand the result of that approach. As far as kids buying into the program...HEAD COACH 100%...as pops said, " poopoo effort in than poopoo is the result". But at the same time parents can be a cancer at home, destroying a team unity and a coach has to weed those guys out and understand the fact that you are not taking anything out on the kid and that its the parents doing. A coach has a responsibility to all of his players and a fairness to all of them as well and to allow one or a few to tear things apart is insane. "the needs of the many out way the needs of the few" when it comes to a team sport. You Know what's funny is when a bunch kids become a team under the aforementioned quote...the needs of my brother becomes priority. When you get that special chemistry in an athletic program...You will win!  

One chance you couldn't be further from the truth. The football team was vastly improved last year and has several returning starters at key positions. The rest of your guestimates are just as far fetched too btw. The kids are literally praying the board promotes coach Payne to preserve some consistency plus they love him. In my opinion, if you bring in Babin or anyone with a non-pro style offense, you will do a disservice to some of the key skill position players....possibly lose a few of them.

I agree with this! The offseason was going well. Nate is doing a great job with them. It is about consistency. There was a fire back in the boys and it showed in the weight room. Starting to see improvement and now this. Haven't seen that in a while. The boys do love this coaching staff and Paine. Now its a wait and see process. I know my son is disappointed! The look on his face when he came home and told us what Haynes told them Wednesday.