N.E. Texas vs S.E. Texas

longball24

Being employed as a setx.sr branch mgr for a oil tool co for 15 yrs oil/gas on Gulf Coast(territory incl.Victoria Tx to Laff La.north to Giddings to Madisonville Tx & all points in between) brings jobs.When I lived in Alvarado Tx 1990-1993(1st time to see Jerry Stewart,Joel Hancock,Butch Lawney coach @nearbyCleburne Yellowjackets now @ Dayton since 1996) and worked at Alcon/Texas Inst as elect.supervisor for General Elect. in Ft Worth/Dallas area I saw w/eyes that even in a depressed oil/gas industry=high tech jobs were stimulating that economy=everywhere signs posted=now hiring.Mansfield Tx(1 high school) was as small spread out rural town bordering Arlington(population 96,000 50 yrs ago).On another note=commuting from home to work/shopping the major connecting highway planning put in place many yrs ago is/was light yrs ahead of our area 20 yrs ago.Saying our area is behind as far as planning=welp take a short drive across the sabine river to towns/cities in Louisiana,see their schools/facilities/industries/highwayplanning=you'll say Wow,I can't believe people want to move/live there,now that's how the Metroplex see's us.Household median income is far superior to all of our area -Austin area is catching up at a fast pace even w/poor transit routes in comparison

I under stand that, but we in SeTX have good paying jobs with all the refineries and chemical plants, Jobs paying 30-40 an hour (or maybe more). So why is it NETX schools can afford paying a coach a 6 figure salary and SETX can't?  Also I don't know population numbers, but it would seem that SETX has a larger population than NETX which would mean more school taxes. This topic has tweaked my curiosity.

Refineries and chemical plants are good paying jobs, but also very hard to get into now.  ( speaking from experience).  There may be 300-400 people sitting for a test to get maybe 15 operator jobs available. Almost all of them now require a degree in process operation you can't just walk into a refinery and get an operator job like our fathers and grandfathers did.  Contractors that work in the refineries also are payed well, but that may be a short to mid-term job and you have to keep your nose clean because they can axe you at a moments notice.  But if you look at stats for some of the towns in this area the school districts are the biggest employers ( they don't pay as well).  Also the refineries get tax breaks to continue business in the area.

I watched SEC Storied "The Believer" recently.  It's about Steve Spurrier taking the head job at South Carolina.  There's one part in the film when Coach Spurrier is talking about athletic boosters.  The stadium at South Carolina is named after a lady that donated 1 million dollars to the athletic program. She was the only one.  He then went on to say that several other schools in the SEC (Florida, Georgia, Alabama) had 40 or 50 individual million dollar donations. The next part is most important..

Steve Spurrier said "IF WE WANT TO COMPETE WITH OTHER SEC SCHOOLS, WE HAVE TO HAVE THE FACILITIES OF OTHER SEC SCHOOLS"

Biggest difference in northeast Texas and southeast Texas....Money.  Maybe not money in the community...but money pumped into the schools. I've been saying this since I've been a member. And of course labeled as a hater. But truth is truth.

I watched SEC Storied "The Believer" recently.  It's about Steve Spurrier taking the head job at South Carolina.  There's one part in the film when Coach Spurrier is talking about athletic boosters.  The stadium at South Carolina is named after a lady that donated 1 million dollars to the athletic program. She was the only one.  He then went on to say that several other schools in the SEC (Florida, Georgia, Alabama) had 40 or 50 individual million dollar donations. The next part is most important..

Steve Spurrier said "IF WE WANT TO COMPETE WITH OTHER SEC SCHOOLS, WE HAVE TO HAVE THE FACILITIES OF OTHER SEC SCHOOLS"

Biggest difference in northeast Texas and southeast Texas....Money.  Maybe not money in the community...but money pumped into the schools. I've been saying this since I've been a member. And of course labeled as a hater. But truth is truth.

Ok, as an example,  Nederland is getting turf on their field next year.  Just on the sidelines, to fix issues with the muddy holes but someone or a group of people donated $15K to get it done.  Same way with PNG getting the sideline fans a few years ago.  This area probably can't rely on bond issues to build new facilities due to older folks being against it and people having different priorities for bond money.  (New schools).  If the area starts getting younger as these people retire and move elsewhere maybe some more bonds will be passed but I wouldn't hold my breath.

All of that being said, facilities don't win championships.  Look at WOS , LaMarque and even Katy.   It has more to do with available talent.  If you are in an area where more people are moving in and not out you will have a larger pool to pick from.   SE Texas has been losing population for the last 10 years or so and unless that changes the pool will continue to shrink.  We will still have teams go on a run like this year with Newton and WOS but you won't see sustained success like Katy or the Dallas area schools.

Ok, as an example, Nederland is getting turf on their field next year. Just on the sidelines, to fix issues with the muddy holes but someone or a group of people donated $15K to get it done. Same way with PNG getting the sideline fans a few years ago. This area probably can't rely on bond issues to build new facilities due to older folks being against it and people having different priorities for bond money. (New schools). If the area starts getting younger as these people retire and move elsewhere maybe some more bonds will be passed but I wouldn't hold my breath.

All of that being said, facilities don't win championships. Look at WOS , LaMarque and even Katy. It has more to do with available talent. If you are in an area where more people are moving in and not out you will have a larger pool to pick from. SE Texas has been losing population for the last 10 years or so and unless that changes the pool will continue to shrink. We will still have teams go on a run like this year with Newton and WOS but you won't see sustained success like Katy or the Dallas area schools.

Hardin is growing quickly. Old money dying = land going up for sale = new business and some things financially are going toward improvements/facility upgrades. Not expecting wins immediately but are going to build this thing from a solid foundation. New elementary will be completed in early/mid 2016. Twice the size of our old Elementary. Liberty/HD/WH have lost #'s or at best held steady for quite some time. Growth is exponential going up 59 from Humble - Cleveland ( largest/fastest) growing area in greater Houston aside from Katy /west Houston & the Hill.

• 2 weeks later...

The economy is crazy good right now in Texas, especially in the greater Houston area. Which means you have families moving where the jobs are. I know I would be searching for the school district & community that has the most to offer. Does the NE have more to offer than the SE? Good question.

The Woodlands Area will have great athletes coming in. Due to Exxon.

There is a work ethic issue along with taking ownership for your actions in SETX.  Not saying there is no work ethic in SETX.

too many parents coaching from the sideline and undermining coaches as well as placing blame on coaches/teachers instead of holding child responsible for his/her failures.

There is a work ethic issue along with taking ownership for your actions in SETX.  Not saying there is no work ethic in SETX.

too many parents coaching from the sideline and undermining coaches as well as placing blame on coaches/teachers instead of holding child responsible for his/her failures.

I agree with this 100%.  But I have seen to many times the coaching does not recognize the talent they have or they are so used to having a .500 coaching record that the let great athletes just waste away. They are so concerned about discipline that they forget to let the kids have fun. At a Texas A&m camp my boys attended the coaches made a statement that every school they visit has discipline, But kids they are looking for must have attitude.

I agree with this 100%. But I have seen to many times the coaching does not recognize the talent they have or they are so used to having a .500 coaching record that the let great athletes just waste away. They are so concerned about discipline that they forget to let the kids have fun. At a Texas A&m camp my boys attended the coaches made a statement that every school they visit has discipline, But kids they are looking for must have attitude.

You get what you pay for. You won't get a Cadillac coach for a Ford Focus salary. Want better coaches?.. They're not cheap.

Slightly off topic

We put so much value on athletes getting scholarships. Though its a great honor and accomplishment..... First and foremost I want a coach that is going to teach respect, discipline, responsibility, work ethic, drive, fortitude, and teamwork. 

Do we realize how many coaches there are that come in contact with our youth today. 

My children's abilities/athleticism may get misused by a coach and it may be a lil aggravating as a parent, but  if he's teaching what I mentioned above im a blessed parent. 

Do we really expect every coach to be the best when it comes to Xs and Os or player management.

THe more our children are around people who will teach the  aforementioned the better our future society is.

Since the Robin hood act took over, SeTX schools have lost money they would normally have to build or recruit with. Alot of your bigger and more state title schools have money come in from donors. I know PNG is building a indoor practice facility from donations and the Booster club. 

I know of people who will accept a transfer of job location to a more prominent school district area for sports for their kids. I feel alot of people who have very talented athletes hope they can get their kids into a school with a good history of state championships and a higher college recruiting number. Reason is college cost are so high now the only way some of these athletes can get a higher education is thru a college athletic scholarship. JMHO and some folks who I have spoken with. (1 was a friend who offered to transfer to Katy from here so his son could play football for Katy with the hope of a scholarship offer in the future).  His opinion was that players there all seem to get more looks from colleges than from here. My opinion is probably so, but because of their exposure around the country. 

Slightly off topic

We put so much value on athletes getting scholarships. Though its a great honor and accomplishment..... First and foremost I want a coach that is going to teach respect, discipline, responsibility, work ethic, drive, fortitude, and teamwork.

Do we realize how many coaches there are that come in contact with our youth today.
My children's abilities/athleticism may get misused by a coach and it may be a lil aggravating as a parent, but if he's teaching what I mentioned above im a blessed parent.

Do we really expect every coach to be the best when it comes to Xs and Os or player management.
THe more our children are around people who will teach the aforementioned the better our future society is.

I would take a role model Coach any day, I trained & Coached my kids anyways. All I need a Coach to do is enhance what I've already taught. I may not know the X's & O's as precise as the Coach, but he/she won't have a discipline problem, lack of motivation, no future goals, drive, etc. We must be realistic, we must give the Coach something to work with. My kid ain't riding the Bench(notice I said ride the bench, doesn't mean they must be a starter) because we Work too hard & have too much Pride in what we do. All I need for you to do is be FAIR Coach.
I'll leave it at that, some may feel I'm being too Harsh on the incompetent Slugs.
No need to Name them. Lol

I understand what you are saying BigCam....I teach my children the same thing.....but you have to remember Coaches/Teachers are with our youth more than we as parents are.  Also in today's time there is more 2 parents working/Day cares than there is mothers staying home with pre school children.  So who is really spending more time with our youth. 

Lets be realistic here.....How many Elementary s   are there in the states??  how many junior highs/m.s are there......how many high schools are there...

Do u really want me to believe every single coach on every level is going to know how to handle Xs and Os.

it Doesn't matter whose with our youth as long as they are building character rather than taking away.....because once sports end and it will there is still life within society.

You're missing my point, either be an X's & O's guy, or a Morals guy. I'd prefer both, but I'm a Dreamer. Too many guys in the area lacking in both departments on the HS level for sure.
I totally agree with all you said, but these qualities aren't being met. I realize Coaches are around my kids a lot, so I make it a point to evaluate All issues concerning my Children without taking their sides. Kids can & will Manipulate the situation to keep the Heat away from themselves. My Rules should extend from my Home to School & vice versa, but this doesn't happen. There is an obvious breakdown on either side or Both. All I can do is TRY to ensure my kid is treated Fairly. Sometimes Life isn't Fair, but that shouldn't be a reason to be Unfair to others.

Is it the system, facilities, or just the number of available athletes? Can a coach make that much of a deference ? If a SETX school were to bring in Rhoades (Cameron Yoe) or Traylor (Gilmer). How long till the state titles start piling up??

I'm not sure, but Winning is Contagious; just as Losing is. Cultures must change before Anything else around here. Acceptance shouldn't be Accepted; Follow Me??

Is it the system, facilities, or just the number of available athletes? Can a coach make that much of a deference ? If a SETX school were to bring in Rhoades (Cameron Yoe) or Traylor (Gilmer). How long till the state titles start piling up??

State of the art facilities, a large well paid coaching staff, and a staff with minimal classroom responsibilities. Do that...and wins will start happening.

• 2 weeks later...