Spread vs Slot-T

BunaBoy84

Alright, alot of teams outside SETX run the spread and seem to have success with it while a few SETX teams run the slot-t. The spread teams seem to have trouble with physical teams like SETX teams while slot-t teams seem to have trouble with speed like central and nothern teams have. Which offence would you rather run in order to make a deep run?

Spread at the 5A and 6A levels and Slot-T at the lower levels.

Slot-T wears you down. That's great when the team your playing has 16 kids total that can play at that level and have to go both ways a lot, but when you face a team with 22 starters many of whom are very good to elite athletes and good backups/rotation on the D Line, which is what you see at 5A and 6A in round 2 & beyond, it just doesn't work.

Agree you have to fit the talent you have. However, one dimentional teams usually don't fare well because once a good playoff team takes away their strength, they are toast. Lower classifications maybe, but not 5 and 6A. Even then you don't see teams that just do one, they may be heavy one or the other, but have the ability to do both when forced to. Most teams are spread in the formation sense only, but run the ball out of it to create open space for the RBs. Example: Brenham, spread formation, but have a 2000 yd RB s d 2000 yd QB passing. Spread formation, but balanced out of it, just try to create space for athletes.

Agree you have to fit the talent you have. However, one dimentional teams usually don't fare well because once a good playoff team takes away their strength, they are toast. Lower classifications maybe, but not 5 and 6A. Even then you don't see teams that just do one, they may be heavy one or the other, but have the ability to do both when forced to. Most teams are spread in the formation sense only, but run the ball out of it to create open space for the RBs. Example: Brenham, spread formation, but have a 2000 yd RB s d 2000 yd QB passing. Spread formation, but balanced out of it, just try to create space for athletes.

Well said

Got to do what fits your kids...

I was getting on here to say this. If you have a good quarterback and a good running back, and tall, athletic wide receivers, run the spread and mix in the run. but if you don't have the horses in the stable, but have enough big boys and a couple of fast kids to run the Slot T, then by all means, do what works best for you!

Spread team speed w/atheltes/kiddos that can play several positions & a real good kicker I'd take my chances with on a art turf field.On grass w/big O/L D/L and some quick backs that don't have many turnovers I like all the other offenses as long as you CAN pass when needed.In my opinion(just mine) when art turf become dominant @ most playoff venues=the spread offenses/tweeked have taken alot of advantages away from the mostly run oriented offenses that normally require more size/depth.If only the dist champ & runnerup made the playoffs what offense would you run that you think would have a higher probability of success=That's the question & decision the coaching staff will make.I do think having to prepare differant on defense week to week w/differant types of offenses & you're successful in your differant victories it makes your job as a coach much easier preparing vs teams outside your area you could match-up against at a later date.On a side note=more often nowadays it seems teams are content in getting in a shootout

5A Ennis made the semifinals last year and is currently 9-2 this year.  

I saw this post and was about to say Ennis, then I saw where you posted this.  It's the wing T, but same concept, misdirection and create mismatches with formations and motions.  I think the wingT or slot T would be just as successful at the bigger schools because it's just like the veer in the old days, it's something that you don't see all the time, and it forces you to play assignment football.

Back in the day WO-S ran the Houston Veer to prefection when they had the O line to do it with.They don't have the kids now that fit that offense so they had to find out what would work best.I remember when they first started using the spread it didn't go so well.There is a learning cruve.

Im trying to remember what we primarily ran in the late '90s. Very effective. We threw the ball a lot, especially to our TE and slot receivers. But also could ram it down your throat if needed.

I saw this post and was about to say Ennis, then I saw where you posted this. It's the wing T, but same concept, misdirection and create mismatches with formations and motions. I think the wingT or slot T would be just as successful at the bigger schools because it's just like the veer in the old days, it's something that you don't see all the time, and it forces you to play assignment football.

Wing-T and Slot-T are and can be successful, but you better be able to throw. You find yourself down by 21 pts and you can't throw, those offenses make it hard to come back because it eats up clock to score. PLC last year against Brenham was down 42-14 in 3rd but kept running the ball because they couldn't throw. They took 9 mins to score a TD in the 3rd qtr and all the fans were like OK. If you run those offenses you better have one helluva defense to either shut down the other team or create TOs. Most schools I've seen be successful runnning those offenses have a great D to go with them.

In a perfect world one would strive for a balance of the two, but I believe it all depends on the personnel you have at hand. If you have a large, athletic offensive line and a stable of speedy RB then go with the a Slot-T. If you have a corps of talented WR and an experienced QB that makes good decisions with the football then run the spread. I personally prefer the spread because you can score quicker than you can with the Slot-T, which is a distinct advantage if you get down early and have to come back. But, that being said, if you have a lead the Slot-T is perfectly suited for grinding out the clock and limiting possessions. Can't really go wrong with either, for there are pass plays from the Slot-T as well as running plays from the spread........

Wing-T and Slot-T are and can be successful, but you better be able to throw. You find yourself down by 21 pts and you can't throw, those offenses make it hard to come back because it eats up clock to score. PLC last year against Brenham was down 42-14 in 3rd but kept running the ball because they couldn't throw. They took 9 mins to score a TD in the 3rd qtr and all the fans were like OK. If you run those offenses you better have one helluva defense to either shut down the other team or create TOs. Most schools I've seen be successful runnning those offenses have a great D to go with them.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. If you develop a passing game in the Slot-T, it can be deadly. If you run it out of the slot, there's three or four different places the ball can be (depends on whether or not your QB can run it), so if you add the passing element, you have the original 4 running threats, plus another 3 who are running routes. It's a deadly combination if you can execute. But, for that to happen, you have to have a VERY good offensive line. With the threat of the pass, that opens up your running game and allows for more big plays and quick scoring. If it's run to perfection, I think it can be just as effective as the spread. However, if you have a lopsided attack, you better have a really good defense!