Spread vs Slot-T

BunaBoy84

The Slot-T is good. But -- you have to throw every now and then. One day teams like Vidor will learn this. On the opposite end, The Spread. Coaches that are married to it get stuck when they may not have a QB to run it. And they refuse to alter it. One day teams like PN-G will learn this.

Offense is not a problem at PNG. And if you check it out PNG runs tge ball well out of the spread. Three of the top six all time rushing leaders at PNG were in the spread.
Now I do believe it has created challenges for the PNG defenses because we score quicker and have them on the field more.

IMO the reason you see a resurgence these days of the run heavy teams having success is because most defenses these days are built to stop the spread. You don't see the really big boys up front on defenses anymore because the spread requires quicker, more agile defenders because they are spread out. Bring in an offense that piles it all in the middle of the field and it's hard for the smaller DLine to stop it consistently. Almost need to have a different set of personnel for either situation. Problem is most teams don't have that luxury.

When it's all said and done, look who are winning the rings, even in 4A(old 3A). Carthage, Navasota, Gilmer, Wimbereley... All spread teams. Although Carthage will run some sets out of the I... The last Wing T or Slot T team to win a state title was Liberty Hill several yrs ago.

Honestly, I don't like either one. I believe you have to run well to eventually win the championship. Harder to pass in bad weather your going to get in November and December. That is why all those spread teams want to play on turf. I am more "I" formation and play action passing. The Slot T is effective right now because you don't see it every day. The more and more teams that run it, the more teams will find it easier to defense. I just feel like it is the new flavor of the month.  I really don't like the spread so much because in my mind it makes it harder to run except for draw plays. I believe that run games build toughness and character. It takes pressure off of the QB. I do believe in multiple formations offensively though. No reason you can't run the spread at certain times. Just my opinion.

Back in the day WO-S ran the Houston Veer to prefection when they had the O line to do it with.They don't have the kids now that fit that offense so they had to find out what would work best.I remember when they first started using the spread it didn't go so well.There is a learning cruve.

The West Orange Chiefs used to run the veer quite effectively back in the early 70s. Still one of my favorite offenses.

At the 3A level, the teams that win championships have a base spread offense (usually). BUT believe me when I say they can and will line it up and shove it down your throat at multiple points in the game.

So many teams are running the spread it is hard to find a state champion who isn't.

I agree 100% John Curtis High School in Louisiana has won 26 state titles running the Veer, they have beat top teams all over the country running it. When you run it right it is set up to make 3 to 4 yards a play control the clock and keep the chains moving. Makes a long night for even the best defenses and is a very simple offense but very very hard to stop!!!