Sad

MoFo

While I am happy about the Hawks pulling off a win, I cannot help but to be saddened of the lack of support for the Houston athletes. I do not care if my son's team loses every game by 50 my butt will be in the stands to support him during the game and to help pick him up after.SHAME ON YOU HISD PARENTS AND (warm weather) FANS. I only hope that you support them in their academics better than you do in their athletics. Kudos to the Houston athletes you now have a fan in me for striving forward with zero support from behind you.

While I am happy about the Hawks pulling off a win, I cannot help but to be saddened of the lack of support for the Houston athletes. I do not care if my son's team loses every game by 50 my butt will be in the stands to support him during the game and to help pick him up after.SHAME ON YOU HISD PARENTS AND (warm weather) FANS. I only hope that you support them in their academics better than you do in their athletics. Kudos to the Houston athletes you now have a fan in me for striving forward with zero support from behind you.

thinking the same thing,between all 3 schools we played they maybe had 80 fans" between all 3" that is pitiful

Unfortunately this is a way of life for most inner-city schools.  I did not realize this completely until I started working at Alief Hastings.  Last year when we traveled to Aldine, we averaged about 10 fans and most of those were coaches' families.  This year we didn't have to travel as far, so we averaged about 20.  Some reasons behind this, (actual experience), : no vehicle - only travel by bus or cab; homeless; only parent working two jobs; no babysitter; living without a parent; parent just doesn't care (rather be doing other things).  The last one really bothers me but it is the smallest percentage of reasons (in my experience).  No matter what the reason, it is sad for the kids who bust their butt all year for the team. One game in Aldine last year, the coaches' families were the ONLY fans there.  They all sat through the rain and when the game was over, ALL of our players went to the stands and thanked them for supporting them.  Most of the wives and daughters either cried or tried really hard not to.

Unfortunately this is a way of life for most inner-city schools. I did not realize this completely until I started working at Alief Hastings. Last year when we traveled to Aldine, we averaged about 10 fans and most of those were coaches' families. This year we didn't have to travel as far, so we averaged about 20. Some reasons behind this, (actual experience), : no vehicle - only travel by bus or cab; homeless; only parent working two jobs; no babysitter; living without a parent; parent just doesn't care (rather be doing other things). The last one really bothers me but it is the smallest percentage of reasons (in my experience). No matter what the reason, it is sad for the kids who bust their butt all year for the team. One game in Aldine last year, the coaches' families were the ONLY fans there. They all sat through the rain and when the game was over, ALL of our players went to the stands and thanked them for supporting them. Most of the wives and daughters either cried or tried really hard not to.

Thanks for the inside look coach, it is no wonder why some of these kids fail, and I do not mean academically I mean in life in general. I personally truly know the helplessness that some of these kids feel and can promise you this an educator ( or family of an educator) can make a huge impact on these kid's lives. Proud of the coaches and their families.

Interesting thing is when one of these talented kids does make it and breaks the trend there will be hundreds that come out and say they were there thru thick and thin to support them. It is sad and for the young men that are trying to better themselves and become a contributing member of society I wish them all the best...

We were talking about that last night at the Crosby-Ozen game. If it were my kid, I would be there for every single event. No matter what. same can be said for the Ozen fan base. If it wasn't for other school fans sitting over on the Ozen side. There wouldn't have been but a handful of Ozen fans there. That was sad too. 

Unfortunately this is a way of life for most inner-city schools.  I did not realize this completely until I started working at Alief Hastings.  Last year when we traveled to Aldine, we averaged about 10 fans and most of those were coaches' families.  This year we didn't have to travel as far, so we averaged about 20.  Some reasons behind this, (actual experience), : no vehicle - only travel by bus or cab; homeless; only parent working two jobs; no babysitter; living without a parent; parent just doesn't care (rather be doing other things).  The last one really bothers me but it is the smallest percentage of reasons (in my experience).  No matter what the reason, it is sad for the kids who bust their butt all year for the team. One game in Aldine last year, the coaches' families were the ONLY fans there.  They all sat through the rain and when the game was over, ALL of our players went to the stands and thanked them for supporting them.  Most of the wives and daughters either cried or tried really hard not to.

I dont know if it's the same way, but I attended Elsik back in the day and it was a lottery.......you didnt choose what school you went to. You could have siblings going to two different High schools.....kind of hard of parents, especially single parents if both kids have a game that night. I also heard rumors the start of last season when Alief Taylor played Katy on ESPN that the game was MANDATORY for teachers and staff to fill the stands. Since you're in the know, is there any truth to that? And I agree....win or lose, support the kids.

I agree fan or not BE THERE if you as a parent did not get the family support and values as a child BREAK THE CYCLE.
Mrs. MoFo was not a big football fan when our boys started but she was in those stands cheering (sometimes at the wrong time) but she was there...
I have always said flute, football, or farming whatever my kids are doing I will be right there behind them.

2nd. This guy is right on point. I am very close to Aldine and the surrounding area. I can vouch for him. Thats why, when I get a chance, I go to SETX football games...when Friday means something!! Turkey leg and good football is the life!!

I can't imagine not being there for my kid. Winning, losing, or sitting on the bench I tell him before Every game. I'll be in the stands supporting you.

I'm right there with you.  I have always made it a point to go and watch a couple of my friends kids games or kids I have coached in the past. Some people may not think it counts but some kids love the fact knowing that some one is there to watch them whether it is a parent or friend.

two things...

1. im all about supporting the kids. Im also about supporting those coaches. A friend of mine that I coached with at one point is HFC at an HISD school. Ive been to a couple of his games. It makes his day and I always get an "thank you for coming" email the morning after.

2. We had to do away with our booster club 3 or 4 years ago because of a lack of parent involvement. Individual sports have a hard getting parents to do anything (concessions, tunnel set up, banquet, etc.). Those responsibilities then fall on the coach's shoulders. We want those kids to have a great HS experience so we do it without a 2nd thought. But, it is very frustrating to go above and beyond for a kid who isnt yours with ZERO support from parents.

I dont know if it's the same way, but I attended Elsik back in the day and it was a lottery.......you didnt choose what school you went to. You could have siblings going to two different High schools.....kind of hard of parents, especially single parents if both kids have a game that night. I also heard rumors the start of last season when Alief Taylor played Katy on ESPN that the game was MANDATORY for teachers and staff to fill the stands. Since you're in the know, is there any truth to that? And I agree....win or lose, support the kids

I graduated from Alief Elsik in 2001 and I can always remembering feeling a little embarrassed when we would get to the playoffs and play someone like Katy in the Astrodome and we might have 800-1000 people and Katy would have 15000 to 18000 I always wondered why poeple didnt show up and support the community schools.  Even when I was a freshman and our basketball team had Rashard Lewis (Gatorade player of the year) and Elsik would play a playoff game or a road game and there would only be 150-200 Elsik fans and the other school would have 500 I never could understand why this was until I went back to work in Alief.  Like Coach Huddleston stated he works at Hastings now he sees the inner city first hand, I can remember having to take 6-7 kids home from baseball practice because they did not have a ride and the only way the kids could get up to practice or game on saturday was by the Metro.  It sucks for the kids and I couldnt stand why people would not show up to the games but when they dont have a ride, the kid doesnt have a real home, mom or dad is in jail (or both), grandma is raising them and she just got off the night shift and has 30 minutes to change and get to her next job, it is unreal until you see an experience it.  I have met many fine men that are teachers and coaches at these schools and many of them know you probably wont or ever get the chance to play for a state championship, but they know they are the only male figure in these kids life and they wouldnt trade it for anything.  I have all the respect in the world for Coaches like Coach Huddelston and Martel at Hastings and Coach Barron at Elsik, they would, will and have bent over backwards for these kids in these inner city schools 

I graduated from Alief Elsik in 2001 and I can always remembering feeling a little embarrassed when we would get to the playoffs and play someone like Katy in the Astrodome and we might have 800-1000 people and Katy would have 15000 to 18000 I always wondered why poeple didnt show up and support the community schools.  Even when I was a freshman and our basketball team had Rashard Lewis (Gatorade player of the year) and Elsik would play a playoff game or a road game and there would only be 150-200 Elsik fans and the other school would have 500 I never could understand why this was until I went back to work in Alief.  Like Coach Huddleston stated he works at Hastings now he sees the inner city first hand, I can remember having to take 6-7 kids home from baseball practice because they did not have a ride and the only way the kids could get up to practice or game on saturday was by the Metro.  It sucks for the kids and I couldnt stand why people would not show up to the games but when they dont have a ride, the kid doesnt have a real home, mom or dad is in jail (or both), grandma is raising them and she just got off the night shift and has 30 minutes to change and get to her next job, it is unreal until you see an experience it.  I have met many fine men that are teachers and coaches at these schools and many of them know you probably wont or ever get the chance to play for a state championship, but they know they are the only male figure in these kids life and they wouldnt trade it for anything.  I have all the respect in the world for Coaches like Coach Huddelston and Martel at Hastings and Coach Barron at Elsik, they would, will and have bent over backwards for these kids in these inner city schools 

great post

Being a Navy retiree I was unable to make a ton of my kid's events during the years especially when I was on sea duty. It would be difficult for me to say shame on you parents for not supporting your kids. I am blessed that I can afford to fill up my car and go watch my son play hours away. Some people aren't as fortunate. I don't walk in their shoes so I can't be throwing stones.

Being a Navy retiree I was unable to make a ton of my kid's events during the years especially when I was on sea duty. It would be difficult for me to say shame on you parents for not supporting your kids. I am blessed that I can afford to fill up my car and go watch my son play hours away. Some people aren't as fortunate. I don't walk in their shoes so I can't be throwing stones.

There is a difference in not being able to go. And just flat out not going just because. Thank you for your service. ;)