The Ridiculousness of Houston Scarborough making the Playoffs

Goblin

Some interesting reading:

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/financial/financial-report-11-12.pdf

$5.6M in revenues from "entry fees, gate receipts, program sales" in 2012.

Program sales??? Is that just for the SC games in Arlington? Surely they dont get any proceeds from the ones our teams put out every game. What is the difference between "entry fees" and "gate receipts"? Does entry fees mean they charge teams??

I wouldn't exactly call it watering down the playoffs. Example, D12 4A division 1 with Navasota, Sealy, and the Houston Schools will go up against D13 in the first round. Some could argue that Navasota would be the only team from D12 to make the playoffs if they were all grouped with D13. Would it be better if you had a district like the one in Region 1 with Stephenville, Abilene Wylie, Big Spring, and Brownwood? What if we took a team like Navasota and put them in a more competitive district. Just for discussion purposes, lets stick Navasota in the district with Stephenville and the rest. The top 4 teams make the playoffs. Navasota, Stephenville, Wylie, Big Spring, and Brownwood. Someone is going to be left out. Some may argue that you could put any one of those schools in any other district in the state and they would win that district. Is it fair that one team will be left out? Maybe. In the end, the best teams will represent each district and eventually the state of Texas. Period!

If you ran a business, wouldn't you want to find ways to make money? I don't know about you, but I definitely would. Just look as the first round game as a warm up game. You know, getting you into the playoff spirit. Again, the best team will win. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 4th place team beats the 1st place team in some matchups. And some of you think that the 4th place team doesn't belong. Tell that to the Brownwood Lions.

Im guessing a few people complained to the UIL, the UIL then decided lets get more teams involved... Walla  more playoff teams... I had a mom tell me while I was coaching Little League that I should tell the kids after a loss... "we are all winners"... Thats not true, you win or you lose... And thats the bottom line... Adding more teams to the playoff was another idea that has changed football for the bad.. I agree 2 state champions in each classification is dumb.. But im sure it makes more $$$$....

You just hit the nail on the head...the onlything UIL cares about is the same as any governing body...$$$$$$$.

I wouldn't exactly call it watering down the playoffs. Example, D12 4A division 1 with Navasota, Sealy, and the Houston Schools will go up against D13 in the first round. Some could argue that Navasota would be the only team from D12 to make the playoffs if they were all grouped with D13. Would it be better if you had a district like the one in Region 1 with Stephenville, Abilene Wylie, Big Spring, and Brownwood? What if we took a team like Navasota and put them in a more competitive district. Just for discussion purposes, lets stick Navasota in the district with Stephenville and the rest. The top 4 teams make the playoffs. Navasota, Stephenville, Wylie, Big Spring, and Brownwood. Someone is going to be left out. Some may argue that you could put any one of those schools in any other district in the state and they would win that district. Is it fair that one team will be left out? Maybe. In the end, the best teams will represent each district and eventually the state of Texas. Period!

If you ran a business, wouldn't you want to find ways to make money? I don't know about you, but I definitely would. Just look as the first round game as a warm up game. You know, getting you into the playoff spirit. Again, the best team will win. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 4th place team beats the 1st place team in some matchups. And some of you think that the 4th place team doesn't belong. Tell that to the Brownwood Lions.

I see your perspective. It works with the way you put it. My only question is how many districts have 5 or 6 teams that are all that good?

If I'm Coach T I strongly consider not playing many key starters...maybe play Jack for a few series since he's a soph and could use reps but for the key cogs I don't risk a freak injury against a team they get no value competing against...scrimmaging against the WOS JV would give better reps for those guys

When you go into a game and play half @&$, that's when injuries happen. Have to play the same way as the others. Or like you said, go in knowing your starters will see limited playing time. anyone have any film or videos of Scarb.? Im curious to see if these guys are that bad.lol

I see your perspective. It works with the way you put it. My only question is how many districts have 5 or 6 teams that are all that good?

It happens. The Old district of Doom with Gilmer, Carthage, Henderson, Chapel Hill, Pittsburg, and Gladewaer. ( I may have gotten some of the team confused)

Believe me, I hate this weak district that Navasota is in. Every week we are playing these pathetic HISD schools. No fans, hardly any band members, no competition.

Although I don't think that the UIL has watered down the playoffs having 4 teams I do feel that it should just be 1 divison.. No division 1 and 2 needed.

I wouldn't exactly call it watering down the playoffs. Example, D12 4A division 1 with Navasota, Sealy, and the Houston Schools will go up against D13 in the first round. Some could argue that Navasota would be the only team from D12 to make the playoffs if they were all grouped with D13. Would it be better if you had a district like the one in Region 1 with Stephenville, Abilene Wylie, Big Spring, and Brownwood? What if we took a team like Navasota and put them in a more competitive district. Just for discussion purposes, lets stick Navasota in the district with Stephenville and the rest. The top 4 teams make the playoffs. Navasota, Stephenville, Wylie, Big Spring, and Brownwood. Someone is going to be left out. Some may argue that you could put any one of those schools in any other district in the state and they would win that district. Is it fair that one team will be left out? Maybe. In the end, the best teams will represent each district and eventually the state of Texas. Period!If you ran a business, wouldn't you want to find ways to make money? I don't know about you, but I definitely would. Just look as the first round game as a warm up game. You know, getting you into the playoff spirit. Again, the best team will win. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 4th place team beats the 1st place team in some matchups. And some of you think that the 4th place team doesn't belong. Tell that to the Brownwood Lions.

You hit it right with the business part. But as far as the number of good teams in a certain district that shouldn't matter in setting up the playoffs. If we were just worrying about that scenario why even play a district schedule. Why not play x amount of practice games and then start the playoffs with everyone in it. If you aren't good enough to come in first or second in your district you shouldn't make the playoffs. Sure there are those who have made it far in the playoffs from that position but it is the exception and they would have to worry about getting into the playoffs instead of only having to win one OT two district games like a lot of teams do.

The JV should be with them since T brings everyone in playoffs! I say let them play!!!

With the pearls?? You know he doesn't give out the Silver unless you have earned it. Lol. I wonder how many playoff opponents over the years have seen us and thought we were dirt poor. I can hear them "why can't they afford all the same color helmets?" Lol!

With the pearls?? You know he doesn't give out the Silver unless you have earned it. Lol. I wonder how many playoff opponents over the years have seen us and thought we were dirt poor. I can hear them "why can't they afford all the same color helmets?" Lol!

I'd be willing to bet. By now everyone knows why you guy's have the white helmets in the playoffs. As many times as y'all have been they must have figured it out. Or at least been told. Lol

I'd be willing to bet. By now everyone knows why you guy's have the white helmets in the playoffs. As many times as y'all have been they must have figured it out. Or at least been told. Lol

You know there has to have been a few. Lol. Especially teams that have never played us before.

A. It's all about money. More playoff games = more money.

B. As much as I hate to say it...if any 4th seed in the state wins a playoff game at all...then it's justified. You can't say "you only make the playoffs if you have a winning record"..

You either have good teams not get in, or bad teams get in.

Face it..some districts are just a lot better than others.

I may be wrong but it seems everybody got silver last year,or maybe it was just for the carthage game,can't remember