Aug 15th nederland will try and send a message

skipper

Anyone who was around from the mid 1980s-mid 1990s watched how WOS dominated EVERYONE in the area. They became the gold standard under Dan Hooks. Very much like Pa Lincoln in basketball. Many of you youngsters don't remember that WOS was a 5A school for much of that time, then dropped to 4A, then 3A (new 4A).
I remember one year that we (Nederland) ONLY lost 28-7 to WOS. I say ONLY bc WOS was beating everyone 40, 50-0.
It seems that ever since, WOS has been the measuring stick for everyone.

Anyone who was around from the mid 1980s-mid 1990s watched how WOS dominated EVERYONE in the area. They became the gold standard under Dan Hooks. Very much like Pa Lincoln in basketball. Many of you youngsters don't remember that WOS was a 5A school for much of that time, then dropped to 4A, then 3A (new 4A).
I remember one year that we (Nederland) ONLY lost 28-7 to WOS. I say ONLY bc WOS was beating everyone 40, 50-0.

exactly but only 1 but, Nederland is right there year in and year out also so..that is always a good measuring stick for us too both phenomenal programs

both teams  will be fine just need more work on both sides of the ball.tonight both coaches  moved alot of players around most of the night and  took a long look  at some key spots and come next week  at practice the coaches  will work with the kids  thats for sure. nederland has a outstanding  QB the kid  to me  is there spark plug that makes things happen as you saw tonight. he has good speed and good arm to go along with  that. he was haveing a problem finding a open man ,the mustangs have one hell of a good  DB with outstanding speed.and cover very good  going to be hard for a lot of teams to beat those kids.  now on the other side the mustangs  had problems with the yellow flags on key downs and thats got to stop in a hurry the coaches must work hard with there kids you just can let that happen in big games.. now for the mustangs speed that will never change,theQB  also has a good arm but to much gun behind it  he had kids kids wide open and had beat the dogs DBs and and the ball  was over there heads the mustangs gave a new look with the big back and the speed game we saw on the first drive .good luck to both teams

Man first scrimmage and second guessing how good or iff they are overrated, give me a break, its the first scrimmage. Everyone should be getting looks, it sounds to me both teams looked overrall ready. I personally don't think WOS is overrated and I know , NED is giing to improve weekend and week out. I haven't really seen enough to even come close to having a legit overall impression of where we will be. Only saw our starting qb on one drive. Waiting for Friday to get here already.

i remember they put a spanking on my bees 84-0 in 94(i had already graduated lol)...it was 50-0 at half time!! but however, it was sweeter when lincoln beat them and sent them home for the playoffs!!

Ned plays Thursday who do the Mustangs have up next

Man first scrimmage and second guessing how good or iff they are overrated, give me a break, its the first scrimmage. Everyone should be getting looks, it sounds to me both teams looked overrall ready. I personally don't think WOS is overrated and I know , NED is giing to improve weekend and week out. I haven't really seen enough to even come close to having a legit overall impression of where we will be. Only saw our starting qb on one drive. Waiting for Friday to get here already.

Ned plays Thursday who do the Mustangs have up next

Man first scrimmage and second guessing how good or iff they are overrated, give me a break, its the first scrimmage. Everyone should be getting looks, it sounds to me both teams looked overrall ready. I personally don't think WOS is overrated and I know , NED is giing to improve weekend and week out. I haven't really seen enough to even come close to having a legit overall impression of where we will be. Only saw our starting qb on one drive. Waiting for Friday to get hevidor

vidor  maybe lol

So many things can and will change by the time we play Crosby. The dogs looked good Friday night with such a young O line. As the line improves so will the QB.

i will haft to agree with you,most of the night the ol keep the mustangs off your QB and i feel sure the coaching staff is pleased with that

I thought both QB's looked good for the first scrimmage. Lots of holding by both O lines. WOS will need to hold on to the ball better. They can pound it or score in a hurry. For Nederland it was a good test early. Got beat deep a few times but overall defense played hard. Offense needs some work but also keep in mind we may not see a defense like that for a while. Always enjoy watching these two schools play some football.

NED secondary needs a lil work, the 2 sophmores did ok for first varisty game. Richardson still bite on those moves that hurt him last year. Young wideouts also needs to gain confidence and experience. I still think they are further alone then anyone of us would have thought with what we lost from last year team. WOS O line limit the penalties, the Qb at times just need to add a lil touch, but over throwing is always better than under throwing. Enjoyed scrimmage in all.

WOS has a nice squad. Three good RBs if they hold onto the ball. Very good WRs. I really like their QB. Ned looked good for a 1st scrimmage for a very young team with a bunch of question marks coming in. No injuries that I saw was the best news for both teams.nede4r

nederland kids did  a outstanding job on blocking on WOS  DEs good job young men. over the years that has been one of the mustangs strong points your QB did a good job on reading his blockers and he has a strong arm to go along with other skills he has  GOOD LUCK

Good progress for both teams in their first scrimmage.

Nederland's QB looks pretty good. He didn't have many good passing opportunities, but he showed poise and ran the ball well. They've gone back to their offense from past years...mixing the short passing game, spread formation, a little bit of misdirection rushing plays...not the power running game from the last 2-3 years. They don't look to be as good as the last two seasons, but also didn't show as much drop off as some people might expect. Their QB showed the kind of poise under pressure that will help them in close games.

WO-S has holes to fill in the front seven of their defense. Overall they looked good. The secondary is further ahead than the D-line and LBs, but as a whole it looks good at this early stage. The offense was encouraging in spite of the fact that they coughed up the football four times (to zero for Ned), and that contributed to a couple of Ned FGs. Also, the offense had one TD called back, three long passes that were dropped...all of which would have been TDs. One more was slightly overthrown that would have added another six points. These mistakes will be cleaned up over time. The passing game is in good shape. The top two tailbacks have speed and ran well. Mustang fans have plenty to be excited about for 2014.