Dad shoots daughter's boyfriend... Your thoughts?

bullets13

According to the article the daughter said she didn’t know who the guy was which may have appeared as rape. Even though he may have acted prematurely he may be within his rights.

Sounds like he was justified to me. He apparently didn't know who the kid was, according to the article. He thought the kid was reaching for something. Can't wait to be shot to shoot back. That hardly ever works out for you.
What was truly in the fathers mind, we will never know. Or we will know what he tells us, fact or fiction. Unless father or daughter comes forward with conflicting evidence, Case Closed.

I can see both sides of the coin on this one. If as a father there's a boy in your daughter's room, and she says she doesn't know him, then you're immediately going to think "rape". I don't know many fathers who would walk in a room where it looked like their daughter was being raped and not do the same thing. That being said, you also have to feel for the boy's family as he was invited into the house and wasn't armed. I snuck into a few bedrooms in my time, and I can't imagine being shot for it. I don't really think you can blame the boy or the father in this case, if everything is being portrayed properly in the media. The boy was doing what high school kids do, and the dad also was doing what you'd expect him to do. I'm not sure if the girl can be held legally accountable, but she's the one who's most responsible here. Not only did she let him into the house in the middle of the night, but then she lied about knowing him, which in the end was probably the deciding factor on whether or not the dad shot him.

According to the article the daughter said she didn’t know who the guy was which may have appeared as rape. Even though he may have acted prematurely he may be within his rights.

With "may" being a huge word. It "may" have been murder. 

Also, the law does not allow deadly force to retaliate for a crime. It allows deadly force if that is the only reasonable way to stop it. It the girl is talking to daddy about a guy under the bed, it kind of negates "stopping" a sexual assault. 

Therein lies the problem with speculating and not knowing or applying the correct law. One minor fact can change it from murder to a justified use of force or vice versa. 

I would like to bring up another point to ponder. This man shot an unarmed kid. To justify deadly force he either had to be stopping a crime in progress or be in "reasonable" fear of his life with a jury deciding if that fear was "reasonable". The law does not allow for retaliation of a crime that has already occurred. For example if a guy breaks into your home and you know that he is leaving, you can't shoot him just because you are mad and he has broken the magical threshold of your home. 

But in this case we know now for a fact that the dead teen was unarmed. 

Can you shoot an unarmed man legally by mistake? 

Hmmm........

I have seen times in this forum and on others where a police officer shoots the dreaded "unarmed man". and some people are up in arms and no matter what argument is given for justification, it always comes back to, "but he was unarmed". Even fairly recently in this area the captain from Orange PD shot an "unarmed man". Many local discussion took place including on here and some people would always justify a murder charge because no matter what else, the dead guy was unarmed. 

So do those feeling apply across the board? Does fear count only for people that are not police officers? 

Sometimes I think public feelings are based less on facts and the law and more on emotion or political stance. 

I would like to bring up another point to ponder. This man shot an unarmed kid. To justify deadly force he either had to be stopping a crime in progress or be in "reasonable" fear of his life with a jury deciding if that fear was "reasonable". The law does not allow for retaliation of a crime that has already occurred. For example if a guy breaks into your home and you know that he is leaving, you can't shoot him just because you are mad and he has broken the magical threshold of your home. 

But in this case we know now for a fact that the dead teen was unarmed. 

Can you shoot an unarmed man legally by mistake? 

Hmmm........

I have seen times in this forum and on others where a police officer shoots the dreaded "unarmed man". and some people are up in arms and no matter what argument is given for justification, it always comes back to, "but he was unarmed". Even fairly recently in this area the captain from Orange PD shot an "unarmed man". Many local discussion took place including on here and some people would always justify a murder charge because no matter what else, the dead guy was unarmed. 

So do those feeling apply across the board? Does fear count only for people that are not police officers? 

Sometimes I think public feelings are based less on facts and the law and more on emotion or political stance. 

i know this is off topic, but if a man enters my house without permission and i have a family to protect and i do not know his means of entry......he will meet the bullet whether the law says it right or wrong.  And i ll take whatever punishment the land gives.....   One less criminal to deal with in my eyes.

I have a family to protect and i will either die protecting them, serve a sentence protecting them or live free protecting them.....either way I AM PROTECTING THEM PERIOD.  my stance is not a political stance its a "Protector stance"

as far as this story.....lets get all the facts before we jump to any conclusions.

I am assuming that this guy will not get indicted simply because it does not matter what happened, it matters what you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt. 

From the many news reports that I have read, there appears to have been some kind of discussion between the two and not simply the father coming upon a strange in his home and firing. Was part of it the father confronting him and the kid saying that it was his girlfriend and that she finally admitted it, then the father killed him? 

If someone says that they will kill their daughter's boyfriend because he was in their home (and not underage for sexual assault) and will let a jury punish them, I think either that will not happen and it is bravado or it the person will see huge mistake once he is no longer protecting his family as he is doing many years in prison. It is hard to protect your family when you are sitting the next 25 years in prison. In fact you will likely barely be a memory if you ever get out. So much for protection. 

I agree with the statements like, "I will do what I need to protect my family". To that I want to drop down to a more teenage response and go... DUHHHHH!!!! 

But was the father actually protecting his family or was he an angry father? 

The evil Fox News reported that the father did not go into the bedroom with the gun. He came in to find out what happened, then he went to get a gun, then came back and got into some kind of argument. Hmmm.... does that change anything like this guy merely happened upon a suspected intruder? This case is whether the father knew who he was, if the guy was actually any threat, what a reasonable person would believe in the same place and was not retaliation because he was mad.  I am amazed looking at hundreds of comments (not on this forum) of the people that could care less about the law, what actually happened or that a likely innocent teenager is now dead but wanting to make this somehow a de facto gun rights, stand your ground or some other kind of issue.  

And again, I am assuming that he will get no billed and it will end simply because most of the evidence will be testimony of he and his daughter. For all the people that think this guy did a great job remember that the dead kid looks to be absolutely innocent of everything and unarmed. I asked on another website that has way more responders than this political forum, how many people commenting have either gone to their girlfriend's/boyfriend's home and were allowed to or allowed the other person to come inside? There were plenty of comments of things like, "I plea the 5th", "yes I've done that", etc. When you see comments like, "Great job", it makes you wonder. It makes me wonder if it was my 17 year old son if it would be okay to kill him simply because the father didn't like him. 

I wonder if they deserved the death sentence for having a boyfriend/girlfriend. 

Everybody says let's wait for the facts and that is true but I suspect that somehow all of the facts will not come out because any of them that are incriminating will not be told. 

So yes, let's protect our family. Does anyone in this forum know that is what happened? 

I am assuming that this guy will not get indicted simply because it does not matter what happened, it matters what you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt. 

From the many news reports that I have read, there appears to have been some kind of discussion between the two and not simply the father coming upon a strange in his home and firing. Was part of it the father confronting him and the kid saying that it was his girlfriend and that she finally admitted it, then the father killed him? 

If someone says that they will kill their daughter's boyfriend because he was in their home (and not underage for sexual assault) and will let a jury punish them, I think either that will not happen and it is bravado or it the person will see huge mistake once he is no longer protecting his family as he is doing many years in prison. It is hard to protect your family when you are sitting the next 25 years in prison. In fact you will likely barely be a memory if you ever get out. So much for protection.

I agree with the statements like, "I will do what I need to protect my family". To that I want to drop down to a more teenage response and go... DUHHHHH!!!! 

But was the father actually protecting his family or was he an angry father? 

The evil Fox News reported that the father did not go into the bedroom with the gun. He came in to find out what happened, then he went to get a gun, then came back and got into some kind of argument. Hmmm.... does that change anything like this guy merely happened upon a suspected intruder? This case is whether the father knew who he was, if the guy was actually any threat, what a reasonable person would believe in the same place and was not retaliation because he was mad.  I am amazed looking at hundreds of comments (not on this forum) of the people that could care less about the law, what actually happened or that a likely innocent teenager is now dead but wanting to make this somehow a de facto gun rights, stand your ground or some other kind of issue.  

And again, I am assuming that he will get no billed and it will end simply because most of the evidence will be testimony of he and his daughter. For all the people that think this guy did a great job remember that the dead kid looks to be absolutely innocent of everything and unarmed. I asked on another website that has way more responders than this political forum, how many people commenting have either gone to their girlfriend's/boyfriend's home and were allowed to or allowed the other person to come inside? There were plenty of comments of things like, "I plea the 5th", "yes I've done that", etc. When you see comments like, "Great job", it makes you wonder. It makes me wonder if it was my 17 year old son if it would be okay to kill him simply because the father didn't like him. 

I wonder if they deserved the death sentence for having a boyfriend/girlfriend. 

Everybody says let's wait for the facts and that is true but I suspect that somehow all of the facts will not come out because any of them that are incriminating will not be told. 

So yes, let's protect our family. Does anyone in this forum know that is what happened? 

in my statement if you didn't notice at the beginning i said "this is off topic" and then at the end i said "as far as this story goes"

no where did i say i would kill my daughter's boyfriend.

I ll take my chances firing my weapon to protect my "home" and surviving then possibly dying or a family member dying.  also take my chances in court and hope a jury will prove my innocence.

Someone entering my home without invite(by force) is the criminal whose needing punishment.

to answer your question.....he seemed like an angry father not a father protecting his home

If he's reaching for something, I'm not going to wait for him to shoot me with that something or even make a positive ID of that something. Just saying, I really don't know how many times you have been shot at. On battlefield or not, just in not in your best interest to wait to see what he's reaching for. I've got my life and in this case the daughters life to protect. Like 5gallon says. I'll pay the price. Rather pay the price in jail than the cemetery. And I'm most always on the police officer side, until he's proven guilty.