Dad shoots daughter's boyfriend... Your thoughts?

bullets13

I'm 

Could be?

Not even in the same ballpark. 

The boy was 17 and the girl was 16.

Texas Romeo and Juliet Law-

"This meant that a consensual sexual relationship between a 16 year-old and a 17-year old was illegal, and would result in the 17-year old registering.  Although it is still illegal, recent changes to Texas law now exempts the actor from registering."

Please help me find the ballpark.

So you are saying that most Americans would agree that killing a 17 year old that did nothing illegal? 

If not it sure appears that is what you are saying.

Doesn't matter if you agree or not or what the law says, Yes, that what I'm saying. In my house , uninvited at night, with my daughter, Guilty! Just the way Americans think, specifically in the Greatest State of Texas! Lets face it or (you) has he been charged?

Doesn't matter if you agree or not or what the law says, Yes, that what I'm saying. In my house , uninvited at night, with my daughter, Guilty! Just the way Americans think, specifically in the Greatest State of Texas! Lets face it or (you) has he been charged?

No, it has not gone in front of the grand jury. If you read back in the forum I have said that it is what can be proven and not what happened.

The guy's only out at this time (and it will likely be enough legally) is his daughter saying that she said she didn't know him. This guy did not confront some guy in the hallway that he didn't know in the night and shoot in self defense. He went into his daughter's bedroom, had words with the guy, went and got a gun and then came back and shot him. 

According to any statements made to the police that night, he might be charged for Murder (spending 50 years in prison is not protecting your family) or he might "get away with it". 

For all I care you can kill someone for kissing your daughter on the porch but be prepared for the consequences. 

For all I care you can kill someone for kissing your daughter on the porch but be prepared for the consequences. 

Now that's an apples to oranges comparison and you know it.   Big difference between catching someone in bed with your daughter (who she at first claimed she didn't know) and catching her kissing her boyfriend on the porch.   The guy was trespassing at 2:30 in the morning, in the girls room and she claimed she didn't know him.  As far as the Dad is concerned this guy broke in and is assaulting his daughter.  I would see it as reasonable to at least go get a gun at that point.  After that the kid supposedly made a wrong move and got shot.  That is only the real point of contention as far as I'm concerned.

I'm 

The boy was 17 and the girl was 16.

Texas Romeo and Juliet Law-

"This meant that a consensual sexual relationship between a 16 year-old and a 17-year old was illegal, and would result in the 17-year old registering.  Although it is still illegal, recent changes to Texas law now exempts the actor from registering."

Please help me find the ballpark.

As long as the other party is not "more than" 3 years older, the age of consent in TX is 14 years old. 

The law does not use the term of "age of consent" but merely states the law. If a 14 year old girl has consensual sex with her "adult" 17 year old boyfriend, there is not crime. We have these cases come up fairly frequently and the parents demand the boy's arrest and we usually say, sorry but it is legal. 

In layman's terms, if you a person is not more than 3 years to the day (not 3 years and 1 day) older than the other person, sex with consent is legal in TX at 14. At 13 and under it is not legal, period. If there is more than a 3 year difference in age, 17 is the age of consent. 

In this case there can be no statutory rape or assault by age because the boy was only one year older than the girl. The only way a sexual assault happened is if it was by force or threat just like any other sexual assault and there is no such accusation that I have seen. 

Now that's an apples to oranges comparison and you know it.   Big difference between catching someone in bed with your daughter (who she at first claimed she didn't know) and catching her kissing her boyfriend on the porch.   The guy was trespassing at 2:30 in the morning, in the girls room and she claimed she didn't know him.  As far as the Dad is concerned this guy broke in and is assaulting his daughter.  I would see it as reasonable to at least go get a gun at that point.  After that the kid supposedly made a wrong move and got shot.  That is only the real point of contention as far as I'm concerned.

Really?

Did you read the comment that I responded to? The statement was that if I find a guy uninvited (but this guy was invited) then the answer is "guilty". 

Well just like a guy standing on a porch, this kid was guilty of nothing. Apples and apples. 

There was no claim that "if I was in fear of my life". The only statement was that is a person is with the daughter, guilty. 

I hate to tell you but any person that is legally in a home can invite someone inside. If a guy's wife invites her friends over for a party at 3:00AM and it is keeping him awake at night, he has no legal recourse to do anything except seeking an attorney to see what kind of divorce settlement he can get. 

Yes. If either of them were to drive a car at 15, the law is pretty clear.

I

Apples and oranges.

Driving a car doesn't take a two party consent to constitute the crime. A claim of sexual assault does as it takes at least two parties. 

The guy's only out at this time (and it will likely be enough legally) morally also  is his daughter saying that she said she didn't know him. This guy did not confront some guy in the hallway that he didn't know in the night and shoot in self defense. He went into his daughter's bedroom, had words with the guy, went and got a gun and then came back and shot him. That sounds like self defense to sane people.

Defense is necessary force. If you are going to include a person's morality into self defense, get ready for a lot of dead people. 

That is what many Muslims are now using to justify murder. 

Wrong thinking on your part, if the guy killed his own daughter you could invoke the Muslim thing.

Go to any culture in History and what would happen if a man walked into his own house  and found somebody who broke into and was "assaulting" his daughter and she claimed that she did not know him. No doubt that the dad killed the intruder but he did not murder him.

Wrong thinking on your part, if the guy killed his own daughter you could invoke the Muslim thing.

Go to any culture in History and what would happen if a man walked into his own house  and found somebody who broke into and was "assaulting" his daughter and she claimed that she did not know him. No doubt that the dad killed the intruder but he did not murder him.

Feel free to do anything that you believe you can get away with.

TX law does not allow deadly force for trespassing and this kid was not even doing that. 

I have a hard time wondering why so many are fervently defending the father for killing what we know was an innocent kid. Maybe the kid lunged for the gun and caused his own death but short of that, I can't see a justification for killing him. 

I can just about assure you that if this kid was the child of a parent in this forum, we should be seeing a huge difference and outcry on how a person that was guilty of nothing but having a stupid girlfriend got the death sentence by a guy that was in such fear for his child that he left the room to go get a gun and come back. If I thought that a guy was armed and a danger to my child, I have a hard time believing that I would leave the room, probably with my child in there that I claim that I am worried about. 

Yes I am looking at it from a law enforcement standpoint and the law and I have said more than once this guy will probably get away with the shooting but that does not mean that what he did was right or legal. 

I can understand people "understanding" how this could've happened. i can't understand the somewhat congratulatory tone many people are using when they talk about his actions.

I would not congratulate the man. I do believe, under the same circumstances, I would protect my daugher. That is assuming she said she did not know the person in her room. 

Feel free to do anything that you believe you can get away with.

TX law does not allow deadly force for trespassing and this kid was not even doing that. 

I have a hard time wondering why so many are fervently defending the father for killing what we know was an innocent kid. Maybe the kid lunged for the gun and caused his own death but short of that, I can't see a justification for killing him. 

I can just about assure you that if this kid was the child of a parent in this forum, we should be seeing a huge difference and outcry on how a person that was guilty of nothing but having a stupid girlfriend got the death sentence by a guy that was in such fear for his child that he left the room to go get a gun and come back. If I thought that a guy was armed and a danger to my child, I have a hard time believing that I would leave the room, probably with my child in there that I claim that I am worried about. 

Yes I am looking at it from a law enforcement standpoint and the law and I have said more than once this guy will probably get away with the shooting but that does not mean that what he did was right or legal. 

TVC, where did you see an article that said he left the room?  I can't find it.

I don't see how he could have left the room with the daughter still in the room with this guy if that is what he did.

"McCormick was shot  by his girfriends father after she denied knowing who he was and he made a sudden move that the father interpreted as aggression.

In general, it’s a bad idea to make sudden moves when someone has a gun pointed at you, especially when they are in their own home and aren’t sure who you are, or why you are there"

Sounds to me like he entered the room with the gun.

TVC, where did you see an article that said he left the room?  I can't find it.

I don't see how he could have left the room with the daughter still in the room with this guy if that is what he did.

I read several stories on it before I commented which is my usual practice. At least one of them (I remember one was from Fox News which is also the source in the OP) said that he went to the bedroom, saw the boy and then went back to get his gun. Several of the articles mentioned the ensuing argument, again giving a good chance that he and the girl told that he was invited in. 

At least a couple involved interviewing neighbors that said that the kids had a saying not to go around that house because of fear of the father. I can  see that it was for good reason but it also might show some of the insight to a person that was enough of a loose cannon that the neighborhood kids talked about him. 

I read several stories on it before I commented which is my usual practice. At least one of them (I remember one was from Fox News which is also the source in the OP) said that he went to the bedroom, saw the boy and then went back to get his gun. Several of the articles mentioned the ensuing argument, again giving a good chance that he and the girl told that he was invited in. 

At least a couple involved interviewing neighbors that said that the kids had a saying not to go around that house because of fear of the father. I can  see that it was for good reason but it also might show some of the insight to a person that was enough of a loose cannon that the neighborhood kids talked about him.

If he left that room to get his firearm that sounds more like an angry father than a father that felt like his daughter was in immediate danger IMO.

If he left that room to get his firearm that sounds more like an angry father than a father that felt like his daughter was in immediate danger IMO.

Several of the articles say that the investigators (cops) say that there was an argument. That to me leads me to wonder how much "fear" was involved as opposed to "anger". 

Like I have said a few times though, you can be as guilty as ever if they don't have the evidence to prove it. 

So a minor can leagally consent to sex, but cannot open a bank account? That makes sense.

today's society....tv, video games, internet.....we allow our kids to see all kinds of sexual relations thru those outlets.....and teach no responsibility.

like tvc said complain to our congressman.....    vote for more conservative views...