Who will be the new Chief of PNG?/Jeff Joseph named lone finalist

Indianforever

1 hour ago, hitman009 said:

really.... I have nothing against Peevey. He is a great man and coach... but Westbrook finished 3rd in district in 2019.. in 2020 they were 4-6 and finished 4th in district.. All under Peevey.  Do you think if they were returning to the State Championship on a consistent basis like they did in 2018 that the success of the program would have not made a difference...  then I don't know what to say... That would go against 99% of coaches mentality.. 

Some might say CL improved the WB program from the previous year and they would be technically correct. . 

I never said I think that. What I think is that even the best coaches go through cycles with their programs. Sometimes, they have a mediocre season or two. It happens. That's the nature of high school football. The key is being able to maximize the talent you have, and overcome the disadvantage through execution, fundamentals and discipline wherever possible.

Your question to me was whether I thought Peevey's departure from West Brook had to do with a lack of upcoming talent. I gave a specific answer to that narrow question which accounted for a much broader range of potential motivators for that move, which I think were much more likely factors than lacking talent. BISD consistently produces a worthwhile crop of talent, and West Brook, in my opinion, is set to gain a larger share of that talent now that Ozen and Central have merged. There's little doubt that if Peevey had stayed at West Brook, he would have continued to have winning seasons at least most of the time, even if not in the immediate future. He would certainly be working with more talent than he has at LC-M.

Whether Peevey would have done better than Langston in 2021 is a separate question. We'll never know the answer, but based on their respective records, I wouldn't bet against Peevey. I don't think there are many coaches out there who could turn LC-M around in his first season the way Peevey has. For that matter, I don't think there are many coaches out there who could have gotten West Brook to the state championship in 2018 the way Peevey did. Peevey has repeatedly shown he has the ability to make a successful high school program, amassing a 44-18 (.710) record in five seasons as a high school head coach that includes a playoff run every season, a district championship, and a quarterfinal appearance in addition to the state championship appearance. Even adding Langston's 48-37 (.565) record as a college head coach to his 14-25 (.359) record as a high school head coach, Langston's overall head coaching record is a break-even 62-62 (.500). It includes two FCS playoff appearances and one FBS bowl appearance in eight seasons at the college level, and no playoff appearances in four seasons at the high school level. Clearly, he has yet to produce any evidence of comparable ability to Peevey.

PS: Your point about Langston 'technically' improving on Peevey's 2020 record at West Brook is, at best, debatable. Langston finished the 2021 season 5-5 at West Brook with no playoff berth. Peevey took West Brook to the playoffs in 2020 and lost, for a 5-6 record. Viewed in the light most favorable to Langston, his best season as a high school head coach tied Peevey's worst.

As others have said, Peevey would appear crazy to be interested in this job.  To deduce why, one would need not look further than LCM’s treatment of his predecessor (Crouch), and PNG’s treatment of his would-be predecessor, Faircloth.   LCM has always paid their coaches really well (Crouch stayed one of the highest paid coaches in the area) and, maybe more importantly, the admins stay out of their way and let them do their thing. 

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Let me play to your intellect:  Do you think the same thing was being said about Carthage before Surratt got there?  How about at Aledo before Buchanan?  How about Brownwood before Wood got there?  BTW, Wood won State in his first year.  How about at Stephenville before Briles got there?  How about Celina before Moore got there?  The point is -- there where not ANY State Titles won before these "coaches" got to their respective schools!   So, I'm sure you are intelligent enough to see what the difference was:  The Coach!  So, straight to your point:  Yes, PNG can win A State Title if the "right" coach is selected!  Now, if the selection is s "buddy" deal, then all bets are off! 

They had the X's but didn't have the Joes. There's no Joes moving in  , just Joses

3 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Unfortunately for PNG, that seriously good class will be seniors during a new coaches transition year. Thats not to say things can't click, because they can, but typically it takes a season or two, including off seasons, for a new program to be fully installed and implemented.

Hoping the best for PNG! 

Malone came in and took a 1-9 team to go 12-2. It can be done.

3 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

The last PNG head coach went 10-0 his first season on the Rez… with a less talented class than the current one they are about to have.

Yes, BF wanted to run a passing offense and did not have an experienced QB.  He identified rising jr. B. Doty in spring practice, developed him,  and won the first 11 games.  PN-G was throwing into the end zone on the last play of a 21-27 loss to an absolutely loaded with talent state finalist Brenham team. 

Think about Crippen's experience and talent AND the experience on both sides of the ball.

11 minutes ago, agrfall1970 said:

Yes, BF wanted to run a passing offense and did not have an experienced QB.  He identified rising jr. B. Doty in spring practice, developed him,  and won the first 11 games.  PN-G was throwing into the end zone on the last play of a 21-27 loss to an absolutely loaded with talent state finalist Brenham team. 

Think about Crippen's experience and talent AND the experience on both sides of the ball.

And don’t forget, we were down 20-0 to Brenham at halftime. That game was played two days after a well known, well liked PN-G athlete passed away. The team’s heart wasn’t in it the first half, but they came out on fire in the second half and almost pulled off the upset anyway.

I’ve often wondered what Faircloth said in that locker room during halftime to get them firing on all cylinders again. I have to imagine it was a helluva speech.

8 hours ago, hitman009 said:

really.... I have nothing against Peevey. He is a great man and coach... but Westbrook finished 3rd in district in 2019.. in 2020 they were 4-6 and finished 4th in district.. All under Peevey.  Do you think if they were returning to the State Championship on a consistent basis like they did in 2018 that the success of the program would have not made a difference...  then I don't know what to say... That would go against 99% of coaches mentality.. 

Some might say CL improved the WB program from the previous year and they would be technically correct. . 

Peevey left because of a combination of things. @PN-G bamatexhas mentioned along with wanting to coach his own sons (his kids weren’t going to go to Westbrook) as well there was too much politics involved at Bmt. 
as far as athletics he s in full control now.

his move is even more genius now that CT has retired.

Football HC s  at Bmt don’t stick around long for a reason…..and it’s not because of lack of athletes.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:35 PM, 409PNG25 said:

I’m sure there referring to Chuck Langston. When they mention multiple levels I’m sure it’s him and not JDC. Chuck lived in PN for a good while and even worked for Faircloth for a small time frame. He is very respected here as a person and a coach. I always thought Faircloth would take a better job and had hoped we could get Langston here. This isn’t how I wanted to go down but I hope he puts in for the job. I think people need to realize he has always had Faircloth’s back and   wouldn’t do anything behind the scenes to hurt him or his family. He’s been fired and for a coach and especially his family it’s tough. I don’t think any board member has chuck as there guy. I hope he does apply and all the toxic bs doesn’t deter him but I’m not sure he will. We couldn’t get a better guy to run our athletic program and mentor our boys. He’s doing a great job at west brook and they love him there. Whoever gets the job I’ll support like just like I’ve supported png since I moved here. I would love it to be Chuck but if not best man for the job. CT

Did’t CT just retire, if so he cannot coach in Texas for one year.

3 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

And don’t forget, we were down 20-0 to Brenham at halftime. That game was played two days after a well known, well liked PN-G athlete passed away. The team’s heart wasn’t in it the first half, but they came out on fire in the second half and almost pulled off the upset anyway.

I’ve often wondered what Faircloth said in that locker room during halftime to get them firing on all cylinders again. I have to imagine it was a helluva speech.

As I recall, the big play of the game was a Brenham FG just before the half.  Without it the score would have 21-24 late in the 4th.  PN-G had wind at its back and could have attempted a tying FG.

10 hours ago, Reagan said:

Let me play to your intellect:  Do you think the same thing was being said about Carthage before Surratt got there?  How about at Aledo before Buchanan?  How about Brownwood before Wood got there?  BTW, Wood won State in his first year.  How about at Stephenville before Briles got there?  How about Celina before Moore got there?  The point is -- there where not ANY State Titles won before these "coaches" got to their respective schools!   So, I'm sure you are intelligent enough to see what the difference was:  The Coach!  So, straight to your point:  Yes, PNG can win A State Title if the "right" coach is selected!  Now, if the selection is s "buddy" deal, then all bets are off! 

To be fair Briles son was probably the best QB I’ve seen at the HS level. PNG QB is good, but not Briles good. His son single handed beat PNG for state. Lol

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to Who will be the new Chief of PNG?/Jeff Joseph named lone finalist