Who will be the new Chief of PNG?/Jeff Joseph named lone finalist

Indianforever

From KFDM's Angel San Juan:

I just talked to PN-G ISD superintendent Mike Gonzales, who says the district has hired legendary high school and college football coach Todd Dodge as a consultant to help PN-G in its search for a new football coach. Dr. Gonzales says, once a new coach is selected, Dodge has agreed to stay on as a mentor for one year to the new PN-G coach. Dodge, 58, is a Port Arthur native, who played quarterback for the University of Texas in Austin. He is currently the head coach at Westlake High School in Austin, he will retire from there at the end of the month. Gonzales says PN-G ISD could not hire Dodge as coach since he has decided to retire, but Gonzales says "We were able to hire the best to help us find the best."
Gonzales says up until this point, there have been 36 applicants for the top coaching job, he says applications will be accepted through Thursday afternoon.

I think this is theoretically a great move for PNG, but its hard to understand based on what everyone is saying on here. This move just doesn't make a lot of sense if there are really only two candidates being considered, both of whom are experienced and know the area. I could see this hire being very helpful if it was a truly objective hiring process where they want to hire a less-experienced coach thats new to the area. Message board rumors are never wrong though so we'll see. 

Brilliant move. Dodge is a guy If you read my original post from a few months back that I mentioned. He knows how to build a culture. And that’s what PNG needs. After all the negative publicity, I think after sitting back and looking at the big picture the powers that be got it right. Do I think you will see big names on the list? No… But I do think you can find another guy like BF, and with the help of a TD, change the culture. Just my opinion, and as you all know my only coaching experience is Tecmo Bowl..

Just now, BEARCPA said:

I think this is theoretically a great move for PNG, but its hard to understand based on what everyone is saying on here. This move just doesn't make a lot of sense if there are really only two candidates being considered, both of whom are experienced and know the area. I could see this hire being very helpful if it was a truly objective hiring process where they want to hire a less-experienced coach thats new to the area. Message board rumors are never wrong though so we'll see. 

With the obvious fact that I have absolutely no clue what they are doing or for that matter even care……

But also realizing that politics is politics and sometimes all about appearances….…..

The dealmakers for PNGISD might still have just a couple of main candidates (or even one). What I find intriguing is the year as a mentor for Dodge. I don’t know about lately but I have read in past years that Todd Dodge is known for giving coaching seminars/clinics. And why not? If I had his credentials in any endeavor, I would be consulting or doing seminars.

It sounds like they have arranged basically for a private one year seminar/clinic for whoever the new coach is from  probably one of the most in demand opinions about high school football that is possibly under the guise of, he is here to help us as part of a search committee but while he is here…….

Then toss in this.…….

As you say as shown by comments in this thread (some from people who either claim to be or seem to be in the know), it gives the impression that this whole process is rigged. Simply look at the comments on the WOS new coach. Before he was ever officially named and particularly afterwards, the feeling from many is that the interviews and taking of applications was rigged and just a dog and pony show. What better way for PNGISD to hire “their guy” but take some of the stigma off of their back then to say, Todd Dodge helped us come up with this selection!!!

Plausible in politics?

7 minutes ago, LonghornforEver said:

How do you know there are 36 applicants already? Will those names eventually come out to the public?

I know because of my intimate and inside knowledge of the workings of PNGISD!!!

Or maybe I just read the article….

Gonzales says up until this point, there have been 36 applicants for the top coaching job…

30 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

With the obvious fact that I have absolutely no clue what they are doing or for that matter even care……

But also realizing that politics is politics and sometimes all about appearances….…..

The dealmakers for PNGISD might still have just a couple of main candidates (or even one). What I find intriguing is the year as a mentor for Dodge. I don’t know about lately but I have read in past years that Todd Dodge is known for giving coaching seminars/clinics. And why not? If I had his credentials in any endeavor, I would be consulting or doing seminars.

It sounds like they have arranged basically for a private one year seminar/clinic for whoever the new coach is from  probably one of the most in demand opinions about high school football that is possibly under the guise of, he is here to help us as part of a search committee but while he is here…….

Then toss in this.…….

As you say as shown by comments in this thread (some from people who either claim to be or seem to be in the know), it gives the impression that this whole process is rigged. Simply look at the comments on the WOS new coach. Before he was ever officially named and particularly afterwards, the feeling from many is that the interviews and taking of applications was rigged and just a dog and pony show. What better way for PNGISD to hire “their guy” but take some of the stigma off of their back then to say, Todd Dodge helped us come up with this selection!!!

Plausible in politics?

Bingo - this is an extremely savvy PR move. 

Someone trying to cover their ass because they couldn’t get who they wanted. One of the names people have mentioned is not an applicant anymore! Blame social media for that! If I had a head coaching job somewhere I wouldn’t want my name thrown around like a couple have. So what happens if they apply and dont get it? I don’t think the names should be released especially if that coach is a head coach somewhere else. All that could do is cause issues with his current job. Personally if I was getting rid of BF I’d have had my candidate locked up and they didn’t and now they are scrambling so they won’t be blamed for the new hire. The PNG faithful can just blame Todd Dodge. And this article is not exactly as it appears. You will not see TD at PNG in person. Like others have said this is just a PR move. TD has been in Dallas and Austin and is going to come back here after retiring. Yeah right! I’m sure he can refer some good guys.

14 minutes ago, Eagle91 said:

Someone trying to cover their ass because they couldn’t get who they wanted. One of the names people have mentioned is not an applicant anymore! Blame social media for that! If I had a head coaching job somewhere I wouldn’t want my name thrown around like a couple have. So what happens if they apply and dont get it? I don’t think the names should be released especially if that coach is a head coach somewhere else. All that could do is cause issues with his current job. Personally if I was getting rid of BF I’d have had my candidate locked up and they didn’t and now they are scrambling so they won’t be blamed for the new hire. The PNG faithful can just blame Todd Dodge. And this article is not exactly as it appears. You will not see TD at PNG in person. Like others have said this is just a PR move. TD has been in Dallas and Austin and is going to come back here after retiring. Yeah right! I’m sure he can refer some good guys.

You have inside knowledge or letting your emotions see into the future?

Dodge announced his retirement to start in May. If he has put in his paperwork with TRS, then he cannot draw a salary from any school district in the state of Texas. He would have to "sit out" a year before he could draw a salary from a Texas school district. At least, that's how I understand it.

He could have put off the retirement in order to be hired or his hiring is under an independent contractor. Not really sure how all this works for a coach or admin.

My wife retired last May as a teacher and she could only work as an independent contractor for a Texas ISD and it had to be a job where a regular employee could not do. Otherwise that person would be considered an employee of the school district. She will have to sit out a year and then can hire back into a Texas ISD and be an employee and receive a salary and benefits.

Not sure what Dodge will fall under.

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to Who will be the new Chief of PNG?/Jeff Joseph named lone finalist