Kountze Lion Basketball is Back!!

24 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

They did play 6 or 7 times or maybe more. I know Silsbee won 3 or 4. The Silsbee team that lost in state in 2010 lost to Kountze in a playoff warmup that year. Kountze lost in the 2nd or 3rd round that year to New Waverly I think. Kountze has 4 state titles and Silsbee has 2. Kountze won 3 from 2003-07. There isn't a team Kountze could have put together over the past 30Β years that could have beat Silsbee the last 4 years.Β 

30 years? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

27 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

Any most high school basketball fans around SETX would agree. Am I wrong @whsalum ?

I gotta agree with aTmfan06. I-saw a lot of those Kountze clubs during those days and to say they couldn’t put a team together over the last 30 years that could have beaten the Tigers the last 4 years is a stretch. That would be fun drawing up hypothetical matchups and even getting to pick who was drawing up X’s and O’s. In addition to Hall and Hancock the club that had Busby, Powell and Haynes was pretty darn good.Β 

3 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Maybe because they share a district boundary line......

If my memory serves me right I rememberΒ in the late 90s Chris Miller would be at Silsbee for football and kountze for basketball

No. Just some things the two coaches disagreed on from a summer league a few years ago. To be honest, I don't think either coach had any interest in scheduling each other over the past few seasons. At least Joe didn't. He was looking for much bigger fish to fry.

And I was stating that I would take the Silsbee teams of last few seasons over the '04 Kountze team. I am not saying that you could combine several of those Kountze teams over 30 years and still not beat Silsbee. That would be silly.

I believe Kountze’s starting 5 most games was

Sr. Kethian Hancock - Northwestern StateΒ 

SR.Β Richard Richards - PV A&M (could be wrong here).Β 

Sr. Brandon Trahan - don’t remember much about him

Sr. Decolby Myers - 6’2 andΒ Probably best athlete on the team. Could jump almost from free throw line and dunk.

JR. Ashton Hall - Tulsa, Angelina JC, LamarΒ 

Bench was Basically state champs the next 2/3 years lol Jr. Phillip Coffey, Soph Adrian Lee, freshman cam powell, freshman Fred Boykin , freshman freddie Haynes and others I don’t remember. As well as Todd Sutherland as the Head Coach.Β 
Β 

like I said idk if Kountze would win but I believe they possibly could. Either way this was probably the best team Kountze would be able to put up against that Silsbee team.
Β 

ThereΒ may have been some Kountze teams that would haveΒ a shot at Silsbee from the past two years.Β 

No way do I think any Lion teamΒ beats the 2016 - 2017 bunch. That group was truly loaded. They won a state title DESPITEΒ losingΒ Devin McCain. They also came within,Β I think, 3 or 4Β points of beating 6A finalist Wagner that year.

1 minute ago, Tigers94 said:

ThereΒ may have been some Kountze teams that would haveΒ a shot at Silsbee from the past two years.Β 

No way do I think any Lion teamΒ beats the 2016 - 2017 bunch. That group was truly loaded. They won a state title DESPITEΒ losingΒ Devin McCain. They also came within,Β I think, 3 or 4Β points of beating 6A finalist Wagner that year.

Was Wagner nationally ranked?

The 04 and possibly the 07 Β kountze team might not beatΒ the Silsbee team from last year or year before. It would be close because those KountzeΒ teams were every bit as good as the Dallas Carter team that almost beat Silsbee. The 2 previous years to that though the 15’, 16’ Silsbee teams wouldn’t be within 10 points of those 2 kountze teams. So today they couldn’t hang with Silsbee the last 4 years is a HUGE stretch.

1 hour ago, Wise_one said:

The 04 and possibly the 07 Β kountze team might not beatΒ the Silsbee team from last year or year before. It would be close because those KountzeΒ teams were every bit as good as the Dallas Carter team that almost beat Silsbee. The 2 previous years to that though the 15’, 16’ Silsbee teams wouldn’t be within 10 points of those 2 kountze teams. So today they couldn’t hang with Silsbee the last 4 years is a HUGE stretch.

Disagree. I seen those Kountze teams. Wouldnt beat 16-19 Tigers. Good luck° 

1 hour ago, Wise_one said:

Dallas Carter would have beat Kountze by 20. That Carter team was loaded. Silsbee may have played one of there best games all year to beat them. Never seen 2 teams shot like that at state.Β 

9 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Dallas Carter would have beat Kountze by 20. That Carter team was loaded. Silsbee may have played one of there best games all year to beat them. Never seen 2 teams shot like that at state.Β 

I've watched that Carter game 3 times now. It was crazy how well they shot the ball.

If Silsbee had been just a little off that night, they would have probably lost.

Thirty years is approximately the period of time that I have watched Silsbee. I usually see six to ten Kountze games every year. I would not say that there was no Kountze team that could beat. a Silsbee team during that period because I think there were some years that Kountze would have won. But I don't think there is a Kountze team that could have beaten Silsbee the year Donyell Allen and Willie Jones senior led the Tigers or the two years that Silsbee won the state championship. There are several other teams that I doubt Kountze could have beaten. One was the team that had Eddie Fobbs and Chris Miller. Another was the team that went 31-0. However if they could have beaten any of those teams it would have been the 31-0 squad.Β 

By the way I stated after the first game I saw this year that the Lions were back and they would be a contender this year.Β 

8 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

Next year would be a perfect time for a Kountze vs Silsbee game.

Tigers are gonna be very young and inexperienced next season, although plenty talented.

Not as experienced as Kountze...that young group of Silsbee has played alot of basketball over there early years compared to what Ktz has coming back..