Orangefield Head Basketball Open

Coach Hardy leaving has nothing to do with the strength of the district or OISD's pay scale (which is pretty good compared to schools of similar size and demographics). He got married and he and his wife are moving back home (Tyler area) to be around family. I wish Coach Hardy and his young family nothing but the best in their transition. He did well trying to implement a new system at Orangefield, but took some licks with a young team. 

Actually, Orangefield is on the low end.  They can get creative with stipends i.e. football special teams coordinator stipend, girls athletic coordinator  BUT the teacher pay is low. Unfortunately, except for pole vaulting years back, I cant think of a sport they have tradition in i.e. BC baseball, WOS football, etc... 

I see you are new to this site whats your take on it?  1 and 9 is not good in district.  may not be the reason he left but ........

My take is exactly what I posted above. He left simply because he and his new bride wanted to be closer to family.

As far as the job, there is no doubt it's a tough place to win in basketball consistently. Coach Wrinkle did a great job trying to stay competitive in a tough district and Coach Hardy did his best with a young team. Orangefield has a good Little Dribblers program that's established and a good group coming up through the junior high. Now they have to find the right coach to breathe some energy into the program and who will stick around and see it through.

12 minutes ago, Slim Charles said:

My take is exactly what I posted above. He left simply because he and his new bride wanted to be closer to family.

As far as the job, there is no doubt it's a tough place to win in basketball consistently. Coach Wrinkle did a great job trying to stay competitive in a tough district and Coach Hardy did his best with a young team. Orangefield has a good Little Dribblers program that's established and a good group coming up through the junior high. Now they have to find the right coach to breathe some energy into the program and who will stick around and see it through.

A former head basketball coach and now principle should come back to coaching and take this job. ;)

6 hours ago, Slim Charles said:

Coach Hardy leaving has nothing to do with the strength of the district or OISD's pay scale (which is pretty good compared to schools of similar size and demographics). He got married and he and his wife are moving back home (Tyler area) to be around family. I wish Coach Hardy and his young family nothing but the best in their transition. He did well trying to implement a new system at Orangefield, but took some licks with a young team. 

I'm a teacher for another school district. I know a little about district pay scales.

14 hours ago, Slim Charles said:

You are correct on the reason for his decision.  Newly married, and then a little one on the way - he and his wife wanted to be closer to his family.  In speaking with various friends around 22-4A who really understand the game, I wasn't surprised when I consistently heard how well the Bobcats were coached this year.  He did a tremendous job.  

It's not easy taking over in a situation where you are trying to change a "culture; you really need your seniors to buy in and not make it more difficult.  In my opinion after watching the program for many years now, Hardy reminded me of Nathan Toon, the coach who had the most success at OF in that time, and has had a successful career since. I fully expect you will see the same with Sunny.

I always find it interesting that you not only can tell the obvious (like who can spell) by reading these boards, you also can ascertain who knows the game of basketball.  

Whoever they hire coming in, he will immediately inherit the deepest senior class OF will have for several years to come.  And if you buy into the Little Dribblers correlation, it also the group that made the deepest run at Nationals of any boys team in history of that program at Orangefield.    

When my G'son was a Fr on Evadale's JV in the 2015-16 season, we played Orangefield.  They had an older fellow coaching with the type voice you could hear all over the gym if he whispered.  I'm certainly no basketball authority, but he impressed me with his control of the team.  And though Evadale is 2A, we have some fairly good basketball players, and the Bobcats put a good whippin' on us.  When he was talking to them, you didn't see any players looking up or around.  All eyes were on him.  Don't know his name, but if he's still at Orangefield, I'd think they should give him serious consideration.

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

When my G'son was a Fr on Evadale's JV in the 2015-16 season, we played Orangefield.  They had an older fellow coaching with the type voice you could hear all over the gym if he whispered.  I'm certainly no basketball authority, but he impressed me with his control of the team.  And though Evadale is 2A, we have some fairly good basketball players, and the Bobcats put a good whippin' on us.  When he was talking to them, you didn't see any players looking up or around.  All eyes were on him.  Don't know his name, but if he's still at Orangefield, I'd think they should give him serious consideration.

Ray Montagne.  Was a very successful HC at LCM.  Our Lincoln faithful will remember him too.  When he was coaching freshmen at OF, many thought he was the best coach at the HS.  I think you know more than you let on ;) 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Zach Quinn absolutely knows his stuff.  But he's not giving up HS principal to coach.  

That's too bad too because he was definitely a good one. His situation was interesting to me because he was so young when he made the jump to admin. I understand doing it later in your career, but as a young, talented coach who I assume truly loved the game, it was weird to see him step out. 

8 hours ago, 2wedge said:

That's too bad too because he was definitely a good one. His situation was interesting to me because he was so young when he made the jump to admin. I understand doing it later in your career, but as a young, talented coach who I assume truly loved the game, it was weird to see him step out. 

Superintendent track.  $$$