Name 5 HS Basketball Rules that Drive Fans Crazy

List your Top 5 Misunderstood Rules in HS Basketball by Crazy Fans

1 - DUH..."That is BackCourt Ref!"...90% have no clue what backcourt really may be!

2- Fans don't understand that you do not have to be "Set" to take a charge

3- A 10 second call does not start over by a tip or deflection

4- A kicked ball must be intentional!

5- Fans do not understand when players can enter lane on a Free Throw! ("Come on Ref...They are in the lane early!")

6 hours ago, DXTR said:

It doesn't matter what the call is. If they favor your team (good call). If they go against your team (bad call).

Not true in all cases, that sounds like ref speak for excuse to call whatever. A bad call is a bad call. I personally think they ought to eliminate about half the rules or simply them to the point of being "obvious" to promote consistency. Traveling is a good example, who cares if a player shuffles a pivot foot 3/4 inch before they dribble? Sure if they just start walking then it's obvious, but I see this "shuffle" travel called all the time, it's petty and senseless. Then same ref will let hand checks go all night.

Ball hitting top of backboard (not fixture). Is it out of bounds or not? Ball OVER clearly is, but bouncing on top and back in play is unclear.

1 hour ago, TeamJagUS said:

Not true in all cases, that sounds like ref speak for excuse to call whatever. A bad call is a bad call. I personally think they ought to eliminate about half the rules or simply them to the point of being "obvious" to promote consistency. Traveling is a good example, who cares if a player shuffles a pivot foot 3/4 inch before they dribble? Sure if they just start walking then it's obvious, but I see this "shuffle" travel called all the time, it's petty and senseless. Then same ref will let hand checks go all night.

Ball hitting top of backboard (not fixture). Is it out of bounds or not? Ball OVER clearly is, but bouncing on top and back in play is unclear.

That's a live ball.  If it hits something (like a cord or bar) that is not part of the backboard, it is a dead ball.  But the top of the backboard is not out of play.  

Compared to most on here, I'm a basketball rookie.  The one that is totally out of my comprehension is the player with the ball on the floor.  I don't know the exact rule, and I see no consistency in the calls.  Some seem to move a lot & get no call, others barely move & get called.  Is there a short, clear, explanation?

42 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Compared to most on here, I'm a basketball rookie.  The one that is totally out of my comprehension is the player with the ball on the floor.  I don't know the exact rule, and I see no consistency in the calls.  Some seem to move a lot & get no call, others barely move & get called.  Is there a short, clear, explanation?

Yeah, it's a dumb rule, mostly for the reason you stated, it's called inconsistently. It SHOULD be one of those spirit of the rule things, is the player trying to get up with the ball? Is the player trying to advance the ball? Somebody will quote the rule song and verse, but at the end of the day you're right it's just not called with any degree of consistency.

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

That's a live ball.  If it hits something (like a cord or bar) that is not part of the backboard, it is a dead ball.  But the top of the backboard is not out of play.  

That's what I thought, but saw it called tonight just bouncing off the top back toward the lane creating a change of possession (and a no-bucket after it was rebounded and put back) at a critical point in a game that ended up being a 2 point game. I've seen it several times this season. Do refs have to go to training or even read the rule book?

On 2/14/2017 at 4:02 PM, TxHoops said:

By far, "over the back".  No such rule...

This thread should be changed to "Top 5 things fans SCREAM that drive ME crazy.  Or anyone else that actually knows basketball.

This one that you mentioned ^ is far and away one of the biggest reasons I can't stand going to high school basketball games.  When I hear/see someone yell "OVER THE BACK!" I literally want to walk up to them and slap them in the face.  Yes...no such call.  It's either a push, or nothing.  I can't stand that people don't realize when position isn't established in rebounding then it is literally a jump ball.  And someone can legally jump higher than or over another player and grab a rebound as long as contact isn't made.

My biggest pet peeve for sure.  Another one for me is when a referee calls traveling on a kid that does a Euro step.   

Oh.. and almost forgot.  "FOLLOW YOUR SHOT!"  Yeah that one drives me crazy too.  1st...what chance do you think a kid has of making a jumpshot if they literally sprint to the rim after release?.. 2nd...If you suck so bad at shooting that you know you need to run to the rim to get the rebound... Then you don't need to be shooting.  Sorry not sorry.