Do fans take sports too far?

I read some articles on here and I have said some things in the past about coaches that should lose their job. I have seen people go as far as to call out certain kids on this thread. My question is do we take things to far being a fan and forget these are kids playing not pros?

Guest Air Bisquit
Yes!!! Some do.
You have to remember this is Texas hs football.
[b]"It is not a passion it is a religion"[/b]

Calling out kids & coach's on a public forum is wrong any where, any place, & any time.

Well, I was a high school football forum fan before there were high school football forums. Literally, me and a few
Other folks who come here used to talk on a Beaumont enterprise open discussion back in 96. We said what we wanted because no one was watching. Now,,, EVERYONE is watching and everyone's a critic.
To me we should speak our minds here. Leave children's names out of negative (but honest) comments, but don't be afraid to tell the truth... Coaches however are fair game. They are grown men and fully realize the value of forum talk. There is no value, it's just idle Chatter. They know it, we know it. I say if it's honest, right or wrong.... It's your opinion... Let's hear it!!

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1290623" timestamp="1349391323"]
Duh? I'm a fan of a lot but not a fanatic! I'm a fan of many comedians and Im a fan of the Lakers. Would I ditch work, fight, or get into a argument over. NO!
[/quote]

What Aggie is saying is fan is short for fanatic just like bro is short for brother.  If you are claiming to be a fan, you are either a fanatic or something that circulates air. 

I think at the pro/college level it's worse than HS. I think these boards are probably policed a little too much, but the people in charge of the site are just that, in charge. If you don't like the rules, you don't have to be a member or visit the site. I don't agree with players names being said in a negative way, but I do believe the coaches should be fair game. I remember a thread being shutdown about coaches being on the hot seat. I didn't see anything wrong with that. I think there's a line in general but most people are good about not crossing it at the high school level. Hell, I've seen worse fights at a flag football pee-wee game.

I think some fans take it to far. Taunting visiting teams, coaches fighting coaches, fans fighting in the stands. Living here in Houston, I have seen much more than I was ever exposed to growing up. Some people live and die with a win or lost in high school. Have you guys ever been to a game and notice fans making large bets with each other? High School game!

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1291079" timestamp="1349447062"]
I think some fans take it to far. Taunting visiting teams, coaches fighting coaches, fans fighting in the stands. Living here in Houston, I have seen much more than I was ever exposed to growing up. Some people live and die with a win or lost in high school. Have you guys ever been to a game and notice fans making large bets with each other? High School game!
[/quote]

In the youth football section they have point spreads on youth football games (all in fun) ::)

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1291059" timestamp="1349445994"]
I think at the pro/college level it's worse than HS. I think these boards are probably policed a little too much, but the people in charge of the site are just that, in charge. If you don't like the rules, you don't have to be a member or visit the site. I don't agree with players names being said in a negative way, but I do believe the coaches should be fair game. I remember a thread being shutdown about coaches being on the hot seat. I didn't see anything wrong with that. I think there's a line in general but most people are good about not crossing it at the high school level. Hell, I've seen worse fights at a flag football pee-wee game.
[/quote]
No doubt, kids #'s or names should not be mentioned in anything but a positive and encouraging manner.  But I am not sure that I agree with those on here bashing coaches either.  We just had a thread locked that started as bashing of some local coaches, but turned into a discussion of which kids should be starting and why some are not.  So it started out being the coaches fault, but it ended up bad mouthing a few kids (kids that read these threads).  Personally, I would prefer if the forum made you use your real name as your screen name or open up the profiles so that they are public so we would all know who was doing the trash talking....it sure would cut down on the bashing and sour grapes and make it more of a discussion and not a way to blindly bash coaches and or players.  9 times out of 10, I would bet, that those bashing coaches have a kid that is not playing much or at all or feels like he or she should be playing a different position.  Just my .02...

Some fans do take sports too far. The main ones to me are the ones in the stands that holler and curse at the coaches, players, refs, and even other fans at the actual contest. Now you are right that we shouldn't bash kids, but we neither should bash coaches. However, if you are stating facts, is it then still considered bashing? There's that gray area again. And if you made people put their real names up on here, then you will see some real fights in the future because I believe they're gonna say what they're gonna say regardless.

[quote name="409Fan" post="1291182" timestamp="1349451735"]
Some fans do take sports too far. The main ones to me are the ones in the stands that holler and curse at the coaches, players, refs, and even other fans at the actual contest. Now you are right that we shouldn't bash kids, but we neither should bash coaches. However, if you are stating facts, is it then still considered bashing? There's that gray area again. And if you made people put their real names up on here, then you will see some real fights in the future because I believe they're gonna say what they're gonna say regardless.
[/quote]

I had my real name up on this forum for years. Im not afraid to back up what I say. I just got sick of being the only one (besides James), and all the self righteous narcissists spewing their Joel Olsteenism holier than thou garbage from behind an alias.  :)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder