Hempstead ISD Fires Popular Coach

Guest Farmer Fran

my problem with all of this is that the school board didn't hold the two kids (they wouldn't get back on the bus)that made the problem to the same standards as the coach. Fire the coach, declare the two kids a liability to the school and students. kids doing harm without  having punishments for them to fit the crime or attitude shows the school board wants NO accountability .alot of times, small towns especially vote in school board members that have no business sense. School is a multi-million dollar business and should be treated that way. Teachers should be held to higher standards but students should have a higher standard than just being able to breath.jmho

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="jimmyw" post="1213835" timestamp="1335124033"]
my problem with all of this is that the school board didn't hold the two kids (they wouldn't get back on the bus)that made the problem to the same standards as the coach. Fire the coach, declare the two kids a liability to the school and students. kids doing harm without  having punishments for them to fit the crime or attitude shows the school board wants NO accountability .alot of times, small towns especially vote in school board members that have no business sense. School is a multi-million dollar business and should be treated that way. Teachers should be held to higher standards but students should have a higher standard than just being able to breath.jmho
[/quote] I agree but also add that the parents also need to be held to a much higher standard than all the above mentioned.

JMO but today every kid has a cell phone with mom and dad on speed dial. I would have made that call and would have just set there until one of them to show up and pickup little johnny. I would have never left them in a town one hour away. But I would have not let them back on the bus. But maybe after a hour ride that mom and dad had to make to pick up their angel maybe they would teach them how to act  when on a school trip.

I would have called the cops, told them of the situation, and allowed them to supervise the two kids while me, my coaches, and obedient kids went to the house.  I think mommy and daddy should have had to make the trip due to their kids actions, but the coach should have made sure the cops were there to look after them for a little while.  That way, the coach would not have given mommy and daddy an excuse to get mad at anyone but the kids.

• 2 weeks later...
Coach Sargent was one of my coaches from 6th grade through high school and always a stand-up guy.  The reality is that ALL kids operate under some level of entitlement theory these days...obviously some worse than others with what they feel they are "due" or what is considered "disrespect" for them. 

I guarantee that if they had made that same play on a bus trip back about 1988 or so in Waxahachie...where both Coach Sarg and I are from...it would have been a much worse outcome for them.  Both of those young men are old enough to drive and old enough to be in a restaurant without adult supervision (as I am sure they have been many times before this).  They made a decision to act a fool and there are consequences for insubordination.  If I were a parent of one of them I would have expected a call with a rundown of what happened and then I would have personally gone to pick my child up and delivered them to the hospital for treatment after the beating that I would have given them upon my arrival.

The system (including most parents) has become INSANELY soft...and thats why we are cultivating generations of slack jawed, pussified punks that think they can do or say whatever they want.  NEWSFLASH...no you can't and the REAL WORLD doesn't care about your feelings or what you think you deserve for breathing....not everyone gets a trophy and if you don't get off your ass and participate in both your education and your life, you will find yourself in one of three places...dead, in jail or living under a bridge.

I enjoyed coaching and teaching at public schools but could not stand the lack of discipline on both the part of the schools and the parents of some students.  In short, Coach Sargent is a man among men and would be proud to have him coach any of my kids...glad to see he was reinstated by the school board.

[quote name="O-lineGuru" post="1219752" timestamp="1336496572"]
Coach Sargent was one of my coaches from 6th grade through high school and always a stand-up guy.  The reality is that ALL kids operate under some level of entitlement theory these days...obviously some worse than others with what they feel they are "due" or what is considered "disrespect" for them. 

I guarantee that if they had made that same play on a bus trip back about 1988 or so in Waxahachie...where both Coach Sarg and I are from...it would have been a much worse outcome for them.  Both of those young men are old enough to drive and old enough to be in a restaurant without adult supervision (as I am sure they have been many times before this).  They made a decision to act a fool and there are consequences for insubordination.  If I were a parent of one of them I would have expected a call with a rundown of what happened and then I would have personally gone to pick my child up and delivered them to the hospital for treatment after the beating that I would have given them upon my arrival.

The system (including most parents) has become INSANELY soft...and thats why we are cultivating generations of slack jawed, pussified punks that think they can do or say whatever they want.  NEWSFLASH...no you can't and the REAL WORLD doesn't care about your feelings or what you think you deserve for breathing....not everyone gets a trophy and if you don't get off your butt and participate in both your education and your life, you will find yourself in one of three places...dead, in jail or living under a bridge.

I enjoyed coaching and teaching at public schools but could not stand the lack of discipline on both the part of the schools and the parents of some students.  In short, Coach Sargent is a man among men and would be proud to have him coach any of my kids...glad to see he was reinstated by the school board.
[/quote]

What the heck are you talking about? You went way off on a tangent  saying these kids feel they deserve something and theyre lazy? C'mon they acted up on a trip, are you telling me you never did something stupid when you were young and around your friends, cause if you haven't I think you would be the first.

Then you wanna bring the entire generation up? News flash the kids in this generation aren't any worse than the hippys of past generations. Stop judding and entire generation based on isolated instances.

But back to the original subject of the thread. As a coach you are responsible for the safety of those kids when you go on trips, he had no right to leave them in a strange town by themselves. That is just stupid. The coach has to act like an adult.

I'm not saying what the kids did was right, it wasn't and they deserved to be punished, but you don't leave them.

Kids in this generation are very different than we were in my generation. Sure, we did stupid crap and acted like kids but never treated a teacher/coach the way they are allowed to treat them today. First would have been the whoopin from coach then the worse whoopin at home.......that is what these kids today are missing.

Now back to the discussion.......leave their butt and call their mommy

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1219811" timestamp="1336506255"]
Kids in this generation are very different than we were in my generation. Sure, we did stupid crap and acted like kids but never treated a teacher/coach the way they are allowed to treat them today. First would have been the whoopin from coach then the worse whoopin at home.......that is what these kids today are missing.

[/quote]

::) kids today aren't any different than kids in the past.

And yes they acted up so let's leave them alone in s strange place, that seems like a fair punishment ::).

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1219818" timestamp="1336507251"]
[quote author=Eagle11 link=topic=98748.msg1219811#msg1219811 date=1336506255]

[/quote]

[b]And yes they acted up so let's leave them alone in s strange place, that seems like a fair punishment[/b] ::).
[/quote]
Seems fair enough to me.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1219912" timestamp="1336529451"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=98748.msg1219818#msg1219818 date=1336507251]

[/quote]

[b]And yes they acted up so let's leave them alone in s strange place, that seems like a fair punishment[/b] ::).
[/quote]
Seems fair enough to me.
[/quote]

How so? Run the crap out of them when you get back, kick them off the team, suspend them from school any of those punishments would be fine, but you don't endanger the kids saftey.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1219917" timestamp="1336530120"]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=98748.msg1219912#msg1219912 date=1336529451]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=98748.msg1219818#msg1219818 date=1336507251]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Seems fair enough to me.
[/quote]

How so? Run the crap out of them when you get back, kick them off the team, suspend them from school any of those punishments would be fine, but you don't endanger the kids saftey.
[/quote]
He didn't endanger there safety. Wow. You act like there freaking toddlers or something.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1219925" timestamp="1336531690"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=98748.msg1219917#msg1219917 date=1336530120]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=98748.msg1219912#msg1219912 date=1336529451]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Seems fair enough to me.
[/quote]

[/quote]
He didn't endanger there safety. Wow. You act like there freaking toddlers or something.
[/quote]

Are you freaking kidding me? He didn't endanger thier saftey? How many times do you turn on the news and hear about another missing teenager or even worse a dead teenager, you act like they're 30 year old adults. Leaving two kids alone like that is just asking for a tragedy to happen.

Let me ask you a question. If you were driving you're kids back from a trip and they acted up a little in the car, would you leave your teenager alone in a small town?

This coach didn't even call thier parents he just drove off and left two MINORS in the middle of nowhere and didn't care if they got home.

falconfanatic....how old are you?  If you think kids now are they same as 15-20 years ago, you obviously don't have contact with any teenagers. Have you ever taught or coached that age group?  I never, NEVER acted a fool on a school outing...much less disobeying my coach/teacher and then refusing to get back on the bus.  You don't even know the whole story here do you?

I made my commentary to illustrate why the students acted as they did....because they have no fear of punishment and feel that everyone owes them something.  If you couldn't see that correlation, logic must not be your strong suit.

Why does the whole group have to bow down and cater to the slapnuts that want to be insubordinate?  Does that make sense?

[quote name="O-lineGuru" post="1219960" timestamp="1336543269"]
falconfanatic....how old are you?  If you think kids now are they same as 15-20 years ago, you obviously don't have contact with any teenagers. Have you ever taught or coached that age group?  I never, NEVER acted a fool on a school outing...much less disobeying my coach/teacher and then refusing to get back on the bus.  You don't even know the whole story here do you?

I made my commentary to illustrate why the students acted as they did....because they have no fear of punishment and feel that everyone owes them something.  If you couldn't see that correlation, logic must not be your strong suit.

Why does the whole group have to bow down and cater to the slapnuts that want to be insubordinate?  Does that make sense?
[/quote]

I am 22, and yes I have coached some 14-16 year olds. I know what I  read in the papers and it doesn't matter what the kids did, YOU DON't LEAVE THEM. I think question does need to be asked why did the kids refuse to get back on the bus? I have been on alot of road trips in my life im college and high school, and not once have I seen someone refuse to get back on the bus.

The previous generation always thinks the next generation is bad it has been going on since the beginning of time.

"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching."Quote by:Assyrian Tablet :c. 2800 BC [also attributed to Socrates] 

See even 5,000 years ago the adults thought the children were "punks". I bet your parents generation even thought your generation was full of punks.

So you correlate acting up on a road trip, to thinking you're owed something? No one group doesn't have to cater to another, no one ever said the kids shouldn't be punished, but again you do not leave them end of story.

Oh and btw I got an A in logic ;) 8)

I do not think O-lineGuru is narrowing it down to just this incident. Overall kids are very different today than in the 80's. We were different than kids in the 50's and 60's.

I am 48 and kids today, in general, have a since of entitlement. I have many teachers in my family and I am engaged to a teacher. They all will tell you that kids, behaviors and the way the school can deal with both are very different than when I was in school.

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1219982" timestamp="1336567963"]
I do not think O-lineGuru is narrowing it down to just this incident. Overall kids are very different today than in the 80's. We were different than kids in the 50's and 60's.

I am 48 and kids today, in general, have a since of entitlement. I have many teachers in my family and I am engaged to a teacher. They all will tell you that kids, behaviors and the way the school can deal with both are very different than when I was in school.
[/quote]

Every generation has people that think they're entitled to something. The hippies definitely thought they were entitled to something and that was a pretty big movement among young people back in the day.

There aren't any more kids today that think they are owed something than there were in generations past.

KIDS today......one word......UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!  They are cruel!!! And they will destroy anyone at any cost, doesn't matter who you are - heck that's the mentality of parents these days.....Parents need to go back to parenting and Administrator/teacher/coach needs to break out the paddle.....

I dont' feel these kids were put in harms way either and if that was my kid that had been left at the store, the COACH would be the last person i'd be looking for.....This generation needs to be taught RESPECT!!!!

[quote name="tjcfan08" post="1219995" timestamp="1336570582"]
KIDS today......one word......UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!  They are cruel!!! And they will destroy anyone at any cost, doesn't matter who you are - heck that's the mentality of parents these days.....Parents need to go back to parenting and Administrator/teacher/coach needs to break out the paddle.....

I dont' feel these kids were put in harms way either and if that was my kid that had been left at the store, the COACH would be the last person i'd be looking for.....This generation needs to be taught RESPECT!!!!
[/quote]
I agree 100% sir........but........respect starts at home. The child must respect him/herself and their family first and that is where the problem originates.

[quote name="tjcfan08" post="1219995" timestamp="1336570582"]

[/quote]

Kids will destroy anyone at any cost? Wow you make them sound like evil geniuses. Kids are the same today as they were when you were growing up, you just have a different point of view now. As you get older you mature and then you look at the actions of children and think oh my god, but you forget that you did basically the same things when you were a kid.

The coach obviously didn't care about the kids when he left them, he didn't even call thier parents. What if the kids phones were dead, werw they just supposed to stay at the store all night. If leaving two minors at a store in a random town by themselves, not knowing what type of people are around them isn't dangerous then I don't know what is.

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1219996" timestamp="1336570804"]
[quote author=tjcfan08 link=topic=98748.msg1219995#msg1219995 date=1336570582]

[/quote]
I agree 100% sir........but........respect starts at home. The child must respect him/herself and their family first and that is where the problem originates.
[/quote]

I totally agree.... ;)

Adults not only need to start acting like it but dress like one as well and I mean collared shirts in public! Flip flops should only be for wearing around the house, the beach, or the pool! I can't believe that parents think it's OK to let their children dress whatever they feel like dressing to church on Sunday mornings! More than 50 years ago, the majority of the men wore slacks, dress shirts, and ties as well as dress shoes to church and women wore hats and gloves as well! Now, they wear like sports jerseys, shorts, and sneakers! That would be acceptable on Sunday evening services when most pastors wear like khakis and a button-down or polo shirt on those nights! I was taught to wear my modest Sunday best! I respect that the times have changed since them but those who are Catholic and Mormon never thought it's acceptable to dress like they do to Sunday morning services! We should go back to the tradition of dressing up for church as well as eating out?

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1219994" timestamp="1336570221"]
We will leave it at that and just disagree I guess........but there is a huge since of entitlement now.

I have to work now, no government checks here.
[/quote]

What is that supposed to mean? I don't receive government checks, very few in my generation do. It is mostly the older generation that is living off the government.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder