Hempstead ISD Fires Popular Coach

Guest Farmer Fran

[quote name="skipmeister" post="1220006" timestamp="1336573100"]
Adults not only need to start acting like it but dress like one as well and I mean collared shirts in public! Flip flops should only be for wearing around the house, the beach, or the pool! I can't believe that parents think it's OK to let their children dress whatever they feel like dressing to church on Sunday mornings! More than 50 years ago, the majority of the men wore slacks, dress shirts, and ties as well as dress shoes to church and women wore hats and gloves as well! Now, they wear like sports jerseys, shorts, and sneakers! That would be acceptable on Sunday evening services when most pastors wear like khakis and a button-down or polo shirt on those nights! I was taught to wear my modest Sunday best! I respect that the times have changed since them but those who are Catholic and Mormon never thought it's acceptable to dress like they do to Sunday morning services! We should go back to the tradition of dressing up for church as well as eating out?
[/quote]
But it is called progress Skip.

I am kidding.....I agree

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1219998" timestamp="1336571398"]
[quote author=tjcfan08 link=topic=98748.msg1219995#msg1219995 date=1336570582]
KIDS today......one word......UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!  They are cruel!!! And they will destroy anyone at any cost, doesn't matter who you are - heck that's the mentality of parents these days.....Parents need to go back to parenting and Administrator/teacher/coach needs to break out the paddle.....

I dont' feel these kids were put in harms way either and if that was my kid that had been left at the store, the COACH would be the last person i'd be looking for.....This generation needs to be taught RESPECT!!!!
[/quote]

Kids will destroy anyone at any cost? Wow you make them sound like evil geniuses. Kids are the same today as they were when you were growing up, you just have a different point of view now. As you get older you mature and then you look at the actions of children and think oh my god, but you forget that you did basically the same things when you were a kid.

The coach obviously didn't care about the kids when he left them, he didn't even call thier parents. What if the kids phones were dead, werw they just supposed to stay at the store all night. If leaving two minors at a store in a random town by themselves, not knowing what type of people are around them isn't dangerous then I don't know what is.
[/quote]

Falcon, maybe i should say some kids..... ;)  and I'm 47 years old and have a 20 and 17 year old....That would put me right in the middle of it....IT is a different world than when I grew up, and that wasn't long ago.... ;D

[quote name="skipmeister" post="1220006" timestamp="1336573100"]
Adults not only need to start acting like it but dress like one as well and I mean collared shirts in public! Flip flops should only be for wearing around the house, the beach, or the pool! I can't believe that parents think it's OK to let their children dress whatever they feel like dressing to church on Sunday mornings! More than 50 years ago, the majority of the men wore slacks, dress shirts, and ties as well as dress shoes to church and women wore hats and gloves as well! Now, they wear like sports jerseys, shorts, and sneakers! That would be acceptable on Sunday evening services when most pastors wear like khakis and a button-down or polo shirt on those nights! I was taught to wear my modest Sunday best! I respect that the times have changed since them but those who are Catholic and Mormon never thought it's acceptable to dress like they do to Sunday morning services! We should go back to the tradition of dressing up for church as well as eating out?
[/quote]

So we go from a coach leaving players on a road trip to what people dress like? What's wrong with flip flops? I wear them almost everyday, does that make me a bad person? Does that mean I think I am owed something? Come on wow.

I am sorry this isn't the 50s anymore, I am sorry I didn't have to walk a mile to school uphill both ways. Does it really matter what they are wearing? They are still going to church. Is changing the way people dress going to somehow make them better people, is it going to make them better christians? I don't think so.

[quote name="tjcfan08" post="1220014" timestamp="1336573501"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=98748.msg1219998#msg1219998 date=1336571398]
[quote author=tjcfan08 link=topic=98748.msg1219995#msg1219995 date=1336570582]
KIDS today......one word......UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!  They are cruel!!! And they will destroy anyone at any cost, doesn't matter who you are - heck that's the mentality of parents these days.....Parents need to go back to parenting and Administrator/teacher/coach needs to break out the paddle.....

I dont' feel these kids were put in harms way either and if that was my kid that had been left at the store, the COACH would be the last person i'd be looking for.....This generation needs to be taught RESPECT!!!!
[/quote]

Kids will destroy anyone at any cost? Wow you make them sound like evil geniuses. Kids are the same today as they were when you were growing up, you just have a different point of view now. As you get older you mature and then you look at the actions of children and think oh my god, but you forget that you did basically the same things when you were a kid.

The coach obviously didn't care about the kids when he left them, he didn't even call thier parents. What if the kids phones were dead, werw they just supposed to stay at the store all night. If leaving two minors at a store in a random town by themselves, not knowing what type of people are around them isn't dangerous then I don't know what is.
[/quote]

Falcon, maybe i should say some kids..... ;)  and I'm 47 years old and have a 20 and 17 year old....That would put me right in the middle of it....IT is a different world than when I grew up, and that wasn't long ago.... ;D
[/quote]

I never said it wasn't a different world, but different doesn't mean worse.

Tongue in cheek falcon.......nothing intended.

I also do not expect you to agree with me. You are 22 and see the world through different eyes. It would be interesting to be on here when I am 73, you are 47 and see how perceptions may change.

When I was 14 - 20 my dad, rest his soul, was the dumbest man I knew. When I turned 40 and my kids were teenagers I thought he was a genius.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1220016" timestamp="1336573781"]
[quote author=skipmeister link=topic=98748.msg1220006#msg1220006 date=1336573100]
[/quote]

So we go from a coach leaving players on a road trip to what people dress like? What's wrong with flip flops? I wear them almost everyday, does that make me a bad person? Does that mean I think I am owed something? Come on wow.

I am sorry this isn't the 50s anymore, I am sorry I didn't have to walk a mile to school uphill both ways. Does it really matter what they are wearing? They are still going to church. Is changing the way people dress going to somehow make them better people, is it going to make them better christians? I don't think so.
[/quote]
It is respect. As an 11 year old through high school I did not like the dress up thing or see its relevance but I did not dare argue with dad. I would never wear flip flops to church. Very disrespectful. Also.....not aimed at you falcon........pull those damn pants up and stop trying to be some thug you aren't.

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1220023" timestamp="1336574232"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=98748.msg1220016#msg1220016 date=1336573781]
[quote author=skipmeister link=topic=98748.msg1220006#msg1220006 date=1336573100]
[/quote]

[/quote]
It is respect. As an 11 year old through high school I did not like the dress up thing or see its relevance but I did not dare argue with dad. I would never wear flip flops to church. Very disrespectful. Also.....not aimed at you falcon........pull those dang pants up and stop trying to be some thug you aren't.
[/quote]

I agree with the pulling up your pants thing, but he was talking about wearing shorts and tennis shoes to church. Doesn't seem that drastic to me.

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1220019" timestamp="1336573918"]

I also do not expect you to agree with me. You are 22 and see the world through different eyes. It would be interesting to be on here when I am 73, you are 47 and see how perceptions may change.

When I was 14 - 20 my dad, rest his soul, was the dumbest man I knew. When I turned 40 and my kids were teenagers I thought he was a genius.
[/quote]

My dad always said the same thing lol, but I never thought he was dumb.

It just makes me mad when people want to talk about an entire generation, because of the actions of the few. Most of my generation is made up of young, hard working, open minded people trying to be successful just like every other generation at that age.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1220025" timestamp="1336574445"]
[quote author=Eagle11 link=topic=98748.msg1220023#msg1220023 date=1336574232]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=98748.msg1220016#msg1220016 date=1336573781]
[/quote]

[/quote]
It is respect. As an 11 year old through high school I did not like the dress up thing or see its relevance but I did not dare argue with dad. I would never wear flip flops to church. Very disrespectful. Also.....not aimed at you falcon........pull those dang pants up and stop trying to be some thug you aren't.
[/quote]

I agree with the pulling up your pants thing, but he was talking about wearing shorts and tennis shoes to church. Doesn't seem that drastic to me.
[/quote]
It is with many because it was just something we did not do. I do not think it makes one better than the other and church is not a fashion show but out of respect for the place you are in and the people who are there I still like a little higher dress code. But here we go with age differences again. When I was a kid and the preacher saw me talking in church in our little group away from parents, he shut down the sermon and had my dad come get me and take me back to his seat. This was a church of 300 so it took a minute with everyone watching. I hated that man for a week or so but you know what? It never happened again.

He would have been run out of town today for embarrassing little Johnny or Susie

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1220031" timestamp="1336574925"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=98748.msg1220025#msg1220025 date=1336574445]
[quote author=Eagle11 link=topic=98748.msg1220023#msg1220023 date=1336574232]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
It is with many because it was just something we did not do. I do not think it makes one better than the other and church is not a fashion show but out of respect for the place you are in and the people who are there I still like a little higher dress code. But here we go with age differences again. When I was a kid and the preacher saw me talking in church in our little group away from parents, he shut down the sermon and had my dad come get me and take me back to his seat. This was a church of 300 so it took a minute with everyone watching. I hated that man for a week or so but you know what? It never happened again.

He would have been run out of town today for embarrassing little Johnny or Susie
[/quote]

AGREE!!!!!

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1220027" timestamp="1336574678"]
[quote author=Eagle11 link=topic=98748.msg1220019#msg1220019 date=1336573918]

[/quote]

My dad always said the same thing lol, but I never thought he was dumb.

It just makes me mad when people want to talk about an entire generation, because of the actions of the few. Most of my generation is made up of young, hard working, open minded people trying to be successful just like every other generation at that age.
[/quote]

I agree with most that is being said here, even you young falcon. I do think it is some kids not all. That being said most kids are not as respectfull these days compared to say 20 years ago. Alot more trash talking going on these days. I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the parents. We make it to easy on our kids but I think every generation is guilty of that. Every generation thinks the generations after them get worse and worse. Just the way it is.

Not only it takes discipline for trying to get the upcoming high school and college grads across the country to fill positions vacated by the baby boomer generation who are retiring almost everyday so we can get this economy back on track, people need to stop spending and get out of debt and stay out of it! That's the problem in this economy is debt! Maybe everyone should take Dave Ramsey's course or Christian Financial Concepts by Crown Financial! That includes everyone who is involved in Government (local, State, and Federal)! Maybe that'll teach the US how to control spending and save! I encourage everyone to visit either http://www.daveramsey.com/ or http://www.crown.org/ We need to be disciplined in being financially stable as well!

[quote name="skipmeister" post="1220079" timestamp="1336580513"]
Not only it takes discipline for trying to get the upcoming high school and college grads across the country to fill positions vacated by the baby boomer generation who are retiring almost everyday so we can get this economy back on track, people need to stop spending and get out of debt and stay out of it! That's the problem in this economy is debt! Maybe everyone should take Dave Ramsey's course or Christian Financial Concepts by Crown Financial! That includes everyone who is involved in Government (local, State, and Federal)! Maybe that'll teach the US how to control spending and save! I encourage everyone to visit either http://www.daveramsey.com/ or http://www.crown.org/ We need to be disciplined in being financially stable as well!
[/quote]

Maybe you should go to the politcal forum.

[quote name="skipmeister" post="1220196" timestamp="1336594803"]
Maybe I should run for political office! People need a gold ole fashioned politician who absolutely means business and all that fancy stuff is not needed! A real politician that knows what's going on anywhere and everywhere!
[/quote]

::)

And would your first order of business be the banning of flip flops?

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1220202" timestamp="1336596459"]
[quote author=skipmeister link=topic=98748.msg1220196#msg1220196 date=1336594803]
Maybe I should run for political office! People need a gold ole fashioned politician who absolutely means business and all that fancy stuff is not needed! A real politician that knows what's going on anywhere and everywhere!
[/quote]

::)

And would your first order of business be the banning of flip flops?
[/quote]
Only in church.....LOL

I would have dropped their little spoilt pansy rear ends off at the police station and had their parents drive out to pick them up.

More news of parents that blindly supporting their children instead of holding them accountable for their behavior.

Hey guess what... "It's not my fault that my kid acts like a enabled brat. Who else can I blame?"  :'( :'( :'(

[quote name="Football Freak 1" post="1220565" timestamp="1336682216"]
I would have dropped their little spoilt pansy rear ends off at the police station and had their parents drive out to pick them up.

More news of parents that blindly supporting their children instead of holding them accountable for their behavior.

Hey guess what... "It's not my fault that my kid acts like a enabled brat. Who else can I blame?"  :'( :'( :'(
[/quote]

I like this option.

[quote name="skipmeister" post="1220615" timestamp="1336689240"]
I would like to show y'all the comparison of discipline differences back in 1960 and in 2008! I want you to go to YouTube and put in "Life in 1960 vs 2008." This is how everything compares between those years!
[/quote]

Does it have anything to do with hippies and segregation? ;)

[quote name="skipmeister" post="1220615" timestamp="1336689240"]
I would like to show y'all the comparison of discipline differences back in 1960 and in 2008! I want you to go to YouTube and put in "Life in 1960 vs 2008." This is how everything compares between those years!
[/quote]

Are you serious? That was the stupidest thing I ever watched.

1. Teachers are still able to breakup fights.
2. No parent gets arrested for spanking thier child.
3. Getting slapped on the wrist with a ruler doesn't force a child to behave better forever.
4. No teacher would ever be accused of sexual abuse for helping a student up that fell.
5. Less kids dropout of school today than they did in the 60s. The dropout rate was 27% in 1960 and was only 8% in 2008.

Those are just some of the problems with that ridiculous video. If you really think this is the way the world is then you are seriously delusional.

falcon....I too got an A in logic...my argument goes like this, teens today feel that they are a world all to themselves and are not required to answer to anyone for their actions.  Perhaps you..at the ripe old age of 22...are too close to the fire I speak of to see the flame.

Your continual reference to "hippies" and "segregation" makes me think you are either stuck in a time warp or are channeling Cotton from King of the Hill.  I realize that every generation has its shortcomings...but since you weren't yet conceived when I graduated high school you simply have NO perspective on this. 

Since you are a man of logic (at least one class worth anyway, huh?!) you should know that your argument does not fit, a non-sequitur if you will.  Your contention is that kids today are no worse than they were in any other generation.  WRONG....look at teen incarceration figures (both those held as adults and as juveniles)...look at numbers in alternative programs.  I have taught and coached at every level....and junior high is the worst.  Kids now do not care...period.  You have no experience and no evidence to back your claims.  Come back when you have experienced a bit more of what the youth of today are really like.

Oh yeah.....one of my degrees is in Philosophy....lots of logic and ethics classes in my background.  :)

When I was back attending middle school in West Orange back in the late '90's, I was in a special Ed/resource class. I was the only student motivated to get an education! Most of most classmates in that class, who were African-American, didn't want to be motivated to get an education. Would you like to know why? Because probably don't care! Their parents and boyfriends/girlfriends/fiance(e)s probably let them do whatever they want, wherever they want, anytime they want! My teacher was outraged when one of the students stay out until 3 am on school night and the parents think it's ok to let them do this! This is why they go into slavery of gangs and drugs rather than working hard and getting an education as well as getting involved in extra-curricular activities! Their ancestors have been freed from slavery and living the American dream just like everyone else! They do not need to be enslaved into substance abuse, gangs, and crime! That isn't living the American dream! Other than that, they obviously do not care!

[quote name="O-lineGuru" post="1220958" timestamp="1336770051"]
falcon....I too got an A in logic...my argument goes like this, teens today feel that they are a world all to themselves and are not required to answer to anyone for their actions.  Perhaps you..at the ripe old age of 22...are too close to the fire I speak of to see the flame.

Your continual reference to "hippies" and "segregation" makes me think you are either stuck in a time warp or are channeling Cotton from King of the Hill.  I realize that every generation has its shortcomings...but since you weren't yet conceived when I graduated high school you simply have NO perspective on this. 

Since you are a man of logic (at least one class worth anyway, huh?!) you should know that your argument does not fit, a non-sequitur if you will.  Your contention is that kids today are no worse than they were in any other generation.  WRONG....look at teen incarceration figures (both those held as adults and as juveniles)...look at numbers in alternative programs.  I have taught and coached at every level....and junior high is the worst.  Kids now do not care...period.  You have no experience and no evidence to back your claims.  Come back when you have experienced a bit more of what the youth of today are really like.

Oh yeah.....one of my degrees is in Philosophy....lots of logic and ethics classes in my background.  :)
[/quote]

First off the logic class comment was in response to you criticizing my logic, I wasn't trying to compare myself to you. It was more of a joke than a serious comment.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2581/4054143209_c841950bbb_o.png
This chart shows the decrease in violent juvenile crime from 95 to 08

http://www.lao.ca.gov/1995/050195_juv_crime/kk07.gif

http://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime/JAR_Display.asp?ID=qa05200

These two charts show the decrease in juvenile arrest rates. In fact 2009 had the lowest juvenile arrest rate since the early 70s.

So we know juvenile crime is down, but lets look at teen pregnancy rates.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/02/08/teen-pregnancy-rates-reach-dramatic-40-year-low-in-us/

http://media.reason.com/mc/_external/2012_04/cdc-teen-pregnancy-chart-2012.png?h=310&w=500

This chart shows teen pregnancy rates from 1960 to 2010, as you can see teen pregnancy is much lower today than it was in the 60s.

So now we know that juvenile crime rates and teen pregnancy rates are lower, now lets look at teen drug useage rates.

http://www.publicagenda.org/files/charts/ff_illegaldrugs_teen_drug_use.png

This chart shows teen drug useage from 75 to 06, as you can see teen drug useage also peaked in the mid 70s..

http://pnhw.psychiatryonline.org/content/44/2/7/embed/graphic-1.gif

This chart shows the decrease in teen smoking from 75 to 08. 

http://apps.startribune.com/blogs/user_images/edinajo_1317230958_MSSdrinking.JPG

http://www.dontserveteens.gov/images/graph.png

These two charts shows the decrease in teen alcohol consumption.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0779196.html

This chart shows the decrease in dropout rates from 60 to 09

So now we know that juvenile crime is down, teen pregnancy is down, teen drug use is down, teen smoking is down, dropout rates are down, and teen alcohol consumption is down(the legal age for alcohol used to be 18 so that probably has something to do with thay decrease), but that's not all recently some prominent US citizens have shed some light on thier past.

The president is his book admitted to "attending class sparingly  drinking heavily, and using drugs enthusiastically"

A story came out that Mitt Romney held a "presumed gay kid down and cut his hair off( I am skeptical of this story).

Shawn Hannity said that there was a fight every day at his high school.

I don't know about your high school, but at mine we didn't have a fight every day(try once a month maybe) we didn't have kids that never went to class, we didn have kids drastically bully other kids, and we had very few kids that drank heavily and used drugs enthusiastically.

So I guess you were right about one thing I don't have the experience, but I dang sure got the evidence. Looking at the facts I would say it is pretty clear that kid todays are not worse than they were in the past  actually according to the stats they are better. Today's kids are committing less crimes, having less babies, smoking less, drinking less using drugs less, and staying in school more than kids in the past.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1221243" timestamp="1336789598"]
[quote author=O-lineGuru link=topic=98748.msg1220958#msg1220958 date=1336770051]

[/quote]

First off the logic class comment was in response to you criticizing my logic, I wasn't trying to compare myself to you. It was more of a joke than a serious comment.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2581/4054143209_c841950bbb_o.png
This chart shows the decrease in violent juvenile crime from 95 to 08

http://www.lao.ca.gov/1995/050195_juv_crime/kk07.gif

http://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime/JAR_Display.asp?ID=qa05200

These two charts show the decrease in juvenile arrest rates. In fact 2009 had the lowest juvenile arrest rate since the early 70s.

So we know juvenile crime is down, but lets look at teen pregnancy rates.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/02/08/teen-pregnancy-rates-reach-dramatic-40-year-low-in-us/

http://media.reason.com/mc/_external/2012_04/cdc-teen-pregnancy-chart-2012.png?h=310&w=500

This chart shows teen pregnancy rates from 1960 to 2010, as you can see teen pregnancy is much lower today than it was in the 60s.

So now we know that juvenile crime rates and teen pregnancy rates are lower, now lets look at teen drug useage rates.

http://www.publicagenda.org/files/charts/ff_illegaldrugs_teen_drug_use.png

This chart shows teen drug useage from 75 to 06, as you can see teen drug useage also peaked in the mid 70s..

http://pnhw.psychiatryonline.org/content/44/2/7/embed/graphic-1.gif

This chart shows the decrease in teen smoking from 75 to 08. 

http://apps.startribune.com/blogs/user_images/edinajo_1317230958_MSSdrinking.JPG

http://www.dontserveteens.gov/images/graph.png

These two charts shows the decrease in teen alcohol consumption.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0779196.html

This chart shows the decrease in dropout rates from 60 to 09

So now we know that juvenile crime is down, teen pregnancy is down, teen drug use is down, teen smoking is down, dropout rates are down, and teen alcohol consumption is down(the legal age for alcohol used to be 18 so that probably has something to do with thay decrease), but that's not all recently some prominent US citizens have shed some light on thier past.

The president is his book admitted to "attending class sparingly  drinking heavily, and using drugs enthusiastically"

A story came out that Mitt Romney held a "presumed gay kid down and cut his hair off( I am skeptical of this story).

Shawn Hannity said that there was a fight every day at his high school.

I don't know about your high school, but at mine we didn't have a fight every day(try once a month maybe) we didn't have kids that never went to class, we didn have kids drastically bully other kids, and we had very few kids that drank heavily and used drugs enthusiastically.

So I guess you were right about one thing I don't have the experience, but I dang sure got the evidence. Looking at the facts I would say it is pretty clear that kid todays are not worse than they were in the past  actually according to the stats they are better. Today's kids are committing less crimes, having less babies, smoking less, drinking less using drugs less, and staying in school more than kids in the past.
[/quote]

[quote]but at mine we didn't have a fight every day(try once a month maybe)[/quote]
Idk what school you went to but both high schools i went to ( and i'm only 2 years older than you) there were fights every day and sometimes two or three fights in a day

[quote]we didn't have kids that never went to class[/quote]
seriously? did you go to a catholic school or something? my class started out at 394 our freshman year and by the time i left (middle of junior year) we had less than 300 left in school and my school i graduated from lost almost 50 kids in less than 2 years.

[quote]we didn have kids drastically bully other kids[/quote]
Vidor hit list about 7 years ago. Nuff said.

(if you don't know the story look it up)

[quote]we had very few kids that drank heavily and used drugs enthusiastically[/quote]
i'm seriously beginning to think you went to a catholic school or something man. Now a days its rare if you actually made it through high school without drinking or experimenting with drugs.

Now idk where you went to school at falcon but this is how it is in the two high schools i went to.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder