Lumberton Raider offense

[quote name="raideroldtimer" post="1224511" timestamp="1337564132"]
First of all, if the 3 offenses are the same then you gotta look at how the teams are doing. If two are successful and one isn't, is it really the offensive scheme that's at fault. What about the other teams that run offenses similar to each other? It's more of a talent thing, the coach works with what he has plain and simple. Sometimes that even means making a drastic change in the offense to capitalize on the talents of certain players. Unfortunately Lumberton seems to have a hard time developing young talented players, losing them to other sports for the most part. What else would explain having one of the premier soccer teams in the area consistently while being middle of the road in other sports. If we had a larger student body to choose from like the bigger 4-A's and had a little less apathy towards sports in general (a huge number of students choose not to participate in extracurricular activities), Lumberton would always be in the mix. We just have to wait for the perfect storm of talents to come along, which they will as they've done recently. As far as the coach, he is an excellent individual who gets the best he can out of what he is presented with. I for one hope he stays in Lumberton for many years in order to actually get a tradition built up. Tradition builds champions, look at how well Nederland (Newman has been there how long?), PNG (talk about tradition overload, they believe they can therefore they can), Vidor (seems to be getting stronger and stronger thanks to having a long term coach). The rest of us tend to be flash fires, a good year or two here then out for awhile. By the way, this is my observation as a long time fan and alumni. I consider myself a huge fan of Lumberton and have had season football tickets for at least 20 years since moving back to Lumberton, I also always make it a point to make it to several of the other sports/school activities every year as well even though my child never went to Lumberton and is twelve years past high school anyway. To me the L-Train will be always the best team in the world win or lose!
[/quote]
good post and you are right. you have to give time for something to develop and take form. some are just too much in a hurry to win now. people with kids playing want to win now and if they don't, then it was the fault of the coaches. sad thing is, once their kid is out of school, they are no longer a fan(some). they don't understand that it takes time to build a program. and as far as possible talent comming in. i'd go as far to say this. if i worked for one of the refineries(or any local business) and was transfering to this area, obviously my choices of a home are vast. if i have a child that is an excellent athelete and has future potential(imo) or just wanted to be a part of a winning program, where do you think i am going to look to live?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what raidernaytion's experience is with coaching football.  I can only say this...unless a person has coached or knows a whole lot about coaching anything more than powderpuff football, sometimes it's best to not say anything...If that person chooses not to keep quiet (which is definitely his right), he just might let people understand how really stupid he is...not calling names...just explaining a scenario...

[quote name="basketball25" post="1209152" timestamp="1334157468"]
becasue those other kids get bigger, faster, and stronger!!! you gotta work hard to stay competitive maybe those youth kids don't work hard  to get better as they get older, maybe they just get satisfied and think ole we beat them in youth so we should beat them when we become a varsity player, thats not how it works!! you just can't work hard when its football season and during off-season, you gotta work hard year around!!but hey its always the coaches fault, these kids need to be accountable for something!!! but lets face it lumberton doesn't have a beard, hanna, hussey, and those oline guys when they were successful but those guys worked hard in the weight room and look what kind of success lumberton had!!!

hard during the summer to get better and look what kind of success lumberton had!!!
[/quote]

This has been the question for years in Ned, we ask how can Lumberton be so good in junior league fb and reach hs against us and not as competitive as they were.????

Ned usually has 3 teams that is spread across the league usually Lumberton 2.  We always had tough game against them. 

I know once jr high gets here.  There is only 1 jr high in lumberton whereas Ned has 2 to pull talent from.  I see the difference by then.

What is it?  Many people have asked???

Is it the conditioning and the competiveness of our 2 schools coming together in hs and fighting for positions vs all of your players coming from the same jr high school to hs. 

This has always been puzzling.  Lumberton has the talent. 

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1225161" timestamp="1337726697"]
[quote author=basketball25 link=topic=97758.msg1209152#msg1209152 date=1334157468]
becasue those other kids get bigger, faster, and stronger!!! you gotta work hard to stay competitive maybe those youth kids don't work hard  to get better as they get older, maybe they just get satisfied and think ole we beat them in youth so we should beat them when we become a varsity player, thats not how it works!! you just can't work hard when its football season and during off-season, you gotta work hard year around!!but hey its always the coaches fault, these kids need to be accountable for something!!! but lets face it lumberton doesn't have a beard, hanna, hussey, and those oline guys when they were successful but those guys worked hard in the weight room and look what kind of success lumberton had!!!

hard during the summer to get better and look what kind of success lumberton had!!!
[/quote]

This has been the question for years in Ned, we ask how can Lumberton be so good in junior league fb and reach hs against us and not as competitive as they were.????

Ned usually has 3 teams that is spread across the league usually Lumberton 2.  We always had tough game against them. 

I know once jr high gets here.  There is only 1 jr high in lumberton whereas Ned has 2 to pull talent from.  I see the difference by then.

Is it the conditioning and the competiveness of our 2 schools coming together in hs and fighting for positions vs all of your players coming from the same jr high school to hs. 

[/quote]

I agree! Lumberton has talent. Developing kids in your feeder programs (i.e. middle schools) is the difference. Plus we lose alot of kids from STJFl, Middle School, to high school! Alot of talent walking the halls not playing sports! We really need to do a better job selling our program to the kids to keep them involved instead of losing them! JMO

[quote name="raider44" post="1225722" timestamp="1337894660"]
[quote author=thedogs1987 link=topic=97758.msg1225161#msg1225161 date=1337726697]
[quote author=basketball25 link=topic=97758.msg1209152#msg1209152 date=1334157468]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree! Lumberton has talent. Developing kids in your feeder programs (i.e. middle schools) is the difference. Plus we lose alot of kids from STJFl, Middle School, to high school! Alot of talent walking the halls not playing sports! We really need to do a better job selling our program to the kids to keep them involved instead of losing them! JMO
[/quote]
See that's kind of a paradox there. If your school has a great winning tradition aka ned png then you have more kids growing up dreaming of playing on the football team and more kids signing up to play but to get that winning tradition you have to get most of the kids to sign up so how do you get there. Trust me i know how you feel.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1225739" timestamp="1337903034"]
[quote author=raider44 link=topic=97758.msg1225722#msg1225722 date=1337894660]
[quote author=thedogs1987 link=topic=97758.msg1225161#msg1225161 date=1337726697]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
See that's kind of a paradox there. If your school has a great winning tradition aka ned png then you have more kids growing up dreaming of playing on the football team and more kids signing up to play but to get that winning tradition you have to get most of the kids to sign up so how do you get there. Trust me i know how you feel.
[/quote]
Yes, a winning tradition is part of the sale and makes it easier for the coaches. I remember when I was in the 7th grade @ Crockett we would pile up and go watch BCP practice. We all couldnt wait to be Cougars! That last year, BCP made the playoffs for the 1st time in I dont know how long, played in the Dome, and we were all there. Next year was the creation of Central. After practice Coach Kibbles, Coach Sweat, and my dad would load our 8th grade team up and we would go watch the Jaguars and dream of playing on Friday nights. Our coaches sold us on the program and we didnt have a tradition yet. We created our own tradition because we had coaches who showed us love and kept us in the "program"! Quiting was not an option! This is not the case in Lumberton. There is no selling of the "program!" My middle school coaches had the biggest impact on my life through sports and into Adult hood today. Thats what i expect for my son! Just hoping he looks back one day and has a coach that makes the impact that Coach Sweat and Coach Kibbles had on me. It all starts with your feeder programs.

[quote name="raider44" post="1225956" timestamp="1337962712"]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=97758.msg1225739#msg1225739 date=1337903034]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Yes, a winning tradition is part of the sale and makes it easier for the coaches. I remember when I was in the 7th grade @ Crockett we would pile up and go watch BCP practice. We all couldnt wait to be Cougars! That last year, BCP made the playoffs for the 1st time in I dont know how long, played in the Dome, and we were all there. Next year was the creation of Central. After practice Coach Kibbles, Coach Sweat, and my dad would load our 8th grade team up and we would go watch the Jaguars and dream of playing on Friday nights. Our coaches sold us on the program and we didnt have a tradition yet. We created our own tradition because we had coaches who showed us love and kept us in the "program"! Quiting was not an option! This is not the case in Lumberton. There is no selling of the "program!" My middle school coaches had the biggest impact on my life through sports and into Adult hood today. Thats what i expect for my son! Just hoping he looks back one day and has a coach that makes the impact that Coach Sweat and Coach Kibbles had on me. It all starts with your feeder programs.
[/quote]
Very good point.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1226288" timestamp="1338066872"]
[quote author=raider44 link=topic=97758.msg1225956#msg1225956 date=1337962712]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=97758.msg1225739#msg1225739 date=1337903034]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Very good point.
[/quote]
you know, i've been thinking about this. there are alot of potential stars that never play after junior high.the coaches leave a bad taste for the kids. my son, quit in the middle of the season during the 8th grade. i backed his descision based on how the coach was conducting himself. but here is the difference. as a parent, i supported and agreed with his discision(especially after talking with the coach)but told him, no imbedded in his head, that highschool would be different and to not let one bad expirience ruin what you love to do. even after this particular jrhigh coach tried to get the highschool coaches to not let him play, he went on to be a very good freshmen player and lettered as a sophmore this past season. maybe the prob from Lumberton lies somewhere closer to home. Alot of parents these days don't encourage their kids enough. I supported my kids descision to quit,(something i never thought i would do)but talked him right back into it and encouraged and preached it. I PROMISE YOU WILL BE HEARING HIS NAME MANY TIMES ON FRIDAY NIGHT FOR THE NEXT TWO SEASONS.

High School football (or any other high school sport or activity) is not like a professional sport in that they can hire the players according to their strengths and make them fit their particular plan of attack.  In high school sports, one must work with the players who show up wanting to be a part of the team.  Types of offense, defense and every other part of the game are based on those players.  A coach can't decide to run X type of offense, just for grins and giggles.  He has zero chance of success that way.  Just because Lumberton has been struggling doesn't mean Credeur is a poor coach making poor decisions.

Lumberton has mostly struggled, history being what it is.  I think a huge part of the answer is the lack of tradition building in Lumberton.  At PNG, indoctrination into the tribe begins early.  Kindergartners don't change their color when they've talked in class.  They move their feather!  We have no traditions in Lumberton. 

Honestly, having kids in high school now, I can tell you that part of the problem is that the school has become too rigid in what is allowed and what isn't.  School in Lumberton has no fun, no joy.  There's no pride because it's not allowed to be celebrated.  The student body doesn't have the heart, because it was never given to them and is not encouraged in any way, shape or form. 

I couldn't wait to get my kids out of BISD when they were little and into Lumberton, but I have been highly disappointed.  Apathy in our schools runs rampant, both in the student body and in the faculty.  It's sad.

[quote name="Raider81" post="1227604" timestamp="1338487745"]
High School football (or any other high school sport or activity) is not like a professional sport in that they can hire the players according to their strengths and make them fit their particular plan of attack.  In high school sports, one must work with the players who show up wanting to be a part of the team.  Types of offense, defense and every other part of the game are based on those players.  A coach can't decide to run X type of offense, just for grins and giggles.  He has zero chance of success that way.  Just because Lumberton has been struggling doesn't mean Credeur is a poor coach making poor decisions.

Lumberton has mostly struggled, history being what it is.  I think a huge part of the answer is the lack of tradition building in Lumberton.  At PNG, indoctrination into the tribe begins early.  Kindergartners don't change their color when they've talked in class.  They move their feather!  We have no traditions in Lumberton. 

Honestly, having kids in high school now, I can tell you that part of the problem is that the school has become too rigid in what is allowed and what isn't.  School in Lumberton has no fun, no joy.  There's no pride because it's not allowed to be celebrated.  The student body doesn't have the heart, because it was never given to them and is not encouraged in any way, shape or form. 

I couldn't wait to get my kids out of BISD when they were little and into Lumberton, but I have been highly disappointed.  Apathy in our schools runs rampant, both in the student body and in the faculty.  It's sad.
[/quote]
Well said!!

[quote name="Raider81" post="1227604" timestamp="1338487745"]

[b]Honestly, having kids in high school now, I can tell you that part of the problem is that the school has become too rigid in what is allowed and what isn't.  School in Lumberton has no fun, no joy.  There's no pride because it's not allowed to be celebrated.  The student body doesn't have the heart, because it was never given to them and is not encouraged in any way, shape or form.  [/b] I couldn't wait to get my kids out of BISD when they were little and into Lumberton, but I have been highly disappointed.  Apathy in our schools runs rampant, both in the student body and in the faculty.  It's sad.
[/quote]

It is hard to reply to this comment because the poster has given no details regarding the highlighted comments above.  I would mainly agree that there needs to be traditions and that those traditions do have something to do with winning, but an even bigger part has to do with facilities. Lumberton will be getting a new field house and updated stands, etc. which is good for the program as a whole.  But even with the best facilities in the world and all the tradition of a Texas A&M or a UT, you have to have skilled players and good coaches...Lumberton had that winning combination just a few years ago WITH the current coach. So, what's missing??? You do the math...

Guest basketball2012
No husey,Hanna, or beard type players that's what's missing, those guys were good athletes and lived and died in the weight room!!

The problem in lumberton is NO PRIDE in the schools.  Some campuses will not allow the students to wear homecoming  mums!  The band marches on the the field in black...(bet you would not see  anyone from PNG step on the field in anything but their school colors!! ) middle school students are kicked out of athletics for getting too many tags (could be from tardies) and are not allowed to participate their freshman year.  really???? what happened to making them do GOLF?  I just wonder how many of these students will go down the wrong road now? take a look at their web sight ..... the only  sport to update their achievements was boys soccer; which i would assume was from  coach luttrell; which rumor has will be coaching at PNG. :'(  ....i could go on and on but my blood pressure is high...... so glad my kids are now out!  oh yeah.... what  happened to the lumberton baseball teams trophies and pictures that were in the case..... someone threw them out!  NOW that is SCHOOL PRIDE!!! PNG would have tar and feathered someone over that!

[quote name="dogpile" post="1229309" timestamp="1339124626"]
The problem in lumberton is NO PRIDE in the schools.  Some campuses will not allow the students to wear homecoming  mums!  The band marches on the the field in black...(bet you would not see  anyone from PNG step on the field in anything but their school colors!! ) middle school students are kicked out of athletics for getting too many tags (could be from tardies) and are not allowed to participate their freshman year.  really???? what happened to making them do GOLF?  I just wonder how many of these students will go down the wrong road now? take a look at their web sight ..... the only  sport to update their achievements was boys soccer; which i would assume was from  coach luttrell; which rumor has will be coaching at PNG. :'(  ....i could go on and on but my blood pressure is high...... so glad my kids are now out!  oh yeah.... what  happened to the lumberton baseball teams trophies and pictures that were in the case..... someone threw them out!  NOW that is SCHOOL PRIDE!!! PNG would have tar and feathered someone over that!
[/quote]
+1 for you
We just lost 5 quality athletes to Legacy, Kelly, and HJ and 1 or maybe 2 of our best coaches (Babin and possibly Luttrell). Go figure! Don't just blame the coaches. It ain't all them. Parents are to blame too! Too much of a sense of entitlement. Players aren't entitled to anything unless they earn it, and if they don't, here comes the parents!! Creduer's a good man and coach, but it takes more! School board, Admin, parents, teachers, kids, and community. We are not on the same page!

[quote name="basketball2012" post="1229096" timestamp="1339035811"]
No husey,Hanna, or beard type players that's what's missing, those guys were good athletes and lived and died in the weight room!!
[/quote]

most of the upcoming 10th grade group in lumberton has this mentality. gonna be a good group to watch in the next couple years

Red and Blue, i do agree with you there.  I think that group (last season freshmen),  could be comparable to our playoff run teams. They have a good work ethic and all have great attitudes.  What is even better about that group is the parents. They are supportive, but not overbearing and not demanding "entitlements" as Raider 44 mentioned.  In my opinion, if the kids that are leaving because they or their parents arent getting what they think their kid should be getting, then let them go!..The primary key to this is that football is a "team" sport.  Not every kid on that field is gonna be a shining star, but each has an important role to play. If each kid on the field does his job, then the ENTIRE  team will stand out, not just one or two. As far as numbers go, i would rather have 11 kids playing that believe in the team aspect, playing their hearts out, rather than 45 out their worried about their personal stats and if they have on "cool equipment" so they look good in a photograph!

As far as some coaches leaving, well thats gonna happen. I dont believe its because of the kids, the coaches just want to advance like anybody else, you cant blame them.  Raiderland things will get better. Every program has peaks and valleys. We've experienced some winning, and we are hungry for more, i get that. But understand that due to our enrollment, and the number of kids that put out the commitment to get back to winning, we will have some rebuilding years. We shouldnt be dogging the kids we have out there, lets get behind them, support them, and lets get POSITIVE again about Raider Football.

Ok...i will hop off my soapbox now...have a good one everybody.

[quote name="dogpile" post="1229309" timestamp="1339124626"]
[/quote]

Sounds like you need to go back to PN-G!  Look, if the fact that the band marches in black is causing the Raider football team to lose games, then there is a helluva a lot more wrong with the program than anyone can EVER fix!  The fact of the matter is this:

1. Lumberton is at the bottom in the state enrollment for 4-A schools  (less players to choose from)
2. Hammerheads who are clueless calling for the coach's termination at every corner
3. Although Lumberton has SOME talent, they need a stronger core...like with the playoff teams from a few short years ago
4. A winning tradition backed by the community

With all due respect (which is very little from the content of your mindless post), If a 3rd grader can't wear a homecoming mum, nobody in their right mind would associate that with W's and L's for the Raider football team.  The program needs a level of talent not offered with current enrollment; it needs support from the school district to fund the program and it needs support from the community who will stand behind the program...not complain about inconsequential sport updates on a website that almost noone visits anyway.

Man...that feels better!  Keep the faith Coach Credeur...some people in this community still have a clue.

....never have been from png and the bands colors has nothing to do with w & l's .... its called school spirit whether they are winning or losing and being a true fan.  I also do not and never have put the blame on the AD like most of lumberton.  I tell everyone that complains that  you cant do anything without a line!  as far as the mums .... they should be promoting school spirit so the kids will be proud of their school and want to play for it wether they are winning or losing.....I do and always have bled columbia blue -  just really getting tired of the lack of school pride!

[quote name="dogpile" post="1230122" timestamp="1339522349"]
....never have been from png and the bands colors has nothing to do with w & l's .... its called school spirit whether they are winning or losing and being a true fan.  I also do not and never have put the blame on the AD like most of lumberton.  I tell everyone that complains that  you cant do anything without a line!  as far as the mums .... they should be promoting school spirit so the kids will be proud of their school and want to play for it wether they are winning or losing.....I do and always have bled columbia blue -  just really getting tired of the lack of school pride!
[/quote]

I can appreciate your feelings about the school pride, and I probably came off a little too hard in reply to your previous post; however, the topic at hand was the request for the coach's removal greatly due to the offense that he has chosen to run with the personnel he has to work with and also why Lumberton can't seem to win...School pride may be part of the issue, but it does not overshadow the main problems, in my opinion.

[quote name="SmashMouth" post="1229865" timestamp="1339430843"]
[quote author=dogpile link=topic=97758.msg1229309#msg1229309 date=1339124626]
[/quote]

Sounds like you need to go back to PN-G!  Look, if the fact that the band marches in black is causing the Raider football team to lose games, then there is a helluva a lot more wrong with the program than anyone can EVER fix!  The fact of the matter is this:

1. Lumberton is at the bottom in the state enrollment for 4-A schools  (less players to choose from)
2. Hammerheads who are clueless calling for the coach's termination at every corner
3. Although Lumberton has SOME talent, they need a stronger core...like with the playoff teams from a few short years ago

With all due respect (which is very little from the content of your mindless post), If a 3rd grader can't wear a homecoming mum, nobody in their right mind would associate that with W's and L's for the Raider football team.  The program needs a level of talent not offered with current enrollment; it needs support from the school district to fund the program and it needs support from the community who will stand behind the program...not complain about inconsequential sport updates on a website that almost noone visits anyway.

Man...that feels better!  Keep the faith Coach Credeur...some people in this community still have a clue.
[/quote]
Just so you guys know, the Band Uniform slacks are Royal Blue (very dark) while the tops are mainly Columbian Blue. The royal blue started in a time when several different groups started changing their uniform colors, I always figured it was an attempt to get the school to change colors, even the football team slipped in some different colors. Thank God for the Raiderettes who remained true to our school colors. Now mote and more of the groups have gone back to the right colors on their uniforms. Hopefully the band will soon find a color mix that looks good and emphasizes our complete array of school colors. Lumberton has some good traditions, i.e. the Raiderettes, we just seem to have trouble transferring those loyalties and traditions to other activities, that's what I've always wished would change in our town. We have league leading soccer teams, cheerleaders, Raiderettes, a top notch band program and many other areas our kids excel at, we as fans need to just keep supporting the kids as a whole and not pick and choose. I don't have any dogs in the hunt here as my daughter went to school in California and north Texas but as an alumni I always make most of the football games and support all the kids participating, I try to make several soccer games, and basketball games, boys and girls. I also make an occasional marching contest, not every year mind you but I've been to several. To me this is what being a parent, relative or alumni is all about and Lumberton needs a whole lot more of this.

[quote name="raideroldtimer" post="1230885" timestamp="1339868748"]
[quote author=SmashMouth link=topic=97758.msg1229865#msg1229865 date=1339430843]
[quote author=dogpile link=topic=97758.msg1229309#msg1229309 date=1339124626]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Just so you guys know, the Band Uniform slacks are Royal Blue (very dark) while the tops are mainly Columbian Blue. The royal blue started in a time when several different groups started changing their uniform colors, I always figured it was an attempt to get the school to change colors, even the football team slipped in some different colors. Thank God for the Raiderettes who remained true to our school colors. Now mote and more of the groups have gone back to the right colors on their uniforms. Hopefully the band will soon find a color mix that looks good and emphasizes our complete array of school colors. Lumberton has some good traditions, i.e. the Raiderettes, we just seem to have trouble transferring those loyalties and traditions to other activities, that's what I've always wished would change in our town. We have league leading soccer teams, cheerleaders, Raiderettes, a top notch band program and many other areas our kids excel at, we as fans need to just keep supporting the kids as a whole and not pick and choose. I don't have any dogs in the hunt here as my daughter went to school in California and north Texas but as an alumni I always make most of the football games and support all the kids participating, I try to make several soccer games, and basketball games, boys and girls. I also make an occasional marching contest, not every year mind you but I've been to several. To me this is what being a parent, relative or alumni is all about and Lumberton needs a whole lot more of this.
[/quote]

Great post!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder