Beaumont Ozen vs. Barbers Hill Game Thread/BH wins 66-39!!

WOSgrad

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Tebowing" post="1185808" timestamp="1330205223"]
Ozen playera and coaches didnt respect B.H, that's what happened. Ozen is 20 points better then B.H. Kinda like when Tarver knocked out undefeated Roy  Jones.
[/quote]

I don't know how you can say that Ozen is 20 points better than BH ??? I heard the same scouting report about Ozen (That BH was 20 points better) Only difference is that BH did win by 20 +. Ozen was out matched and out played today nothing less nothing more

So incredibly proud of these young ladies.  It was truly a TEAM win with so many great contributions.  All the respect in the world for the Ozen players (Nekia Jones is just a BEAST with a ton of heart), but I saw BH do to Ozen what Ozen did to Manvel yesterday...completely rattle them to the point of giving up.  Ozen's press was completely ineffective...and to those that have been frustrated with BH NOT pressing all year (or in this game)...I will say it for the last time...we don't press, we BEAT press and Ozen failed to scout or respect that.  Congats to Kit Martin for making these girls believe in the system and themselves and getting them up to play after shaky performance last night.  I also believe that BH's brutal pre-district and tournament schedule better prepared them for the big spotlight.....AUSTIN baby...time to represent!!

I know the rules, but also know the Baytown Sun and Todd Hveem won't mind this one!!

By TODD HVEEM [email protected] Baytown Sun | 0 comments

HOUSTON – The Barbers Hill Lady Eagles picked the best time to play their best game of the year.

MaKenzi May scored 25 points, Shannon Evans added 11 points and six assists and Kendall Shaw had 15 rebounds and seven blocked shots to lead the Lady Eagles to a thrilling 66-39 victory over previously undefeated Beaumont Ozen in the Region III-4A championship game Saturday afternoon at the Campbell Center.

It was Ozen’s first loss of the year. The team that had been ranked No. 1 in the state the entire season finished 34-1.

Barbers Hill, which lost to Ozen twice a year ago (in the Barbers Hill Classic and the third round of the playoffs), will carry a 38-3 record into Thursday’s state semifinal game in Austin.

“Barbers Hill is known for great girls’ basketball,’’ said an emotional head coach Kit Martin after the game. “We have two girls on our team (May and Evans) whose moms went to state (as members of Barbers Hill) in 1982. It has been such a huge dream for these kids. They have had to hear about all the stories in the past. Now, they can tell their own story.’’

It really doesn’t matter if Evans ever scores one point. She is simply fantastic to watch. And she is one of the main reasons the Lady Eagles are going to the Class 4A girls’ state tournament for the first time. Barbers Hill was a Class 3A school in its other state-tournament trips.

Evans, who had one of the worst games of her four-year high school career in Friday’s 43-36 Region III-4A semifinal win over Clear Falls, was diving on the floor, wrestling for loose balls, spotting up for 3-pointers, making no-look passes and dribbling through Ozen’s zone and man presses. On one play, she dived head first into the media press table after a loose ball.

“The last game was definitely not my favorite,’’ admitted Evans. “I came out today really looking to get other people shots while trying to stay a part of the offense.

“Mack (May) and I and all the guards were out here really working hard on our shots before the game,’’ Evans added. “I think it paid off.’’

Barbers Hill was 0-for-10 from beyond the 3-point arc in the win over Clear Falls. But what a difference a day makes.

May, who had five 3-pointers in Barbers Hill’s 80-39 win over Lumberton in the first round of the playoffs, hit five more against Ozen. She also hit left-handed layups, short jump shots and drives to the basket. She simply couldn’t miss.

May hit a pair of triples in the first period as the Lady Eagles rallied from a 5-0 deficit to grab a 6-5 lead.

Shaw, who was being harassed all game, followed with a bucket in the blocks and May added two free throws at the end of the stanza as the Lady Eagles, who have not lost to a Class 4A team this year, carried a 13-10 lead into the second period.

Evans quickly upped the lead to 20-15 with a 3-pointer and a short jumper, and Kayla Kana got into the act with a bucket and some rough and tumble play inside the paint as Barbers Hill upped the lead to 23-17.

Ozen junior Nekia Jones, who has unbelievable ball skills for a post player, cut the lead to 25-21, but Shaw rebounded Evans’ missed 3-pointer and laid it in at the buzzer to give the Lady Eagles a 27-21 halftime lead.

Asia Booker, who is being recruited by a number of Division I schools, tried her best to keep Ozen close with floating drives to the basket and free-throw line jumpers. She wound up with 10 points.

Barbers Hill freshman Kimi Carter, who is going to be fabulous by the end of her career, scored a couple of late hoops as the Lady Eagles increased their lead to 43-31 after three quarters of play.

Jones, who was a force all day, hit eight straight points in the quarter, but each time she scored, Barbers Hill would have an answer. She finished with 15 points.

Kana, who finished with eight points and battled for loose balls all day, had the unenviable task of guarding Jones the entire game. In fact, a big key came when she took a charge from Jones in the first quarter to give the all-state player her second foul of the game.

“I think Kaylee Kana was our MVP today,’’ Martin said.

Here is a link to a few game photos by the Chronicle's Bob Levy.  Bob is one of the Houston area's best pro photographers.

[url=http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/gallery/HS-girls-basketball-playoffs-39791/photo-2547846.php]http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/gallery/HS-girls-basketball-playoffs-39791/photo-2547846.php[/url]

congrats to BH on a monster win!  coming in with a 37-3 record, i highly doubt that Ozen overlooked them.  they just ran into one of the few teams in the state that's good enough to beat them, and BH clicked on all cylinders while Ozen played poorly.  Hopefully BH can keep it going and bring a championship home to SETX.

[quote name="Silsbeealum14" post="1185789" timestamp="1330203477"]
1-13 behind the 3, Wow Ozen just looked like they wasn't into it from the Tip..... Great season Ozen, Good luck BH
[/quote]
Kinda like Brookshire Royal shooting 0-15 Friday night in the Boys game against your Silsbee Tigers. Not going to win many playoff games shooting like that.
Great season Ozen girls.

Good look at State Barber's Hill!! Bring home the hardware!

[quote name="bh146" post="1186042" timestamp="1330262673"]
Here is a link to a few game photos by the Chronicle's Bob Levy.  Bob is one of the Houston area's best pro photographers.

[url=http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/gallery/HS-girls-basketball-playoffs-39791/photo-2547846.php]http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/gallery/HS-girls-basketball-playoffs-39791/photo-2547846.php[/url]

[/quote]
Saw the BH girls holding the dry erase boards saying "bye bye Ozen"....CLASSLESS....I hope they go to Austin and get BLASTED, so I can watch those same girls cry afterwards! THATS HORRIBLE! >:( >:(...I am SHOCKED that no one else has said anything about this classless act on here.....AWFUL SPORTSMANSHIP...I really hope that get blown out Thursday...

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1186495" timestamp="1330319511"]
[quote author=bh146 link=topic=96667.msg1186042#msg1186042 date=1330262673]

[/quote]
Saw the BH girls holding the dry erase boards saying "bye bye Ozen"....CLASSLESS....I hope they go to Austin and get BLASTED, so I can watch those same girls cry afterwards! THATS HORRIBLE! >:( >:(...I am SHOCKED that no one else has said anything about this classless act on here.....AWFUL SPORTSMANSHIP...I really hope that get blown out Thursday...
[/quote]

OMG really!!!! ::) ::) ::)

Every school has their idiots, but come on DV!!!  This post is as bad as what you think that the BH girls did or what so many of the kids these days do. 

I have seen just as bad of sportsmanship several times this year, and you have always been there to support them, by saying that they are just kids.

Or is it that it is the ALMIGHTY Ozen, and that really pisses you off?

I feel bad for those Ozen girls, and especially one of their coaches.  Ramona Jones........former HJ player.  Total class act!!!

But give it a rest DV, just give it a rest!!!

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1186495" timestamp="1330319511"]
[quote author=bh146 link=topic=96667.msg1186042#msg1186042 date=1330262673]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[b][i][u][size=24pt]CLASSLESS[/size][/u][/i][/b]

So was it classless for the Ozen players to be talking trash to some of the BH fans the night before during the game against Clear Falls? Talking about how BH was next? Maybe but obviously not very smart. Or is it classless to walk off the court before the winning team is announced after the game? I think that's more classless myself but would have never mentioned it before you 2 idiots spoke up. Teenagers don't always make good decisions but you can't always control what they do. Don't get on here bashing the BH girls when you don't know them and you obviously don't pay attention to what your own girls are doing. It amazes me that people will turn their heads to what their own kids are doing but bash someone else for doing something similar. I don't like any of the trash talking myself but if your gonna talk it you better expect a little in return!

I saw the pick too of the BH girls holding up the signs and couldn't beleive it. I'm sure they will catch some flack for that from thier coach. Not that this excusses the BH girls actions, but I heard that Ozen wasn't an angel on the court either! Whatever the case the signs should have never been drawn up and displayed by a player.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder