Sometimes UIL Doesn't Quite get it right.

[quote name="badndn" post="1170748" timestamp="1328214686"]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=95319.msg1170697#msg1170697 date=1328212628]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=95319.msg1170562#msg1170562 date=1328208946]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=95319.msg1170549#msg1170549 date=1328208483]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=95319.msg1170436#msg1170436 date=1328203914]
Livingston!
Got hosed again. I hate traveling to Livingston a couple times a year, so I can only imagine what those folks over there feel like having to do it every week! Just flat sux!
[/quote]

I would think they play the same amount of home games as everyone else.
[/quote]

Livingston has to travel more than all the other 20-4A teams put together. In the two year span, they have to make 7 trips to the Triangle in football, 14 in volleyball, basketball, baseball and softball. Whereas the other 20-4A schools only make 1 trip in football, 2 in the other four sports.

Livingston gets hosed in this deal, not the other 20-4A schools.
[/quote]

I agree that they get hosed on travel.  I was just stuck on the "every week" statement by badndn.
[/quote]
Don't forget this goes way beyond football! So yes in all other sports where they play twice a week, Livingston must visit the GT once a week.
[/quote]

And here I am complaining about driving to Livingston Tuesday.....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1170422" timestamp="1328203388"]
[quote author=joebob link=topic=95319.msg1170409#msg1170409 date=1328202907]
How about the two baytown schools losing BH , Dayton and Crosby to travel to galveston, pearland, friendswood, texas city and santa fe.  Talk about some late night travels!  All three baytown schools are getting hosed. Sterling was about 200 kids shy of moving to 4a while lee had room for 500-600 more kids while staying 4a. Doesnt make sense.
[/quote]

REL was the southern most school in the current 19-4A alignment. The UIL looked to replace Manvel and there was REL as the "best" fit geographicaly. GCM must go where REL goes.

In two years the only thing that would change that is if GCM has 5A numbers (or possibly RSS has 4A numbers. Not happening). The UIL has said you cannot have 3 classifications in a school district. SO, even if REL drops to 3A numbers, GCM must have some growth or RSS must drop in enrollment. If not, REL will have to play 4A with 3A numbers.
[/quote]

I noticed that Houston ISD has schools in 5A, 4A and 3A.  I was surprised to see that.

[quote name="GoPirates" post="1170950" timestamp="1328228438"]
Go to mapquest and look at Deweyville and Anderson-Shiro  hmmm ? Makes sense to me  NOT!
[/quote]
I agree totally, in this time of budget cuts the District travel for Deweyville was already terrible now with the additional of Anderson-Shiro its down right obscene.

[quote name="SteelerCzy" post="1170981" timestamp="1328232787"]
[quote author=GoPirates link=topic=95319.msg1170950#msg1170950 date=1328228438]
Go to mapquest and look at Deweyville and Anderson-Shiro  hmmm ? Makes sense to me  NOT!
[/quote]
I agree totally, in this time of budget cuts the District travel for Deweyville was already terrible now with the additional of Anderson-Shiro its down right obscene.
[/quote]I don't think Anderson-Shiro plays football.  I know they have a basketball team

[quote name="Eazy" post="1171000" timestamp="1328236546"]
[quote author=SteelerCzy link=topic=95319.msg1170981#msg1170981 date=1328232787]
[quote author=GoPirates link=topic=95319.msg1170950#msg1170950 date=1328228438]
[/quote]
[/quote]I don't think Anderson-Shiro plays football.  I know they have a basketball team
[/quote]
Just looked at their school website and they have football.

Just be happy your not Kelly

Houston Christian - 2 hours 15 minutes approx. with traffic - will be leaving district after this year.
St Thomas- 1 hour 40 minutes
St pius - 1 hour 55 minutes
Tomball Concordia Lutheran - they will be in our district next year so I haven't made the drive but according to google maps it is around a 2 hour 40 minute drive.

Deweyville's closest district game is Hemphill at over 2hrs. The longest being Anderson-Shiro at about 3hrs and 15 minutes. No body else in SE Texas can come close to those travel times in district. If we have to go to Anderson-Shiro on a thursday night, what time do you think we will get back to school? How 'bout a Friday game? 3am? I know the UIL could've found a district closer to Navasota to put them in. They didn't do us any favors in basketbal either. Corrigan-Camdem is in our basketball district at about 2 and a half hours. I'm just sayin'.

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1171119" timestamp="1328278971"]
Deweyville's closest district game is Hemphill at over 2hrs. The longest being Anderson-Shiro at about 3hrs and 15 minutes. No body else in SE Texas can come close to those travel times in district. If we have to go to Anderson-Shiro on a thursday night, what time do you think we will get back to school? How 'bout a Friday game? 3am? I know the UIL could've found a district closer to Navasota to put them in. They didn't do us any favors in basketbal either. Corrigan-Camdem is in our basketball district at about 2 and a half hours. I'm just sayin'.
[/quote]
Really hard to explain the UIL's decision this year with this District. smh

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1170422" timestamp="1328203388"]
How about the two baytown schools losing BH , Dayton and Crosby to travel to galveston, pearland, friendswood, texas city and santa fe.  Talk about some late night travels!  All three baytown schools are getting hosed. Sterling was about 200 kids shy of moving to 4a while lee had room for 500-600 more kids while staying 4a. Doesnt make sense.
[/quote]

REL was the southern most school in the current 19-4A alignment. The UIL looked to replace Manvel and there was REL as the "best" fit geographicaly. GCM must go where REL goes.

In two years the only thing that would change that is if GCM has 5A numbers (or possibly RSS has 4A numbers. Not happening). [b][u]The UIL has said you cannot have 3 classifications in a school district[/u][/b]. SO, even if REL drops to 3A numbers, GCM must have some growth or RSS must drop in enrollment. If not, REL will have to play 4A with 3A numbers.
[/quote]

Doesn't HISD have 5A, 4A and now 3A schools?

[quote name="hjhawks" post="1171208" timestamp="1328285629"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=95319.msg1170422#msg1170422 date=1328203388]
[/quote]

In two years the only thing that would change that is if GCM has 5A numbers (or possibly RSS has 4A numbers. Not happening). [b][u]The UIL has said you cannot have 3 classifications in a school district[/u][/b]. SO, even if REL drops to 3A numbers, GCM must have some growth or RSS must drop in enrollment. If not, REL will have to play 4A with 3A numbers.
[/quote]

[/quote]

They will in 2012.

[quote name="hjhawks" post="1171208" timestamp="1328285629"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=95319.msg1170422#msg1170422 date=1328203388]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Yes, reality will soon hit some of you 3-A basketball.

I know the UIL allows you to play up in classification.  What about instituting a buffer of maybe 5 or 10 students that allows you to play down?  It seems like its a hard number and in Deweyville's case they got hosed because they had 2 extra kids. 

Does 2 kids make that it worth all of the money they will spend and time these kids have to be away from the classroom?!?  School is still supposed to be about education first, right?

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1171323" timestamp="1328293741"]
I know the UIL allows you to play up in classification.  What about instituting a buffer of maybe 5 or 10 students that allows you to play down?  It seems like its a hard number and in Deweyville's case they got hosed because they had 2 extra kids. 

Does 2 kids make that it worth all of the money they will spend and time these kids have to be away from the classroom?!?  School is still supposed to be about education first, right?
[/quote]
Amen PhatMack, I totally agree.

[quote name="SteelerCzy" post="1171449" timestamp="1328303718"]
[quote author=PhatMack19 link=topic=95319.msg1171323#msg1171323 date=1328293741]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I don't know that the UIL allows opting up in Divisions within classifications.

UIL & logic never go hand in hand and if these things ever make any sense then we should worry.  Now we know what a lot of the West Texas schools have been doing for years when it comes to long drives.  If you look at Anthony, their shortest trip is about an hour and their longest is about a 4.5 hour drive to Presidio, then they get a couple of short trips of only 3.5 & 4 hours respectfully.  Maybe someone on the committee is from West Texas and just wanted others to feel their pain.

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1171323" timestamp="1328293741"]

[/quote]

A 20 student buffer either way would help to clean up some of the mess.

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1171474" timestamp="1328305890"]
[quote author=PhatMack19 link=topic=95319.msg1171323#msg1171323 date=1328293741]

[/quote]

A 20 student buffer either way would help to clean up some of the mess.
[/quote]

And what happens to a team right below that buffer?  There is always gonna have to a hard number that separates the classes.  And there will always be someone who is the smallest in a class. It just happens!

Do you want to get to the root of the problems of those like those that face Deweyville and Sabine Pass? Then look at this Division I/Division II crap that was implemented during the 2010 realignment for 2A and 1A.  Anyone could see that this was going to stretch travel budgets and downright bust others, but look to your respective supers because they are the ones that approved it.

UIL needs to get rid of the Div. I and II in 2A and 1A. Just go back to how it was before which would create districts with much closer proximity schools.

I mean explain this:

Laneville, a 1A-DII school, is about 35 miles north of Nacadoches. Laneville in this realignment is placed with it's other district opponents in Region IV. REGION IV!!!!!! You know, the region down in the valley, Corpus area, Brownsville. What a joke!!

[quote name="SteelerCzy" post="1171449" timestamp="1328303718"]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I know that people will say that athletes make the choice to play sports so they have to deal with what academics throws at them too BUT certainly kids can't be expected to do homework and study for test on nights they will be out so late!!!! Anyone have any idea how this will be handled?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86