Police, UIL say discipline is up to schools after Ozen/LaMarque brawl

They should have suspended La Marque from its next round game or if ozen advanced then ozen should have been suspended

I have seen a t shirt end playoff runs why not a fight that a police department had to break up.  also i would not let ozen or la marque play at my stadium again

And just to be fair to the Galveston County Daily News, the tweeter is not a reporter for that paper or any media outlet in the Houston area but is rather a freelance guy who just likes to flap his gap.

He was a FORMER sports editor for the Galveston County Daily News until about a year ago when he was abruptly dismissed.  His activity on this issue might give some insight as to why that dismissal took place.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1134343" timestamp="1322580159"]
And just to be fair to the Galveston County Daily News, the tweeter is not a reporter for that paper or any media outlet in the Houston area but is rather a freelance guy who just likes to flap his gap.

He was a FORMER sports editor for the Galveston County Daily News until about a year ago when he was abruptly dismissed.  His activity on this issue might give some insight as to why that dismissal took place.
[/quote]

Correct!! He tweeted a bunch of falsehoods about this case and is trying to come off as some important reporter/blogger. He tweeted nothing but bogus remarks, no facts at all!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1134346" timestamp="1322580360"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=92384.msg1134343#msg1134343 date=1322580159]

[/quote]

Correct!! He tweeted a bunch of falsehoods about this case and is trying to come off as some important reporter/blogger. He tweeted nothing but bogus remarks, no facts at all!
[/quote]
He definitely has a future as a political correspondent. 
Just like this guy, I believe that there are also lots of posters on here that will mislead us on the facts, and lots of readers that buy into them.  I love it when I read a statement from a poster that later says he was not there.  Hello credibility. 

Both teams participated, and the real class acts will eventually show up, when the schools deal with them.  Failure to deal with this on both teams will repeat itself. 

I can't say what will happen in regards to Ozen's self dicipline (I am hopeful that they will properly address the situation), but I am confident that based on how many years LM has brought the "in your face, taunting attitude", if anything they will reward their players for their actions.  It will not stop at LM until they are punished severely from the outside.

The UIL is a coward in this situation.  The excuse that it happened after the final horn sounded but the kids were still on the field reeks of a yellow spine!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1134383" timestamp="1322582152"]
The UIL is a coward in this situation.  The excuse that it happened after the final horn sounded but the kids were still on the field reeks of a yellow spine!
[/quote]

I am not a big fan of the UIL, either and like you, I have a measure of frustration that there is no involvement on what could have been a life threatening issue for folks on both sides.  However, I can't really can't really be too critical in this case.  The fact is plain and simple, the UIL does not have any rules on the books with regard to post game fighting.  Believe me, I looked.  They have rules regarding in game fighting.  They even have rules about fighting at halftime.  But there is absolutely NOTHING with regard to sanctions for post game fighting.  So for the UIL to have acted, would have involved very creative interpretations of the UIL Constitution which would have probably opened themselves up to a different sort of criticism.

Coach Jackson is reputed to be someone who is willing to sanction his own players, we'll just have to see if he lives up to that reputation.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1134383" timestamp="1322582152"]
I can't say what will happen in regards to Ozen's self dicipline (I am hopeful that they will properly address the situation), but I am confident that based on how many years LM has brought the "in your face, taunting attitude", if anything they will reward their players for their actions.  It will not stop at LM until they are punished severely from the outside.

[/quote]

Ozen's situation is being handled.  Trust me!!! 

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1134397" timestamp="1322583193"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=92384.msg1134383#msg1134383 date=1322582152]
[/quote]

I am not a big fan of the UIL, either and like you, I have a measure of frustration that there is no involvement on what could have been a life threatening issue for folks on both sides.  However, I can't really can't really be too critical in this case.  The fact is plain and simple, the UIL does not have any rules on the books with regard to post game fighting.  Believe me, I looked.  They have rules regarding in game fighting.  They even have rules about fighting at halftime.  But there is absolutely NOTHING with regard to sanctions for post game fighting.  So for the UIL to have acted, would have involved very creative interpretations of the UIL Constitution which would have probably opened themselves up to a different sort of criticism.

Coach Jackson is reputed to be someone who is willing to sanction his own players, we'll just have to see if he lives up to that reputation.
[/quote]

I would think that as long as the teams are on the field of competition and in uniform, the UIL should take sanction responsibility.  Their own rules protect them from getting involved in this situation.  I say they need to change the rules.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1134507" timestamp="1322590133"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=92384.msg1134397#msg1134397 date=1322583193]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=92384.msg1134383#msg1134383 date=1322582152]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would think that as long as the teams are on the field of competition and in uniform, the UIL should take sanction responsibility.  Their own rules protect them from getting involved in this situation.  I say they need to change the rules.
[/quote]

I agree with all of that and I suspect that when we start the school year this time next year, rules will address such a situation.  Well, then again we are talking about the UIL.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1134507" timestamp="1322590133"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=92384.msg1134397#msg1134397 date=1322583193]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name="Crowdpleaser84" post="1134435" timestamp="1322586184"]

[/quote]

Ozen's situation is being handled.  Trust me!!!
[/quote]
whats gonna happen

When students get into fights at school, they get suspended or the Box as we call it here(ISS). The UIL is not taking responsibility for this.. because it was after the game.(Which I think is a load of poopoo). The kids are STILL at a school function. They should be suspended or get ISS IMMEDIATELY. You can't play by the school rules then you can't play at all. >:(  And another thing WHY did these coaches from both teams allow the already heated, testosterone over flowing teenagers, to walk the field and shake hands? You can't tell me they(the coaches) didn't know that these boys were still heated from the earlier altercation. 

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1134521" timestamp="1322591190"]
David Henry and Jared Ainsworth at the Enterprise tackled this question:

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Take-2-Should-the-UIL-use-disciplinary-action-on-2302937.php
[/quote]
what's the reasoning behind penalizing them 15 yrds at the beginning of their next game. what is that going to accomplish?

Last year,(or maybe the year before) in girls basketball an Ozen player punched a Central player after the game as they were shaking hands.  That girls was led off the court in handcuffs by police.  I believe the girl throwing the punch was suspended for the remainder of the season.  Just because this was a larger scale event doesn't mean it's too big to hand out punishments where they are due.

Questions for you lawyers.....If your son was a 15 year old sophomore and he was in this brawl with two 19 year old seniors...could you file criminal assault charges?  I'm sure there is video of the event.

Hypothetical situation above, but just trying to get a feel for is there a line where the sport stops and the law steps in.   

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1134397" timestamp="1322583193"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name="Slam14" post="1134784" timestamp="1322608227"]
Last year,(or maybe the year before) in girls basketball an Ozen player punched a Central player after the game as they were shaking hands.  That girls was led off the court in handcuffs by police.  I believe the girl throwing the punch was suspended for the remainder of the season.  Just because this was a larger scale event doesn't mean it's too big to hand out punishments where they are due.

Questions for you lawyers.....If your son was a 15 year old sophomore and he was in this brawl with two 19 year old seniors...could you file criminal assault charges?  I'm sure there is video of the event.

Hypothetical situation above, but just trying to get a feel for is there a line where the sport stops and the law steps in. 
[/quote]

That age doesn't mean anything besides regular assault. It would be called Injury to a child if the student was 14 years old or younger. The only thing you would have in this case would be assault, but most places would just make Disorderly Conduct fighting since both parties participated in the fight. I don't think you would get Harris County DA to file an assault charge on that. I don't know if the stadium is in Harris or Chambers County. Baytown is in both counties, but unsure what county the stadium is in. You could reach and try to get an Inciting a Riot charge on the instigators since there was more then 7 involved. It's a shame they couldn't have lined them up after breaking it up and write citations for fighting or just started locking folks up.

Now the UIL isn't going to do anything, and I doubt either school will do a whole lot. Baytown PD is probably just glad that both schools are gone from there and don't want to deal with figuring it all out.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder