OF's Jeff Bennett is new baseball coach at Kirbyville

[quote name="HSB&Rangers" post="1019881" timestamp="1308658797"]
What happened to coach Lane in KVille? Bennett and Lane are both good coaches, but have two totally different styles of coaching.
[/quote]
Kevin Lane went to Jasper to be Assistant Baseball Coach with longtime friend and former Coaches at Woodville together Shawn Mixon. It was time for a change for him good move for both coaches. Kirbyville will miss Lane in Football as well as Baseball. Wow what a staff the new Head coach at Jasper has assembled.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1020215" timestamp="1308764018"]
[quote author=bballgod link=topic=85107.msg1020213#msg1020213 date=1308762065]
Is this considered a step up or what (3A to 2A)?  Other circumstances leading to this?
[/quote]

Uh, both Orangefield and Kirbyville are 3A.
[/quote]

:D :D :D :D

Although it may seem that Trawhon would be the favorite to become the next head baseball coach, word is the bobcat community is stirring about former Orangefield baseball standout Brandon Morgan coming back to take the job. Morgan who has a successful record as a head baseball coach in the smaller schools and was the star of the bobcat baseball team in the late 90’s, could possibly be a candidate. Just rumors for now.

Morgan and I coached together a few years ago, kids loved him, parents loved him, and he is an excellent teacher and coach.  I saw him take over a baseball team that really didn’t understand basic fundamentals, and he ended up making them a winner. The guy is an outstanding football coach too…heck, his last coaching job was being a varsity football coach at West Brook, what a lots of folks feel is the pinnacle school for football. Like some coaches, he is well rounded and was able to pull off a plant job…he is some big shot now at one of those refineries, so the chance of him being interested are somewhat undetermined. But if any school has the chance to bring him out of coaching retirement, it may be his former alma mater…and I do know that when he was in the coaching profession, this job was on his wish list…of course, that was a couple of seasons ago…Either way, he is the finest human being I have ever worked with, and yes he will make Orangefield proud…

I remember him. He played without fear or hesitation. So aggressive and gritty. Got the name "Big Cat" because he was so quick and agile. He played the game with a flare that excited everyone around him including the fans that all came to their feet chanting his name every time this guy went to bat. This guy is still a legend in Orangefield. There is no doubt that he seems to overwhelmingly be a community favorite. I know it's still early in the process and others will apply but he seems to be the people's choice. There are lots that want to see him back in Orangefield colors.

[quote name="Half Indian/Wildcat" post="1020094" timestamp="1308713650"]
[quote author=HSB&Rangers link=topic=85107.msg1019881#msg1019881 date=1308658797]
What happened to coach Lane in KVille? Bennett and Lane are both good coaches, but have two totally different styles of coaching.
[/quote]

Kevin Lane went to Jasper to be Assistant Baseball Coach with longtime friend and former Coaches at Woodville together Shawn Mixon. It was time for a change for him good move for both coaches. Kirbyville will miss Lane in Football as well as Baseball. Wow what a staff the new Head coach at Jasper has assembled.
[/quote]

Who is Lane replacing in Jasper? They seemed set with coach Smith as the assistant Varsity coach and coach Trevinio handling the JV. Can't see him being the sophomore coach.

[quote name="TrueOrange1" post="1020263" timestamp="1308776432"]
Although it may seem that Trawhon would be the favorite to become the next head baseball coach, word is the bobcat community is stirring about former Orangefield baseball standout Brandon Morgan coming back to take the job. Morgan who has a successful record as a head baseball coach in the smaller schools and was the star of the bobcat baseball team in the late 90’s, could possibly be a candidate. Just rumors for now.
[/quote]

Not to take away from his coaching or that he was a good athlete, because he was a strong and quick athlete, but star of the late 90s bobcat baseball? He was there two years, I believed he was also with either newton or buna in high school; and Vito Agerton and Daniel Bourgeois were great players with Bourgeois being the district MVP the 2 years Brandon was there. From what I recall those two were the stars of the late 90s and the Bobcats had a great cast of Players.

I'm sure those other two were. I've been Orangefield my whole life and I've never heard of either one of those players. But I have heard numerous things about Morgan. From what I remember he was the 2000 Orange Leader MVP and ended up committing to San Jac before his dad fell ill. After asking around in the area today about other Orangefield candidates, this is still the guy that everyone is wanting. Like I said, I'm sure those other two were fantastic athletes but to hear from these old Orangefield people this guy is one of the best to have played in the area. As I said yesterday, I remember him being fantastic and would love to see him back in action.

How can you say that you have been at OF your whole life and not know who the Bourgeois' and Agerton's are...especially if you saw Morgan play???  And how can anyone with any experience in OF baseball say that they have never heard of these two?  There is no doubt that Morgan was a good player, but to say that he was the best in the area is an overstatement and untrue considering the company that was kept in the area had those years...Josey Kelly from LCM, Dan Fletcher from BC, Michael Thompson from WOS....should I go on??  And by the way...as a "true orange fan"...I was actually at those games, and I can tell you that there was no chanting for Morgan in the stands...I'm not saying that these two want the job, but I am saying that you should know the facts before you start spouting things off in a public forum...however, you do deserve an "A" in creative writing.

Being a coach in the area for several decades I have seen a lot and heard a lot. I remember Morgan as being one of the best area catchers. I also recall the Vito name and there are a couple of others that come to mind. I have coached alongside Morgan. His discipline and committment are unmatched. He has the heart of a champion and the fight of a warrior not to mention a brilliant mind to lead. I know these characteristics are also indicative of a great player. When news broke of Bennett's departure Morgan immediately came to mind in the coaching ranks but I know he's now doing industrial supervisory work. Orangefield would only be so lucky to have him back. Best of luck to whoever they do choose.

Best of luck to Bennett and Kirbyville.

I played at LCM the time of the three guys mentioned and all three were good players but what does being able to play have to do with being a great coach there are alot of guys who know how the game should be played that could not  physically do it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin