OF's Jeff Bennett is new baseball coach at Kirbyville

I heard the reason bennett was leaving was because he received a good offer at kirbyville, but because him and huckaby could not see eye-to-eye, huckaby would not let bennett get kids to practice throughout the season, huckaby fealt that football came first, and would not work with bennett, which is a good coach btw, and the reason we have trawhon is because of recomendation from huckaby, because he will do what he wants. I only hope that the baseball program in OF that Bennett built, and known to be excellent, has not been pushed to the side. As a side note, I do not personally know bennett, I have just been an observer for years, so do not think I am a follower.

[quote name="orangedad" post="1021234" timestamp="1309326169"]
[color=#151b8d]I heard the reason bennett was leaving was because he received a good offer at kirbyville, but because him and huckaby could not see eye-to-eye, huckaby would not let bennett get kids to practice throughout the season, huckaby fealt that football came first, and would not work with bennett, which is a good coach btw, and the reason we have trawhon is because of recomendation from huckaby, because he will do what he wants. I only hope that the baseball program in OF that Bennett built, and known to be excellent, has not been pushed to the side. As a side note, I do not personally know bennett, I have just been an observer for years, so do not think I am a follower.[/color][/quote]

I dont know about being a Bennett follower, but you are uniformed about the situation.  The rub between Bennett and Huckaby is not football vs baseball.  It was coaching philosophy.  Bennett is laid back, does not push the players hard in practice, and is more of a players coach.  Huckaby believes in disicipline and hard work-period, no exceptions, he is not interested in being friends with the kids just pushing them to excell.  The hand writing has been on the wall almost since the day Huckaby showed up
that Bennett would have to change or move on. The only people I have heard at Orangefield complaining about the baseball vs football deal are ones whose kids have had issues and been disciplined by Huckaby and did not play football.  Mine plays both and after watching both men coach, I think Bennett will be better off at Kirbyville(certainly happier) and also the baseball program at Orangefield will benefit from a more disciplined environment.  As far as Trawhan being recommended by Huckaby, who do you think normally recommends a new coach?  Its the AD's job to screen new coaches, why would he pick one he did not think would have the same coaching mentallity as he does?  

If Coach Huckaby is looking for a coach with discipline, then Coach Trawhon will be a great fit.  I don't know anything about Coach Bennett's philosophy but I can promise you that there will be discipline, expectations, and the players will be held accountable under Coach Trawhon. 

I heard the reason bennett was leaving was because he received a good offer at kirbyville, but because him and huckaby could not see eye-to-eye, huckaby would not let bennett get kids to practice throughout the season, huckaby fealt that football came first, and would not work with bennett, which is a good coach btw, and the reason we have trawhon is because of recomendation from huckaby, because he will do what he wants. [b]I only hope that the baseball program in OF that Bennett built, and known to be excellent, has not been pushed to the side[/b]. As a side note, I do not personally know bennett, I have just been an observer for years, so do not think I am a follower.
[/quote]
I've heard this a few times and laugh each time, do some really think that Bennet built the OF baseball program!!  I like Bennett and have nothing against him, but OF was successful in baseball long before he got there.  Plus Bennet had alot more talent than previous coaches at OF!!!  I hope he does well at Kirbyville, but I'm looking forward to what Trawhon has to bring to the program!!

I heard the reason bennett was leaving was because he received a good offer at kirbyville, but because him and huckaby could not see eye-to-eye, [b]huckaby would not let bennett get kids to practice throughout the season[/b], huckaby fealt that football came first, and would not work with bennett, which is a good coach btw, and the reason we have trawhon is because of recomendation from huckaby, because he will do what he wants. I only hope that the baseball program in OF that Bennett built, and known to be excellent, has not been pushed to the side. As a side note, I do not personally know bennett, I have just been an observer for years, so do not think I am a follower.
[/quote]i don't know firsthand about the innerworkings of the relationship between the two, but i know orangefield baseball participates in fall and summer baseball along with the regular season. athletes that play multiple sports may miss out on some of the fall scrimmages/summer games, but that is the way it goes at all schools.

I too laugh at the statements on here about how Bennett put Orangefield baseball on the map. Since the late 80's Orangefield has been pretty dang good in baseball with several playoff trips including a State Tournament appearance in 1990. The year before that Orangefield went 3 rounds deep and I know when Coach Stone was here they made several trips to the playoffs advancing to the 3rd round a couple of times I believe, so don't give me all that crap. If you call making the playoffs twice in five years a success then I guess that's what it is then, but to me if anything the program took a step back under Bennett. I know he took a team to the Regional Finals, but that team with 3 Division I players should have made it to Austin and should have won the whole thing. Way to much talent on that team not to win it all, and a better coach would have done that. That lineup was stacked from top to bottom and had great pitching. Say what you want but that team was a state championship team and they underachieved under Bennett. Plus this past year, there was still enough talent on that team to atleast make the playoffs and it didn't happen. So 2 out of 5 years, and I believe that's right, not to good if you ask me!!!

I will give Bennett all the credit in the world for upgrading and honoring teams in the past with the additions at the ball park, he did a great job with that. We have a great facility now in Orangefield and he had a lot to do with that. I like coach Bennett and I wish him all the luck in the world at Kirbyville!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Bennett Will only have 3 returning seniors @ Kirbyville. Randall Allday 1B, Catcher, Holden Holsomeback Catcher, and Cody Goins Pitcher, Outfield and Middle Infield.
Not a lot of returning talent, I believe they will take a year or two to turn the Wildcat Baseball Program around.
To bad he didn't come a year earlier, We wouldn't have wasted the talent we had in the 2011 season.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder