2 Pro-Bonders Fall!!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your sole focus on the tax payer’s dollars does not benefit the students or the education system. I don’t know the history of the incumbents or the elected but while I’m all for fiscal responsibility, your extreme view is not good for NISD. 

Since you are concerned, you might want to educate yourself on all candidates.  Then we'll talk.  ;)
Throughout these discussions here, I have always stayed focused on the students.  That's why I'm against passing bonds that build 10 million dollar stadiums and gym-atoriums.  And any other extra expenditures that do not educate one student.    
PS - Being responsible for/with taxpayer dollars has now become an "extreme" view?  Learn your history also!!    ::)
PSS - Also, the queen of these bond issues also got defeated in her attempt to gain a school board seat.  Excellent!
Now we can concentrate on education instead of keeping up with the Jones'!!!!

[quote name="mat" post="1011206" timestamp="1305465076"]
Your sole focus on the tax payer’s dollars does not benefit the students or the education system. I don’t know the history of the incumbents or the elected but while I’m all for fiscal responsibility, your extreme view is not good for NISD.  
[/quote]

Of course we do!!  Don't you know that always makes you a better football team    LOL!!!!    ::)

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1011245" timestamp="1305479240"]
Nederland needs a new big football stadium with field turf, a two-story press box and a fieldhouse with a natatorium in it
[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="1011214" timestamp="1305466402"]
Since you are concerned, you might want to educate yourself on all candidates.  Then we'll talk.  ;)
Throughout these discussions here, I have always stayed focused on the students.  That's why I'm against passing bonds that build 10 million dollar stadiums and gym-atoriums.  And any other extra expenditures that do not educate one student.    
PS - Being responsible for/with taxpayer dollars has now become an "extreme" view?  Learn your history also!!    ::)
PSS - Also, the queen of these bond issues also got defeated in her attempt to gain a school board seat.  Excellent!

[quote author=mat link=topic=84302.msg1011206#msg1011206 date=1305465076]
[/quote]
[/quote]

As I already stated, I don’t know the candidates history but I do know much more about certain topics than you realize.

The last NISD consideration of a bond was to address some needed necessities and the price was very small in comparison to the first try and other districts bonds. There was no new stadium or other nonessential needs.

You have twisted my “extreme” comment. I stated extreme in reference to your always anti-bond campaigns. You seam to be in it for the students and “education” as long as it doesn’t cost you a dime more.

Answer this oh wise one.  ;)  The state will cut district funding, the facilities are in poor condition, district department budgets are getting cut, employees are getting laid off and every bordering district has better facilities than NISD. How do they pay for needed improvements? Not keeping up with the Jones.

FYI – the only thing saving NISD is that PNG has not allowed open enrollment.

[quote name="mat" post="1011257" timestamp="1305481506"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1011214#msg1011214 date=1305466402]
PSS - Also, the queen of these bond issues also got defeated in her attempt to gain a school board seat.  Excellent!

[/quote]
[/quote]

As I already stated, I don’t know the candidates history but I do know much more about certain topics than you realize.

The last NISD consideration of a bond was to address some needed necessities and the price was very small in comparison to the first try and other districts bonds. There was no new stadium or other nonessential needs.

You have twisted my “extreme” comment. I stated extreme in reference to your always anti-bond campaigns. You seam to be in it for the students and “education” as long as it doesn’t cost you a dime more.

Answer this oh wise one.  ;)   The state will cut district funding, the facilities are in poor condition, district department budgets are getting cut, employees are getting laid off and every bordering district has better facilities than NISD. How do they pay for needed improvements? Not keeping up with the Jones.

[b]FYI – the only thing saving NISD is that PNG has not allowed open enrollment.[/b]
[/quote]

Don't put too much stock in that. I can think of several cases of Nederland kids pulling strings to try and get here in the last two or three years.

smitty, try and broaden your definition of education a little. Also, look up the word "investment" and then research returns on investments. PN-G and other area districts are taking the steps necessary to remain successful in the future. If NISD doesn't, Nederland won't have a future.

Let me first ask you one question.  And I don't have this answer.  But could find out if you don't:
How much is the total money paid out for extra-curricular activities? 

[quote name="mat" post="1011257" timestamp="1305481506"]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Answer this oh wise one.  ;)   The state will cut district funding, the facilities are in poor condition, district department budgets are getting cut, employees are getting laid off and every bordering district has better facilities than NISD. How do they pay for needed improvements? Not keeping up with the Jones.

[/quote]

smitty:
Of course we do!!   Don't you know that always makes you a better football team    LOL!!!!    ::)

Quote from: bobbymcgee on Today at 12:09:08 PM

Nederland needs a new big football stadium with field turf, a two-story press box and a fieldhouse with a natatorium in it

Give us our only district loss this year and make the playoffs again and I'll make a phone call to let you'll play at "Da Butch" instead of PN-G again, lol.

LOL!!!!    ;D    ;D

[quote name="Big Ford" post="1011277" timestamp="1305490921"]
smitty:
Of course we do!!   Don't you know that always makes you a better football team    LOL!!!!    ::)

Quote from: bobbymcgee on Today at 12:09:08 PM

Give us our only district loss this year and make the playoffs again and I'll make a phone call to let you'll play at "Da Butch" instead of PN-G again, lol.
[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="1011261" timestamp="1305482986"]
Let me first ask you one question.  And I don't have this answer.  But could find out if you don't:
How much is the total money paid out for extra-curricular activities? 

[quote author=mat link=topic=84302.msg1011257#msg1011257 date=1305481506]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Answer this oh wise one.  ;)   The state will cut district funding, the facilities are in poor condition, district department budgets are getting cut, employees are getting laid off and every bordering district has better facilities than NISD. How do they pay for needed improvements? Not keeping up with the Jones.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Nice way to avoid answering a question. Since you require me to answer your question before you answer mine, here goes. I don’t know NISD details but I do know the cost for some comparable districts can be 1.4 million per year.

I’ll go ahead and respond to your next reply before you bring it up. If you think you could gain 1.4 million dollars per year by cutting extra curricular activities then you are mistaken. Cut them out and many of those parents will take their kids to another district thus loosing enrollment thus loosing state funds. Extra curricular is necessary to maintain enrollment numbers.

Your turn.

Has that money really benefitted PNG?

Look at the school rankings.

PN-G http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/search-texas-school-rankings-2011/?appSession=201217255574760

Nederland: http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/search-texas-school-rankings-2011/?appSession=040217255736893

Nederland is a higher ranked school than PNG

Guest Penny
Mat, I'll take it a step further.  You cut all extra-cirruculars and the mass exodus starts as you suggest and I would 110% agree.  Then take the youngster Bandkid's crazy thought that investing in your school is an investment in your overall community, ie your businesses, property you own... etc.  Once the mass exodus starts, how is that good in any way for a single person living in Nederland.  Some can't see the big picture, but that is exactly the slope we're on.  Heck, it may even be too late.  The bond had a VERY small portion of anything for extra-cirriculars.  I'm sure those that put it together and every coach at NISD would gladly have taken every penny out to see the bond to build new schools pass.  This isn't about an agenda or unwise spending, a bond to build new schools in Nederland is an investment in our community.  If you're not willing to invest in it, then be ready to go down with the ship.  We won't be able to save and cut our way to prosperity.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1011295" timestamp="1305497273"]
Has that money really benefitted PNG?

Look at the school rankings.

PN-G http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/search-texas-school-rankings-2011/?appSession=201217255574760

Nederland: http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/search-texas-school-rankings-2011/?appSession=040217255736893

Nederland is a higher ranked school than PNG

[/quote]

Bud, I could find you a hundred different sites that say the exact opposite. Keep in mind that as recently as 2005 PN-G took fifth in Class 4A in the race for the UIL Lone Star Cup. Also keep in mind that Nederland was only ranked "Academically Acceptable" for either '08-'09 or '09-'10 (don't remember which) whereas PN-G has fallen just short of "Exemplary" for the last two years, and that PN-G had blue-ribbon status for several consecutive years leading up to Hurricane Rita.

How many times has Nederland won the district championship in UIL Academics over the last eleven years?

[quote author=Penny link=topic=84302.msg1011302#msg1011302 date=1305499672]
Mat, I'll take it a step further.  You cut all extra-cirruculars and the mass exodus starts as you suggest and I would 110% agree.  Then take the youngster Bandkid's crazy thought that investing in your school is an investment in your overall community, ie your businesses, property you own... etc.  Once the mass exodus starts, how is that good in any way for a single person living in Nederland.  Some can't see the big picture, but that is exactly the slope we're on.  Heck, it may even be too late.  The bond had a VERY small portion of anything for extra-cirriculars.  I'm sure those that put it together and every coach at NISD would gladly have taken every penny out to see the bond to build new schools pass.  This isn't about an agenda or unwise spending, a bond to build new schools in Nederland is an investment in our community.  If you're not willing to invest in it, then be ready to go down with the ship.  We won't be able to save and cut our way to prosperity.
[/quote]

Exactly. I honestly hope Nederland makes the right decision and starts playing catch-up. I've been in many schools in this area for various events and competitions and NHS is by far in the worst condition of any of them when you don't take the PAC into account (which, for the record, is very nice). I have family friends who teach in Nederland that believe it's in the same position Port Arthur was in back in the '80s. I also know that several Nederland schools don't have central air and heat and use window units for air-conditioning. How many other SETX school districts have to do that? I think some of Vidor's schools do, but that's about it as far as I know.

smitty, you keep saying that these facilities won't educate one child. Have you stopped to consider what nice new facilities would do for Nederland's pride? Stepping into the completed Indian Stadium for the first time was a big moment for the Indian Nation. It's a fond memory for myself and all in PN-G who were there. Winning the first game in that stadium is something I will never forget and having six home games follow it was an incredible experience; I know for a fact that having a new stadium, a new coaching staff, and a new school in the works motivated many of the PN-G football players that brought home our first undefeated regular season since 1977, and I also know that it fired up countless other PN-G students that brought home what many have called the most electric year for PN-G extracurricular activities since 1999. Then, starting with my senior year, PN-G students walk into what might as well be a brand new building filled with all sorts of fascinating new technology. Is the building perfect? Not by any means, but it's not like any of us want to go back to the old building and PN-G students generally take pride in the new facilities.

Now imagine what something like that could do for Nederland. Take a drive down Merriman and look at the new middle school and the new parts of the Reservation (and that shiny new totem pole built in our new, state-of-the-art vocational facilities ;D) and imagine kids using brand new facilities wearing that God-awful black and gold (;)). Look at the progress PAISD and its students have made since the start of new construction in Port Arthur. I've seen first-hand what it's like for faculty, staff and students when they're forced to use out-dated facilities that, in many cases, are falling in on themselves and are covered in mold that gets kids sick. Those conditions often cause students to lose pride in their schools and even feel forgotten by their school district and their communities. I reiterate, if Nederland doesn't start investing in its future, its young families will leave and it simply won't have a future.

Lastly, since this is a Nederland thread, scalp 'em. ;D

Lets back up a bit. I agree NISD could use new facilities but it would be very difficult sell a bond that size in today’s economy, job market, etc and I couldn’t blame the tax payers for not being ready at this time for a large bond.

But the bond that was most recently considered is needed just to maintain. A very minimal bond in comparison but some (Smitty) still opposed it. The way I understand it they may try in November and if they do I hope it passes.

That's very true. This is probably the wrong time to try and replace the facilities, and the fist bond probably failed because of poor timing. However, the fact remains. Nederland's facilities are in deplorable condition with the exception of the PAC.

You all could show how desperately Ned needs schools and evidence of those needs for new schools and SMITTY will oppose it. He has a deep seated hatred of Ned. It is always related to extracurricular activities. I do not think it understands the whole concept but please keep trying lol. Yes we need new schools and yes times are tough,but if we wait to much longer it will be to late. Here is an idea from myself :
1.Build a new super middle school and consolidate C.O.Wilson and Central since there 5 blocks from each other at the current C.O. area. one school to maintain,energy efficient and state of the art technology. (High Tech. science and Math labs)
2. Tear down and build new Super Elementary School at current Central School thus consolidating 4 separate schools into one. This would be in the heart of town and not a big diff since all schools are close to this location. Also saving maintenance costs and reduce the amount of administrative personnel such as principals and such.(High tech. science and Math labs.)
3.Retrofit the H.S. and update it with energy efficient state of the art technology.( High tech science and math labs with engineering lab.)
4. The big sale: a new Stadium behind the H.S. with a just right press box not like the Jones .Also new parking lot located to the east of stadium located along Canal.
5.Sale some of the property the elementary schools are located on for lets say new subdivisions for increased revenue . The sale would help offset a portion of the cost along with lower maintenance cost and a small reduction in overall workforce . Hopefully the reduction could be done without layoffs.

Nederland is a growing community with the potential to expand in a variety of different directions, but as I have said before the community as a whole will benefit immensely, but the biggest winner will be the students who will get high tech. classrooms and an all around better learning environment.. Some will say how does a new stadium help, well it is a source of revenue( 10,000 little indians at 5$ a piece  50,000 dollars) as well as other events that are held there.No it is not a money machine but it does help. It also teaches young men and women, who compete there in sports,band or any other school event, life lessons that go way beyond school. But I think the biggest thing is the enjoyment and community pride a town feels when it sees its tax dollars go towards something that brings a community together.
Well there it is my idea please feel free to add or take away. Please Please understand that I would not wish or want a single person to lose a job in the district. SO Smitty have at it. GO DOGS!!!!!!!

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="phunter308" post="1011368" timestamp="1305527699"]
You all could show how desperately Ned needs schools and evidence of those needs for new schools and SMITTY will oppose it. He has a deep seated hatred of Ned. It is always related to extracurricular activities. I do not think it understands the whole concept but please keep trying lol. Yes we need new schools and yes times are tough,but if we wait to much longer it will be to late. Here is an idea from myself :
1.Build a new super middle school and consolidate C.O.Wilson and Central since there 5 blocks from each other at the current C.O. area. one school to maintain,energy efficient and state of the art technology. (High Tech. science and Math labs)
2. Tear down and build new Super Elementary School at current Central School thus consolidating 4 separate schools into one. This would be in the heart of town and not a big diff since all schools are close to this location. Also saving maintenance costs and reduce the amount of administrative personnel such as principals and such.(High tech. science and Math labs.)
3.Retrofit the H.S. and update it with energy efficient state of the art technology.( High tech science and math labs with engineering lab.)
4. The big sale: a new Stadium behind the H.S. with a just right press box not like the Jones .Also new parking lot located to the east of stadium located along Canal.
5.Sale some of the property the elementary schools are located on for lets say new subdivisions for increased revenue . The sale would help offset a portion of the cost along with lower maintenance cost and a small reduction in overall workforce . Hopefully the reduction could be done without layoffs.

Nederland is a growing community with the potential to expand in a variety of different directions, but as I have said before the community as a whole will benefit immensely, but the biggest winner will be the students who will get high tech. classrooms and an all around better learning environment.. Some will say how does a new stadium help, well it is a source of revenue( 10,000 little indians at 5$ a piece  50,000 dollars) as well as other events that are held there.No it is not a money machine but it does help. It also teaches young men and women, who compete there in sports,band or any other school event, life lessons that go way beyond school. But I think the biggest thing is the enjoyment and community pride a town feels when it sees its tax dollars go towards something that brings a community together.
Well there it is my idea please feel free to add or take away. Please Please understand that I would not wish or want a single person to lose a job in the district. SO Smitty have at it. GO DOGS!!!!!!!
[/quote]

1.) I like the idea of a super middle school with the additions you put.
2.) Don't like the idea of one elementary. I do however like the idea of 2. One elementary I think would be way to congested and too much for youngsters.
3.)Yes, also still liking the tech and engineering/math focus you have going on here.
4.)Sounds good.
Overall I like your ideas and our quickly turning bum community is standing in the way.

[quote]Nederland is a growing community with the potential to expand in a variety of different directions[/quote]
Absolutely disagree and i'm not sure where you're referring to. The only expansion in our schools is students from Port Arthur. Some students are good and their parents are really trying to bring them to a better school. others.. well... not so much. But hey! it gets us more state money and I guess thats all we care about?

Yes Nederland should feel so good about themselves for not passing a bond, it was such the right thing to do. That why these schools are wrong so wrong and these students will suffer from there bond being passed, WOW 2 passed since 2006, PNG (good god why would you want your kids in a brand new JR, and elementary schoos, BISD, Port Arthur way to nice of a High School, etc too many to count.  Smitty is so right let never build anything nice in NEderland, no to extra curricualar activities, school 7 days a week for 10 hours a day.  Lets have the lowest tax rate in Jefferson county O wait we already do.

[quote name="fbplayer999" post="1011730" timestamp="1305636478"]
Yes Nederland should feel so good about themselves for not passing a bond, it was such the right thing to do. That why these schools are wrong so wrong and these students will suffer from there bond being passed, WOW 2 passed since 2006, PNG (good god why would you want your kids in a brand new JR, and elementary schoos, BISD, Port Arthur way to nice of a High School, etc too many to count.   Smitty is so right let never build anything nice in NEderland, no to extra curricualar activities, school 7 days a week for 10 hours a day.  Lets have the lowest tax rate in Jefferson county O wait we already do.
[/quote]

After reading that quote, it seems to me Nederland needs to build a state of the art English/Grammar lab.

The elementary idea is good, but I would have two K-5 campuses. I've brought that up for our district by having PN with one and Groves with one. The schools would be like 1000 kids, but if you build it like the some of the suburb districts around Houston, the kindergarten kids never see the 5th grade kids because they are in wings. I think Ned and PNG would benefit from this because newer and less buildings equals lower maintenance costs and operations costs. You just have to be willing to draft the right bond and show where it helps the district in the long term. Think about it this way, if you build new schools now, you won't have to worry about them for another 50 years.

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1011315" timestamp="1305504075"]
[How many times has Nederland won the district championship in UIL Academics over the last eleven years?
[/quote]
Just want to point out that LCM took 2nd in UIL last year (barely lost to PNG) and took 3rd this year (losing by one 5th place to Nederland), despite missing all of band (see: half of their UIL team) because of the triennial field trip to Colorado...just saying...  :)

[quote name="Roughrider" post="1011768" timestamp="1305640659"]
[quote author=fbplayer999 link=topic=84302.msg1011730#msg1011730 date=1305636478]
Yes Nederland should feel so good about themselves for not passing a bond, it was such the right thing to do. That why these schools are wrong so wrong and these students will suffer from there bond being passed, WOW 2 passed since 2006, PNG (good god why would you want your kids in a brand new JR, and elementary schoos, BISD, Port Arthur way to nice of a High School, etc too many to count.   Smitty is so right let never build anything nice in NEderland, no to extra curricualar activities, school 7 days a week for 10 hours a day.  Lets have the lowest tax rate in Jefferson county O wait we already do.
[/quote]

After reading that quote, it seems to me Nederland needs to build a state of the art English/Grammar lab.
[/quote]

Been saying that for years. ;D

[quote author=A Bear's Bear link=topic=84302.msg1011819#msg1011819 date=1305644020]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1011315#msg1011315 date=1305504075]
[How many times has Nederland won the district championship in UIL Academics over the last eleven years?
[/quote]
Just want to point out that LCM took 2nd in UIL last year (barely lost to PNG) and took 3rd this year (losing by one 5th place to Nederland), despite missing all of band (see: half of their UIL team) because of the triennial field trip to Colorado...just saying...  :)
[/quote]

At the 2010 meet, our score was 431 to LC-M's 268. That's a 163 point difference. Our score was 1.61 times yours.

With that said, LC-M's band being in Colorado did hurt their UIL team this year. However, it wasn't like LC-M was barely losing to us in the sweepstakes races at the practice meets. The only practice meets we didn't win this year were Nederland (Pearland Dawson showed up) and A&M Consolidated (lost by one freaking place to Whitehouse, which is the North Texas version of Friendswood). We won the 4A/5A category at all of the others by considerable margins. Also, we beat second place Nederland this year 493-233.

Back on topic... Nederland's schools suck. ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    julianhudges
    Newest Member
    julianhudges