2 Pro-Bonders Fall!!

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1012035" timestamp="1305666670"]
[quote author=Roughrider link=topic=84302.msg1011768#msg1011768 date=1305640659]
[quote author=fbplayer999 link=topic=84302.msg1011730#msg1011730 date=1305636478]
Yes Nederland should feel so good about themselves for not passing a bond, it was such the right thing to do. That why these schools are wrong so wrong and these students will suffer from there bond being passed, WOW 2 passed since 2006, PNG (good god why would you want your kids in a brand new JR, and elementary schoos, BISD, Port Arthur way to nice of a High School, etc too many to count.   Smitty is so right let never build anything nice in NEderland, no to extra curricualar activities, school 7 days a week for 10 hours a day.  Lets have the lowest tax rate in Jefferson county O wait we already do.
[/quote]

After reading that quote, it seems to me Nederland needs to build a state of the art English/Grammar lab.
[/quote]

Been saying that for years. ;D

[quote author=A Bear's Bear link=topic=84302.msg1011819#msg1011819 date=1305644020]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1011315#msg1011315 date=1305504075]
[How many times has Nederland won the district championship in UIL Academics over the last eleven years?
[/quote]
Just want to point out that LCM took 2nd in UIL last year (barely lost to PNG) and took 3rd this year (losing by one 5th place to Nederland), despite missing all of band (see: half of their UIL team) because of the triennial field trip to Colorado...just saying...  :)
[/quote]

At the 2010 meet, our score was 431 to LC-M's 268. That's a 163 point difference. Our score was 1.61 times yours.

With that said, LC-M's band being in Colorado did hurt their UIL team this year. However, it wasn't like LC-M was barely losing to us in the sweepstakes races at the practice meets. The only practice meets we didn't win this year were Nederland (Pearland Dawson showed up) and A&M Consolidated (lost by one freaking place to Whitehouse, which is the North Texas version of Friendswood). We won the 4A/5A category at all of the others by considerable margins. Also, we beat second place Nederland this year 493-233.

[b]Back on topic... Nederland's schools suck.[/b] ;D
[/quote]uh oh....here we go  ;D

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="I dont play well with Jaguars" post="1012046" timestamp="1305669036"]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1012035#msg1012035 date=1305666670]
[quote author=Roughrider link=topic=84302.msg1011768#msg1011768 date=1305640659]
[quote author=fbplayer999 link=topic=84302.msg1011730#msg1011730 date=1305636478]
Yes Nederland should feel so good about themselves for not passing a bond, it was such the right thing to do. That why these schools are wrong so wrong and these students will suffer from there bond being passed, WOW 2 passed since 2006, PNG (good god why would you want your kids in a brand new JR, and elementary schoos, BISD, Port Arthur way to nice of a High School, etc too many to count.   Smitty is so right let never build anything nice in NEderland, no to extra curricualar activities, school 7 days a week for 10 hours a day.  Lets have the lowest tax rate in Jefferson county O wait we already do.
[/quote]

After reading that quote, it seems to me Nederland needs to build a state of the art English/Grammar lab.
[/quote]

Been saying that for years. ;D

[quote author=A Bear's Bear link=topic=84302.msg1011819#msg1011819 date=1305644020]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1011315#msg1011315 date=1305504075]
[How many times has Nederland won the district championship in UIL Academics over the last eleven years?
[/quote]
Just want to point out that LCM took 2nd in UIL last year (barely lost to PNG) and took 3rd this year (losing by one 5th place to Nederland), despite missing all of band (see: half of their UIL team) because of the triennial field trip to Colorado...just saying...  :)
[/quote]

At the 2010 meet, our score was 431 to LC-M's 268. That's a 163 point difference. Our score was 1.61 times yours.

With that said, LC-M's band being in Colorado did hurt their UIL team this year. However, it wasn't like LC-M was barely losing to us in the sweepstakes races at the practice meets. The only practice meets we didn't win this year were Nederland (Pearland Dawson showed up) and A&M Consolidated (lost by one freaking place to Whitehouse, which is the North Texas version of Friendswood). We won the 4A/5A category at all of the others by considerable margins. Also, we beat second place Nederland this year 493-233.

[b]Back on topic... Nederland's schools suck.[/b] ;D
[/quote]uh oh....here we go  ;D
[/quote]

;)

I have pretty well answered these questions in the past.  Here goes again:  You keep repairing when something happens.  So my question, as before, why were not the repairs kept up with??  No new taxes.  No new bonds until all questions are answered.  And all effort is put into getting the BEST EDUCATION while efficiently taking care of the tax payers dollars.  And if that means cutting extra-curricular activities, then so be it.  Threats of people moving to other school districts does not phase me.  If there are those that are just there to do extra-curricular activities, then we don't need them!!  I say give me your child, you'll have a safe LEARNING environment.
We'll see to it that your child will get the best education around.  Plus we won't rape you as a tax payer!!

[quote name="mat" post="1011288" timestamp="1305494288"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1011261#msg1011261 date=1305482986]
Let me first ask you one question.  And I don't have this answer.  But could find out if you don't:
How much is the total money paid out for extra-curricular activities? 

[quote author=mat link=topic=84302.msg1011257#msg1011257 date=1305481506]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1011214#msg1011214 date=1305466402]
Since you are concerned, you might want to educate yourself on all candidates.  Then we'll talk.  ;)
Throughout these discussions here, I have always stayed focused on the students.  That's why I'm against passing bonds that build 10 million dollar stadiums and gym-atoriums.  And any other extra expenditures that do not educate one student.    
PS - Being responsible for/with taxpayer dollars has now become an "extreme" view?  Learn your history also!!    ::)
PSS - Also, the queen of these bond issues also got defeated in her attempt to gain a school board seat.  Excellent!
Now we can concentrate on education instead of keeping up with the Jones'!!!!

[quote author=mat link=topic=84302.msg1011206#msg1011206 date=1305465076]
Your sole focus on the tax payer’s dollars does not benefit the students or the education system. I don’t know the history of the incumbents or the elected but while I’m all for fiscal responsibility, your extreme view is not good for NISD.  
[/quote]
[/quote]

As I already stated, I don’t know the candidates history but I do know much more about certain topics than you realize.

The last NISD consideration of a bond was to address some needed necessities and the price was very small in comparison to the first try and other districts bonds. There was no new stadium or other nonessential needs.

You have twisted my “extreme” comment. I stated extreme in reference to your always anti-bond campaigns. You seam to be in it for the students and “education” as long as it doesn’t cost you a dime more.

Answer this oh wise one.  ;)   The state will cut district funding, the facilities are in poor condition, district department budgets are getting cut, employees are getting laid off and every bordering district has better facilities than NISD. How do they pay for needed improvements? Not keeping up with the Jones.

FYI – the only thing saving NISD is that PNG has not allowed open enrollment.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Nice way to avoid answering a question. Since you require me to answer your question before you answer mine, here goes. I don’t know NISD details but I do know the cost for some comparable districts can be 1.4 million per year.

I’ll go ahead and respond to your next reply before you bring it up. If you think you could gain 1.4 million dollars per year by cutting extra curricular activities then you are mistaken. Cut them out and many of those parents will take their kids to another district thus loosing enrollment thus loosing state funds. Extra curricular is necessary to maintain enrollment numbers.

Your turn.

[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="1012310" timestamp="1305758319"]
I have pretty well answered these questions in the past.  Here goes again:  You keep repairing when something happens.  So my question, as before, why were not the repairs kept up with??  No new taxes.  No new bonds until all questions are answered.  And all effort is put into getting the BEST EDUCATION while efficiently taking care of the tax payers dollars.  And if that means cutting extra-curricular activities, then so be it.  Threats of people moving to other school districts does not phase me.  If there are those that are just there to do extra-curricular activities, then we don't need them!!  I say give me your child, you'll have a safe LEARNING environment.
We'll see to it that your child will get the best education around.  Plus we won't rape you as a tax payer!!
[/quote]

That depends on your definition of education; obviously, yours is very narrow.

Academia, of course, is the primary focus of any school district. However, that is not all there is to education. Extracurricular activities do something that pure academics cannot. While academic knowledge is incredibly useful, what cannot be taught in the traditional classroom setting in any serious manner are values. Core values and skills such as teamwork, sportsmanship, work ethic, leadership, social behaviors, and other things of that sort simply cannot be imparted to a generation through a pen, paper, and textbook. Those are things that come to students through activities and groups such as the band, drill team, various sports teams, FCCLA, FFA, and National Honors Society. In order to round out and complete an education, those things must be involved. All the knowledge in the world will not help a group of students if they don't know how to act, work together, or accomplish a goal.

There is not a narrow definition of education.  You know what's important and I know what's important.  And it's NOT a game!!  It's good if you can but it's still a GAME!!!!!

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1012372" timestamp="1305771953"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1012310#msg1012310 date=1305758319]
I have pretty well answered these questions in the past.  Here goes again:  You keep repairing when something happens.  So my question, as before, why were not the repairs kept up with??  No new taxes.  No new bonds until all questions are answered.  And all effort is put into getting the BEST EDUCATION while efficiently taking care of the tax payers dollars.  And if that means cutting extra-curricular activities, then so be it.  Threats of people moving to other school districts does not phase me.  If there are those that are just there to do extra-curricular activities, then we don't need them!!  I say give me your child, you'll have a safe LEARNING environment.
We'll see to it that your child will get the best education around.  Plus we won't rape you as a tax payer!!
[/quote]

That depends on your definition of education; obviously, yours is very narrow.

Academia, of course, is the primary focus of any school district. However, that is not all there is to education. Extracurricular activities do something that pure academics cannot. While academic knowledge is incredibly useful, what cannot be taught in the traditional classroom setting in any serious manner are values. Core values and skills such as teamwork, sportsmanship, work ethic, leadership, social behaviors, and other things of that sort simply cannot be imparted to a generation through a pen, paper, and textbook. Those are things that come to students through activities and groups such as the band, drill team, various sports teams, FCCLA, FFA, and National Honors Society. In order to round out and complete an education, those things must be involved. All the knowledge in the world will not help a group of students if they don't know how to act, work together, or accomplish a goal.
[/quote]

Guest Brubaker
Smitty, we're talking about 50 and 60 year old buildings, the financials of maintaining and keeping up with these buildings is cost prohibitive.  The math is simple and points to a greater financial payback for building new schools.  And for Versey Ledbetter, ain't a soul on here talking about building any football stadium or any other athletic facility, this is about new schools to educate our kids and protect our property value/community.  Look Smitty, I can't help it if you have an agenda, or can't do math, that's not my problem, the financials are pretty simple at this point.  The ONLY smart move is to either let the buildings and community crumble into oblivion, or build new schools, it's that simple buddy.  Burn the dang football stadium to the ground if it makes you happy, hell, build a new middle school where the N resides at Bulldog stadium, it's getting to that point.  Your ploy of crying that the money is going to extra-cirriculars is old and wasted on me.  If we fired every person responsible for spending money in NISD and maintaining facilities, and let you pick their replacements, would you then build new schools?  This has to be personal.  You cry about protecting the taxpayer, and hell, I'm one of em, how better to protect the taxpayer than to build new schools that will bolster property value and attract the best people who come into the area?  Maybe you just have a short term brain that can't see beyond 2-3 years?  I have no idea what your agenda is, but I can tell you that you DO NOT have the best interest of our community or our schools in mind as you fire off your posts.  You have offered no solutions, you're a CRITIC/ a COWARD, your message is OLD, it has no future.  And you are the voice of CARE that shot down the last bond, you are one in the same.  You duped the uninformed, congratulations.

And I'm the hardest of hard core conservatives.  I would bet lots of money, that we have voted for the same president since I was eligible to vote.  Our goals the same, our approach, drastically different.  You see this as WASTE, that's just too easy.  Building new schools isn't the same as OBAMA Care, or the wasteful spending in Washington, I know you would have us think it is.  THis is totally different, totally.  This is a community, doing what it needs to do to be successful, it's not Washington wasting money on entitlements. People like you will bring this community down, absolutely, positively, big fat exclamation point, you are destructive.

Dang Bru.....couldn't have said it better myself....the point smitty doesn't get is that taxpayer money is already being wasted on maintenance of these antiques...and as for the CARE committee, they make me sick, really....this is a group of folks who claimed that they agreed that NISD had major problems with these buildings, yet once they killed the bond, they offer not one of their so called alternate solutions to the issue....their true objective was reached and that was to kill the bond and not increase their taxes....so you tell me, how much do they really care about anything other than their personal objectives.

For the record, much like Bru, I am a staunch conservative...this has nothing to do with tax and spend...it has everything to do with discontinuing waste on maintenance and investing in the future of our community and preserving the values of properties that a already exist in Nederland.

[quote name="smitty" post="1012310" timestamp="1305758319"]
I have pretty well answered these questions in the past.  Here goes again:  You keep repairing when something happens.  [b]So my question, as before, why were not the repairs kept up with??  No new taxes.  No new bonds until all questions are answered. [/b]  And all effort is put into getting the BEST EDUCATION while efficiently taking care of the tax payers dollars.  And if that means cutting extra-curricular activities, then so be it.  Threats of people moving to other school districts does not phase me.  If there are those that are just there to do extra-curricular activities, then we don't need them!!  I say give me your child, you'll have a safe LEARNING environment.
We'll see to it that your child will get the best education around.  Plus we won't rape you as a tax payer!!

[quote author=mat link=topic=84302.msg1011288#msg1011288 date=1305494288]
[/quote]

Answer this oh wise one.  ;)   The state will cut district funding, the facilities are in poor condition, district department budgets are getting cut, employees are getting laid off and every bordering district has better facilities than NISD. How do they pay for needed improvements? Not keeping up with the Jones.

[/quote]

[/quote]
As usual you answered the question with a question. You have not responded how to address the poor facility conditions.

Your hardnosed approach of saying “we don’t need those students” is also saying you need the state funding for those students. Your view makes no financial sense except to your pocket.

[quote name="smitty" post="1012382" timestamp="1305772864"]
There is not a narrow definition of education.  You no what's important and I know what's important.  And it's NOT a game!!  It's good if you can but it's still a GAME!!!!!
[/quote]

Yeah, I do know what's important. Values are important - every bit as important as actual knowledge. You can't teach a student the importance of teamwork by only giving him reading, writing, and arithmetic.

Alright, you've lost me. It's not a game, but it's still a game? Whatever.

Good luck, Ned. Have fun trying to replace those dilapidated, crumbling buildings with smitty out there. Meanwhile, I'll be wrapping up my secondary education over here on the Reservation, where we have a solid foundation, an intact roof, and central air and heat. Scalp 'em! ;D

It appears, though, I'm not the only one.   Sometimes you have to think outside the box.     ;)
Stick with me, young-un:  I was saying you know what's important (education) and it's NOT a game (football, baseball) that's really important.  Games are good but it's still a game!  Get it now??

link=topic=84302.msg1012600#msg1012600 date=1305840397]
[quote name="smitty" post="1012382" timestamp="1305772864"]
There is not a narrow definition of education.  You no what's important and I know what's important.  And it's NOT a game!!  It's good if you can but it's still a GAME!!!!!
[/quote]

Yeah, I do know what's important. Values are important - every bit as important as actual knowledge. You can't teach a student the importance of teamwork by only giving him reading, writing, and arithmetic.

Good luck, Ned. Have fun trying to replace those dilapidated, crumbling buildings with smitty out there. Meanwhile, I'll be wrapping up my secondary education over here on the Reservation, where we have a solid foundation, an intact roof, and central air and heat. Scalp 'em! ;D
[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="1012764" timestamp="1305882315"]
Does anyone here have the total budget for extra-curricular activities for Nederland ISD?
[/quote]

You continue to ask questions but provide no answers or solutions

Does anyone here have the total budget for extra-curricular activities for Nederland ISD?
[/quote]

Define  extra-curricular? Band, Performing Arts, Choir, Soccer, Baseball, Football, girls softball, academic clubs, etc...
Sports have booster club and  fundraisers, like tomorrow is the golf tournament to raise money. Smitty, why dont you go and support the kids!
The budget is submitted every year for all groups. But football pays for a lot of stuff. $7 per ticket x 3000 fans per game is a lot of money.
Believe me, when you go into the field house they are doing without... lockers falling apart and the entire facilty does not look appealling. Its funny everyone wants to bring up football to justify the bond.

There will be a bond. The one they were going to bring to the votes a few weeks ago was going to be around 40 million (thats what I heard from a reliable source) that was only going to patch the schools, the board decided not to go through with it. The last bond in 2009 was asking for turf and press box, not a new stadium. So get the facts right, also, if we do not do somethin soon, our community will slip beyond recovery.

I think the 2 elected will hold the district accountable for spending money, and I do beleive they will support a bond.
Lastly, Nederland tax rate @ 1.11 per thousand is the lowest rate in Jefferson county. Our tax rate is lower now than it was 10 years ago.

[/quote]

I don't know what it is now, but I know at one time NISD spent about $1.7 Million annually on athletics. Although this is a Nederland thread, I'd like to point out that in the same year PN-GISD spent half that since you love to pick on us as well. We also make more money from football ticket sales than Nederland... and just about everyone else.

http://nederland.schoolfusion.us/modules/groups/homepagefiles/cms/120199/File/business/Budgets/2010-11%20Budget%20Book.pdf?sessionid=baa4dd1bc167af34e66371112570ce9b

Here's a link to the NISD budget for this school year. Have fun.

[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1012766#msg1012766 date=1305883799]
It appears, though, I'm not the only one.   Sometimes you have to think outside the box.     ;)
Stick with me, young-un:  I was saying you know what's important (education) and it's NOT a game (football, baseball) that's really important.  Games are good but it's still a game!  Get it now??

[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1012600#msg1012600 date=1305840397]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1012382#msg1012382 date=1305772864]
There is not a narrow definition of education.  You no what's important and I know what's important.  And it's NOT a game!!  It's good if you can but it's still a GAME!!!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

So you know for a fact that these two incumbents were removed from the board for their stances on the bond? I think that bond would have passed had the economy not crashed. In fact, it sounds to me like most in Nederland regret not passing it, but that's just an outsider perspective.

And even as a band member, I know that those games teach a lot more than just how to score points when you've got the right coaches.

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1013168" timestamp="1305995572"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1012764#msg1012764 date=1305882315]
[/quote]

I don't know what it is now, but I know at one time NISD spent about $1.7 Million annually on athletics. Although this is a Nederland thread, I'd like to point out that in the same year PN-GISD spent half that since you love to pick on us as well. We also make more money from football ticket sales than Nederland... and just about everyone else.

http://nederland.schoolfusion.us/modules/groups/homepagefiles/cms/120199/File/business/Budgets/2010-11%20Budget%20Book.pdf?sessionid=baa4dd1bc167af34e66371112570ce9b

[/quote]
[img]http://rlv.zcache.com/mines_bigger_than_yours_strings_tshirt-p235992870924116780q6v8_400.jpg[/img]

So, it's best to offer solutions before you get all the facts??????    ???  No wonder we are in the mess we are in!!    ::)

[quote name="mat" post="1012796" timestamp="1305898380"]
[/quote]

You continue to ask questions but provide no answers or solutions
[/quote]

Let's just take this 1.7 mill figure.  How many teachers could we hire with that money?  How much repairs could we do with that money?  In times of trouble, sometimes you have to think outside the box!!  Saying business as usual will not cut it anymore!!

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1013168" timestamp="1305995572"]
[/quote]

[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1012600#msg1012600 date=1305840397]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

So you know for a fact that these two incumbents were removed from the board for their stances on the bond? I think that bond would have passed had the economy not crashed. In fact, it sounds to me like most in Nederland regret not passing it, but that's just an outsider perspective.

And even as a band member, I know that those games teach a lot more than just how to score points when you've got the right coaches.
[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="1013494" timestamp="1306151841"]
Let's just take this 1.7 mill figure.  How many teachers could we hire with that money?  How much repairs could we do with that money?  In times of trouble, [b]sometimes you have to think outside the box!![/b]  Saying business as usual will not cut it anymore!!

[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1013168#msg1013168 date=1305995572]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Think outside the box? I and others have explained the financial implications of eliminating extra curricular programs. Your tunnel vision keeps you is very small impractical box.

Critics constantly criticizing with no real knowledge; no wonder NISD is in the shape their in. ::)

PS – I think it’s safe to say you have no children in the district.

Tunnel vision is wanting to hang on to something at the expense of what's REALLY important -- EDUCATION!!
So, who cares about the kids.  Someone who says we need to concentrate on EDUCATION or someone who try's to hang on the status qua  and watch your district go down the tubes?  So, you are against using 1.7 mill for more and better teachers and building repairs??  And YOU are for what's good for the kids??    ???
Nothing you've offered will educate one child.  Everything I've said has!!      ;)

[quote name="mat" post="1013498" timestamp="1306152997"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1013494#msg1013494 date=1306151841]
Let's just take this 1.7 mill figure.  How many teachers could we hire with that money?  How much repairs could we do with that money?  In times of trouble, [b]sometimes you have to think outside the box!![/b]  Saying business as usual will not cut it anymore!!

[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1013168#msg1013168 date=1305995572]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Think outside the box? I and others have explained the financial implications of eliminating extra curricular programs. Your tunnel vision keeps you is very small impractical box.

Critics constantly criticizing with no real knowledge; no wonder NISD is in the shape their in. ::)

[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="1013502" timestamp="1306154689"]
Tunnel vision is wanting to hang on to something at the expense of what's REALLY important -- EDUCATION!!
So, who cares about the kids.  Someone who says we need to concentrate on EDUCATION or someone who try's to hang on the status qua  and watch your district go down the tubes?  So, you are against using 1.7 mill for more and better teachers and building repairs??  And YOU are for what's good for the kids??    ???
Nothing you've offered will educate one child.  Everything I've said has!!      ;)

[quote author=mat link=topic=84302.msg1013498#msg1013498 date=1306152997]
Let's just take this 1.7 mill figure.  How many teachers could we hire with that money?  How much repairs could we do with that money?  In times of trouble, [b]sometimes you have to think outside the box!![/b]  Saying business as usual will not cut it anymore!!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
There is no question that education is the #1 priority but it is tunnel vision to think nothing else is of importance.

Again -- In times of trouble you have to make changes.  This includes the way you think, or been programed to think about things.  Nederland does not have industry to continue business as usual.  This is what has got us in this situation.  Ignoring reality and trying to keep up with the Jones' cannot continue.  
One cannot also say that education is #1 but...  It either is or it's not.  

[quote name="mat" post="1013508" timestamp="1306156543"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1013502#msg1013502 date=1306154689]
Nothing you've offered will educate one child.  Everything I've said has!!      ;)

[quote author=mat link=topic=84302.msg1013498#msg1013498 date=1306152997]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
There is no question that education is the #1 priority but it is tunnel vision to think nothing else is of importance.
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder