2 Pro-Bonders Fall!!

[quote name="smitty" post="1013521" timestamp="1306159314"]
Again -- In times of trouble you have to make changes.  This includes the way you think, or been programed to think about things.  Nederland does not have industry to continue business as usual.  This is what has got us in this situation.  Ignoring reality and trying to keep up with the Jones' cannot continue.  
[b]One cannot also say that education is #1 but...[/b]  It either is or it's not.  
[/quote]

No one has ever said education is #1 or it not. Everyone agrees with that. Just another case of you putting words in someone’s mouth.

This is what I see your view as. (Correct me if I’m wrong because I don’t want to put words in your mouth.)

Priority #1 – Education only

Priority #2 – Now new taxes under any circumstance.
(I may have 1 & 2 out of order for you.)

Priority #3 – There is no priority 3

FYI – judging by the condition of NISD facilities there is no “keeping up with the Jones”

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that first bond issue, that was soundly defeated by the taxpayers -- was pretty much wanting to keep up with the Jones'. 
As long as there is 1.7 mill sitting there on non-educational items, how can you raise taxes??
Like i said before, Nederland does not really have an industry base that pays taxes.  So, the home owners have to pay the brunt of it.  So, that is something that has to be dealt with.  So, I'm fair: Let's bring up another bond issue for all the spending you want and let's see if it passes!

[quote name="mat" post="1013552" timestamp="1306166706"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1013521#msg1013521 date=1306159314]
Again -- In times of trouble you have to make changes.  This includes the way you think, or been programed to think about things.  Nederland does not have industry to continue business as usual.  This is what has got us in this situation.  Ignoring reality and trying to keep up with the Jones' cannot continue.  
[b]One cannot also say that education is #1 but...[/b]  It either is or it's not.  
[/quote]

No one has ever said education is #1 or it not. Everyone agrees with that. Just another case of you putting words in someone’s mouth.

This is what I see your view as. (Correct me if I’m wrong because I don’t want to put words in your mouth.)

Priority #1 – Education only

Priority #2 – Now new taxes under any circumstance.
(I may have 1 & 2 out of order for you.)

Priority #3 – There is no priority 3

FYI – judging by the condition of NISD facilities there is no “keeping up with the Jones”

[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="1013521" timestamp="1306159314"]
Again -- In times of trouble you have to make changes.  This includes the way you think, or been programed to think about things.  Nederland does not have industry to continue business as usual.  This is what has got us in this situation.  Ignoring reality and trying to keep up with the Jones' cannot continue. 
One cannot also say that education is #1 but...  It either is or it's not. 
[/quote]

I don't think anyone's doubting that changes have to be made, and I'm not even sure that anyone's against cutting from athletics here and there because, after all, all school districts are scaling things back right now. I think everyone from Nederland is saying that your schools need to be replaced and that there needs to be a bond that will do that which, I believe, was part of the original topic of this thread.

And for the record, Nederland's behind the Jones family... WAY behind. They're going to have to catch up to the Waltons, the Bradys and the Simpsons before they ever think about the Jones.

But like I said, you can only drain the taxpayers so much.  We aren't like the Feds; we can't print money! 

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1013627" timestamp="1306184623"]
Again -- In times of trouble you have to make changes.  This includes the way you think, or been programed to think about things.  Nederland does not have industry to continue business as usual.  This is what has got us in this situation.  Ignoring reality and trying to keep up with the Jones' cannot continue. 
[/quote]

I don't think anyone's doubting that changes have to be made, and I'm not even sure that anyone's against cutting from athletics here and there because, after all, all school districts are scaling things back right now. I think everyone from Nederland is saying that your schools need to be replaced and that there needs to be a bond that will do that which, I believe, was part of the original topic of this thread.

And for the record, Nederland's behind the Jones family... WAY behind. They're going to have to catch up to the Waltons, the Bradys and the Simpsons before they ever think about the Jones.
[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="1012382" timestamp="1305772864"]
There is not a narrow definition of education.  You know what's important and I know what's important.  And it's NOT a game!!  It's good if you can but it's still a GAME!!!!!

[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1012372#msg1012372 date=1305771953]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1012310#msg1012310 date=1305758319]
I have pretty well answered these questions in the past.  Here goes again:  You keep repairing when something happens.  So my question, as before, why were not the repairs kept up with??  No new taxes.  No new bonds until all questions are answered.  And all effort is put into getting the BEST EDUCATION while efficiently taking care of the tax payers dollars.  And if that means cutting extra-curricular activities, then so be it.  Threats of people moving to other school districts does not phase me.  If there are those that are just there to do extra-curricular activities, then we don't need them!!  I say give me your child, you'll have a safe LEARNING environment.
We'll see to it that your child will get the best education around.  Plus we won't rape you as a tax payer!!
[/quote]

That depends on your definition of education; obviously, yours is very narrow.

Academia, of course, is the primary focus of any school district. However, that is not all there is to education. Extracurricular activities do something that pure academics cannot. While academic knowledge is incredibly useful, what cannot be taught in the traditional classroom setting in any serious manner are values. Core values and skills such as teamwork, sportsmanship, work ethic, leadership, social behaviors, and other things of that sort simply cannot be imparted to a generation through a pen, paper, and textbook. Those are things that come to students through activities and groups such as the band, drill team, various sports teams, FCCLA, FFA, and National Honors Society. In order to round out and complete an education, those things must be involved. All the knowledge in the world will not help a group of students if they don't know how to act, work together, or accomplish a goal.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Many a life lessons have been learned from playing those games.

Guest The-NHS
First, PNGbandkid, I don't care that you're trumpet is larger than mine. So please stop pointing that out with every post you make. We realize our facilities are behind hence the reason for this thread. Go toot on your piccolo somewhere else if that's all you have to offer. Normally I like and respect your opinions especially in the locker room section.

Second, Smitty, I know you're constantly attacked and you have a right to your opinion but your opinion rarely makes sense. Would 1.7 million dollars make needed fixes? ABSOLUTELY YES. Would 1.7 million dollars fix the problem? ABSOLUTELY NOT EVEN FRIGGIN CLOSE.

Smitty, the point everyone is making that is pro bond is that we really really really need to make necessary investments in new facilities. I don't need turf on the football field (I prefer well kept and cut grass anyway) to make me happy. I don't need flashy this or flashy that. But our district desperately needs new buildings for elementary, middle, and high school levels and if you think patching a roof fixes it then you are entirely wrong.

[quote name="The-NHS" post="1013645" timestamp="1306190526"]
First, PNGbandkid, I don't care that you're trumpet is larger than mine. So please stop pointing that out with every post you make. We realize our facilities are behind hence the reason for this thread. Go toot on your piccolo somewhere else if that's all you have to offer. Normally I like and respect your opinions especially in the locker room section.

Second, Smitty, I know you're constantly attacked and you have a right to your opinion but your opinion rarely makes sense. Would 1.7 million dollars make needed fixes? ABSOLUTELY YES. Would 1.7 million dollars fix the problem? ABSOLUTELY NOT EVEN FRIGGIN CLOSE.

Smitty, the point everyone is making that is pro bond is that we really really really need to make necessary investments in new facilities. I don't need turf on the football field (I prefer well kept and cut grass anyway) to make me happy. I don't need flashy this or flashy that. But our district desperately needs new buildings for elementary, middle, and high school levels and if you think patching a roof fixes it then you are entirely wrong.
[/quote]

:D

Just take it as the rivalry bleeding through. I used to go round after round with some of the Nederland posters on here in multiple threads (guess I finally beat 'em ;D). It's just an old volley of well-intended jabs.

In all seriousness, smitty and I have carried on this debate a dozen or so times. We've had the ideological argument, we've had the practical argument, and we've had everything inbetween. If you'd like me to post a link to one of the old threads in which I state my case more objectively, I can do so. :)

Oh, and scalp 'em. ;D That one's just for you. :D

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1013655" timestamp="1306197032"]
[quote author=The-NHS link=topic=84302.msg1013645#msg1013645 date=1306190526]

[/quote]

Just take it as the rivalry bleeding through. I used to go round after round with some of the Nederland posters on here in multiple threads (guess I finally beat 'em ;D). It's just an old volley of well-intended jabs.

In all seriousness, smitty and I have carried on this debate a dozen or so times. We've had the ideological argument, we've had the practical argument, and we've had everything inbetween. If you'd like me to post a link to one of the old threads in which I state my case more objectively, I can do so. :)

[/quote]

lol we shall see who is scalpen who very soon.

[quote name="smitty" post="1013630" timestamp="1306185512"]
But like I said, you can only drain the taxpayers so much.  We aren't like the Feds; we can't print money! 

[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1013627#msg1013627 date=1306184623]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I never insinuated that you were. The bottom line is that school districts are like businesses in that they compete with each other for new customers, AKA new families. Every district around Nederland has been taking the necessary steps to keep customers coming in. NISD has not. Your tax rate is already incredibly low. It's not unreasonable to pass another bond and raise the tax rate a fraction of a percent in exchange for better facilities and the rewards thereof.

[quote name="The-NHS" post="1013659" timestamp="1306198689"]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1013655#msg1013655 date=1306197032]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just for the record, gerunds end in "ing" over here in Port Neches. ;D ;)

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1013689" timestamp="1306208198"]
[quote author=The-NHS link=topic=84302.msg1013659#msg1013659 date=1306198689]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1013655#msg1013655 date=1306197032]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Ahh yes... The message board grammar police returns. When there is nothing left to be said in return its always fun to breakdown people's sentences on setx.com.

But, when it's time to cut, where do you cut first??

[quote name="td" post="1013633" timestamp="1306186372"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1012382#msg1012382 date=1305772864]
There is not a narrow definition of education.  You know what's important and I know what's important.  And it's NOT a game!!  It's good if you can but it's still a GAME!!!!!

[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1012372#msg1012372 date=1305771953]
I have pretty well answered these questions in the past.  Here goes again:  You keep repairing when something happens.  So my question, as before, why were not the repairs kept up with??  No new taxes.  No new bonds until all questions are answered.  And all effort is put into getting the BEST EDUCATION while efficiently taking care of the tax payers dollars.  And if that means cutting extra-curricular activities, then so be it.  Threats of people moving to other school districts does not phase me.  If there are those that are just there to do extra-curricular activities, then we don't need them!!  I say give me your child, you'll have a safe LEARNING environment.
We'll see to it that your child will get the best education around.  Plus we won't rape you as a tax payer!!
[/quote]

Academia, of course, is the primary focus of any school district. However, that is not all there is to education. Extracurricular activities do something that pure academics cannot. While academic knowledge is incredibly useful, what cannot be taught in the traditional classroom setting in any serious manner are values. Core values and skills such as teamwork, sportsmanship, work ethic, leadership, social behaviors, and other things of that sort simply cannot be imparted to a generation through a pen, paper, and textbook. Those are things that come to students through activities and groups such as the band, drill team, various sports teams, FCCLA, FFA, and National Honors Society. In order to round out and complete an education, those things must be involved. All the knowledge in the world will not help a group of students if they don't know how to act, work together, or accomplish a goal.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name="The-NHS" post="1013697" timestamp="1306212719"]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=84302.msg1013689#msg1013689 date=1306208198]
[quote author=The-NHS link=topic=84302.msg1013659#msg1013659 date=1306198689]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Ahh yes... The message board grammar police returns. When there is nothing left to be said in return its always fun to breakdown people's sentences on setx.com.
[/quote]

You're the one who made the ellipsis comment. ;) :D

[quote name="smitty" post="1013702" timestamp="1306232471"]
[b]But, when it's time to cut, where do you cut first??[/b]

[quote author=td link=topic=84302.msg1013633#msg1013633 date=1306186372]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

NISD has already begun the cuts by trimming personnel costs. You can review the current verses proposed budget for details.

Draining the tax payers? I agree with Bandkid. A low to moderate tax increase is not draining.

So, you see what I'm talking about?  We are in financial difficulties and all we can come up with is cuts in "personal cost?"  How bad does it have to get before cuts are made in extra-curricular activities and not at the expense in what really matters -- teachers?  As long as money is poured into the non-essentials, then no to any tax increases!  There is money there.  Just re-direct it!!  If you don't, bond issues will fail every time!!

[quote name="mat" post="1013711" timestamp="1306238520"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1013702#msg1013702 date=1306232471]
[b]But, when it's time to cut, where do you cut first??[/b]

[quote author=td link=topic=84302.msg1013633#msg1013633 date=1306186372]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

NISD has already begun the cuts by trimming personnel costs. You can review the current verses proposed budget for details.

Draining the tax payers? I agree with Bandkid. A low to moderate tax increase is not draining.
[/quote]

Bonds are passed all the time including at least two local bonds in the most recent election. (None failed)  They may continue to fail in NISD because of narrow minded stingy opposition.

WOC just passed a bond that will among other things allow them to construct a new athletic track. The existing track for their three time State champion track team is not safe enough to even practice on.

According to your view, they should not pass a bond or rebuild the track and cut the track team.

Once again and again and again, in the current economic climate I’m not suggesting a high end bond for all new schools. But a smaller bond to address facility necessities is not unreasonable.

I was mainly talking about bonds in Nederland.  I'll let other taxpayers fight their own battles,,,    ;)
PS -- And you say keep the track team and cut teachers!  Again -- priorities!!

[quote name="mat" post="1013721" timestamp="1306240937"]
Bonds are passed all the time including at least two local bonds in the most recent election. (None failed)  They may continue to fail in NISD because of narrow minded stingy opposition.

WOC just passed a bond that will among other things allow them to construct a new athletic track. The existing track for their three time State champion track team is not safe enough to even practice on.

According to your view, they should not pass a bond or rebuild the track and cut the track team.

Once again and again and again, in the current economic climate I’m not suggesting a high end bond for all new schools. But a smaller bond to address facility necessities is not unreasonable.

[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="1013715" timestamp="1306239421"]
So, you see what I'm talking about?  We are in financial difficulties and all we can come up with is cuts in "personal cost?"  How bad does it have to get before cuts are made in extra-curricular activities and not at the expense in what really matters -- teachers?  As long as money is poured into the non-essentials, then no to any tax increases!  There is money there.  Just re-direct it!!  If you don't, bond issues will fail every time!!
[/quote]

80% of the average school district's budget is wrapped up in salaries and personnel costs. Of course that's where any district would start. Most other districts have looked at RIFs and the few that haven't only dodged the bullet because of retirements.

[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1013745#msg1013745 date=1306245609]
I was mainly talking about bonds in Nederland.  I'll let other taxpayers fight their own battles,,,    ;)
[/quote]

Not to take the focus off of the thread topic, but if that's the case, why have you made such a big deal out of PN-G's bond in the past?

I don't recall making a big deal out of PN-G's bond. 

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1013884" timestamp="1306271575"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1013715#msg1013715 date=1306239421]
[/quote]

80% of the average school district's budget is wrapped up in salaries and personnel costs. Of course that's where any district would start. Most other districts have looked at RIFs and the few that haven't only dodged the bullet because of retirements.

[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1013745#msg1013745 date=1306245609]
I was mainly talking about bonds in Nederland.  I'll let other taxpayers fight their own battles,,,    ;)
[/quote]

Not to take the focus off of the thread topic, but if that's the case, why have you made such a big deal out of PN-G's bond in the past?
[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="1013890" timestamp="1306272959"]
[/quote]

Getting forgetful in your old age, smitty? ;)

[quote author=smitty link=topic=81160.msg976161#msg976161 date=1299147536]
Like I've said before, Superintendents, Principals and HC/AD make WAY too much money.  So, yes, there are areas that could be cut first.  I hear some bright person wants to spend 4.75 million on a gymatorium at CO Wilson.  The problem that has crept in, is that there is no regard for the taxpayers dollars. 
Does one honestly think PNG needed that fancy football stadium??!!  This has happened all across the state.
It doesn't educate one child or make you play better football.  But it does keep the taxpayers scratching their heads!
[/quote]

[quote author=smitty link=topic=82303.msg988993#msg988993 date=1301243558]
I hope you make a ton of money to pay your share of the various taxing entities that are in debt up to their ears because of the SPENDING you say is not bad.  But if you don't mind spending that much on taxes, then I applaud you.  But trust me, I'll be there fighting to let you keep more of your money. Whether you like it or not!  Trust me again, your PN-G stadium would have been one thing I would have fought hard against!  ;)
[/quote]

[quote author=smitty link=topic=81160.msg978900#msg978900 date=1299495532]
OK, 10.3 Million dollars.  That money for that stadium did not educate one child.  School districts are gonna suffer now because of foolish spending.  The old stadium could have been renovated.  But those making the decisions thought they needed a fine fancy stadium.  Taxpayers will be paying for this for a long time. 
Again -- that money did NOT educate one child!!!!  You may have to lay off teachers now because you have not got the money.  But you have a nice stadium.  Priorities, people!  Priorities!!
PS - PN-G bandkid -- How much does your head football coach, Principal, and Superintendent make??  Let's look at some more priorities!!
[/quote]

[quote author=smitty link=topic=81160.msg979167#msg979167 date=1299533518]
Gentlemen, you pay for the bond by raising taxes on the people of Port Neches.  Which in turn taks the ability to continue to raise taxes if needed to hire/keep teachers.  Bond issues are just a round-a-bout way of tax increases.  Someone gonna pay!! 
And bandkid, you said the bond was before the economy problem.  Teaching point:  If school districts had there priorities correct, then no one could look back and say what you said!!  Education first...
[/quote]

http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=81160.0

http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=82303.0

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1013906" timestamp="1306278725"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1013890#msg1013890 date=1306272959]
[/quote]

Getting forgetful in your old age, smitty? ;)

[quote author=smitty link=topic=81160.msg976161#msg976161 date=1299147536]
Like I've said before, Superintendents, Principals and HC/AD make WAY too much money.  So, yes, there are areas that could be cut first.  I hear some bright person wants to spend 4.75 million on a gymatorium at CO Wilson.  The problem that has crept in, is that there is no regard for the taxpayers dollars. 
Does one honestly think PNG needed that fancy football stadium??!!  This has happened all across the state.
It doesn't educate one child or make you play better football.  But it does keep the taxpayers scratching their heads!
[/quote]

[quote author=smitty link=topic=82303.msg988993#msg988993 date=1301243558]
I hope you make a ton of money to pay your share of the various taxing entities that are in debt up to their ears because of the SPENDING you say is not bad.  But if you don't mind spending that much on taxes, then I applaud you.  But trust me, I'll be there fighting to let you keep more of your money. Whether you like it or not!  Trust me again, your PN-G stadium would have been one thing I would have fought hard against!   ;)
[/quote]

[quote author=smitty link=topic=81160.msg978900#msg978900 date=1299495532]
OK, 10.3 Million dollars.  That money for that stadium did not educate one child.  School districts are gonna suffer now because of foolish spending.  The old stadium could have been renovated.  But those making the decisions thought they needed a fine fancy stadium.  Taxpayers will be paying for this for a long time. 
Again -- that money did NOT educate one child!!!!  You may have to lay off teachers now because you have not got the money.  But you have a nice stadium.  Priorities, people!  Priorities!!
PS - PN-G bandkid -- How much does your head football coach, Principal, and Superintendent make??  Let's look at some more priorities!!
[/quote]

[quote author=smitty link=topic=81160.msg979167#msg979167 date=1299533518]
Gentlemen, you pay for the bond by raising taxes on the people of Port Neches.  Which in turn taks the ability to continue to raise taxes if needed to hire/keep teachers.  Bond issues are just a round-a-bout way of tax increases.  Someone gonna pay!! 
And bandkid, you said the bond was before the economy problem.  Teaching point:  If school districts had there priorities correct, then no one could look back and say what you said!!  Education first...
[/quote]

http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=81160.0

http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=82303.0
[/quote]

Touche

Guest The-NHS
Smitty, ok thats fine.. Lets cut athletics and all extra curricular activities totally out of the budget. Guess what, we still need new facilities. This doesn't solve anything. Great idea.

LOL!!!!      ::)

[quote name="dawgnut" post="1013939" timestamp="1306289543"]
The reason smitty wants to cut sports is because he doesn't like the DC and if it takes getting rid of all sports to get him then he is for it!
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder