2 Pro-Bonders Fall!!

Well one thing fir sure, you are consistent kool-aid drinker.  Your only solution is to raise taxes.  Not a tough decision there!!

[quote name="The-NHS" post="1016943" timestamp="1307420418"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1016933#msg1016933 date=1307416686]
When some people can't understand something they use names like, well, mediocrity.  Stick around and learn.  Take the "status qua" blinders off and stop drinking the kool-aid.  There are serious problems here.  You "stay the course" answers don't work anymore!!      ::)      ;)

[quote author=The-NHS link=topic=84302.msg1016898#msg1016898 date=1307409099]
This thread makes me want to
[img]http://mydzyne.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/banging-head-on-wall.jpg%3Fw%3D400%26h%3D300[/img]

Smitty's small minded/acceptance of mediocrity
[img]http://jamiegaymon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Banging-Head-against-wall.jpg[/img]

PNGbandkid's 964 attempts at hijacking the thread into a png celebration
[img]http://www.smisolutions.com/images/head-guy1r.png[/img]

[/quote]
[/quote]

"staying the course" is your stance not mine. The current course is slipping schools and crappy facilities. Im not on that course with you. Nice try though. You're right, there are serious problems here and small minded, mediocre content people like yourself have no solution to fix the problems. Keep on drinking that kool aid you speak of that thinks cutting athletics and hiring more people to clean the crap from toilets, patch up failing roofs, tinker on window units, and paint the halls is going to fix the problems. You're out of touch with the needs of NISD and your solution would only cripple our school district.   
[/quote]

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not saying the two students are liars bandkid. Im just telling you what the real qualifications are, as someone who help set those regulations and carried them out, and not some passer by that spread a rumor they heard from another student. It happens all the time in school, its called gossip. Some kids don't even know they're spreading rumors, but think its the honest truth. Also, not that it matters, but I graduated 4th in my class and went on to graduate college on the dean's list which would throw me in there as an honor student, and yet, I have lied on occasion. Not perfect, no one is, just something that happens when 1500 students talk while passing by each other. But I say let it drop, maybe they thought thats what got people in and maybe that year a lot got in and it was assumed thats why, who knows? On another note, smitty, just because someone has an opinion other than yours doesn't mean they are drinking the "kool aid" or whatever. Passing a bond is not the end of the world. Typically, most bonds only add very little monthly to the taxes and are a great [u]Investment[/u] in our schools future. You can't build a $30 million school by cutting a budget that is slightly higher than that. Our district has made cuts in all areas this year and last, with a promise of more to come. We have lost coaching positions, charter buses, teachers who retired and were not filling positions, budgets all around. So its getting to the point where there is not much else to cut. So find another solution and quit saying cut an athletic budget that combined between all schools would only hire a couple teachers, not build a school.

[quote name="sandman86" post="1016965" timestamp="1307456960"]
Im not saying the two students are liars bandkid. Im just telling you what the real qualifications are, as someone who help set those regulations and carried them out, and not some passer by that spread a rumor they heard from another student. It happens all the time in school, its called gossip. Some kids don't even know they're spreading rumors, but think its the honest truth. Also, not that it matters, but I graduated 4th in my class and went on to graduate college on the dean's list which would throw me in there as an honor student, and yet, I have lied on occasion. Not perfect, no one is, just something that happens when 1500 students talk while passing by each other. But I say let it drop, maybe they thought thats what got people in and maybe that year a lot got in and it was assumed thats why, who knows?[/quote]

Right....

[quote]
On another note, smitty, just because someone has an opinion other than yours doesn't mean they are drinking the "kool aid" or whatever. Passing a bond is not the end of the world. Typically, most bonds only add very little monthly to the taxes and are a great [u]Investment[/u] in our schools future. You can't build a $30 million school by cutting a budget that is slightly higher than that. Our district has made cuts in all areas this year and last, with a promise of more to come. We have lost coaching positions, charter buses, teachers who retired and were not filling positions, budgets all around. So its getting to the point where there is not much else to cut. So find another solution and quit saying cut an athletic budget that combined between all schools would only hire a couple teachers, not build a school.
[/quote]

If anyone's drinking anything, it's smitty. ;D

[quote name="smitty" post="1016931" timestamp="1307416456"]
Can't ever depend on the government.  You should know that.  I was talking, though, about insurance.

[quote author=dawgnut link=topic=84302.msg1016906#msg1016906 date=1307411335]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84302.msg1016891#msg1016891 date=1307406481]
After Rita came to town.  We have insurance, don't we?

[quote author=dawgnut link=topic=84302.msg1016685#msg1016685 date=1307328106]
[quote author=KDOSullivan link=topic=84302.msg1016523#msg1016523 date=1307274851]
[i]Another factor is teacher participation. NHS teachers, for one reason or another, do not seem to sponsor as much outside of the classroom as they could. I remember a conversation with a now retired PN-G teacher in which I asked why Nederland didn't bring as many students to academic competitions as other local schools and his reply was that there just weren't enough Nederland teachers willing to sponsor the different academic events. That shocked me. I was amazed at the fact that Nederland couldn't get enough teachers to volunteer as most of the other schools in our district. I mean no offense to any Nederland faculty members because there are several good, dedicated teachers in NISD, but that, in my opinion, is deplorable. When the teachers won't participate, the problem isn't funding. A simple modification to the teacher contracts could fix that.[/i]

That one sort of shocks me. Maybe it is because I was at a small school, but I and most other teachers were involved in extracurricular activities.  I know this year, knowing I was retiring, I gave up somethings, but I was still a senior sponsor, helped organize graduation,  helped and planned with the homecoming parade, helped, planned the Christmas Formal, and then coached 3 UIL academic teams. One of the things I will miss about teaching will be the kids outside of class. Those in UIL Academics, those kids who worked to help set up dances and parades, and those are not just the "nerds." Maybe it is a small school, but we had athletes, band kids, those in FFA all work because they wanted a good dance or parade.

The modification of the contract might be difficult. If these events are held on weekends, it is sort of hard to force them to do so. Teachers are only paid for 187 days. Part of your problem might be you are not hiring the right people? I know some of the younger people that my former district has hired are reluctant to do anything extra. Part of concern about retiring was " who is going to pick up some of the extra jobs I did for the district?"
[/quote]

Don't kick the teachers to hard, most people don't know and some just don't care but NISD has had budget problems from the day that the ugly old lady Rita came to town. NISD had to spend a lot of money on several schools that FEMA promised to reimburse. It took several years to get a portion of the money back. When you keep reducing the budget a lot of things get reduced such as out of school activities. It cost money to run busses and such. Then you have the problem of escalating maintenance cost. Some very wealthy people in Nederland would have you believe that all you need to do is increase your maintenance budget and all will be well, another dream without foundation. Everything on this earth has a life, buildings included. After they have reached the end of life it cost more to maintain them than to build a new one. When you don't have any money the only way to increase the maintenance budget is to reduce your payroll, or you could pass a bond and build a new school and reduce your maintenance budget because you don't need as much with new buildings. But then according to smitty that's totally illogical!

Besides parents not putting much weight on education these days, the American Spirit appears to be dead, if John Paul Jones were here today he would probably something like "your right there are a lot of torpedoes in the water, and those British ships are kind of big and ugly looking, let's get out of here and look for a better day to fight." The right time to do anything is now. If you wait for the weather to be right you will never plant, and if you don't plant you can't harvest.
[/quote]
[/quote]

smitty for someone who has all the answers you ask the wrong questions. In 2010 that's 5 years after Rita NISD was still waiting on a $772,000 reimbursement from the government. They carried a $274,000 deficit the same year. For all the anti-bond crowed that thinks you can just increase your maintenance budget to fix all the buildings it makes it kind of hard when you have a deficit. Maybe we can get the graphic arts department to print some money up, what do you think? You and the "Don't Care" crowd don't want any new taxes or bonds so that may be the only out of the box thing we can do, after all the Feds do it! Oh wait lets just do nothing and wait until the price of money doubles or triples and the price of buildings go up, now that's a good use of your money.
[/quote]
[/quote]

smitty, insurance doesn't cover everything! A lot of home owners found out after Rita that homeowners insurance didn't cover fencing, and businesses found out that it didn't cover signage. Schools found out that it didn't cover a lot of stuff also and when the Government tells you they will take up the slack and then they take 5 years to do it, it kind of takes a lot of slack out of your budget.

I am familiar with Nederland ISD, and they are going to soon rather than later need to pass a bond. There are buildings in pretty poor shape in the district. I know Smitty thinks this isn't so, but I have been to meetings in some of their schools in recent years and they need some work.
Look, I taught for years at a school that had a light pole between the visitor's side and the football field at the 50 yard line. Heck, they were proud of it being there. Will they eventually need a new football field? Sure. But right now, the light pole stays. The high school I taught in has parts built during the Truman  Administration. The district is going to have to look seriously at either a new school or a total refurbishment. It's coming. Everyone knows it, they are just waiting until the economy gets better. ( And the way it looks it might be a bit longer than expected.)
Look Smitty, no one wants to pay more taxes, but eventually NISD will need a bond or you can do what old Orange ISD did, declare yourself broke and let PAISD or BISD take over.

;D

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1016970" timestamp="1307459507"]
[quote author=sandman86 link=topic=84302.msg1016965#msg1016965 date=1307456960]
Im not saying the two students are liars bandkid. Im just telling you what the real qualifications are, as someone who help set those regulations and carried them out, and not some passer by that spread a rumor they heard from another student. It happens all the time in school, its called gossip. Some kids don't even know they're spreading rumors, but think its the honest truth. Also, not that it matters, but I graduated 4th in my class and went on to graduate college on the dean's list which would throw me in there as an honor student, and yet, I have lied on occasion. Not perfect, no one is, just something that happens when 1500 students talk while passing by each other. But I say let it drop, maybe they thought thats what got people in and maybe that year a lot got in and it was assumed thats why, who knows?[/quote]

Right....

[quote]
On another note, smitty, just because someone has an opinion other than yours doesn't mean they are drinking the "kool aid" or whatever. Passing a bond is not the end of the world. Typically, most bonds only add very little monthly to the taxes and are a great [u]Investment[/u] in our schools future. You can't build a $30 million school by cutting a budget that is slightly higher than that. Our district has made cuts in all areas this year and last, with a promise of more to come. We have lost coaching positions, charter buses, teachers who retired and were not filling positions, budgets all around. So its getting to the point where there is not much else to cut. So find another solution and quit saying cut an athletic budget that combined between all schools would only hire a couple teachers, not build a school.
[/quote]

If anyone's drinking anything, it's smitty. ;D
[/quote]

And you can't fix monkey-see monkey-do, kool-aid drinkers that got us in this situation in the first place.  Always wanting to continue business as usual while things were happening.  Now it's crunch time and the kool-aid drinkers don't know what to do.  Except the typical and easy battle cry -- RAISE TAXES!!   

[quote name="Penny" post="1017172" timestamp="1307505826"]
I guess ol Ron was right.... YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID.
[/quote]

Wrong again smitty, the last bond proposal would have built new schools and lowered taxes. It's you who refuses to accept facts because they don't fit into your talking points. You and your spokes model Bruney need to come up with new talking points, the old ones are getting worn pretty thin.

That is Smiitys point he can't think for himself. I will be glad to pay more taxes if new schools are built with energy efficent, high tech classrooms. Smitty thinks he gonna take that money with him when he dies(Good Luck lol). Ned has excellent teachers and students that need excellent schools. Smitty open your eyes and your mind and look at almost every school district around big or small and they are building new schools. Take adrive anywhere around this state and you will see that s a fact that can't be disputed. Oh before you say no not all school districts are  but a majority are. I am proud as a PN-G graduate of the schools they have built and I won.t lie Iwould love to see my son play and beat those Indians on a new Nederland field but hey that can wait , but the schools are needed and if you had to pay with them with more taxes so be it . The future Ned students  deserve to have the best Period.

Don't you think you should have significant cuts before raising taxes?  Tell us about all the significant cuts that's been made so far!  
PS -- The original title was 2 Pro-Bonder fall.  It should have read "3 pro-bonders."  The ex Superintendent lost.  She was a BIG pro-bonder...    ;)
PSS - You sound like you like keeping up with the Jones, instead of doing the right things...      ::)

[quote name="phunter308" post="1017981" timestamp="1307841970"]
That is Smiitys point he can't think for himself. I will be glad to pay more taxes if new schools are built with energy efficent, high tech classrooms. Smitty thinks he gonna take that money with him when he dies(Good Luck lol). Ned has excellent teachers and students that need excellent schools. Smitty open your eyes and your mind and look at almost every school district around big or small and they are building new schools. Take adrive anywhere around this state and you will see that s a fact that can't be disputed. Oh before you say no not all school districts are  but a majority are. I am proud as a PN-G graduate of the schools they have built and I won.t lie Iwould love to see my son play and beat those Indians on a new Nederland field but hey that can wait , but the schools are needed and if you had to pay with them with more taxes so be it . The future Ned students  deserve to have the best Period.
[/quote]

smitty you just keep up with the talking points, you and Bruney have a hot line? If you would take the time to do a little research you would know that in the school year 01-02 the tax rate was 1.53, in the school year 10-11 the tax rate was 1.113. I guess these numbers just don't fit into you FUD so you don't use them. But then again you really don't want cuts, what you really want to do is stop progress. You don't care about the schools any more than the rest of the "CARE" group, what you care about is your own assets that's all.

Smitty  30 + years of no new schools is a real big cut ,sacrifice or is it you do not have any facts to back up your bullsht. Everyone on here including people from other schools have shown that Nederland is in need of new facilities. The poor shape of the schools speak for them selves no disputing that. is it as you call it keeping up with the jones that our schools are in the shape they are. No throwing millions on repairs for a couple more years of life is not the answer. That would be like givn you a facelift but still the same bullsht keeps comn out and you wont live no longer. They have served thier just time and the citzens have got thier moneys worth for sure. I know nothing will change your outlook but I am reall interested in where you think cuts can be made ,specific cuts, and the dollar values of those cuts. I have yet in all the bullsht you tell any solutions. Give them to us so I can see where they can be made. I hope you can answer this truly without answering with a question. Try really hard please. I think our kids deserve the best no matter what. One day they may be the kids who decide what goes on in your life.

Guest The-NHS
Yes! I am so glad someone revived this thread so that we can read smitty's intelligent response. The way he answers questions with questions is so meaningful, helpful, and intelligent.

Guys I mean come on. We got to cut athletics saving 1.7 million. We also got to cut busing kids to school. Buses are expensive! I mean just think of all the money Nederland would have if we cut those two things for 10 years! We would drop to 2A which would allow us to shutdown schools and layoff teachers! I mean we would easily have 40 million saved up by then! Maybe we could then hire more maintenance personnel? We could also replace all the old window units with new ones that are remote control! Smitty, maybe you were on to something! This slashing programs thing really does work. Surely with our new window units and more personnel to to patch all the holes in the roof we would bring in quality parents and kids to our school? This new nederland utopia that you have enlightened me with may make me realize I am not worthy to live in such a positive and investing city. When's the next CARE meeting?? Can't wait to go and make this city better for future generations! Vote no on the next bond to save the kids!!! Do it or Bruney will make me come up with lies, propaganda, and fear mongering to make you vote no! But you should know already to vote no because NEDERLAND LOVES ITS STUDENTS!

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="dawgnut" post="1018356" timestamp="1308017472"]
;D
[/quote]

Dawgnut, think about it. Everything is so much more clear to me now. It all makes sense.

You'll have to try something else.  I don't even know Bruney.  But if he's says what i say, then he MUST make sense!!    ;D

[quote name="dawgnut" post="1018076" timestamp="1307913511"]
smitty you just keep up with the talking points, you and Bruney have a hot line? If you would take the time to do a little research you would know that in the school year 01-02 the tax rate was 1.53, in the school year 10-11 the tax rate was 1.113. I guess these numbers just don't fit into you FUD so you don't use them. But then again you really don't want cuts, what you really want to do is stop progress. You don't care about the schools any more than the rest of the "CARE" group, what you care about is your own assets that's all.
[/quote]

Let me ask you one thing:  Did you figure out what your cost of the bond would have been and every year sent NISD a check for that amount?  We'll wait for your response!!    :-\

[quote name="The-NHS" post="1018351" timestamp="1308016704"]
Yes! I am so glad someone revived this thread so that we can read smitty's intelligent response. The way he answers questions with questions is so meaningful, helpful, and intelligent.

Guys I mean come on. We got to cut athletics saving 1.7 million. We also got to cut busing kids to school. Buses are expensive! I mean just think of all the money Nederland would have if we cut those two things for 10 years! We would drop to 2A which would allow us to shutdown schools and layoff teachers! I mean we would easily have 40 million saved up by then! Maybe we could then hire more maintenance personnel? We could also replace all the old window units with new ones that are remote control! Smitty, maybe you were on to something! This slashing programs thing really does work. Surely with our new window units and more personnel to to patch all the holes in the roof we would bring in quality parents and kids to our school? This new nederland utopia that you have enlightened me with may make me realize I am not worthy to live in such a positive and investing city. When's the next CARE meeting?? Can't wait to go and make this city better for future generations! Vote no on the next bond to save the kids!!! Do it or Bruney will make me come up with lies, propaganda, and fear mongering to make you vote no! But you should know already to vote no because NEDERLAND LOVES ITS STUDENTS!
[/quote]

So, there hasn't been any cuts.  I think you just admitted to that.  So you take the easy solution and just raise taxes!!  No guts there!!    ;)

[quote name="phunter308" post="1018108" timestamp="1307925906"]
Smitty  30 + years of no new schools is a real big cut ,sacrifice or is it you do not have any facts to back up your bullsht. Everyone on here including people from other schools have shown that Nederland is in need of new facilities. The poor shape of the schools speak for them selves no disputing that. is it as you call it keeping up with the jones that our schools are in the shape they are. No throwing millions on repairs for a couple more years of life is not the answer. That would be like givn you a facelift but still the same bullsht keeps comn out and you wont live no longer. They have served thier just time and the citzens have got thier moneys worth for sure. I know nothing will change your outlook but I am reall interested in where you think cuts can be made ,specific cuts, and the dollar values of those cuts. I have yet in all the bullsht you tell any solutions. Give them to us so I can see where they can be made. I hope you can answer this truly without answering with a question. Try really hard please. I think our kids deserve the best no matter what. One day they may be the kids who decide what goes on in your life.
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder