What Qualities Needed For The New Hamshire Fannett Basketball Coach ?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bball11" post="980160" timestamp="1299699903"]
HF needs a discpline and hard working coach that will help the kids later on in life but also help them on the basketball court if fannett wants to be successful then they have to be discpline on that basketball court and do the little things right to win those big district games. Blocking out, taking charges, giving up your body and buying in to what the coach is trying to do!!!!
[/quote]Excellent points!!!!!!!! :-*

[quote name="Someone's Dad" post="980345" timestamp="1299726706"]
Damien Bates - Assistant Varsity Basketball Coach at Goose Creek Memorial. He coached under former HF basketball coach Jeff Keener. He is a good x's and o's guy who is a take charge kind of guy. Parents might not like it, because they won't have input which can be a problem at HF. He is very organized and regimented. He is also strong on discipline. He has the fire that HF needs.
[/quote]This parent will like it.

[quote name="ford15" post="980364" timestamp="1299729087"]

Thick skin!!
[/quote]Okay, I see where you are taking this ;) As I have said before, I thought HF just didn't have a lot of talent and the coach was working with what he had there. I saw two varsity games last year and made that assessment. At the beginning of this season I had an open mind and watched the Freshmen, JV and Varsity games. The varsity had more talent than I realized. Not great talent but enough talent to challenge for a third spot in their district. I didn't say win but challenge for the third spot. As far as thick skin, maybe the coach will need it to run his basketball program the way he sees fit to run it. But don't try and blame the parents for recognizing obvious flawes on the court. Personally, I hope HF gets a coach that instills discipline on that team and really believes he can win no matter what team he plays. So if a coach needs thick skin to instill discipline in his team....he don't need to be coaching. ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="980428" timestamp="1299768431"]
[quote author=ford15 link=topic=81494.msg980364#msg980364 date=1299729087]

Thick skin!!
[/quote]Okay, I see where you are taking this ;) As I have said before, I thought HF just didn't have a lot of talent and the coach was working with what he had there. I saw two varsity games last year and made that assessment. At the beginning of this season I had an open mind and watched the Freshmen, JV and Varsity games. The varsity had more talent than I realized. Not great talent but enough talent to challenge for a third spot in their district. I didn't say win but challenge for the third spot. As far as thick skin, maybe the coach will need it to run his basketball program the way he sees fit to run it. But don't try and blame the parents for recognizing obvious flawes on the court. Personally, I hope HF gets a coach that instills discipline on that team and really believes he can win no matter what team he plays. So if a coach needs thick skin to instill discipline in his team....he don't need to be coaching. ;)
[/quote]

Hey, Dove, you may want to check with your next door neighbor. He coached basketball before, including some at HF from what I remember. I see his house is still for sale so maybe you could get him as the basketball coach?

As a coach,If you put your best team on the court and coach them and enhance the talents of your so called lesser players(less talented).Thats what a coaches job is ,he should field the best and enhance the rest to get best out of every player in the program.That is the quality, that every parent wants for every player in this program.

Guest jettyman
This statement is not not intended to create controversy but awareness.  Without a doubt, the world is a imperfect environment, therefore, our children need to be prepared to deal with adversity and less than ideal situations.

School and athletics are a practice for the real world that lies beyond school and sports (employment). As a former coach and a current educator I have diligently tried to instill the following qualities in my kids: Integrity, Humbleness, Loyalty, give a 100% and never give up.

Also, as a parent I have tried to always back the teacher or coach even if the situation is less than ideal.  On the other hand, if I thought my sons health were in jeopardy I would immediately intervene. Otherwise, I advise my kids to respect authority and if they thought it was bad enough go speak with the coach or teacher themselves.

I have many times bitten my tongue enduring a long season. Consequently, I truly believe if I publicly or at home bashed the coach or teacher then my sons would never respect that individual. If respect is never established then there will be conflict which results in hard feelings then discontent.

Life lesson: If my son goes to work and he is unhappy with his boss for whatever reasons, he has been taught there are 2 options: Find employment elsewhere or endure, adapt and conform.

It does not take a legend for our kids to be winners. If they give their best ,learn to adapt, no matter the situation they will be better in long run.

In conclusion, be careful for what wish for because change does not always guarantee happiness.

Bluedove, I have heard that you are a very good person but I feel the need to stand for our profession. No hard feelings and I hope to meet in person and have meaningful conversation.

[quote name="jettyman" post="981334" timestamp="1299878643"]
This statement is not not intended to create controversy but awareness.  Without a doubt, the world is a imperfect environment, therefore, our children need to be prepared to deal with adversity and less than ideal situations.

School and athletics are a practice for the real world that lies beyond school and sports (employment). As a former coach and a current educator I have diligently tried to instill the following qualities in my kids: Integrity, Humbleness, Loyalty, give a 100% and never give up.

Also, as a parent I have tried to always back the teacher or coach even if the situation is less than ideal.  On the other hand, if I thought my sons health were in jeopardy I would immediately intervene. Otherwise, I advise my kids to respect authority and if they thought it was bad enough go speak with the coach or teacher themselves.

I have many times bitten my tongue enduring a long season. Consequently, I truly believe if I publicly or at home bashed the coach or teacher then my sons would never respect that individual. If respect is never established then there will be conflict which results in hard feelings then discontent.

Life lesson: If my son goes to work and he is unhappy with his boss for whatever reasons, he has been taught there are 2 options: [b]Find employment elsewhere[/b] or endure, adapt and conform.

It does not take a legend for our kids to be winners. If they give their best ,learn to adapt, no matter the situation they will be better in long run.

In conclusion, be careful for what wish for because change does not always guarantee happiness.

Bluedove, I have heard that you are a very good person but I feel the need to stand for our profession. No hard feelings and I hope to meet in person and have meaningful conversation.
[/quote]

jetty i agree with MOST of what you're saying, especially, to paraphrase, "the devil you know" aspect. but there comes a time when you'd rather take a chance with the devil you don't know. in real life people DO have the option of finding different employment if they can't cope with their boss, or perhaps address the situation with HIS boss. but kids can't really do that at school so it puts them in somewhat of an unfair disadvantage. thats why it's incumbent on the administrations to make wise choices about who handles our children in the first place. i'm speaking in generalities as you were, i'm not calling a particular coach "the devil" or saying anybody was doing a bad job.

you're right kids do need to learn to adapt and "conform" (to a lesser degree), but there are limits, and again they don't really have the option of "shopping around". people shouldn't have to uproot their lives and families to get away from a bad situation, in fact, UIL specifically regulates that....just saying.

[quote name="jettyman" post="981334" timestamp="1299878643"]

School and athletics are a practice for the real world that lies beyond school and sports (employment). As a former coach and a current educator I have diligently tried to instill the following qualities in my kids: Integrity, Humbleness, Loyalty, give a 100% and [color=red]never give up.[/color]

Life lesson: If my son goes to work and he is unhappy with his boss for whatever reasons, he has been taught there are 2 options: Find employment elsewhere or endure, adapt and conform.

[/quote]yep

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder