What Qualities Needed For The New Hamshire Fannett Basketball Coach ?

Dove, it is either a 50 minute period or an 1 1/2 if you are on block schedule.  Depends on the organization of classes.  I have only seen it these two ways.  You may have a freshman athletic period and then a regular athletic period, but I have seen it both ways.  Most schools do not go with the block scheduling which is 1 1/2 in length with a 4 period day.  Most go with 8 periods of 50 minutes.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bluedove...

Lets say the new coach came in and was able to persuade the AD to allow him to work the kids out in a different way.  That different way is this...

Basketball players who do not play football will be strongly encouraged to run cross country.  They will use the after school cross country workouts to lift on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and do plyos and conditioning on Tuesday/Thursday. The players will be required to run in some of the cross country meets in order not to go agains UIL rules. This would allow the full athletic period to be used for basketball skill and fundamental development.

As a parent, do you think this would be supported by the basketball players and parents of the players? 

[quote name="HowdyMan" post="992580" timestamp="1301928809"]
Bluedove...

Lets say the new coach came in and was able to persuade the AD to allow him to work the kids out in a different way.  That different way is this...

Basketball players who do not play football will be strongly encouraged to run cross country.  They will use the after school cross country workouts to lift on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and do plyos and conditioning on Tuesday/Thursday. The players will be required to run in some of the cross country meets in order not to go agains UIL rules. This would allow the full athletic period to be used for basketball skill and fundamental development.

As a parent, do you think this would be supported by the basketball players and parents of the players? 
[/quote]

Would this be how you would like to handle it, coach? ;) ;D

Welcome to the site.

HowdyMan, that is what most basketball coaches want to do with their basketball players.  I dont understand why the AD will not let them do this.  I would think the kid should be able to choose which athletic period he wants to attend.  If the kid is a basketball first guy, then he should be able to go to basketball offseason everyday.  I played football in 7th and 8th grade, I didnt play and had no intention of playing my HS years, but at the school I was at they had us doing mat drills and weights. It wasnt long before dad had plans to move. We had put too much time in with AAU and basketball skill work to not have the opportunity to do that at school. We stayed another year and tried to work with them but they wouldnt and alot of people in town still hold a grudge to this day because I left.  It wasnt because I wanted to leave, it was because I wasnt givin the choice.  Let the kid choose what he wants to do, his effort is going to support his motives.

[quote name="HowdyMan" post="992580" timestamp="1301928809"]
Bluedove...

[/quote]Running cross-country? Westbury Christian School is looking better and better.  ::)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="992604" timestamp="1301930945"]
[quote author=HowdyMan link=topic=81494.msg992580#msg992580 date=1301928809]
Bluedove...

[/quote]Running cross-country? Westbury Christian School is looking better and better.  ::)
[/quote]

By all means....

Great point on the cc dove, however at our school they are not in athletics.  We have UOS and it is the most frustrating thing I have ever come across.  Even BC has a basketball class.  My son was talking about how bad the workouts are and by that I mean it is the same workout day after day and stuff that does not have anything to do with skill development just about football development.

Guest speechless
yall are failing to see the benefits of running cross country

during the fall coaches cannot work with their players outside of school hours so...

if they are members of the cross country team then they can get all of their conditioning and strength training after school with the cross country team

and during the basketball period all they have to worry about is basketball skill when the coach can actually coach them

it is a win-win for everyone

cross country has more participants and thus a better program and the basketball players get in shape and get stronger without sacrificing court time to do it

[quote name="speechless" post="992616" timestamp="1301931858"]

during the fall coaches cannot work with their players outside of school hours so...

if they are members of the cross country team then they can get all of their conditioning and strength training after school with the cross country team

and during the basketball period all they have to worry about is basketball skill when the coach can actually coach them

cross country has more participants and thus a better program and the basketball players get in shape and get stronger without sacrificing court time to do it
[/quote]Nothing against cross country but I've developed an off season program developing  "quick feet" along with conditioning geared towards basketball. Basketball movement is all about stop & starting, quick bursts, lateral movements, moving your feet, etc. Cross country? No thanks! The time spent running 30 minutes, a player could have practiced on 500 shots.

Dove...

They will not be running 30 minutes which develops slow twitch muscle fibers, which we all know doesn't develop basketball players.  They will be doing plyos, sprints, dots, cones, etc which develops the fast twitch muscle fibers.  The player will be put through a 30-45 minute workout followed by open gym for shooting. 

Doing this allows the full athletic period to be used for basketball skill work such as:

Monday-Individual Offensive Development
Tuesday- Team Offensive Development
Wednesday- Individual Defensive Development
Thursday- Team Defensive Development
Friday- Scrimmage

If the players choose not to do the "Cross Country" workout then the period will have to be sacrificed for weights/conditioning.  Like someone said earlier....the coach can not work with players at all after school before or after basketball season.  This is the best way for the coach to work on basketball skill work while getting in weights/plyos.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="992623" timestamp="1301932533"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=81494.msg992616#msg992616 date=1301931858]

[/quote]Nothing against cross country but I've developed an off season program developing  "quick feet" along with conditioning geared towards basketball. Basketball movement is all about stop & starting, quick bursts, lateral movements, moving your feet, etc. Cross country? No thanks! The time spent running 30 minutes, a player could have practiced on 500 shots.
[/quote]Dove, I see trouble ahead with the powers that be...lol

[quote name="HowdyMan" post="992625" timestamp="1301932869"]
Dove...

They will not be running 30 minutes which develops slow twitch muscle fibers, which we all know doesn't develop basketball players.  They will be doing plyos, sprints, dots, cones, etc which develops the fast twitch muscle fibers.  The player will be put through a 30-45 minute workout followed by open gym for shooting.  

Doing this allows the full athletic period to be used for basketball skill work such as:

Monday-Individual Offensive Development
Tuesday- Team Offensive Development
Wednesday- Individual Defensive Development
Thursday- Team Defensive Development
Friday- Scrimmage

If the players choose not to do the "Cross Country" workout then the period will have to be sacrificed for weights/conditioning.  Like someone said earlier....the coach can not work with players at all after school before or after basketball season.  This is the best way for the coach to work on basketball skill work while getting in weights/plyos.
[/quote]

All that fast twitch, slow twitch stuff sounds very good.  However, at the end of the game, I want the guy who takes that last shot to have spent most of his time repeating that shot and am less interested in how big his muscles are.  Oh, and by the way, I submit that having been in cross country makes one heck of a difference toward the end of the game from an endurance standpoint.

Guest speechless
[quote]Nothing against cross country but I've developed an off season program developing  "quick feet" along with conditioning geared towards basketball. Basketball movement is all about stop & starting, quick bursts, lateral movements, moving your feet, etc. Cross country? No thanks! The time spent running 30 minutes, a player could have practiced on 500 shots.[/quote]

this post begs a couple of questions/statements:

1.  said player can get those 500 shots up during the 1 hour of uninterrupted gym time that they now have each day because they are doing their weights and conditioning after school

2.  basketball is about speed, burst, quickness, but, it is also about endurance....at least if you wanna run and gun and press like we do

3.  cross country workouts are made up of sprint work and agility just as much as they are distance

4.  something that distance running does develop is mental toughness....and I saw several players this year that could really use a little mental toughness

5.  "You" developed a plan?  perhaps you are an application away from solving all of hf's problems?

[quote name="speechless" post="992631" timestamp="1301933188"]
[quote]Nothing against cross country but I've developed an off season program developing  "quick feet" along with conditioning geared towards basketball. Basketball movement is all about stop & starting, quick bursts, lateral movements, moving your feet, etc. Cross country? No thanks! The time spent running 30 minutes, a player could have practiced on 500 shots.[/quote]

this post begs a couple of questions/statements:

1.  said player can get those 500 shots up during the 1 hour of uninterrupted gym time that they now have each day because they are doing their weights and conditioning after school

2.  basketball is about speed, burst, quickness, but, it is also about endurance....at least if you wanna run and gun and press like we do

3.  cross country workouts are made up of sprint work and agility just as much as they are distance

4.  something that distance running does develop is mental toughness....and I saw several players this year that could really use a little mental toughness

5.  "You" developed a plan?  perhaps you are an application away from solving all of hf's problems?
[/quote]You can sit and type on your screen all day about distance running. Good! Yates' High run all day to get in shape and thats good for the program they have instituted.  Their players are in good shape but are not very good skillful players. ;)

Guest speechless
So Yates' players last year were not skilled?  Hmmmm...what 3 or 4 DI signees??

You referred to a "program they instituted"....is that a shot at their "system"? 

As for typing about cross country.....you are failing to see the point despite the number of times it has been explained to you.....of course, what would I know??

You need all of the above qualties.  Skills, endurance, weights.  Everyone has different opinions on how much of one or the other.
I agree with both of you, Dove, I see your point, there is alot of talk and coaches going away from cross country in the sense you are thinking.  I dont think you need 3 miles of running.  I think for conditioning you should not go over a mile to a mile and half.  I know this is not conducive for cross country meets.  I think alot of 100 meter, 200 meter, 400 meter, 800 meter, and end with a mile to 2 miles at the most.  You will get the endurance that stevenash is talking about.  Some coaches like to push 3 miles and over, some even to 8-10 miles.  I think that is a little much, but I have not researched it so I cant validate it.
Skills are first, get what ever skills you want to develop in as a top priority.  The premise of putting them in "cross country" is so that you can teach them every skill you want during the period.
Weights and endurance are second and can be developed together doing alot of the same things.  

Cross Country helps the cross country runner...Shape, alot of basketball gets you in basketball shape! the question is,simple, where is the best program in the area to help a kid reach his potential? UOS, dinosaurs!!!!!!!!!!!! Fast twitch, skill development, competition, outside opprotunities, etc. if you've played it, you know how to get there..........it's called a gym friend, spend some quality time in there and see what happens!!!!! Crazy huh.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="992652" timestamp="1301935653"]
Dove, seeing that you are not employed at HF nor intend to be employed at HF, makes your "plan" irrelevant to HF.

Maybe you should home school your two sons and just strictly play AAU. ;)
[/quote]Nah, I'm just having fun with you guys.  HF players will lift weights year round, run cross-country 8-10 miles during off season and we'll kick Silsbee's team this upcoming year anyway. We will be right on schedule as predicted 2 years ago. ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476