What Qualities Needed For The New Hamshire Fannett Basketball Coach ?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="989246" timestamp="1301325703"]
:D I had to write two notes this morning explaining that my senior high kid need a break from the weights for a week and the middle schooler should not be doing knee bends. The knee bend directions came from a very qualified personal trianer out of Houston. ;) I really don't mind the weight lifting but in moderation with very active student-athletes.
[/quote]

From what I understand, mom/dad notes are only good for one day, might need a DOCTOR to take a look at your sons; not a "very qualified trainer"  ::)    Basketball has been over for a little over a month and a half at HF.  There is no MODERATION after the sport is no longer in season and the athlete is not playing any other sport!  UOS as stevie refers to it, KILL 'EM, KILL 'EM ALL  :D

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="killingmesmalls" post="989596" timestamp="1301371490"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=81494.msg989246#msg989246 date=1301325703]
:D I had to write two notes this morning explaining that my senior high kid need a break from the weights for a week and the middle schooler should not be doing knee bends. The knee bend directions came from a very qualified personal trianer out of Houston. ;) I really don't mind the weight lifting but in moderation with very active student-athletes.
[/quote]

From what I understand, mom/dad notes are only good for one day, might need a DOCTOR to take a look at your sons; not a "very qualified trainer"  ::)    Basketball has been over for a little over a month and a half at HF.  There is no MODERATION after the sport is no longer in season and the athlete is not playing any other sport!  UOS as stevie refers to it, KILL 'EM, KILL 'EM ALL  :D
[/quote]

I am sure you think they ought to lift whether they have notes from the parent, doctor, or whatever.

[quote name="True Blue" post="991439" timestamp="1301675386"]
Sorry, but this is something I dont understand. If you have talked with the coach, and voiced your opion on not lifting. Why would you need a note from Dr. Were Im from DAD note trumps Dr note every time.
[/quote]Good question ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="991458" timestamp="1301676992"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=81494.msg991439#msg991439 date=1301675386]
Sorry, but this is something I dont understand. If you have talked with the coach, and voiced your opion on not lifting. Why would you need a note from Dr. Were Im from DAD note trumps Dr note every time.
[/quote]Good question ;)
[/quote] I dont know, but maybe it helps to have that talk face to face with the coaches. And maybe it dont hurt when your 6'3'' 240 ;D  Come on Dove ,dont send momma, put on the big boy pants, and go have a come to Jesus meeting ;)

[quote name="True Blue" post="991482" timestamp="1301679097"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=81494.msg991458#msg991458 date=1301676992]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=81494.msg991439#msg991439 date=1301675386]
[/quote]Good question ;)
[/quote] I dont know, but maybe it helps to have that talk face to face with the coaches. And maybe it dont hurt when your 6'3'' 240 ;D  Come on Dove ,dont send momma, put on the big boy pants, and go have a come to Jesus meeting ;)
[/quote] :D  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

problem with kids lifting is majority dont see the need and dont put much effort into it. problem with skill development is kids dont see the need and dont put much effort into it. youve got to make lifting/ strength/plyo - meaningful and skill work meaningful or youre pretty much wasting time with both. the right coach can come in and get h-f going - i dont know dove or any of the h-f crowd ... but they are right about having some talent over there if they can get the right people in place. personally i hope they dont b/c i follow a diff 3a team over there.

[quote name="snooker" post="991514" timestamp="1301682879"]
problem with kids lifting is majority dont see the need and dont put much effort into it. problem with skill development is kids dont see the need and dont put much effort into it. youve got to make lifting/ strength/plyo - meaningful and skill work meaningful or youre pretty much wasting time with both. the right coach can come in and get h-f going - i dont know dove or any of the h-f crowd ... but they are right about having some talent over there if they can get the right people in place. personally i hope they dont b/c i follow a diff 3a team over there.
[/quote]

Lifting, in itself is not the problem.  UOS is THE problem

Oak Hill Academy, a basketball powerhouse in Virginia lift on game day. BUT! They also go to the gym 3 times a day and work on their skills. Now schools like HF are far from being an Oak Hill but if they lift on game days then thats a problem. Because that time needs to be in the gym. Most "experts" suggest  twice a week weight lifting to maintain. Meaning no added extra weight during the season. You're not trying to produce weightlifters but maintain strength to minimize serious injuries. Actually I'm for the weights but only in moderation during the season.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="991574" timestamp="1301690651"]
Oak Hill Academy, a basketball powerhouse in Virginia lift on game day. BUT! They also go to the gym 3 times a day and work on their skills. Now schools like HF are far from being an Oak Hill but if they lift on game days then thats a problem. Because that time needs to be in the gym. Most "experts" suggest  twice a week weight lifting to maintain. Meaning no added extra weight during the season. You're not trying to produce weightlifters but maintain strength to minimize serious injuries. Actually I'm for the weights but only in moderation during the season.
[/quote] I to,have no prob. with lifting weights. As long as the weight or to help basketball players, and not  trying to make football players. As in pulling truck tires on the football field. Your not trying to make running backs, and do you have any ideal the tork on    the lower back of a 6'+ player??? As long as the basketball coach is in charge of the weight lifting I have no prob. but I do have a prob. with a football coach(AD) trying to make football players out of basketball kids>>>> ;)

[quote name="True Blue" post="991611" timestamp="1301695290"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=81494.msg991574#msg991574 date=1301690651]
[/quote] I to,have no prob. with lifting weights. As long as the weight or to help basketball players, and not  trying to make football players. As in pulling truck tires on the football field. Your not trying to make running backs, and do you have any ideal the tork on    the lower back of a 6'+ player??? As long as the basketball coach is in charge of the weight lifting I have no prob. but I do have a prob. with a football coach(AD) trying to make football players out of basketball kids>>>> ;)
[/quote] ;)

[quote name="dribblemonkey" post="991941" timestamp="1301714421"]
Sounds to me like he will need alot of patience and a thick skin if this board is even close to what real life at HF is to be like during bball season.
[/quote]Sounds to me that the few who are making statements are only saying the extra amount of time spent on weights during the season should be used more in the gym.

I think UOS can be a good thing. Especially when the players are weak. If UOS is done correctly, it will build athleticism and make the players stronger. This is important, especially in the playoffs.

As I have been reading this thread, I have kept wondering why UOS is such a big deal. Do the players at HF not have an open gym schedule ? Are they not playing on Saturday or Sundays ? Are they not playing AAU, Spring ball, Summer ball, and Fall ball ? If they doing all of these, the weights should only help them get stronger.

I think this thread alone is hurting any future applicants that might have considered applying to the HF job. I know of 2 good coaches that did not apply due to the complaining and griping on this board. They told me it wouldn't be worth their time and the money at HF isn't great.

I hope HF does turn things around. It is a good school, that is just in a hard district.

Thats what I was asking, I heard the lifting only happens 20 minute during the period the rest of the period is then given to the coach, and also soreness should not be a factor after you get in shape, so i would quit fighting it and get on the wagon with the rest of the team and go get after it

I wonder if football lifted on game days?  And I believe the majority on here believe that lifting weights is a good thing, but basketball players need to be in the gym more than lifting weights.  Basketball is a game that combines skills and strength (upper and lower).  If you have to sacrifice one it has to be weights, basketball skills or fundamentals are too critical to leave out.  I dont know how the athletic periods are for HF as far as time length.  But lets say it is 50 minutes.  5 minutes to get dressed, 20 minutes to lift, 5 minutes to get to the gym from weightroom at fieldhouse, 15 minutes of skill work and 5 minutes to get dressed  and to class before bell unless it is last period and then you have bus riders who have to leave even earlier.  15 minutes of skill work is a joke.  I have worked with 50 minute straight periods of skill workouts and you are busting it to get the things in you need to get done. 

[quote name="east texas bb" post="992550" timestamp="1301922639"]
I wonder if football lifted on game days?  And I believe the majority on here believe that lifting weights is a good thing, but basketball players need to be in the gym more than lifting weights.  Basketball is a game that combines skills and strength (upper and lower).  If you have to sacrifice one it has to be weights, basketball skills or fundamentals are too critical to leave out.  I dont know how the athletic periods are for HF as far as time length.  But lets say it is 50 minutes.  5 minutes to get dressed, 20 minutes to lift, 5 minutes to get to the gym from weightroom at fieldhouse, 15 minutes of skill work and 5 minutes to get dressed  and to class before bell unless it is last period and then you have bus riders who have to leave even earlier.  15 minutes of skill work is a joke.  I have worked with 50 minute straight periods of skill workouts and you are busting it to get the things in you need to get done. 

[/quote]50 MINUTES? Thats really pushing it :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83