Possible LU Basketball Coaches

I know there hasn't been an announcement yet, but it seems inevitable that a change will be made soon.  I just hope whatever is done, the announcement is made quickly to allow Roc to move on to another school and land a new coach early enough to get the best recruits possible.  I know Alvin Brooks is a possibility and Pat Knight is now available.  I also know many on the board think BCG is our future.  I'm pretty intrigued by Rodney Terry.  If he is interested I would think he would be a top contender for the job.
His resume is pretty strong and he is a Texas guy who has run the recruiting roads for years.  I know recruiting at UT is far different from LU, just like Memphis was far different.  I'm not saying he is the best fit for the job, but I'd like to see him in the mix.

Full name: Rodney Eric Terry
Hometown: Angleton, Texas
High School: Angleton HS
College: St. Edward's '90

9th season at Texas

Rodney Terry begins his ninth season as an assistant coach at The University of Texas. In his first eight years in Austin, Terry has helped the Longhorns post a 204-72 (.739) record while making eight NCAA Tournament appearances. Texas has made four "Sweet 16" showings during his eight years, including a trip to the Final Four in 2003 and the "Elite Eight" in both 2006 and 2008.

The 204 wins mark a tie for the most number of victories in an eight-year period in school history. UT has produced 20-win seasons in each of Terry's eight years.

During this stretch, a total of 10 McDonald's All-Americans have made their way to the UT campus (Brad Buckman, 2002; LaMarcus Aldridge, 2004; Daniel Gibson, 2004; Mike Williams, 2004; D.J. Augustin, 2006; Kevin Durant, 2006; Jai Lucas, 2007; Avery Bradley, 2009; Cory Joseph, 2010; Tristan Thompson, 2010). Despite a class that numbered only two, the current UT freshman class of Joseph and Thompson was ranked as the No. 8 recruiting class in the country by ESPN. Texas' three-man freshman class in 2009 was ranked No. 3 nationally by Rivals.com and No. 4 by ESPNU. UT's seven-man freshman class in 2006 was tabbed the No. 3 recruiting class in the nation by both Rivals.com and Scout.com. Texas' five-man freshman class in 2004 featured three McDonald's All-Americans (Aldridge, Gibson and Williams) and was tabbed the No. 1 class in the nation by Clark Francis' Hoop Scoop.

During the last five seasons, Texas has posted a combined 133-46 (.743) record, setting the mark for most wins at UT in a five-year period. UT climbed to the top of both major national polls (Associated Press, ESPN/USA Today Coaches) on Jan. 11, 2010, marking the first time in program history that the Horns had been the top-ranked team in the nation in either major poll. Texas held the top spot in both polls for a two-week stretch. UT set a school record for most wins in a season (31-7) in 2007-08. While using a starting rotation of four freshmen and a sophomore in 2006-07, the Horns posted a 25-10 mark and advanced to the NCAA Second Round. In 2005-06, Texas registered a 30-7 record and advanced to the NCAA "Elite Eight."

Texas is the only school in the country that can claim two National Player of the Year winners in the last eight years, T.J. Ford (2003) and Kevin Durant (2007). UT has had three consensus first-team All-Americans during Terry's time as an assistant (T.J. Ford in 2003, Kevin Durant in 2007 and D.J. Augustin in 2008), and Augustin claimed the Bob Cousy Award as the nation's top point guard in 2008.

Texas has had 10 players drafted in the eight years under Terry, including six first-round selections and four lottery picks in T.J. Ford, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Durant and D.J. Augustin. Both Aldridge (2006) and Durant (2007) were selected as the No. 2 overall picks in their respective drafts. In fact, UT became the first school to have a Top Two pick in consecutive NBA Drafts since DePaul in 1981-82.

When Augustin was selected as the No. 9 pick by the Charlotte Bobcats in the 2008 NBA Draft, it completed quite a three-year run for the Longhorns at the Draft. Texas was the only school in the nation to have a Top 10 pick in the 2006, 2007 and 2008 NBA Drafts. In fact, UT became just the fourth school since 1985 (when the current draft lottery system was implemented) to produce a lottery pick in three consecutive years. Georgia Tech (1989-91), Duke (1992-95) and Connecticut (2004-06) previously accomplished the feat.

Texas had three players selected during the 2010 NBA Draft. Avery Bradley was selected with the No. 19 pick by the Boston Celtics. Damion James was taken with the No. 24 pick by the Atlanta Hawks, and his rights were later traded to the New Jersey Nets. Dexter Pittman was chosen with the No. 32 pick (second selection in the second round) by the Miami Heat. This marked the second time in school history that the Horns had three players selected in the same draft (2006) and the second time in UT history that the Longhorns had two players taken in the first round of the same draft (1990).

In the classroom, Texas had five players earn a spot on the 2010 Academic All-Big 12 Conference Men's Basketball Team. This marked the third straight year that the Horns led the league in Academic All-Big 12 honors in the sport of men's basketball. UT had six players earn the accolade in both 2008 and 2009.

Terry joined Rick Barnes' staff on June 11, 2002. For seven weeks prior to coming to Texas, Terry served on Jerry Wainwright's staff at the University of Richmond after spending the previous four seasons under Wainwright at UNC-Wilmington.

While at UNC-Wilmington, Terry was instrumental in helping the program produce three postseason appearances in his four seasons. The Seahawks advanced to the NCAA Tournament in 1999-2000 and 2001-02 and reached the Postseason NIT in 2000-01. During his final year with the Seahawks (2001-02), UNCW posted a 23-10 overall mark, setting a school record for victories in a season. The Seahawks also collected their first NCAA Tournament win in school history, upsetting USC 98-89 in overtime in a First Round game.

UNCW registered a record of 71-51 (.582) during Terry's four seasons. In his second year, Terry helped the Seahawks land a Top 30 recruiting class according to Hoop Scoop. In 2001-02, Terry was named the co-mid/low-major Assistant Coach of the Year by TheInsiderHoops.com, sharing the honor with Valparaiso's Scott Drew (now the head coach at Baylor).

Prior to joining the staff at UNCW, Terry served two years as an assistant coach at Baylor (1996-98). He spent one season (1995-96) as the varsity coach at Angleton (Texas) High School and two years as the head coach at Somerville (Texas) High School. Terry posted a 15-13 mark at Angleton and a 49-21 overall record at Somerville, where he led the school to the Class 2A state semifinals in 1993-94. He also worked for two years (1991-93) as an assistant coach at Austin Bowie (Texas) High School.

Terry started his coaching career as an assistant coach at his alma mater, St. Edward's University in Austin, Texas. He worked for one season (1990-91) at St. Edward's before moving on to his post at Bowie High.

Terry graduated from St. Edward's University in 1990 with a bachelor's degree in business administration and a minor in physical education. During his collegiate career, he was a three-year starter at point guard and a three-time Academic All-Big State Conference selection. The Hilltoppers won the Big State Conference title during his freshman season in 1986-87, and he also served as team captain during his junior and senior campaigns.

Born March 27, 1968, Terry is a native of Angleton, Texas.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see Bubba Skelton in the mix too.

Don Skelton
Men's Head Coach
Junior college coaching veteran Don "Bubba" Skelton returns for his third season as head men's basketball coach at Jones County Junior College.
In his first season in 2008-09, Skelton piloted the Bobcats to a 24-5 record and their first MACJC state championship since the 1945-46 season. It was the fifth overall state championship for the Bobcats. The Bobcats, who also won the MACJC South Division crown, advanced to the Region 23 Tournament and were ranked as high as No. 19 in the nation at one point.
Skelton was named the MACJC Co-Coach of the Year for his success that season.
Last year, the Bobcats compiled a 17-10 record and advanced to the semifinals of the Region 23 Tournament.
Skelton came to Jones after two years as an assistant coach at Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas. The Cardinals went 19-11 and tied for the Southland Conference crown in his final season at Lamar.
Skelton coached at JCJC from 1988-90, serving as an assistant coach under Marc Dukes. From there, he became the head basketball coach and head baseball coach at Lafayette County High School in Oxford in 1990-91 and was head basketball coach at Monroe High School in Tompkinsville, Ky., for five years.
Skelton served as head coach at Southwest Mississippi Community College from 1997-99, leading the Bears to a 22-9 record and a berth in the state and regional tournament in 1997-98.
He then became head coach at Northwest Mississippi Community College from 1999-2006 and enjoyed even more success. Skelton compiled a 198-56 record (.779) and led the Rangers to five Region 23 titles, five District 16 titles, two MACJC state titles and five MACJC North Division crowns.
Skelton has compiled a 363-176 (.674) overall record as a head coach. He has four region championships, five North state titles, one South state title and three MACJC state crowns to his credit. He is a five-time Region Coach of the Year and a four-time MACJC Coach of the Year.
Skelton, a native of Leland, was a four-year letterman at Mississippi College and played in every game during his career with the Choctaws. He was third in the Gulf South Conference in assists as a senior and was an All-Gulf South Conference Academic team selection in 1986 and 1987.
He served as a graduate assistant at Mississippi College in 1987-88 before coming to JCJC as an assistant coach.
Skelton is married to the former Tammy Pryor of Ellisville and they have one son, Trey.

[quote name="becktobigs" post="979108" timestamp="1299526893"]
[quote author=bball11 link=topic=81354.msg979070#msg979070 date=1299521640]
I bet it will be Tic Price!!!
[/quote]Why promote someone from a staff that didn't get it done?  If it's to save money my comment is two words, Tony Branch.
[/quote]

I like Tic Price, but we need a new direction.  If Tic is part of the equation they might as well keep Roccaforte for the final year of his contract.

I second Skelton!!!

The guy is a winner wherever he goes and some of the best players, hustlers on the court and fan favorites we have had at LU over the past 5 years were guys that Skelton recruited at NWMiss, which tells me he recognizes talent and hard workers.

Skelton is a great coach, but I think he is pretty content in MS where his family is from. Maybe we will reach out to him though.

I hear from some rival's sites that BCG has his eyes on the TT and Wyoming jobs... we'll just have to see what happens.

[quote name="mffl" post="979213" timestamp="1299537224"]
Skelton is a great coach, but I think he is pretty content in MS where his family is from. Maybe we will reach out to him though.

I hear from some rival's sites that BCG has his eyes on the TT and Wyoming jobs... we'll just have to see what happens.
[/quote]So, back to square one and getting our typical coaches to apply :'(

[quote name="KingSnake" post="979224" timestamp="1299538637"]
Will Matt Cross from Lamar PA get any consideration?   He has been great there.  I am not endorsing him....just asking the question.
[/quote]
I just asked the same question in another area.  It's getting harder and harder to ignore what he's doing at LSC-PA.

[u][b]KEEP ROC[/b][/u]
I would like to see some adjustments, but I think Coach Roc should stay.  He does need help with the x's and o's so add a good offensive coordinator.  He's doing good with the recruiting and he learned a lot under Tubbs and Calipari.  Another coaching change will keep this program in constant dissaray.  Lamar ain't no Kentucky, Duke or UNC.  The program needs some stability.  A big name coach will not stay in Beaumont or at Lamar very long.  Look no further than Tidwell, he's a keeper too.

[quote name="Ryans Dad" post="979482" timestamp="1299612278"]Another coaching change will keep this program in constant dissaray.[/quote]

What do you call the current state of the program?

[quote author=Ryans Dad link=topic=81354.msg979482#msg979482 date=1299612278]Lamar ain't no Kentucky, Duke or UNC.  The program needs some stability.[/quote]

Nope, it's not - but Lamar has more resources in place to consistently compete for the SLC title and postseason opportunities than any of the remaining schools (when UTSA and TXST leave) and anything less, particularly now that Lamar was/is in the SLC East, is an embarassment.

[quote name="Ryans Dad" post="979482" timestamp="1299612278"]
[u][b]KEEP ROC[/b][/u]
I would like to see some adjustments, but I think Coach Roc should stay.  He does need help with the x's and o's so add a good offensive coordinator.  He's doing good with the recruiting and he learned a lot under Tubbs and Calipari.  Another coaching change will keep this program in constant dissaray.  Lamar ain't no Kentucky, Duke or UNC.  The program needs some stability.  A big name coach will not stay in Beaumont or at Lamar very long.  Look no further than Tidwell, he's a keeper too.
[/quote]
Is Roc's son named Ryan?
Either that or this guy is a McNeese Alumn.

What you fail to realize is that Roc's problem is his EGO! He won't let someone else take charge and his players don't believe in him for obvious reasons.  He needs to go back to doing what he does best and Recruit for one of the big time programs. He could probably make as much if not more money as a top assistant and recruiting coordinator at Kentucky or one of the other bigs.

5 years is more than enough time in the SLC!!!

Lamar fans are brutal.  I'm a Lamar grad and have been a long time Lamar season ticket holder who would love to see them winning and competing again.  I can see both sides of this, but knowing Roc is a local son and his experience under Tubbs, I would give him another year.

[quote name="Ryans Dad" post="979566" timestamp="1299618758"]
Lamar fans are brutal.  I'm a Lamar grad and have been a long time Lamar season ticket holder who would love to see them winning and competing again.  I can see both sides of this, but knowing Roc is a local son and his experience under Tubbs, I would give him another year.
[/quote]
Your in the minority big time here!

How is it brutal to expect to be at the very least one of the top 8 teams in quite possibly the worst DI basketball conference in America year in and year out?

For some perspective on the situation.

Rocs winning percentage at Lamar is 49.4% (48.8% in SLC). This places him 5th out of the 8 coaches since the Tubbs (including Tubbs). Take away the one good year when Skelton was doing the coaching and he its 46% (40.6% in SLC) which means only Mike Deane and Branchhad worse records and Deane had a 46% winning percentage in SLC. Take away the 4 BS wins against sub DI teams for those 4 years and Roc's winning percentage is a wopping 38%. Now tell me again why we should give this guy a 6th season when we didn't for any of the other guys that put up better numbers than him? ???

[quote name="badndn" post="979594" timestamp="1299620251"]

Your in the minority big time here!

[b]How is it brutal to expect to be at the very least one of the top 8 teams in quite possibly the worst DI basketball conference in America year in and year out?[/b]

[/quote]

Just so you know, it's teams like Lamar (this year) that helped make the conference one of the worst.

UTA - 269
TAMU-CC  - 280
Lamar - 294
UCA - 340

You can't get rid of the bad teams, and moving to the WAC won't make your RPI any higher. Take out Utah State, and every team is about 115, even when you add in TSU-SM and UTSA.

The conference will only get better when teams stop scheduling the worst teams in the country.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder