The End of High School Sports

Could we see the end of High School Sports in Football (7 on 7) & Basketball (AAU), is Baseball next ?

Good read:

“The seven-on-seven stuff concerns me,” Kelly said. “It does have an appearance of separating from the high school coach. In football, the head football coach is still relevant. I don’t know if that’s the case in basketball.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/sports/ncaafootball/06camps.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="978445" timestamp="1299374713"]
Could we see the end of High School Sports in Football (7 on 7) & Basketball (AAU), is Baseball next ?

Good read:

“The seven-on-seven stuff concerns me,” Kelly said. “It does have an appearance of separating from the high school coach. In football, the head football coach is still relevant. I don’t know if that’s the case in basketball.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/sports/ncaafootball/06camps.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

[/quote]

There will be some that contend that baseball is already there.

In football 7 on 7 that is getting popular is more like a "combine" and would never affect the high school game. Basketball and baseball are different because the "select" teams play with the same rules and the game is the same. What affects a lot of this is the majority of the kids these days are concentrating on one sport so why play with a team of players that are just keeping busy in "off season" instead of a team of players that are dedicated to the one sport. In Texas there is still a sense of "school pride" that will keep the "select" players playing for the school but will play with the select team during off-season. What will affect the high school game is when you start seeing select football teams that field full rosters after all football is king in Texas. IMO ;D

[quote name="BRONX ROX" post="978667" timestamp="1299431463"]
In football 7 on 7 that is getting popular is more like a "combine" and would never affect the high school game. Basketball and baseball are different because the "select" teams play with the same rules and the game is the same. What affects a lot of this is the majority of the kids these days are concentrating on one sport so why play with a team of players that are just keeping busy in "off season" instead of a team of players that are dedicated to the one sport. In Texas there is still a sense of "school pride" that will keep the "select" players playing for the school but will play with the select team during off-season. What will affect the high school game is when you start seeing select football teams that field full rosters after all football is king in Texas. IMO ;D
[/quote]

Yes you are right football is KING in Texas

Once again, it is the dollar that is driving this.  There is money to be made in "select" ball as well as the hope of developing into a professional athelete drives kids (really the parents, agents and the proverbial hanger's oner's) to chase the select route as they see it as a better path of development and future cash.

As the parent of a select/high school player I take a little offence to the remark about wanting a player to go select for the money.  My son has dreamed of playing at the next level since he was 5 so as parents we took whatever means necessary to help him get there. I don't know any parent who wouldn't do the same given the opportunity. It has nothing to do with wanting him to make big money but to fulfill his dreams. 

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="978709" timestamp="1299439315"]
Once again, it is the dollar that is driving this.  There is money to be made in "select" ball as well as the hope of developing into a professional athelete drives kids (really the parents, agents and the proverbial hanger's oner's) to chase the select route as they see it as a better path of development and future cash.
[/quote]

I believe most parents just want the best for their kid. ;D But your right if there is any money to be made the piranhas will be circling. ;)

[quote name="1696dogs" post="978766" timestamp="1299453393"]
As the parent of a select/high school player I take a little offence to the remark about wanting a player to go select for the money.  My son has dreamed of playing at the next level since he was 5 so as parents we took whatever means necessary to help him get there. I don't know any parent who wouldn't do the same given the opportunity. It has nothing to do with wanting him to make big money but to fulfill his dreams. 
[/quote]

good point 1696, most kids i know just want the the opportunity for next level. no one i know of is getting rich on select ball in this area, we have some of the best baseball people.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="978451" timestamp="1299375023"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=81312.msg978445#msg978445 date=1299374713]

Good read:

[/quote]

There will be some that contend that baseball is already there.
[/quote]

Yep.  All one has to do is look at the WestBrook Bruins and how poorly they have done in baseball over the last few years. 

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="978769" timestamp="1299454146"]
[quote author=1696dogs link=topic=81312.msg978766#msg978766 date=1299453393]
As the parent of a select/high school player I take a little offence to the remark about wanting a player to go select for the money.  My son has dreamed of playing at the next level since he was 5 so as parents we took whatever means necessary to help him get there. I don't know any parent who wouldn't do the same given the opportunity. It has nothing to do with wanting him to make big money but to fulfill his dreams.  
[/quote]

good point 1696, most kids i know just want the the opportunity for next level. no one i know of is getting rich on select ball in this area, we have some of the best baseball people.
[/quote]
The kids are not making any money at select, it is all the "private coaches" that are making the money while the kids are at that level.  It's the hope of parents that their child will get a college scholarship and even move to the pros that opens up paying jobs for private coaches.  I am not against kids participating and developing and pursuing a dream, to the contrary I support kids pursuing noble goals and dreams.  But if it destroy's high school athletics, then we have lost something special about communities and schools (especially the small towns) that most of us have enjoyed in our lives.  I don't think that is a good thing.

Select baseball is not for everyone. With that being said the problem with some or most High School baseball teams is that the Head Coach on the Baseball field is not the that good of a baseball coach. Most AD's hire coaches for Football first and then baseball gets the left-overs that can coach that sport too (mostly in small towns) That is why you see so many kids keep playing select baseaball. The only way for those kids to get good coaching is to go out and pay for it at the private level.

[quote name="idk" post="978991" timestamp="1299515060"]
Select baseball is not for everyone. With that being said the problem with some or most High School baseball teams is that the Head Coach on the Baseball field is not the that good of a baseball coach. Most AD's hire coaches for Football first and then baseball gets the left-overs that can coach that sport too (mostly in small towns) That is why you see so many kids keep playing select baseaball. The only way for those kids to get good coaching is to go out and pay for it at the private level.
[/quote]

Well said...I've noticed the same...Especially after moving from a 5A program (that won a state championship in baseball a few years ago) to a small 3A school 4-5 years ago...

[quote name="idk" post="978991" timestamp="1299515060"]
[/quote]

I really think this is a very biased statement. I have known MANY very good high school baseball coaches in my time. The desire to compete in select ball is motivated by one thing and one thing only, dreaming of being seen in order to get an offer. ALL feel playing year-round will improve your skills, playing with better teams will improve skills, and playing all year increased the opportunity to be seen by someone. But the coaches coaching select teams are dads of a player, a former HS coach, etc, What makes them better baseball coaches? If your good enough they will find you!!!! And if your an athlete you should play all sports otherwise you are only being selfish!!! ALL SELECT BALL HAS DONE IS MAKE MONEY FOR THE ORGANIZERS and eliminate TEAM CONCEPT.

I would rather watch any high school sport over professional sports any day.But what I would rather see is more education going on than competitive sports.Many school districts are laying off teachers or are not renewing contracts due to budget shortfalls.When I see a school district such as Liberty doing this and plan on putting more than 30 kids in one classroom it concerns me.Liberty has 14 high school football coaches and cant even get a winning season,but do you here about any of these guys getting laid off or not renewed,Nope.Kenneth Skidmore had 6 coaches when he won state for Hull Diasetta in '79,'Pudgy'Richardson had 6 coaches when he won state for Barbers Hill in '76.Why does any 3A or lower need anymore coaches than 6 ? We need certified teachers that can teach more than football and health.If you cant cut your budget good enough to keep your educators then you shouldn't be doing sports.Just sayin'!!!

redheaded, I was talking about the select baseball players that go out and play for Paid Coaches that have played at the highest level or at least at the Minor level. Trust me that is not a biased statement. I am not talking about your run of the mill select teams, there is a big difference. I am not saying that there is not good high school baseball coaches but most of the ones I see are not really that good. At the 5A level there is enough money to pay for a good Baseball coach, but in the 3A level Football is King and that is what they look for. You are correct the select players work hard to be good and playing year around does help improve their skills, playing against better teams does help to improve your overall performance when it matters most. Go look at all the really good players that play High School baseball and I bet that 90% of them play select baseball in some form or take lessions from a pro. I don't see very many High School Coaches at the 3a level and below that really know how to help a player improve his swing or fielding. Most of the Good Coaches as you call them are just coaching what someone else made (Pro Select baseball coaches). Yea is select baseball making someone rich, sure is but I don't know anything that you do in America today that isn't making someone money. You get what you pay for.

How does it eliminate Team Concept, the last time I looked at my sons select team he wasn't the only one on the field. But does Little Johnny get to stay on the team if he doesn't want to work hard and put out, NOPE!! That is the problem with High School sports or most schools, every kids gets to stay on the team no matter how bad they are or how much they don't want to work, No one wants to hurt anyones feelings and then when these kids get out of High School the Real World Slaps them in the face. Again Select Baseball isn't for everyone. But don't knock it cause the onese that do it play.

[quote name="donald3633" post="979547" timestamp="1299616100"]
I would rather watch any high school sport over professional sports any day.But what I would rather see is more education going on than competitive sports.Many school districts are laying off teachers or are not renewing contracts due to budget shortfalls.When I see a school district such as Liberty doing this and plan on putting more than 30 kids in one classroom it concerns me.Liberty has 14 high school football coaches and cant even get a winning season,but do you here about any of these guys getting laid off or not renewed,Nope.Kenneth Skidmore had 6 coaches when he won state for Hull Diasetta in '79,'Pudgy'Richardson had 6 coaches when he won state for Barbers Hill in '76.Why does any 3A or lower need anymore coaches than 6 ? We need certified teachers that can teach more than football and health.If you cant cut your budget good enough to keep your educators then you shouldn't be doing sports.Just sayin'!!!
[/quote]

outstanding post! too bad it has nothing to do with this thread...at the top of each thread, there is a heading called "subject" the words following this give you an inclination of what topic is to be discussed as you scroll down the page
for example, you could start a thread for yourself and in subject line you could put something like "Why I hate Liberty Athletics" and then other people could read what you wrote and extrapolate on that topic as they saw fit. In this way, you could unleash your personal vendetta against Liberty Athletics without hijacking someone else's thread about select sports, fire dancing, cake decorating or whatever they were discussing.

[quote name="livinthruthekids" post="979645" timestamp="1299623263"]
[quote author=donald3633 link=topic=81312.msg979547#msg979547 date=1299616100]
[/quote]

outstanding post! too bad it has nothing to do with this thread...at the top of each thread, there is a heading called "subject" the words following this give you an inclination of what topic is to be discussed as you scroll down the page
for example, you could start a thread for yourself and in subject line you could put something like "Why I hate Liberty Athletics" and then other people could read what you wrote and extrapolate on that topic as they saw fit. In this way, you could unleash your personal vendetta against Liberty Athletics without hijacking someone else's thread about select sports, fire dancing, cake decorating or whatever they were discussing.

[/quote]

Tell us how you really feel, livinthruthekids.

for example, you could start a thread for yourself and in subject line you could put something like "Why I hate Liberty Athletics" and then other people could read what you wrote and extrapolate on that topic as they saw fit. In this way, you could unleash your personal vendetta against Liberty Athletics without hijacking someone else's thread about select sports, [b]fire dancing, cake decorating [/b] or whatever they were discussing.

[/quote]

:D :D

[b]And if your an athlete you should play all sports otherwise you are only being selfish!!![/b]

That is without a doubt, the dumbest, most incoherent thing that I have ever read on this website. 

I guess in Redhead's world, any kid who shows any kind of athletic ability should play every sport out there, even if he doesn't like it or it conflicts with something he loves and is really good at, just for some misplaced sense of school or town pride. 

I would assume that by everything, you are talking about the kids that don't play football being selfish because they choose to play basketball or baseball and don't entertain you every Friday night in the fall.

Now that I think of it, Nederland's tennis team really suffered last fall because Trevin Sonnier, Stephen Schlett and Kelvin Smith were all selfishly playing other sports that they excel in and not serving and volleying all fall.  How dare those selfish kids not participate like Redhead demands. 

[quote name="redheaded stepchild" post="979359" timestamp="1299552396"]
[quote author=idk link=topic=81312.msg978991#msg978991 date=1299515060]
[/quote]

I really think this is a very biased statement. I have known MANY very good high school baseball coaches in my time. The desire to compete in select ball is motivated by one thing and one thing only, dreaming of being seen in order to get an offer. ALL feel playing year-round will improve your skills, playing with better teams will improve skills, and playing all year increased the opportunity to be seen by someone. But the coaches coaching select teams are dads of a player, a former HS coach, etc, What makes them better baseball coaches? If your good enough they will find you!!!! [glow=red,2,300]And if your an athlete you should play all sports otherwise you are only being selfish!!![/glow] ALL SELECT BALL HAS DONE IS MAKE MONEY FOR THE ORGANIZERS and eliminate TEAM CONCEPT.
[/quote]Wow must be a football guy...That is a stupid.. crazy.. not making any sence.. what so ever statement ??? Looks like somebody did not get on the select team he wanted ;) Why is it selfish if a kid chooses not to play a sport if he does not want too..Maybe selfish to the A.D

[quote author=donald3633 link=topic=81312.msg979547#msg979547 date=1299616100]
[/quote]

[/quote]He did.... it titled "time to cut high school sports programs"....... what a idiot...

For IDK

Select Ball, Summer Ball, Year Round Ball, Super Select, Elite- Call it what you want, its still "Daddy Ball". There are some darn fine baseball coaches, even at the 1A and 2A levels in this state and they are not all hired as "Football" coaches. I dont know where that misconception comes from. Ever thought there just might be some "baseball" guys out there that happen to coach "football". Believe me, they exist. Too often, coaches are tagged with a "label" they do not deserve. What the average person fails to see is that these coaches, even before they have stepped on a field for a Tuesday afternoon baseball game, have already given 6 lessons over JFK and the Cold War to over 150 students. Just because that man is not asking the parents to pay 500-1000 $ per kid (or more in some cases) to play for him, does not mean he does not know the game. And most have played baseball beyond their HS years as well! You my friend are disillusioned. And by the way I loved your comment about "The coaches you see are not really that good". Really? Well who died and made you the super duper 4A and below baseball coach master evaluator. Do you even know any of these coaches or does your "select" team just borrow the fields they take care of all year during the summer. Yea, thats what I thought. Keep yellin Daddy! he he

Just a guess, either you are a HS baseball coach or your kid didn't get picked for the select team you wanted him to play on.  Or both. 

Coaching is like any other profession, there are good ones and there are bad ones.  For the most part, this area is very lucky in that most of the HS coaches are pretty knowledgeable. 

As for select ball, is there a certain amount of daddyball, especially at the lower levels of select, sure.  But that holds true for Little League as well and any other youth sports organization.  But once they get to the 14, 15, 16 year-old level, I think the kids are there for the right reasons and are trying to get better.  They shouldn't be derided for that. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder