Carthage vs. Coldspring State Championship Game Predictions/Fri. 4PM

Guest TEAM

These prediction threads all seem to be the same...Everyone picks against the Trojans and all they do is go out and take care of business...The fact that many think that Carthage will just walk all over Coldspring and/or Coldspring has no chance is comical....

Until a top RB actually has a above average day against the Trojan defense I'm going to have to give Coldspring the benefit of the doubt...

If I were a Bulldog fan I'd be more concerned with stopping Coldsprings running game....The combo of Cummings/Gilbert have not lost a game this year...The only loss was week zero and Gilbert was not playing...He's a difference maker pure and simple...As previously mentioned, Coldspring has shut down every big time back/great running game they've faced...

BTW, I thought Carthage would beat Brownwood...I said on another thread earlier in the week that the Brownwood love fest was getting out of hand and beating the reigning 2 time state champs wasn't a forgone conclusion as many seemed to think...

I have much, much respect for Carthage and what they've accomplished the last few years...I think it'll be a great game...

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1992 we made it to the state title game behind the emotion of playing for our beloved coach Ed Peveto.  We lost to a South Lake Carrol team that probably should have never been in 3A.  I was in seventh grade at that time.  I dreamed that one day I could help Coldspring bring a title home.  In 1996 we made it to the Semi-Finals against Sealy amidst their record run of titles.  We lost that day, but we should have won.  I was a Junior on that team.  Here we are present day.  I know deep in my heart this is the Trojans turn to bring a title home to our little spot by the lake north of Houston.  I know Carthage is good and deserves all the respect of a two time defending champ.  I firmly believe though we will unseat them as champions and place ourselves in the history books as the 2010 class 3A DivisionII State Champions.  As for those that thought Brownwood and Carthage this week was the true state title game,  I would have to disagree.  The true title game will be next Friday between Coldspring and Carthage.

[quote name="Kville_Kats" post="930911" timestamp="1292081322"]
Carthage has gave up a lot of points 395 for a game avg.of 26 points per game...Tells me there is a hole in the dam somewhere,And if this trend continues Gilbert & Cummings will have a good night.... ;)
[/quote]

I agree...that combo is hard to stop.....but it's even harder to run on their brick wall defence...I'll pull for CS in a battle.

Who published stats on the Carthage/Brownwood game last night?  I saw the CS stats in the Chronicle this morning, and 400+ yds rushing is pretty phenomenal against Wimberly.  Even more, holding Wimberly to less than 160 yds total!  CS is real, and I know Carthage is too because they've proven that the last couple of years.  Should be a real title game!

[quote name="texaggies07" post="930867" timestamp="1292071844"]
In 1992 we made it to the state title game behind the emotion of playing for our beloved coach Ed Peveto.  We lost to a South Lake Carrol team that probably should have never been in 3A.  I was in seventh grade at that time.  I dreamed that one day I could help Coldspring bring a title home.  In 1996 we made it to the Semi-Finals against Sealy amidst their record run of titles.  We lost that day, but we should have won.  I was a Junior on that team.  Here we are present day.  I know deep in my heart this is the Trojans turn to bring a title home to our little spot by the lake north of Houston.  I know Carthage is good and deserves all the respect of a two time defending champ.  I firmly believe though we will unseat them as champions and place ourselves in the history books as the 2010 class 3A DivisionII State Champions.  As for those that thought Brownwood and Carthage this week was the true state title game,  I would have to disagree.  The true title game will be next Friday between Coldspring and Carthage.
[/quote]Once your track record will speak for itself.. . . . . And the DOGS WILL TOO!!!!!(UNDERDOGS)

[quote name="T-Dawd" post="930771" timestamp="1292042144"]
Just heard announcer for Brownwood say the state title game was played tonight between BW and Carthage. >:(
[/quote]
Yeah, that's because most people in the state don't know how good Coldspring is.  1) They did not receive preseason hype, 2) did not have a D1 all-stater with a familiar last name, 3) didn't win state last year, 4) and wasn't undefeated.  Without those attention-grabbing features, announcers and media types assume you're just another team.  ::)

Coldspring's defense is slightly better than Carthage's and that will be the difference.  The Trojans win a close one...by three points or less. 

[quote name="One4All" post="930929" timestamp="1292084802"]
Once your track record will speak for itself.. . . . . And the DOGS WILL TOO!!!!!(UNDERDOGS)
[/quote]

Here we have it...another outsider crashes in to the SETX site with a rah-rah about their team during a 3rd round (or deeper) playoff game with one of our "locals".  'Happens every year.  This guy will do one of two things...1) if Carthage wins, he will not shut up for a week after the game and probably be unsportsmanlike toward the Coldspring fans or 2) if Coldspring wins, we will never hear from him again.  A flash-in-the-pan poster.  

[quote name="texaggies07" post="930867" timestamp="1292071844"]
[/quote]

Well stated... The sentiment of many of us Trojan fans, many who have memories of 1992 and 1996. Predictions don't win games. Let's remember the words of the late Coach Peveto, "Offense wins games, but defense wins championships" and we have one of the best defensive coordinators in the state...Coach Morrison and I can't say enough about the leadership of Coach Barbay...I never thought we would have another Peveto..., but he has turned our program around...instilled pride and discipline. 

We don't want the "hype" of a three-peat or recognition from the media or even credit from these forums. We want our football boys to leave it on the field and play as a team as they have been.

Let's enjoy the journey and the opportunity to support our Trojans at Cowboy Stadium.  Let's go Trojans...Day by Day... All the Way! 

[quote name="griff" post="930946" timestamp="1292086529"]
[quote author=One4All link=topic=77333.msg930929#msg930929 date=1292084802]
Once your track record will speak for itself.. . . . . And the DOGS WILL TOO!!!!!(UNDERDOGS)
[/quote]LOL.  .  .  Just talkin facts

Here we have it...another outsider crashes in to the SETX site with a rah-rah about their team during a 3rd round (or deeper) playoff game with one of our "locals".  'Happens every year.  This guy will do one of two things...1) if Carthage wins, he will not shut up for a week after the game and probably be unsportsmanlike toward the Coldspring fans or 2) if Coldspring wins, we will never hear from him again.  A flash-in-the-pan poster.  
[/quote]

http://www.ktbs.com/sports/25628249/detail.html

I'm actually from Cleveland and support local schools but I'm going with my ole' High School Football buddy and friend, Mike Morgan and his son, Anthony Morgan who is the QB for Carthage.  To make a decision to move from his school in Hardin and leave his friends that he grew up with to another town and go for it all, that was a big decision. Coldspring has came along way to get here and hopefully they can make a game out of this like Brownwood did, but Coldspring better be ready. Carthage is a very sound team. Carthage has been to the big dance twice already and know how to prepare for a championship game. Good luck to both teams!

[quote name="Scooter!" post="930787" timestamp="1292042688"]
I said may have been. I didnt think CS would beat WHS but they did. Holland is one RB. CS has 2-3 you have to deal with so CS has a chance. IMO Holland will be too much for CS. That O-line that they have puts in WORK! Trust me, no o-line has handled Brownwood all year like they did tonight.  :o
[/quote]

You forget that our defense has to go up against OUR o-line ,cummings, and gilbert everyday in practice. ;) ;) ;) So whatever type of athletes they have on their o-line, our defense has seen the same or BETTER throughout the season.

Having watched Carthage play Jasper in 183A in 2008 & 2009 I can tell you that Coldspring better be ready to stop more then just Carthage's stud running back. They have athletes everywhere on the field.

As for all the points that their defense allows, I would render to guess that many of them are scored on their second and third stringers. Carthage's starters rarely ever even play in the 2ND half of  most games.

Finally Coldspring wants it more?? Get real, that sounds like something that someone would say who has never played sports in their entire life. Both teams want it and I know they have both worked their butts off to get where they are.

Congrats to both teams.

I think this will be a whale of a game. Hey they both want it. The last two standing. Decide it on the field. They both have earned the right to go to Dallas. Think it will come down to 4th quarter. And i believe it will be on live on dish tv 416 here for me. Good luck to both teams and may you be injury free.

carthage has a very balanced offense.  their coaches are without question the best at planning a game and reacting to the opposition.  they held shipley and brownwood to 28 points which is incredible.  they aren't in this for the third straight time out of luck.
i have no idea about coldspring but i think we will find out if the best football is in the northern and western part of the state or if it is better in the south.
i'm going to say shipley is as good or better than his older brother.   

Its the State Championship game, both teams will be ready to go... Both teams will want it, it comes down to game planning and adjustments.. Big plays will be made by the CS rushing attack.  Hard to stop the thunder and lighting combo of Cummings and Gilbert.. Their stats in the playoffs speak to that and great physical Oline play up front. The D from CS will be the difference. They are creating turnovers and finding ways to bottle up opponents RB's.. My vote goes Coldspring at "Jerry's World"

[quote name="The dude abides" post="931395" timestamp="1292116417"]
Its the State Championship game, both teams will be ready to go... Both teams will want it, it comes down to game planning and adjustments.. Big plays will be made by the CS rushing attack.  Hard to stop the thunder and lighting combo of Cummings and Gilbert.. Their stats in the playoffs speak to that and great physical Oline play up front. [b]The D from CS will be the difference. They are creating turnovers and finding ways to bottle up opponents RB's.. My vote goes Coldspring at "Jerry's World"[/b][/quote]Well that speaks volumes for CS. As long as iv'e been around football. Defense win Championships.

I have a question for Scooter.  Have you even seen Coldspring play this year?  You live in West Texas so I don't know if you have seen them play.  I watched the first half film of Brownwood and Monahans and I was not impresses at all.  Monahans really did not have much with the exception of the running back ran hard and the quarterback was ok.  They had no secondary.  The offensive line had to be one of the smallest I have seen.  I would like to see some of the recent game against Carthage so I can make a better judgement.  I still believe deep down we can beat Carthage. 

I have to go with Coldspring in this game. Just by looking at the stats you have to. carthages d allows to many yards per game for Coldsprings running game. Coldspring will win it by 12. and my second point ti this is the adv yrds allowed by Coldsprings D. Coach morrison has done a great job with the D. Cooper is a beast and Sikes is playing better now than I have seen him play all year.

WOSGRAD great job on all the work you have done this year on keeping people up dated on the stats. We will see yall at Jerry's world.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder