Question about Nederland and Larry Neumann

nedfan88

[quote name="football" post="924248" timestamp="1291312509"]
You did not mention Track or Football??
[/quote]

OK, I'll spell it out for you.  Since we have the athletes to win district titles in all other sports, I can't believe we don't have the athletes to do the same in football.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the 16 playoff apperances only sent less than 4 teams. I do agree it is not that difficult now days to pad your reputation on playoff apperances, but there are many teams in our district that dont ever make it. Nederalnd's playoff runs started in the 90's when Neumann got the job. Yes, he has not won an out right district championship but most of the other teams in the district during his tenure have not either. At least he was co-champs a few times.

I understand your fustration Basebow and agree that Trevin should have the ball in hands when the game is on line. If you lose with your best, you know they beat your best.

I truly belive all coaches want to win every game and win district, however there is not much incentive when 4 go to playoffs.

Basebow - you should be hunting instead of messing around on the msg board.

[quote name="football" post="924336" timestamp="1291319013"]
My turn to spell it out.  It is usually a different type of athlete that wins in those sports.  Also, at 4A it is usually different kids.
[/quote]

I don't understand what you mean be "different type of athlete".  Nederland had enough good athletes to beat the second place team this season (PN-G) and to take the district champs (Central) down to the wire.  This issue of Nederland not having the athletes to compete for district titles in football is pure BS.

[quote name="Jackthehammer" post="924380" timestamp="1291321154"]
Thats the beauty of the message board I can say whatever I like and you can like it or not. So I say Nueman is a good coach. Like it or not..........
[/quote]
I agree , Nederlands football team was almost non-existent before Neumann. He is one of the best coaches in the area.

As far as having the athletes and winning outright district championships, sometimes a break here or there is the difference. Nederland has the same type athletes PNG has, historically. There are years here and there where it is tilted a bit one way or the other but for the most part it is similar. Since the start of around the Neumann , and Burnett eras PNG has won four outright district titles(96,03 or 04 not sure which one,07, and 09). With a break here or there we could have just as easily been co champs in most of them. One good example , we actually should have been co champs and ended up outright champs. It was the 03 or 04 with the last second field goal shinanigans against Ozen. A loss would have made us co champs instead of out right. Our win also put Nederland in the playoffs that year.

Nederland has had athletes to win the district championship outright and has a good shot at it in the next two years . They have had very talented teams in the past that should of and it is no fault of Neumanns, just the way the ball bounces sometimes. The team that strikes in my mind as one of the most talented teams for them was the 97 team.

I honestly believe anyone wanting to get rid of Neumann is crazy. They have gotten there the last few years by pounding their way through major injuries. Without that they may have gotten a couple of outright championships. Well , good luck next year even though the only luck yall have needed lately is staying healthy.

[quote name="football04" post="924551" timestamp="1291333987"]
  2004 we where co champs but would have advanced to the playoffs if only one team went. 2003 was the year png beat ozen and put nederland into the playoffs with the win.
[/quote]

'04 was the year I was referring to. Dustin Hood was QB, Mosley was RB. We lost out to Jacksonville that year I believe.

Why would anybody question Neumann's record? To not know these things, is not to have followed his teams.

[quote name="football04" post="924551" timestamp="1291333987"]
  2004 we where co champs but would have advanced to the playoffs if only one team went. 2003 was the year png beat ozen and put nederland into the playoffs with the win.
[/quote]
I honestly think you guys had the best team in the district in 01 also. I believe that was the year with Ramoin.

[quote name="pngfan1" post="924558" timestamp="1291334632"]
[quote author=football04 link=topic=76721.msg924551#msg924551 date=1291333987]
[/quote]
I honestly think you guys had the best team in the district in 01 also. I believe that was the year with Ramoin.
[/quote]

Yep, lost out to Bay City in the Dome that year. Lost 7-0. Bay City had less than 100 yards total offense. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! that we lost that game. Best defensive game I have ever seen us play. Nobody could stop Ramoin, but Bay City did on the last play. They won state and we shut down that high octane offense.

I'm not from Nederland and I think Coach Neumann is one of the best coaches, if not the best, in this area. How was Nederland's football before he got there? This is an honest question because I don't know, but I feel like they have been much better since he has been there. I could be wrong on that. Didn't he move to the spread when Dustin Hood was there? My timeline may be off. That's when I remember that move and I thought it was a great move because that's what the talent gave him. Now should it have been a spread since Dustin left...I don't know. But I think he is a very good coach.

Dustin Hood was an excellent pocket passer, best I've seen, who could scramble and throw on the run, but he had a power running game with Mosley. The spread offense began with Sampere at QB. He broke his foot in the Brenham game at Reliant and Bellow stepped in to hang on for the big win.

For the spread offense to be really successful, you need a Cam Newton type QB.

[quote name="baddog" post="924653" timestamp="1291343988"]
Dustin Hood was an excellent pocket passer, best I've seen, who could scramble and throw on the run, but he had a power running game with Mosley. The spread offense began with Sampere at QB. He broke his foot in the Brenham game at Reliant and Bellow stepped in to hang on for the big win.

For the spread offense to be really successful, you need a Cam Newton type QB.
[/quote]

I thought they started it with Hood...but I do remember now they had Mosley with him. Did they do a lot of shotgun single back set with Hood? I thought I remember seeing him in a lot of shotgun three wide receiver sets. Perhaps not.

[quote name="BaseBow" post="924172" timestamp="1291307026"]
[quote author=mat link=topic=76721.msg924162#msg924162 date=1291305869]
[quote author=BaseBow link=topic=76721.msg924079#msg924079 date=1291299221]
[quote author=football link=topic=76721.msg924062#msg924062 date=1291296717]
I thought that he had been in playoffs 16 out of 18 years.
[/quote]WITH EVERY BODY PRETTY MUCH MAKING THE PLAYOFFS IT IS NOT VERY HARD.... WELL 4 OUT OF THE 7 TEAMS GOING...HOW ABOUT A DISTRICT TITLE IN 20 YEARS ;)
[/quote]

Everyone wants a state title. How many area 4A teams have won a state title in the last 20 years?
[/quote]Nederland needs a [glow=red,2,300]DISTRICT TITLE [/glow] in the last 18 years not a state title
[/quote]Isn't it true that Nederland would be the 20-4A district champions this year, if they had stopped Central from scoring in the final minutes??

Hood ran mainly under center, no spread, they used multiple sets, alot of "I" and 3 and 4 reciever sets, good running game, good passing game and solid defense.  Like PNG this year, that group lost 3 games by 8 pionts, 32-30 @ WOS, 33-30 OT @ Friendswood and 40-37 @ Ozen and should have won all 3 games, just couldn't catch a break. That was my favorite bunch, Dustin, Micah, Ryan Butler, Darin Smith, Big Ron Mohica, Cody Deitz, if I remember right we were 1st in offense and defense that year. Great memories

[quote name="Bulldog8" post="924345" timestamp="1291319654"]
Most of the 16 playoff apperances only sent less than 4 teams. I do agree it is not that difficult now days to pad your reputation on playoff apperances, but there are many teams in our district that dont ever make it. Nederalnd's playoff runs started in the 90's when Neumann got the job. Yes, he has not won an out right district championship but most of the other teams in the district during his tenure have not either. At least he was co-champs a few times.

I understand your fustration Basebow and agree that Trevin should have the ball in hands when the game is on line. If you lose with your best, you know they beat your best.

I truly belive all coaches want to win every game and win district, however there is not much incentive when 4 go to playoffs.

[/quote]AT WORK ;D Never said the man was a bad coach ..But I just did not agree on the play calling and his decision makeing in games like Liv..Central...crosby I have no problems with Larry ..

[quote name="#1 NDNFAN" post="924756" timestamp="1291352503"]
[quote author=BaseBow link=topic=76721.msg924172#msg924172 date=1291307026]
[/quote]WITH EVERY BODY PRETTY MUCH MAKING THE PLAYOFFS IT IS NOT VERY HARD.... WELL 4 OUT OF THE 7 TEAMS GOING...HOW ABOUT A DISTRICT TITLE IN 20 YEARS ;)
[/quote]

Everyone wants a state title. How many area 4A teams have won a state title in the last 20 years?
[/quote]Nederland needs a [glow=red,2,300]DISTRICT TITLE [/glow] in the last 18 years not a state title
[/quote]Isn't it true that Nederland would be the 20-4A district champions this year, if they had stopped Central from scoring in the final minutes??
[/quote]Final seconds.... like 5seconds to be exact..Poor play calling in my opinon is the reason they got the ball back in the final seconds...But its over with and its baseball time I know we can get a district title on the diamond ;)

[quote name="Versey Ledbetter" post="924352" timestamp="1291320124"]
[quote author=football link=topic=76721.msg924336#msg924336 date=1291319013]
My turn to spell it out.  It is usually a different type of athlete that wins in those sports.  Also, at 4A it is usually different kids.
[/quote]

I don't understand what you mean be "different type of athlete".  Nederland had enough good athletes to beat the second place team this season (PN-G) and to take the district champs (Central) down to the wire.  This issue of Nederland not having the athletes to compete for district titles in football is pure BS.
[/quote]

I never said that they didn't have the athletes to win in football.  What I meant was, when did they ever have the best athletes on the field.  when were you able to look at it and say, wow, Nederland is bigger, faster, and stronger than every team in the district.  Athletes alone do not make district champs(ozen) but it helps.  Nederland has great kids and great athletes, just saying that they haven't been as athletically gifted as some of the teams in the district.

[quote name="BaseBow" post="924792" timestamp="1291369897"]
[quote author=Bulldog8 link=topic=76721.msg924345#msg924345 date=1291319654]

[/quote]AT WORK ;D Never said the man was a bad coach ..But I just did not agree on the play calling and his decision makeing in games like Liv..Central...crosby I have no problems with Larry ..
[/quote]
I kow you did not and did not mean to sound like you did

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="purpleeagle" post="925734" timestamp="1291462524"]
Could all you backseat coaches please help Mac Brown solve his problems to. Let him know just what he needs to do.  
[/quote]

Solution:  A) Push Dodds under the bus.  B)  Take over the AD position.  C)  Keep Applewhite.  D)  Fire everybody else.  E)  Saban's stock is down - see what it takes to get him and his staff to Austin. ;) ;D  F)  Fall back position - there's always Mike Leach.

[quote name="#1 NDNFAN" post="924756" timestamp="1291352503"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
False..They'd be Co-District Champs with PNG and Central, but could claim DC because of wins over both teams.

PNG ran a spread offense the past two years without a Cam Newton type at QB. Ran it very, very well to be exact. You need a Cam Newton Tpe to run the Spread Option! Besides Nederland had the closest thing to a Cam Newton Type this year. 6'5" 245 lb QB. Just couldn't run.  ;D

[quote name="badndn" post="925756" timestamp="1291471191"]
[quote author=#1 NDNFAN link=topic=76721.msg924756#msg924756 date=1291352503]
[/quote]

[/quote]
False..They'd be Co-District Champs with PNG and Central, but could claim DC because of wins over both teams.

PNG ran a spread offense the past two years without a Cam Newton type at QB. Ran it very, very well to be exact. You need a Cam Newton Tpe to run the Spread Option! Besides Nederland had the closest thing to a Cam Newton Type this year. 6'5" 245 lb QB. Just couldn't run.  ;D
[/quote]You guys had two of the best R.BS THE PAST TWO YEARS IN DISTRICT that helps the passing game a little ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder