Question about Nederland and Larry Neumann

nedfan88

[quote name="Versey Ledbetter" post="921786" timestamp="1291006954"]
Nederland's record over the last 5 seasons: [b]28-26 with ONE winning season[/b].  I can't understand this blind devotion to the current staff.  No doubt Larry Neumann was good for Nederland when he was hired almost 20 years ago but Nederland needs something to jump start the football program.  Look what new coaches have done for Nederland's basketball team or PN-G, Bridge City and Memorial's football teams. 
[/quote]

I know most will disagree with me on this but, I would not look at the overall record. Nederland has been 4-3 in district play the last 5 years and missed the playoffs once. 05 they were 3-1 in a shortened season (Rita) and 3-5 in the playoffs over that time.  
I think throwing Memorial and BC as comparison is not a good choice for a 5 year history.

2006 2007 2008 2009     2010
Nederland      (6-6) (7-3) (5-5) (5-6)     (5-6)
Bridge City      (6-4) (0-10) (4-4) (7-4)     (6-4)
Port Arthur Memorial     (6-5) (4-6) (3-6) (6-5)     (9-4)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more point, if you go to the games or buy a program you will notice over the last few years we only have about 40 players on varsity and 30% to 40% are under-classman, so there is not much depth and is very hard to replace key players if they get injured. One example this year is QB and losing Trevin for a game against Vidor & BH. I believe that we win that game if Trevin is out there.

[quote name="Bulldog8" post="922247" timestamp="1291064494"]
One more point, if you go to the games or buy a program you will notice over the last few years we only have about 40 players on varsity and 30% to 40% are under-classman, so there is not much depth and is very hard to replace key players if they get injured. One example this year is QB and losing Trevin for a game against Vidor & BH. I believe that we win that game if Trevin is out there. Nothing against the back-ups because they will do fine for us next year.
[/quote]

[quote name="Bulldog8" post="922232" timestamp="1291063895"]
[quote author=Versey Ledbetter link=topic=76721.msg921786#msg921786 date=1291006954]
Nederland's record over the last 5 seasons: [b]28-26 with ONE winning season[/b].  I can't understand this blind devotion to the current staff.  No doubt Larry Neumann was good for Nederland when he was hired almost 20 years ago but Nederland needs something to jump start the football program.  Look what new coaches have done for Nederland's basketball team or PN-G, Bridge City and Memorial's football teams. 
[/quote]

I know most will disagree with me on this but, I would not look at the overall record. Nederland has been 4-3 in district play the last 5 years and missed the playoffs once. 05 they were 3-1 in a shortened season (Rita) and 3-5 in the playoffs over that time.  
I think throwing Memorial and BC as comparison is not a good choice for a 5 year history.

2006 2007 2008 2009     2010
Nederland      (6-6) (7-3) (5-5) (5-6)     (5-6)
Bridge City      (6-4) (0-10) (4-4) (7-4)     (6-4)
Port Arthur Memorial     (6-5) (4-6) (3-6) (6-5)     (9-4)

[/quote]

My point about Bridge City and Memorial is that their new coaches [b]seem[/b] to have their programs heading in the right direction.  I realize that Stump has been at Bridge City for 4 seasons now so I guess he's no longer a new coach.  But there seems to be an energy and excitement around the programs I mentioned that I think is missing in Nederland. 

Let me be clear, I don't think Larry Neumann or the Nederland staff suddenly forgot how to coach.  I just think Nederland's football program is in a rut and something needs to be done about it.  Maybe this highly touted group of underclassmen coming up will turn it around.  But I just saw the All-District selections and apparently Nederland had a lot of talented players this year too. 

Guest strongend
Bridge City is loaded with talent, and so is memorial.  Let all of yall who know so much, please post your records and show us how good you really are.  If you havent won a lot of football games, maybe you should be happy your kid has a chance to play.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="922426" timestamp="1291077862"]
Overall athletics at Nederland, girls and boys, above normal. Nederland is becoming a melting pot and Coach Nuemann has guided this progression under the radar, out of the press and with very few hiccups.

I look at the whole program not just football, he is still the man.
[/quote]

Agreed. Everyone needs to go and read the post from the 20-4a all district thread, most of the posters when mention the Coach of the Year, most of them agree Nuemann should have received the award. Our competition recognizes adversity and how difficult it can be.

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="922426" timestamp="1291077862"]
Overall athletics at Nederland, girls and boys, above normal. Nederland is becoming a melting pot and Coach Nuemann has guided this progression under the radar, out of the press and with very few hiccups.

I look at the whole program not just football, he is still the man.
[/quote]

I totally agree but you living in Texas should know how important football in down here. Plain and simple. Good program or not if football ain't running right people start talking. Thats just how people from texas are. Its messed up but its true.

Nederland has had a ton of injuries at key spots, QB mainly, and our staff has overcome these and still made the playoffs, that being said, i think we should go back to a multiple formation offense with TE's and a power running game to go along with our passing game, I think the spread is good if you have a ton of speed, which we don't have, so let's go back to traps and miss direction play's and play action passing and fit our offense to our personel instead of trying to make our personel fit the spread, we're not out running anyone on jet sweeps and bubble screens. Our defense needs a little more time of possesion from our offense.

[quote name="football04" post="922567" timestamp="1291092538"]
  Nederland has had a ton of injuries at key spots, QB mainly, and our staff has overcome these and still made the playoffs, that being said, i think we should go back to a multiple formation offense with TE's and a power running game to go along with our passing game, I think the spread is good if you have a ton of speed, which we don't have, so let's go back to traps and miss direction play's and play action passing and fit our offense to our personel instead of trying to make our personel fit the spread, we're not out running anyone on jet sweeps and bubble screens. Our defense needs a little more time of possesion from our offense.
[/quote]Amen Brother, I've been saying this since Asa left.

There are more than a few frustrating things about the "spread" that we currently run in my opinion. A couple that stand out, again just my opinion..

1. The tempo is very slow. We look to the sidelines for 15-20 seconds before hiking the ball. We rarely vary from that and many times the defense is not set against us because they know they have all the time in the world to align. Quick plays and different tempos might soften up the defenses and catch them off guard at times.

2. We are in shotgun from the 1-yard line, which makes us need 5 or 6 yards instead of 1 yard. Is it that hard to get under center for 1 play and run a sneak with a 6-5 240 lb QB? I also saw a few times at the end of games where we are in shotgun to take a knee? Really? It seems a lot more can go wrong in shotgun, especially if just taking a knee.

I like the old offense better. What was wrong with having one of the top rushing attacks in the district, controlling the clock, and having an effective passing game when needed? It was that we were having trouble geting over the hump in the 3rd round and beyond in playoffs? Now making the playoffs has become the hump! I think we have fine coaches and am not bashing them in any way. I do, however, feel that if we are going to stick with the spread(which I think we will) that we need to tweak it some and get better at the tempo of it. I really like our coaches decisions to put in the "Wild Dog" and feel that in many games it was the difference. Hopefully, if we stay with the spread we will continue to evolve and get better at it. I am excited about all the underclassmen and looking forward to the next several years. We have plenty to be excited about.

These are all opinions of mine and I am by no means a coach(they know way more than I do), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once!  ;)

I agree Jake, it's not that hard to take a snap under center even if you are in the shotgun 99% of the time, practice it a few times and I guaranty 17-18 year old kids can do it. I know Southlake Carroll made the spread the greatest offense ever, but it's not for everyone, apparantly they had a ton of tallent because they have college and pro players everywhere, we don't. We use to go toe to toe with anyone in region 3, the only thing different from then is the spread offense, I'm not saying we need to run the "WingT", our old "I" and split backfields did great and we had one of the best passing games around, great QB's that stayed healthy and we where balanced on offense, I like the the old offensive philosiphy that you run the ball 60% of the time, but get 60% of your yards passing and your TE was key in getting 1st downs off of play action passes, this worked for the cowboys in the early 90's and it still works today.

[quote name="jake94" post="922720" timestamp="1291133455"]
There are more than a few frustrating things about the "spread" that we currently run in my opinion. A couple that stand out, again just my opinion..

1. The tempo is very slow. We look to the sidelines for 15-20 seconds before hiking the ball. We rarely vary from that and many times the defense is not set against us because they know they have all the time in the world to align. Quick plays and different tempos might soften up the defenses and catch them off guard at times.

2. We are in shotgun from the 1-yard line, which makes us need 5 or 6 yards instead of 1 yard. Is it that hard to get under center for 1 play and run a sneak with a 6-5 240 lb QB? I also saw a few times at the end of games where we are in shotgun to take a knee? Really? It seems a lot more can go wrong in shotgun, especially if just taking a knee.

I like the old offense better. What was wrong with having one of the top rushing attacks in the district, controlling the clock, and having an effective passing game when needed? It was that we were having trouble geting over the hump in the 3rd round and beyond in playoffs? Now making the playoffs has become the hump! I think we have fine coaches and am not bashing them in any way. I do, however, feel that if we are going to stick with the spread(which I think we will) that we need to tweak it some and get better at the tempo of it. I really like our coaches decisions to put in the "Wild Dog" and feel that in many games it was the difference. Hopefully, if we stay with the spread we will continue to evolve and get better at it. I am excited about all the underclassmen and looking forward to the next several years. We have plenty to be excited about.

These are all opinions of mine and I am by no means a coach(they know way more than I do), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once!  ;)
[/quote]Amen again, seems to work well for Wisconsin. The spread will be a thing of memory years down the road. Defense's seem to be geared for the spread because everybody's doing it. You now longer have the big linebackers, you have Athletic linebackers that couldn't stop a 220 back back if they wanted to, but they can cover a receiver.

[quote name="1696dogs" post="921883" timestamp="1291041395"]
I will say this. I know that in the paper the reporter did ask Neumann a question about why he did certain things in our last game and his response was that's not a good question. So I don't think you'd get much by talking to him or the board but that's just my opinion
[/quote]  Amen and why did'nt they put Trev in at QB, it seems when it was crunch time they would always pull him instead of sticking with the bread and butter. When you get inside the 10 does'nt make since to go to your leading scorer. Just have some questions about the play calls and player positions. Just Sayin!

Larry Nueman is a top 3 coach in this area. You only have to look back so you can see foward. Coach Nueman when given the right talent will get you were you want to go. Even more impressive is the years he doesnt have as much talent he will still get you down in the right direction. Winning when you should not. Signs of a good coach.

Guest Brubaker
Hammer, you ain't no Nederland boy... how can you be talkin such non-sense??? I don't get it?  You're tellin me that Neumann has done pretty dang good with 9 underclassmen starting on defense.... and with the freaking NUMEROUS depletions due to injury at QB???? Are you serious, you think it takes a good coach to LIVE through this kind of stuff???  In all seriousness... FOLKS better look out.  The man DON'T like to LOSE and he's got MONSTERS in his program.  Just sayin.  If Nederland stays healthy... LOOK the FREAK OUT!!!

[quote name="Jackthehammer" post="923819" timestamp="1291250307"]
Larry Nueman is a top 3 coach in this area. You only have to look back so you can see foward.[b] Coach Nueman when given the right talent will get you were you want to go[/b]. Even more impressive is the years he doesnt have as much talent he will still get you down in the right direction. Winning when you should not. Signs of a good coach.
[/quote]

I guess in 18 years he's only had the right talent once. 

[quote name="football" post="924062" timestamp="1291296717"]
I thought that he had been in playoffs 16 out of 18 years.
[/quote]WITH EVERY BODY PRETTY MUCH MAKING THE PLAYOFFS IT IS NOT VERY HARD.... WELL 4 OUT OF THE 7 TEAMS GOING...HOW ABOUT A DISTRICT TITLE IN 20 YEARS ;)

[quote name="BaseBow" post="924079" timestamp="1291299221"]
[quote author=football link=topic=76721.msg924062#msg924062 date=1291296717]
[/quote]WITH EVERY BODY PRETTY MUCH MAKING THE PLAYOFFS IT IS NOT VERY HARD.... WELL 4 OUT OF THE 7 TEAMS GOING...HOW ABOUT A DISTRICT TITLE IN 20 YEARS ;)
[/quote]

Everyone wants a state title. How many area 4A teams have won a state title in the last 20 years?

[quote name="mat" post="924162" timestamp="1291305869"]
[quote author=BaseBow link=topic=76721.msg924079#msg924079 date=1291299221]
[quote author=football link=topic=76721.msg924062#msg924062 date=1291296717]
[/quote]

Everyone wants a state title. How many area 4A teams have won a state title in the last 20 years?
[/quote]Nederland needs a [glow=red,2,300]DISTRICT TITLE [/glow] in the last 18 years not a state title

[quote name="football" post="924151" timestamp="1291305062"]
Which of those 20 years did he have the best athletes.  Nederland has always had good athletes(several that I would call great), but how many times have they been the most athletic team on the field. 
[/quote]

Nederland has good enough athletes to compete for and often win district titles year end and year out in baseball, soccer, cross-country, swimming, tennis and now basketball. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont