Nederland - PNG Prediction.

smitty

If stats alone won games, Warren Moon and the Oilers would have won three or four Super Bowls.  Back in the day when the Spread Offense was known as the Run and Shoot they racked up tons of yards and points.  This isn't fantasy football where raw stats win.  You can have the same issue with a defense - lots of yards, but timely stops and plays.  Nederland has been known for that even five or ten years ago.  It is a team game and stats can be misleading.  PNG had more yards, but lost.  How do you account for that? 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm purely talking about defensive stats.  Defense wins championships.  You must agree with this.  Consistently giving up 400-500 yards per game will not win many games.  Even neauman knows this.
Ok, so far, we've lost to a bad team and we've beaten a bad team.  We'll just have to wait and see what happens next.
Actually I hope you are right.  I hope we win the District Championship all the while giving up massive yardage.  Realistically I don't, and I don't think you do either, feel this will happen without playing better on "D".

[quote name="ispeakjive" post="867564" timestamp="1286414795"]
If stats alone won games, Warren Moon and the Oilers would have won three or four Super Bowls.  Back in the day when the Spread Offense was known as the Run and Shoot they racked up tons of yards and points.  This isn't fantasy football where raw stats win.  You can have the same issue with a defense - lots of yards, but timely stops and plays.  Nederland has been known for that even five or ten years ago.  It is a team game and stats can be misleading.  PNG had more yards, but lost.  How do you account for that? 
[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="866889" timestamp="1286336469"]
You have my answer. You may not like it but you have it.  Bring in a new DC and you will see an 1,000% improvement.  No doubt in my mind!    ;)

[quote author=The-NHS link=topic=73772.msg866862#msg866862 date=1286333935]
I still have yet to see your expert review on how we should be a better defensive team. I'm not talking about your typical change the DC answer. I want your expert review on how our defense can be better. Anyone can get on here and post Fire the DC. Lets see a little more substance.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Statistically that is a bogus thought, just because you bring in a new DC doesn't mean that you get better. Jerry Jones got rid of Jimmy Johnson and he has replaced him five times and has not improved his team. To get a DC to change schools other than a HC job would not be likely, you have no money to offer him and he would not leave a successful program for nothing. The only likely scenario would be that you know someone on the staff that you would like in that position.

i disagree to some extent.  True, though, you don't do it now.  You have to do after the season.  It's done all the time.  There are good DC's or potential DC's in the state of Texas that would love to come to Nederland. 

[quote name="dawgnut" post="867607" timestamp="1286417886"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg866889#msg866889 date=1286336469]
You have my answer. You may not like it but you have it.  Bring in a new DC and you will see an 1,000% improvement.  No doubt in my mind!    ;)

I still have yet to see your expert review on how we should be a better defensive team. I'm not talking about your typical change the DC answer. I want your expert review on how our defense can be better. Anyone can get on here and post Fire the DC. Lets see a little more substance.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Statistically that is a bogus thought, just because you bring in a new DC doesn't mean that you get better. Jerry Jones got rid of Jimmy Johnson and he has replaced him five times and has not improved his team. To get a DC to change schools other than a HC job would not be likely, you have no money to offer him and he would not leave a successful program for nothing. The only likely scenario would be that you know someone on the staff that you would like in that position.
[/quote]

Ken Clearman, Pat Fisher, Matt Burnett.  LOL!!!  Next!    But seriously if I was responsible for that desicion, I would seek out the best in the state of Texas.  ;D

[quote name="Gtj007" post="867630" timestamp="1286420278"]
Ok Smitty name 3 DC
[/quote]

That's a Jerry Jones problem of not being able to find the right person.  How many coaches are there in Texas?  A good DC could be found.

[quote name="dawgnut" post="867607" timestamp="1286417886"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg866889#msg866889 date=1286336469]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Our current DC has had many #1 ranked defenses in our district throughout his career with Nederland. I guess the years he had #1 defenses it was a fluke. Livingston this week. Livingston player for player will out man us all night. We do not have the players to physically match up against Livingston. We will load the box to stop the run. We will do all the right things with a defensive scheme to stop the run. PLAYERS MAKE THE PLAYS. We will hang with Livingston simply because our players play up. Livingston has four players on offense we simply can not run down if they get a step on us. Now, smitty, what is one to do against those odds. I say our coaches and our DC will find a way to get our players to play up. That is how Nederland has been successful each year for the past 15 or so years and the entire rest of our district rides a roller coaster of success and failure. We stay constant because of good men leading good kids..

James, save your breath. Its like talking to the wall. Still wondering if he has the stones to take his beef to the school board, or even Larry himself. If he does, I will be there to see the end results. Whats it gonna be Smitty? Please let me know when you appear before the board, or Larry (your choice) I wouldnt miss it for the world!!!

Come on, james, you know that statement can be verified.  Many No.1 defenses?  I say not true.  But, since you think there were, which years?  You may be right on a few years.  But even that I would have to call foul.  I'm not opposed to it if it is true. I just don't think it is. 

[quote name="James Mosley" post="867870" timestamp="1286468930"]
Our current DC has had many #1 ranked defenses in our district throughout his career with Nederland. I guess the years he had #1 defenses it was a fluke. Livingston this week. Livingston player for player will out man us all night. We do not have the players to physically match up against Livingston. We will load the box to stop the run. We will do all the right things with a defensive scheme to stop the run. PLAYERS MAKE THE PLAYS. We will hang with Livingston simply because our players play up. Livingston has four players on offense we simply can not run down if they get a step on us. Now, smitty, what is one to do against those odds. I say our coaches and our DC will find a way to get our players to play up. That is how Nederland has been successful each year for the past 15 or so years and the entire rest of our district rides a roller coaster of success and failure. We stay constant because of good men leading good kids..
[/quote]

It's not my call to do what you say.  It's strictly the HC's.  He hasn't made a move yet so obviously he thinks he's doing a jam-up job.  But along with that, one must live with the consequences of their actions.  That's what's good about America.
Now, outanup, since you think this DC is the greatest since slice bread, give me proof.  But keep it on the performance level.  No touchy-feely stuff.  There's nothing personal here.

[quote name="outanup" post="867880" timestamp="1286469871"]
James, save your breath. Its like talking to the wall. Still wondering if he has the stones to take his beef to the school board, or even Larry himself. If he does, I will be there to see the end results. Whats it gonna be Smitty? Please let me know when you appear before the board, or Larry (your choice) I wouldnt miss it for the world!!!
[/quote]

What????    ???  ???    ???

[quote name="dawgnut" post="868185" timestamp="1286494900"]
For a man of facts suddenly you "think!" If you thought then you would answer the statement about it being your fault. You rejected the bond, it's your fault!
[/quote]

As I recall -- I was RIGHT about the bond issue.  And I'm right about this issue as well.    ;D  ;)    ::)

[quote name="dawgnut" post="868185" timestamp="1286494900"]
For a man of facts suddenly you "think!" If you thought then you would answer the statement about it being your fault. You rejected the bond, it's your fault!
[/quote]

Once again, if you have the stones....step up and take it to someone who may or may not be able to do something about it. If not, then backoff. Attacking the man on a messageboard, and calling for his job is a spineless, weak, and cowardly way to go about this......Nothing personal here.

Step up and provide facts that show I'm wrong.  Being a kool-aid drinker and bobble head is easy.  Defend your position. Reason maybe you haven't, is that you can't?!  Hummmmm!!!???    ::)    ;)

[quote name="outanup" post="868232" timestamp="1286497717"]
Once again, if you have the stones....step up and take it to someone who may or may not be able to do something about it. If not, then backoff. Attacking the man on a messageboard, and calling for his job is a spineless, weak, and cowardly way to go about this......Nothing personal here.
[/quote]

Let me help you out.  James stated that Ned., under this DC, has had No. 1 defenses in the past.  I stated I don't think so.  I ask him to provide the year(s) so that can be verified.  You want to help him out and provide the year(s)?

[quote name="outanup" post="868264" timestamp="1286499854"]
Two words, Spineless......Cowardly.
[/quote]

[quote name="GrayDog" post="868247" timestamp="1286498699"]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=73772.msg868208#msg868208 date=1286495991]
PNG by 20 k thx bye.
[/quote]

Leave it to Crosby to make a prediction on a game that was already played!  OH, he must have been talking about the PNG whipping of crosby earlier this year...   :o
[/quote]

It was a joke to a friend fyi, thats what he yelled out before the game. =P

[quote name="smitty" post="868182" timestamp="1286494605"]
Come on, james, you know that statement can be verified.  Many No.1 defenses?  I say not true.  But, since you think there were, which years?  You may be right on a few years.  But even that I would have to call foul.  I'm not opposed to it if it is true. I just don't think it is. 

[quote author=James Mosley link=topic=73772.msg867870#msg867870 date=1286468930]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Ok, jock, 2001, 2003

Let's clarify before we verify: are you saying Ned ended the regular season as the No. 1 defense during these years?

[quote name="Bulldog8" post="868284" timestamp="1286501145"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg868182#msg868182 date=1286494605]

[quote author=James Mosley link=topic=73772.msg867870#msg867870 date=1286468930]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Ok, jock, 2001, 2003
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder