Nederland - PNG Prediction.

smitty

Look folks, Smitty has his opinion and he's sticking to it.  You can't argue with him because he's a stat guy, and the stats were impressive for PNG.  However, you talk to any PNG fan and they will tell you, we got after PNG on defense pretty good last night.  A large chunk of those yards were us protecting a 2 TD lead, we can argue about the strategy of the prevent, but it worked last night and I think it was the right approach.  We sacked Doty twice and pressured him several times.  I thought it was an inspired performance, but hey maybe my glass is too much on the half full side?  One other note, I loved our kickoff coverage... love seeing #17 out there, real head hunter.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="smitty" post="863981" timestamp="1286040822"]
Why do people accept mediocrity?    ???  ???
Your comment "I am smarter than all of you".  Did I make up 516 yards?  It's been almost this much every game.  Did I make those up??  You are right on all your points except that last one.  It's not hard to make comments when these FACTS keep coming up!   ;D   ::)

[quote author=ispeakjive link=topic=73772.msg863963#msg863963 date=1286039030]
Allow me to go ahead and save you some time and a few posts, Smitty:

-Too many yards last night;
-Too many points given up;
-Defense is still terrible;
-We shouldn't have won;
-Good teams will beat us;
-DC is awful and should be replaced;
-I am smarter than all of you

That should just about cover it.  Please feel free to give it a rest for a day or so while some us enjoy a good win.  

[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg863940#msg863940 date=1286037498]
What's up Bear backer?  I see your team won.  Great.  Well, my team did win.  It's good to beat PN-G any time.  But the concerns I have still exist to the tune of 516 yards.  You might beat bad teams, like we did, but you want consistently beat good teams giving up that many yards.  That's only common sense.  Educated or otherwise.   ;D

[quote author=elhector1 link=topic=73772.msg863829#msg863829 date=1286028402]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg862617#msg862617 date=1285957426]
Sad to say but here goes:   PN-G  35    Nederland  14
[/quote]

From the semi-educated Bear backer...

Guess your "educated" self got "schooled" by the team you supposedly pay taxes to. 

How does that crow taste?  Just like chicken?
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
You make it sound like we can go recruit like coolege or pro teams that draft. We play with the kids we have. Those players give it 100% and something to be proud of.

Immediately?  Wishful thinking.  LOL!!  But, yes, it would be a step in the right direction.  Deep down inside, the HC has to believe this also.  IMHO.

[quote name="ispeakjive" post="863984" timestamp="1286041053"]
You should either start a petition or go to school board meetings and ask for Coach Spell to be fired or reassigned.  If you believe that strongly, put your name to it and get the ball rolling.  I am sure Mr. Madding and the board will comply with your request immediately.  
[/quote]

I never blame the kids.  Our kids are no different then other schools.  We may have a little less talent than some, but more than others.  It's against the slightly more talented teams that coaching comes into play.  Again, it goes back to my central point.  Like I stated in a previous post, the HC has to realize the problem.  But if the HC is satisfied with the defense year after year then nothing will change.  His choice. 
Stats ALWAYS tells a story.  Remember, defense wins championships.  No matter how many times you give up over 500 yards, your chances are reduced considerably.  But let me state again, our kids are not the problem.  I did question the QB's leadership, but not his ability.  But the offense did bale us out this time.  And that's good. 

[quote name="player66" post="864051" timestamp="1286047797"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg863981#msg863981 date=1286040822]
Why do people accept mediocrity?    ???  ???
Your comment "I am smarter than all of you".  Did I make up 516 yards?  It's been almost this much every game.  Did I make those up??  You are right on all your points except that last one.  It's not hard to make comments when these FACTS keep coming up!   ;D   ::)

[quote author=ispeakjive link=topic=73772.msg863963#msg863963 date=1286039030]
Allow me to go ahead and save you some time and a few posts, Smitty:

-Too many yards last night;
-Too many points given up;
-Defense is still terrible;
-We shouldn't have won;
-Good teams will beat us;
-DC is awful and should be replaced;
-I am smarter than all of you

That should just about cover it.  Please feel free to give it a rest for a day or so while some us enjoy a good win.  

[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg863940#msg863940 date=1286037498]
What's up Bear backer?  I see your team won.  Great.  Well, my team did win.  It's good to beat PN-G any time.  But the concerns I have still exist to the tune of 516 yards.  You might beat bad teams, like we did, but you want consistently beat good teams giving up that many yards.  That's only common sense.  Educated or otherwise.   ;D

[quote author=elhector1 link=topic=73772.msg863829#msg863829 date=1286028402]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg862617#msg862617 date=1285957426]
Sad to say but here goes:   PN-G  35    Nederland  14
[/quote]

From the semi-educated Bear backer...

Guess your "educated" self got "schooled" by the team you supposedly pay taxes to. 

How does that crow taste?  Just like chicken?
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
You make it sound like we can go recruit like coolege or pro teams that draft. We play with the kids we have. Those players give it 100% and something to be proud of.
[/quote]

True.  Winning is the main thing.  Try giving up 600 yards a game and see how many games a team actually wins.  See my point?  If Livingston has 300-400 yards rushing it's gonna be hard.  Because this also keeps the offense off the field.

[quote name="football04" post="864083" timestamp="1286049788"]
Our defense is young and PNG is a good offense, we will continue to get better as the year goes on, staying healthy would help. I'm sure Livingston is going to have some rushing yards this week also but if we win who cares.
[/quote]

A team can have 400-500 yards a game, but still lose.  Why?  Because your defense stands up in situations where it needs to do so.  The stat you provide is meaningless unless all those yards traslate into points.  I can drive 90 yards, and end up with a field goal.  If you drive 80 yards and score a TD, I won the tale of the stats...but YOU won the game.  That is what happened yesterday. 

I'm thinking somewhere down the line there may have been a Smitty, Jr. that Smitty believed was a budding defensive superstar at Nederland who didn't get the playing time he thought he deserved.  Heck, Spell has been there long enough that maybe it was Smitty himself.  His criticism is too personal, persistent, and irrational to not be rooted in something personal.  

Bottom line on last night is that Nederland beat a good offensive team.  Good teams find ways to win when they are not firing on all cylinders.  PNG had a lot of yards, but stops were made when they were needed and the offense did their job.  With all the underclassmen starting and contributing on defense I don't think an NFL defensive coordinator would make a difference in the defensive performance.  The young kid will get better and hopefully thing will gel.  

[quote name="Roughrider" post="864553" timestamp="1286070158"]
Smitty, we found out who you are......HA HA HA HA.....If people only knew!  :D :D :D :D :D
[/quote]

Rider, next time I see you we'll talk, I know there's a lot of folks on this board who want to put Smitty on their Christmas Card list.  Thanks buddy.

[quote author=Roughrider link=topic=73772.msg864553#msg864553 date=1286070158]
Smitty, we found out who you are......HA HA HA HA.....If people only knew!  :D :D :D :D :D
[/quote}]

smitty shows a LACK of respect for all of our coaches...I have heard this recently,
somewhere.  Glad that he doesn't have any students in our program or
schools.  Nederland has too much to look forward to, WITHOUT this joker's
comments. 

I think we should all ignore his posts!  Maybe he'll find a new soap
box.

I should have ignored this last post of his, but he is such a poseur and
I can't believe anyone would buy his rhetoric about caring about Nederland.

Oh, I'm in charge of the defense that keeps giving up massive yardage?  Funny!  ???  ::)

[quote name="dawgnut" post="864354" timestamp="1286061146"]
Don't try using logic with smitty, if he understood logic then he would be able to see that he's the problem, not the DC.
[/quote]

Really?!  Then let the people know the FACTS.  But facts seem to be rare around here.  LOL!!    ;D

[quote name="Roughrider" post="864553" timestamp="1286070158"]
[/quote]

Well, newbie, you couldn't be more wrong on all accounts.  LOL!!!!  This is just to frickin easy!!!!!    ;D

[quote name="ispeakjive" post="864640" timestamp="1286073621"]
I'm thinking somewhere down the line there may have been a Smitty, Jr. that Smitty believed was a budding defensive superstar at Nederland who didn't get the playing time he thought he deserved.  Heck, Spell has been there long enough that maybe it was Smitty himself.  His criticism is too personal, persistent, and irrational to not be rooted in something personal.  

Bottom line on last night is that Nederland beat a good offensive team.  Good teams find ways to win when they are not firing on all cylinders.  PNG had a lot of yards, but stops were made when they were needed and the offense did their job.  With all the underclassmen starting and contributing on defense I don't think an NFL defensive coordinator would make a difference in the defensive performance.  The young kids will get better and hopefully thing will gel.  

But you don't want to hear that, so let me appease you - Coach Spell sucks, you're right.  Ridiculous.  
[/quote]

Funny!    ;D

[quote name="baddog" post="864559" timestamp="1286070403"]
[/quote]

He's the cleanup guy at the humane society? So that's what he's got against Dogs.
[/quote]

No, newbie, there is only one I'm concerned about.  Get your facts straight if you are gonna try and contribute.  LOL!!    ::) 

[quote name="willforever" post="864679" timestamp="1286076004"]
[/quote}]

smitty shows a LACK of respect for all of our coaches...I have heard this recently,
somewhere.  Glad that he doesn't have any students in our program or
schools.  Nederland has too much to look forward to, WITHOUT this joker's
comments. 

I think we should all ignore his posts!  Maybe he'll find a new soap
box.

I should have ignored this last post of his, but he is such a poseur and
I can't believe anyone would buy his rhetoric about caring about Nederland.

[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="864973" timestamp="1286126571"]
Oh, I'm in charge of the defense that keeps giving up massive yardage?  Funny!  ???   ::)

[quote author=dawgnut link=topic=73772.msg864354#msg864354 date=1286061146]
Don't try using logic with smitty, if he understood logic then he would be able to see that he's the problem, not the DC.
[/quote]
[/quote]

No smitty you are one of the "don't care" folks that voted against the bond, so that makes it your fault! Think about it, you think you have all the answers!

So, if we would have passed the bond, then our DC would do a better job?!  This is what I like about this forum: Comedians everywhere!  LOL!!!!    ;D    ::)

[quote name="dawgnut" post="865011" timestamp="1286130474"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg864973#msg864973 date=1286126571]
Oh, I'm in charge of the defense that keeps giving up massive yardage?  Funny!  ???   ::)

[quote author=dawgnut link=topic=73772.msg864354#msg864354 date=1286061146]
[/quote]
[/quote]

No smitty you are one of the "don't care" folks that voted against the bond, so that makes it your fault! Think about it, you think you have all the answers!
[/quote]

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="ispeakjive" post="865073" timestamp="1286136316"]
Sincerest apologies, Smitty.  I pegged it wrong.  You are just a veteran, naysaying tool. 

Love, Newbie
[/quote]

I enjoy reading posts that downgrade a poster's opinion because he has not tallied close to 1000 posts on the setx message board "where everyone knows everything." That is comical to say the least.

Not down grading a "newbies" post.  I just say it when they offer nothing to the conversation other than a personal attack with no facts.  If any off them would defend the DC with facts other then touchy-feely, comments or personal attacks then I wouldn't say anything about being a newbie!  ::)

[quote name="The-NHS" post="865099" timestamp="1286138284"]
[quote author=ispeakjive link=topic=73772.msg865073#msg865073 date=1286136316]
Sincerest apologies, Smitty.  I pegged it wrong.  You are just a veteran, naysaying tool. 

Love, Newbie
[/quote]

I enjoy reading posts that downgrade a poster's opinion because he has not tallied close to 1000 posts on the setx message board "where everyone knows everything." That is comical to say the least.
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami