Nederland - PNG Prediction.

smitty

Guest rykerx144
[quote name="smitty" post="865101" timestamp="1286138630"]
Not down grading a "newbies" post.  [b][size=14pt]I just say it when they offer nothing to the conversation other than a personal attack with no facts. [/size] [/b]  If any off them would defend the DC with facts other then touchy-feely, comments or personal attacks then I wouldn't say anything about being a newbie!   ::)

[quote author=The-NHS link=topic=73772.msg865099#msg865099 date=1286138284]
[quote author=ispeakjive link=topic=73772.msg865073#msg865073 date=1286136316]
Sincerest apologies, Smitty.  I pegged it wrong.  You are just a veteran, naysaying tool. 

Love, Newbie
[/quote]

I enjoy reading posts that downgrade a poster's opinion because he has not tallied close to 1000 posts on the setx message board "where everyone knows everything." That is comical to say the least.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I enjoy the irony in that statment! 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The-NHS
[quote name="rykerx144" post="865109" timestamp="1286139264"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg865101#msg865101 date=1286138630]
Not down grading a "newbies" post.  [b][size=14pt]I just say it when they offer nothing to the conversation other than a personal attack with no facts. [/size] [/b]  If any off them would defend the DC with facts other then touchy-feely, comments or personal attacks then I wouldn't say anything about being a newbie!   ::)

Sincerest apologies, Smitty.  I pegged it wrong.  You are just a veteran, naysaying tool. 

Love, Newbie
[/quote]

I enjoy reading posts that downgrade a poster's opinion because he has not tallied close to 1000 posts on the setx message board "where everyone knows everything." That is comical to say the least.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I caught this also. I'm still waiting for his expert review on how we should solve our defensive woes.

[quote name="smitty" post="865029" timestamp="1286132650"]
So, if we would have passed the bond, then our DC would do a better job?!   This is what I like about this forum: Comedians everywhere!   LOL!!!!    ;D    ::)

[quote author=dawgnut link=topic=73772.msg865011#msg865011 date=1286130474]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg864973#msg864973 date=1286126571]
Oh, I'm in charge of the defense that keeps giving up massive yardage?  Funny!  ???   ::)

[quote author=dawgnut link=topic=73772.msg864354#msg864354 date=1286061146]
Don't try using logic with smitty, if he understood logic then he would be able to see that he's the problem, not the DC.
[/quote]
[/quote]

No smitty you are one of the "don't care" folks that voted against the bond, so that makes it your fault! Think about it, you think you have all the answers!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Your so smart smitty think about it, in a year or two you may figure it out, then again maybe not!

What an awsome game!!  All the negative comments only pumped our boys up to come together as a team and show everybody that they wern't going to lay down and die.  They played their hearts out.  Even the pep rally was the best I have ever seen at Nederland High School.  The entire gym stood up the whole pep rally and screamed.  One of the captains (#4) gave an excellant speech that pumped everyone up and he meant business.  I think PNG came into the game with the attitude that there was no way NHS could beat them and that worked to our advantage. Also the fans were incredible.  At first I thought we were too quite but once the team got going then you couldn't hear yourself think it was soo loud.  Thats the way it should be every game no matter what.
That just goes to show you that the dog's hearts are in this to win.  Good Luck Dogs on your next game.  You can do anything you set your mind/heart to.

I have a feeling we'll be having this discussion for years to come.  But, you are right, only time will tell.

[quote name="dawgnut" post="865313" timestamp="1286156920"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg865029#msg865029 date=1286132650]
So, if we would have passed the bond, then our DC would do a better job?!   This is what I like about this forum: Comedians everywhere!   LOL!!!!    ;D    ::)

[quote author=dawgnut link=topic=73772.msg865011#msg865011 date=1286130474]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg864973#msg864973 date=1286126571]
Oh, I'm in charge of the defense that keeps giving up massive yardage?  Funny!  ???   ::)

[quote author=dawgnut link=topic=73772.msg864354#msg864354 date=1286061146]
Don't try using logic with smitty, if he understood logic then he would be able to see that he's the problem, not the DC.
[/quote]
[/quote]

No smitty you are one of the "don't care" folks that voted against the bond, so that makes it your fault! Think about it, you think you have all the answers!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Your so smart smitty think about it, in a year or two you may figure it out, then again maybe not!
[/quote]

What, being a newbie to board with no facts is a personal attack????    ???  ???

[quote name="rykerx144" post="865109" timestamp="1286139264"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg865101#msg865101 date=1286138630]

Love, Newbie
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No one is saying that the defense did not give up a lot of yards or that PNG put up a lot of points.  But the undeniable facts that you can't dispute are that the Dogs won, the defense made the stops they needed to, the starting middle linebacker is out with an injury, and that we are starting a lot of Sophs on defense.  There are your facts.

Everyone would love to see the defense pitch shutouts every week, but that is not realistic with any team.  Good coaches and staffs play and coach to their strengths and the strength of this team is the offense.  If the defense can keep us in games (regardless of the yards given up), you hope that the offense does its job and the wins come.

But, I am sure these facts are irrelevant to you since I have not recorded a million posts. 

No, you make some good points.  All I'm saying is any team that gives up 400-500 yards a game will not win in the long run.  The young defense argument is always used.  A lot of times I do not buy that, but...  
But along with that argument, we must have had a senior dominated defense last year.  We had pretty much the same type of performance.  So, what happened there?  There's only one constant!!

[quote name="ispeakjive" post="866793" timestamp="1286328256"]
No one is saying that the defense did not give up a lot of yards or that PNG put up a lot of points.  But the undeniable facts that you can't dispute are that the Dogs won, the defense made the stops they needed to, the starting middle linebacker is out with an injury, and that we are starting a lot of Sophs on defense.  There are your facts.

Everyone would love to see the defense pitch shutouts every week, but that is not realistic with any team.  Good coaches and staffs play and coach to their strengths and the strength of this team is the offense.  If the defense can keep us in games (regardless of the yards given up), you hope that the offense does its job and the wins come.

But, I am sure these facts are irrelevant to you since I have not recorded a million posts.  
[/quote]

I'll take young and talented over senior dominated and average any day.  The potential for improvement is there and I think there is a lot of upside to this group.  The DC is constant but neither he nor Neumann have any control over the talent level.  As best I know neither one of them were present at conception for any of their players.  They have to play the hand they were dealt and they have a pretty good hand right now on offense. 

I don't disagree with you in the long run about that kind of yardage, but if your offense compensates that dictates how you play for that particular season. 

Surely an objective poster like yourself Smitty, can be honest about the travesty that injuries wrecked on our offense last year.  For the better part of the year, our defense was on the field for significant stretches of the game.  Please show your objectivity and take last year out of it.  I'm sure you can strum up other performances to tear the mans job performance down, you being who you are and all, but I would think even you could see last year as a special case of hard luck all the way around for the Dogs.  Ironically, it was a stellar defensive performance last year against Vidor that got us the crucial win to vault us into the playoffs, overcoming all the tough luck.  For the most part I just read what you have to say, but sometimes YOUR AGENDA goes over the line, this was one of those times.

[quote name="smitty" post="866799" timestamp="1286328884"]
No, you make some good points.  All I'm saying is any team that gives up 400-500 yards a game will not win in the long run.  The young defense argument is always used.  A lot of times I do not buy that, but...  
But along with that argument, we must have had a senior dominated defense last year.  We had pretty much the same type of performance.  So, what happened there?  There's only one constant!!

[quote author=ispeakjive link=topic=73772.msg866793#msg866793 date=1286328256]
No one is saying that the defense did not give up a lot of yards or that PNG put up a lot of points.  But the undeniable facts that you can't dispute are that the Dogs won, the defense made the stops they needed to, the starting middle linebacker is out with an injury, and that we are starting a lot of Sophs on defense.  There are your facts.

Everyone would love to see the defense pitch shutouts every week, but that is not realistic with any team.  Good coaches and staffs play and coach to their strengths and the strength of this team is the offense.  If the defense can keep us in games (regardless of the yards given up), you hope that the offense does its job and the wins come.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Well, the point I was making is if we can't play good defense with seniors and can't play good defense with young ones, then there must be another problem. 

[quote name="ispeakjive" post="866821" timestamp="1286330689"]
I'll take young and talented over senior dominated and average any day.  The potential for improvement is there and I think there is a lot of upside to this group.  The DC is constant but neither he nor Neumann have any control over the talent level.  As best I know neither one of them were present at conception for any of their players.  They have to play the hand they were dealt and they have a pretty good hand right now on offense. 

I don't disagree with you in the long run about that kind of yardage, but if your offense compensates that dictates how you play for that particular season. 

[/quote]

I just used last year as another example.  I could have pulled year before that and the one before that.  
The only agenda I have is to see that we have the best coaches to teach the kids.  I wish we had the best DC in the state of Texas.  And we were allowing very few yards and points.  But you and I know that's not the case.  We have stats to prove it year in and year out.  And sadly for many years to come I'm afraid.  But that part is speculation at this point.  But history does sometimes keep repeating itself.  Like I've said many times before, nothing personal here.  Just looking at performance.  And it's not the kids fault.  You can blame them if you wish.  You take up for the DC so there's only one other aspect that's the problem then, right.  But I appreciate you coming out of hiding every now and then and TRYING to show me where I'm wrong.  But those darn stats year in and year out keep getting in the way.   ;D

[quote name="Penny" post="866841" timestamp="1286331808"]
Surely an objective poster like yourself Smitty, can be honest about the travesty that injuries wrecked on our offense last year.  For the better part of the year, our defense was on the field for significant stretches of the game.  Please show your objectivity and take last year out of it.  I'm sure you can strum up other performances to tear the mans job performance down, you being who you are and all, but I would think even you could see last year as a special case of hard luck all the way around for the Dogs.  Ironically, it was a stellar defensive performance last year against Vidor that got us the crucial win to vault us into the playoffs, overcoming all the tough luck.  For the most part I just read what you have to say, but sometimes YOUR AGENDA goes over the line, this was one of those times.

[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg866799#msg866799 date=1286328884]
But along with that argument, we must have had a senior dominated defense last year.  We had pretty much the same type of performance.  So, what happened there?  There's only one constant!!

[quote author=ispeakjive link=topic=73772.msg866793#msg866793 date=1286328256]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Guest The-NHS
I still have yet to see your expert review on how we should be a better defensive team. I'm not talking about your typical change the DC answer. I want your expert review on how our defense can be better. Anyone can get on here and post Fire the DC. Lets see a little more substance.

Even if they are very talented, it is unrealistic to expect a sophomore-heavy defense to shut teams down week in and week out.  In my opinion, you can afford to do that with a year like this where your offense is solid.  If the talent is not great on defense I think it is unfair to blame the DC.  If you look back at the good defenses from the past five or ten years, they were loaded with talent: Piletere, Sanchez, Cobb, Johnson, and so on.  With all due respect to the last couple years' kids, there was a little drop-off.  This group can and will be good.  

If you want to criticize or judge a DC, do it on scheme or how he adjusts during games.  I think all of that is solid right now, we have just lacked playmakers the last couple years.  Throw out last year and this is a rebuilding year.  

Now, if you want to look at an example of a DC not scheming or adjusting properly, look no further than the PNG  DC last Friday.  With all due respect to our neighbors across the tracks, they never adjusted to or stopped the Wildcat and that was a big factor in the game.  I was shocked (and glad) that they never stepped up to stop Sonnier ripping it up the middle.  

Show me something like that Smitty and then I will quit drinking the Kool-Aid.  Saying they miss tackles or give up yards doesn't cut it.    

You have my answer. You may not like it but you have it.  Bring in a new DC and you will see an 1,000% improvement.  No doubt in my mind!    ;)

[quote name="The-NHS" post="866862" timestamp="1286333935"]
I still have yet to see your expert review on how we should be a better defensive team. I'm not talking about your typical change the DC answer. I want your expert review on how our defense can be better. Anyone can get on here and post Fire the DC. Lets see a little more substance.
[/quote]

[And it's not the kids fault.  You can blame them if you wish.  You take up for the DC so there's only one other aspect that's the problem then, right.  But I appreciate you coming out of hiding every now and then and TRYING to show me where I'm wrong.  But those darn stats year in and year out keep getting in the way.   ;D

Never, not one time blamed our kids.  Sometimes 2+2 = 4, no matter how bad we want it to equal 10.  

First of all, AGAIN, I don't blame the kids.  Missed tackles and giving up yards, I blame the coaches and DC in particular.  Like I said before, I'll leave blaming the kids to others!   ;)

[quote name="ispeakjive" post="866879" timestamp="1286335093"]
Even if they are very talented, it is unrealistic to expect a sophomore-heavy defense to shut teams down week in and week out.  In my opinion, you can afford to do that with a year like this where your offense is solid.  If the talent is not great on defense I think it is unfair to blame the DC.  If you look back at the good defenses from the past five or ten years, they were loaded with talent: Piletere, Sanchez, Cobb, Johnson, and so on.  With all due respect to the last couple years' kids, there was a little drop-off.  This group can and will be good.  

If you want to criticize or judge a DC, do it on scheme or how he adjusts during games.  I think all of that is solid right now, we have just lacked playmakers the last couple years.  Throw out last year and this is a rebuilding year.  

Now, if you want to look at an example of a DC not scheming or adjusting properly, look no further than the PNG  DC last Friday.  With all due respect to our neighbors across the tracks, they never adjusted to or stopped the Wildcat and that was a big factor in the game.  I was shocked (and glad) that they never stepped up to stop Sonnier ripping it up the middle.  

Show me something like that Smitty and then I will quit drinking the Kool-Aid.  Saying they miss tackles or give up yards doesn't cut it.    
[/quote]

Well, we play bad on "D" and you constantly take up for the coach.  So what's left?  You may not come out and say it but you infer it by the statements you do make.    ::)

[quote name="Penny" post="866890" timestamp="1286336527"]
[And it's not the kids fault.  You can blame them if you wish.  You take up for the DC so there's only one other aspect that's the problem then, right.  But I appreciate you coming out of hiding every now and then and TRYING to show me where I'm wrong.  But those darn stats year in and year out keep getting in the way.   ;D

Never, not one time blamed our kids.  Sometimes 2+2 = 4, no matter how bad we want it to equal 10.  
[/quote]

What fact do you base that on?

[quote name="smitty" post="866889" timestamp="1286336469"]
You have my answer. You may not like it but you have it.  Bring in a new DC and you will see an 1,000% improvement.  No doubt in my mind!    ;)

[quote author=The-NHS link=topic=73772.msg866862#msg866862 date=1286333935]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I am not blaming the kids from any particular season, just stating facts as you always demand of everyone else.  And, after inferring that I was blaming the kids, you failed to address any of the other issues I brought up.  That speaks volumes, in my opinion. 

To just say that replacing the DC would "improve the defense 1000%" lacks any basis in fact.  You are losing your clothes, emperor.

[quote name="smitty" post="866893" timestamp="1286336628"]
First of all, AGAIN, I don't blame the kids.  Missed tackles and giving up yards, I blame the coaches and DC in particular.  Like I said before, I'll leave blaming the kids to others!   ;)

[quote author=ispeakjive link=topic=73772.msg866879#msg866879 date=1286335093]

[/quote]
[/quote]

How long have you been following Ned football?  You think this is just a recent phenomena?  I have been pointing out, in my opinion, a problem here for many years. With the exception of 5-7 years, this DC has had performance problems. During those years, I thought the problem was corrected.  Not the case.  We are back to the way it was.
We can go back to DeRouen's stint if you wish.  One can ALWAYS go back and read the newspapers and find the actual numbers (stats) for any year.  Meaning the facts.  I'm willing because I know what they'll show. Are you?

[quote name="ispeakjive" post="866899" timestamp="1286337376"]
I am not blaming the kids from any particular season, just stating facts as you always demand of everyone else.  And, after inferring that I was blaming the kids, you failed to address any of the other issues I brought up.  That speaks volumes, in my opinion.  

To just say that replacing the DC would "improve the defense 1000%" lacks any basis in fact.  You are losing your clothes, emperor.

[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg866893#msg866893 date=1286336628]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Where are you at, ISpeak?    ???

[quote name="smitty" post="866919" timestamp="1286342232"]
How long have you been following Ned football?  You think this is just a recent phenomena?  I have been pointing out, in my opinion, a problem here for many years. With the exception of 5-7 years, this DC has had performance problems. During those years, I thought the problem was corrected.  Not the case.  We are back to the way it was.
We can go back to DeRouen's stint if you wish.  One can ALWAYS go back and read the newspapers and find the actual numbers (stats) for any year.  Meaning the facts.  I'm willing because I know what they'll show. Are you?

[quote author=ispeakjive link=topic=73772.msg866899#msg866899 date=1286337376]
I am not blaming the kids from any particular season, just stating facts as you always demand of everyone else.  And, after inferring that I was blaming the kids, you failed to address any of the other issues I brought up.  That speaks volumes, in my opinion.  

To just say that replacing the DC would "improve the defense 1000%" lacks any basis in fact.  You are losing your clothes, emperor.

[quote author=smitty link=topic=73772.msg866893#msg866893 date=1286336628]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I am right here and I have been for the last 20 plus years. 

You know what they say about lies, damn lies and statistics.

Even in some of the deep playoff runs we gave up yardage.  The main stat is the 'W'.  But, I have noticed that both OC and DC look better when they are flush with talent.  Schemes, etc. are solid IMHO, it is just about executions.  Better players execute better than average ones.  Quite the concept. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476