Can Nederland?!

smitty

This is just my opinion on this board.  Again. it's left up to Neauman to make a move or keep going with what he's got.  But if Nederland continues to flounder, then it becomes Neauman's problem.  Then the board will have to make a decision on him since he's the responsible party.  Only time will tell.  IMHO.

[quote name="outanup" post="847651" timestamp="1284510687"]
Well said EX-Ceauxch. Sure, this isnt one of Neds better defenses but, Im not of the opinion its a DC problem. With that being said, this is a forum to express ones concerns. Smitty, have you taken this up at a school board meeting? You seem very passionate about this.

[/quote]

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right on the point situation.  But looking at the first 3 games, it appears, so far, that the elite teams are:  LC-M, Lumberton, Livingston, and PN-G.  One can't rule out Central.  They have played fairly stiff competition.  So that leaves Ozen and Vidor that Nederland may be above.  I wish Nederland would have shown me something in the 1st three games to say they will finish  above all of them.  But I try my best to deal in reality. 

[quote name="EX-Ceauxch" post="847550" timestamp="1284499025"]
Smitty, I think they can get in at least the 4th spot.

All they have to do is have 1 [b]more[/b] point on the board than there opponent about 6 times and their in.

Just an observation...lol
[/quote]

[quote name="EX-Ceauxch" post="847591" timestamp="1284503246"]
I don't really understand all the flack Coach Spell is getting. I was told a long time ago by an old coach, "It's not about the X's and O's. It's more about the Larry's and the Joe's!"

In my opinion there is more to a great coach than just winning.(and he has done a lot of that) Coach Spell is a man with integrity and passion who teaches the kids about commitment and character. He has had some great kids play for him and come up with some great defensive schemes. He has coached through the bad times(August) and the good(Neumann). His family and faith have helped him through both those times and he sacrificed time with both to coach "The Communities Kids." I think there are a lot of men young and old who would say that Coach Spell was a man that taught them about life as well as football. I have had the privilege to coach with and against him and can only hope that my 2 sons are lucky enough to be coached by him. I don't know if you could find a better Defensive coordinator out there, [glow=red,2,300][u]but I sure as heck know you could do worse[/glow]![/u]

Go Dogs!!

[/quote]All I can say about D.Spell is he has above average kids on the D this year ..But he has not had them on the field at the same time becuase of the injury bug..Now come next Friday we will see because they should all be back and healthy. I think this is the best front we have had in a while..and probably the best backers we have had when Stampely is healthy,.As far as the secondary goes corners are a little shakey but two of the best safetys in district with Trevin & Jake..SO i GUESS WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS STARTING WITH VIDOR..I take it Smitty may have played for Spell to fill this way..I did indeed play for him and I did not like him  :o,,BUT I respect him and back him and I guess I can say I like the way he coaches now...My son (Trevin) seems to like him ;)SO that being said good luck to Spell and the Bulldogs..

Again, NO I didn't play for him.  My opinion is based on what I've seen over MANY years.  Remember, this DC was the same Dc that was the DC under DeRouren.  How were those defenses??  The first six years of Neauman, defense was nothing to write home about.  Between, I'll say, 1997 and 2002-2003, one says 2004, was pretty good.  Possibly law of averages.  LOL.  Anyway, since then the defense has gone back to what it was.  This is what I base my opinion on.  Someone playing for him and having this opinion, saying these things, it would suggest a personal assault.  Let me make it clear:  Nothing I say here is personal!!!!
My opinion is strictly based on on-field production as I see it.  Again, MY opinion!  I gave it three weeks this time to form my opinion.   Nothing personal!!  I hope Ned wins the state championship.  But we all know defense wins championships.  And, well...

[quote name="BaseBow" post="847866" timestamp="1284556296"]
[quote author=EX-Ceauxch link=topic=72900.msg847591#msg847591 date=1284503246]
I don't really understand all the flack Coach Spell is getting. I was told a long time ago by an old coach, "It's not about the X's and O's. It's more about the Larry's and the Joe's!"

In my opinion there is more to a great coach than just winning.(and he has done a lot of that) Coach Spell is a man with integrity and passion who teaches the kids about commitment and character. He has had some great kids play for him and come up with some great defensive schemes. He has coached through the bad times(August) and the good(Neumann). His family and faith have helped him through both those times and he sacrificed time with both to coach "The Communities Kids." I think there are a lot of men young and old who would say that Coach Spell was a man that taught them about life as well as football. I have had the privilege to coach with and against him and can only hope that my 2 sons are lucky enough to be coached by him. I don't know if you could find a better Defensive coordinator out there, [glow=red,2,300][u]but I sure as heck know you could do worse[/glow]![/u]

Go Dogs!!

[/quote]All I can say about D.Spell is he has above average kids on the D this year ..But he has not had them on the field at the same time becuase of the injury bug..Now come next Friday we will see because they should all be back and healthy. I think this is the best front we have had in a while..and probably the best backers we have had when Stampely is healthy,.As far as the secondary goes corners are a little shakey but two of the best safetys in district with Trevin & Jake..SO i GUESS WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS STARTING WITH VIDOR..I take it Smitty may have played for Spell to fill this way..I did indeed play for him and I did not like him  :o,,BUT I respect him and back him and I guess I can say I like the way he coaches now...My son (Trevin) seems to like him ;)SO that being said good luck to Spell and the Bulldogs..
[/quote]

[quote name="BigDog007" post="846588" timestamp="1284408457"]
The boys played a good game against BH not a great game. They are getting better each week and with the bye and injured reserve players coming back the district line up will have their hands full with the DOGS. Does anyone know what Raines role will be when Dionte comes back? To much talent to be sitting on the sidelines.
[/quote]

I would like to see Raines stay right where he is and use Dionte on defense and certain plays at QB. Raines has shown great improvement at QB and he is the DOGs future.Just my opinion.

IMHO...Nederlands problem(s) actually start in the middle schools. I am going out on a limb here to say that probably most of us in these forums are middle aged. Well when I was in junior high, they played flag football and you didn't play contact football until high school. We didn't have all the junior leagues (for all sports) like they do now (which I don't agree with either as you're seeing way too many injuries amongst such young boys). Not all boys play in these junior leagues though. THAT being said, the boys are not being properly prepared for high school football at at least ONE of the middle schools for sure in Nederland. Neumann might want to [u][b]REALLY[/b][/u] consider and take a look at what he hires at those levels considering they are the ones preparing the boys for HIS high school program. I had two sons play at one of the middle schools and I never before have witnessed such incompetence amongst the coaches. VERY basic changes just wouldn't be made. It was SO agonizing they (my boys) decided they didn't want to play at all in high school. Not because they didn't like the sport but it was made to be so depressing in junior high. THAT is what is happening in Nederland... the love of the game is being lost in the middle schools!! Would I like to see a house cleaning in Nederland? Why not? It certainly hasn't hurt PN-G. Sometimes people get too comfortable and things need to be shaken up! When you have talent and it isn't utilized then sometimes you might need to consider other options. I think Nederland has some serious talent right now too and the first district game will show everyone exactly what Nederland has to offer! Good luck guys!!!

[quote name="smitty" post="847849" timestamp="1284553404"]
You are right on the point situation.  But looking at the first 3 games, it appears, so far, that the elite teams are:  LC-M, Lumberton, Livingston, and PN-G.  [b]One can't rule out Central.  They have played fairly stiff competition.  So that leaves Ozen[/b] and Vidor that Nederland may be above.  I wish Nederland would have shown me something in the 1st three games to say they will finish  above all of them.  But I try my best to deal in reality.   

[quote author=EX-Ceauxch link=topic=72900.msg847550#msg847550 date=1284499025]
Smitty, I think they can get in at least the 4th spot.

All they have to do is have 1 [b]more[/b] point on the board than there opponent about 6 times and their in.

Just an observation...lol
[/quote]
[/quote]
I'm not saying this just to be down on Central, Lord knows I don't like Ozen, but two of their opponents were the same as Centrals' and they played them MUCH better than Central did. In my opinion your assessment of Central and Ozen should be reversed because frankly I see Ozen making an easier run into post season than Central this year.

We can all blame who we want about a poor start its our opinions but remember these are teenagers playing a mans sport. We all can point fingers at the sidelines and mouth off to the person sitting next to us at the game about either the coaching staff or the players performance. So i will remind all of us if we think we could coach better we should have changed our majors and applied for coaching jobs. We should also remember ""for those who played"" that these kids are playing the way they are coached just like we did when we played. Not everyone in this forum played for a state championship team but, every friday night we put on our pads and played our hearts out. These kids do the same thing and they feel the hurt of defeat just like we did. Positive attitudes are what these kids need to be reading about in these forums cause, yes they do read these forums. Regardless of a winning or loosing season everyone turn your ego's down a few notches and be supportive of our coaches and players.

You want find on here where, especially me, the kids are blamed.  Our kids are not any different then the kids from PN-G that went 10-0 last. 

[quote name="BigDog007" post="848003" timestamp="1284571344"]
We can all blame who we want about a poor start its our opinions but remember these are teenagers playing a mans sport. We all can point fingers at the sidelines and mouth off to the person sitting next to us at the game about either the coaching staff or the players performance. So i will remind all of us if we think we could coach better we should have changed our majors and applied for coaching jobs. We should also remember ""for those who played"" that these kids are playing the way they are coached just like we did when we played. Not everyone in this forum played for a state championship team but, every friday night we put on our pads and played our hearts out. These kids do the same thing and they feel the hurt of defeat just like we did. Positive attitudes are what these kids need to be reading about in these forums cause, yes they do read these forums. Regardless of a winning or loosing season everyone turn your ego's down a few notches and be supportive of our coaches and players.
[/quote]

You are right about one thing, stats can be looked up and provided as proof.  Where did you get the 200/yards a game figure?  Did you go back and find this as fact?  Just curious.
And you can use the word dominate if you want for those years.  But I feel those were the exceptions to the rule.  You provided one great game against Friendswood, and it's true.  But what about the late 90's game where 400 yards rushing by one Silsbee running back was given up? 

[quote name="Penny" post="847999" timestamp="1284570644"]
Bow... here she is.  I'm only chiming in on the misunderstanding of Nederland's defensive performances from 1997-2004.  Most every one of those year's, Nederland had not a good defense, but a DOMINANT defense.  The 1997 and 2000 defenses I would line up against any team in the state.  The 2001 defense carried them to the State Semi's with a DOMINANT performance against a high powered Friendswood in the regional final.  We had some great Larry's and Joe's from 97-04 and we played great hard nosed defense.  Speaking of the DeRouen era, I think Nederland had a defense that played in that old 5A district that allowed somewhere around 200 yards/game... I'm stretching my memory a bit.  Maybe WOSGrad can pull the data and we can look at facts.  That's all I was interested in clearing up in this post... the facts on how we played defense from 97-04.
[/quote]

Excellent post!  You are right, junior high is where the foundation is made.  These coaches are hired by Neauman.  Neauman's been there since 1992.  He should have gotten the coaches in junior high that he wants/needs.  Are you telling us that these coaches aren't doing a good coach of foundation building?  This, then, might be another problem.

[quote name="smiley93" post="847984" timestamp="1284569241"]
IMHO...Nederlands problem(s) actually start in the middle schools. I am going out on a limb here to say that probably most of us in these forums are middle aged. Well when I was in junior high, they played flag football and you didn't play contact football until high school. We didn't have all the junior leagues (for all sports) like they do now (which I don't agree with either as you're seeing way too many injuries amongst such young boys). Not all boys play in these junior leagues though. THAT being said, the boys are not being properly prepared for high school football at at least ONE of the middle schools for sure in Nederland. Neumann might want to [u][b]REALLY[/b][/u] consider and take a look at what he hires at those levels considering they are the ones preparing the boys for HIS high school program. I had two sons play at one of the middle schools and I never before have witnessed such incompetence amongst the coaches. VERY basic changes just wouldn't be made. It was SO agonizing they (my boys) decided they didn't want to play at all in high school. Not because they didn't like the sport but it was made to be so depressing in junior high. THAT is what is happening in Nederland... the love of the game is being lost in the middle schools!! Would I like to see a house cleaning in Nederland? Why not? It certainly hasn't hurt PN-G. Sometimes people get too comfortable and things need to be shaken up! When you have talent and it isn't utilized then sometimes you might need to consider other options. I think Nederland has some serious talent right now too and the first district game will show everyone exactly what Nederland has to offer! Good luck guys!!!
[/quote]

I would like to see Raines stay right where he is and use Dionte on defense and certain plays at QB. Raines has shown great improvement at QB and he is the DOGs future.Just my opinion.
[/quote]

I agree...would like to see Raines continue where he is at and put Dionte back on defense before changing it ALL up. Raines is an amazing athlete who has done a great job with the massive responsibility handed to him.

What happened to Penny's post??    ???
Was she a drive-by poster?  You know, take a few shots and leave.  ;D  ::)

[quote name="smitty" post="848015" timestamp="1284572280"]
You are right about one thing, stats can be looked up and provided as proof.  Where did you get the 200/yards a game figure?  Did you go back and find this as fact?  Just curious.
And you can use the word dominate if you want for those years.  But I feel those were the exceptions to the rule.  You provided one great game against Friendswood, and it's true.  But what about the late 90's game where 400 yards rushing by one Silsbee running back was given up?  

[quote author=Penny link=topic=72900.msg847999#msg847999 date=1284570644]
Bow... here she is.  I'm only chiming in on the misunderstanding of Nederland's defensive performances from 1997-2004.  Most every one of those year's, Nederland had not a good defense, but a DOMINANT defense.  The 1997 and 2000 defenses I would line up against any team in the state.  The 2001 defense carried them to the State Semi's with a DOMINANT performance against a high powered Friendswood in the regional final.  We had some great Larry's and Joe's from 97-04 and we played great hard nosed defense.  Speaking of the DeRouen era, I think Nederland had a defense that played in that old 5A district that allowed somewhere around 200 yards/game... I'm stretching my memory a bit.  Maybe WOSGrad can pull the data and we can look at facts.  That's all I was interested in clearing up in this post... the facts on how we played defense from 97-04.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Seems like the 2000 D held Bay City (State Champs) to a little over a 100 yards in the
quarterfinals. We had Sanchez -McNeese, Mayhew-Rice, Yoder -Tulsa, Pillitere-Mcneese and Bijeaux and Weatherly at the tackles. I know Im leaving some out but, other than DJ who is the last D player to get a scholarship?

Guest tappedout
I don't think Neumann and his staff has done anything different than they have in the past. It look's like they are having to depend on several sophomore's this season and there will be a lot of growing pains. Most good team's are not depending on a lot of young player's as Nederland is. PNG has one sophomore on it's entire roster and he is a backup kicker. I think ya'll Nederland fan's just need to be patient because there is several school's that would love to have Neumann as their coach. Nederland will probally struggle this year but watch out for them in the next 3 years straight.

[quote name="tappedout" post="848178" timestamp="1284588438"]
I don't think Neumann and his staff has done anything different than they have in the past. It look's like they are having to depend on several sophomore's this season and there will be a lot of growing pains. Most good team's are not depending on a lot of young player's as Nederland is. PNG has one sophomore on it's entire roster and he is a backup kicker. I think ya'll Nederland fan's just need to be patient because there is several school's that would love to have Neumann as their coach. Nederland will probally struggle this year but watch out for them in the next 3 years straight.
[/quote]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Agreed, IMO its just a cycle. Lets give these youngsters a chance to develop.

Smitty, I took it down, I didn't like my comment about the Larry's and Joe's, our kids at Nederland play very hard, I'm not interested in being critical of them in any way.  I'm from Nederland, I love our kids.  My point though is not conjecture and speculation, it isn't rose colored glasses, we had DOMINANT defenses from 1997 - 2004.  The Silsbee game you refer to was in 1993...  that's not the late 90's.  This was Neumann's first year, not 1992.  We didn't mix in a great game against Friendswood and Bay City every now and again... we had great defenses, most every year, and they played big in big games.  I will never forget the performances against Belton in 2000, the way we shutdown one of the area's leading rushers from Richmond Foster, the Bay City defensive domination against the future state champion (100ish total frikkin yards), the lockdown of high powered Friendswood in the regional final in 2001 when noone gave us much of a chance... the list goes on and on.  We won with defense, 56 sweep, and bootleg.  You are big into facts, go back and look at them.   

As for this year's defense, I'm very optimistic, in the past two games, over half of the yards have come on a handful of plays.  We have work to do, but we have kids flying to the football and playing fast.  We've played games without Sonnier, Kemp, Bill, and Stampley... these aren't role players, these are impact players.  We'll all get to see, but I think a healthy Dog defense will be a very tough Dog defense.... when we see it. 

Side note... Friday night at BH, we gave up 220ish yards.... there was 1 senior on the field.  I'd rather play with 2, but this speaks to the youth and potential of this defense.

[quote name="smiley93" post="847984" timestamp="1284569241"]
[/quote]

This is way over the top. I played Jr league in the 70's and played all my school sports in Nederland. We one 1 game a year at Jr High level and not very many in high school. You play because you love the sports, period. Most kids quite because they dont like the disciplne that goes with football. Some dont play because they specialize in other sports. Or they just hang out with the wrong crowd, either way, football is a sport you have love to play. As for as JR league football, I agree that some coaches out there do not know what is going on, however it is no different than other youths sports. The most inportant to any young player is to know to keep their head when they tackle so they dont get hurt.
Kids should have fun in league sports but if they cant hack they need to find something else to do.

By the way most all of the sophmores if not all them that are playing on Friday night play Jr league football is about half and half between hte 2 schools, and there are more coming right behind them. It is not for everyone.

Are you aware the Central beat CO 8th grade A team for the first time 10 years last year

[quote name="Warpaint101" post="848336" timestamp="1284604995"]
This is ridiculous,the only problem Nederland has had is injuries at key positions,other than that, they are going to always be 1 of the top 4 in 20-4a ....

This thread has gotten way out of hand!!
Cant wait to see yall at MCM!      Good luck on the rest of your season..
[/quote]

I agree. I am moving on too

Anyone who would make a blanket statement that the middle schools are the problem with Nederland's football program obviously isn't very well acquainted with Jack Lynch. 

Your budding superstars at Central may have had bad experiences, but your initial statement about both schoolsis just wrong.  It is not a coaching problem at Central it is an overall talent problem.  C.O. traditionally has more of the better athletes.  As long as both middle schools are teaching the fundamentals of Neumann's system and replenishing the ranks in high school the middle school coaches at both schools are doing their jobs. 

I'd like to hear everyone's comments on these stats:

Matt Burnett's record his last 5 seasons at PNG, 2004 - 2008: 
29 - 22 overall
2 - 2 playoffs
2 District or Co-District Championships
1 Losing Season

Larry Neumann's record his last 5 complete seasons at Nederland, 2005 - 2009: 
29 - 24 overall
3 - 4 playoffs
0 District Championships
1 Losing Season

These records are VERY similar yet one coach was "reassigned" and the other is generally regarded as one of the best coaches in the area.  Why the discrepancy???

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder